The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2010, 08:54 AM   #61
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
"Respectfully noted Gent's"......

(To be honest though I was chuffed to bits to be 'recognised' on the list & I don't want to 'dismiss' it entirely...... so I've changed my signature to what I hope is an acceptable compromise? )

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 09:07 AM   #62
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbutler View Post
This.

I remember the wives list that had a female member here upset for being left off it. I guess some things don't change.
There are children in this country committing suicide because they feel excluded and bullied. Maybe as adults some of us still need to reevaluate the way we treat each other
Well said sir

And to JJ, thank you for posting this thread mate
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 09:18 AM   #63
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

[FlameSuitOn] Quite frankly, I dont see why one aspires to acquire a nickname. I have an x wife who has PLENTY of them for me! [/FlameSuitOff]
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 09:36 AM   #64
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
The whole thing is childish, stupid and silly. Posters racking up huge post counts with all the foolishness. The watch section on TRF, the main reason this forum exists will not be taken seriously by those who have a good bit of watch knowledge that we can all learn from. TRF needs more people with watch knowledge and less of this stupidity.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:02 AM   #65
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are children in this country committing suicide because they feel excluded and bullied.
Or bringing guns to school, etc.

Not to jack this thread, but I have a story that this post brings back to me. YEARS ago when I was in high school (30+) there was a kid in school who was very shy, and physically unassuming. He didnt appear to have many, if ANY friends.

At some point, some of the more popular kids, (Football/hockey players) decided to start picking on this kid. No REASON per say, they just singled him out. It started with name calling, and eventually graduated to physical abuse. I wasn't part of the "In" crowd so to speak, and I vividly remember my thoughts running in the "Sheesh. I am just glad it's not me" direction.

In those days, school shootings just didnt happen. 30 years later, while I obviously don't condone this behavior, I can see what drives it. You tell a 15 year old kid he is worthless, ignore him, and on top of that physically abuse him, and that kid is going to "Snap"

Looking back, I regret not stepping in and defending the kid. I wasnt like I hadnt been in a few scrapes from time to time. As a matter of fact, I spent a good portion of my junior and senior year at school on Saturdays for that very thing.

I run across a couple of the thugs from time to time, and it takes every INCH of will power NOT to lay them out flat, 30 YEARS after the fact.

My point? Defend people who need it, and treat people well. It matters.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:29 AM   #66
jbutler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
The whole thing is childish, stupid and silly. Posters racking up huge post counts with all the foolishness. The watch section on TRF, the main reason this forum exists will not be taken seriously by those who have a good bit of watch knowledge that we can all learn from. TRF needs more people with watch knowledge and less of this stupidity.
Second. Its no fun to look into a post that sounds interesting and see pages of inside jokes and silly banter. I think "cliquish" was a great way to put it.
jbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:35 AM   #67
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
I'm glad things have been put into perspective - the last thing TRF should be is cliquey. It's one of the reasons why I joined in the first place - the warmth and friendliness found here is truly unique amongst online forums. We can laugh, learn and share our lives here, an the last thing any of us want is for a new member to be put off by something like the tosser list. Don't get me wrong, it has been fun, and I still think it's fantastic that JJ participates in all the banter - but all good things have to come to an end.

I just have my worries that TRF has been entering a negative patch recently. We've lost some good (and bad) members, and perhaps certain members have been overstepping the mark a bit. Let's get back to what we do best - talk watches, gently take the piss out of each other, and have a damn good time doing it

Best wishes

Chris
Well said, Chris. I think people get a bit too carried away here at times and it's time to take a step back and re-evaluate what brought us here in the first place
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:35 AM   #68
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thank you, my friends, for all the fine responses and even suggestions.

And boy am I glad I got this off my chest!!

This is one helluva nice, clean, family forum - let's keep it that way.........and, with a little bit of luck and persuasion, maybe we can get some of our previous members (both guys and gals) who left us, to come back and post like before.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:38 AM   #69
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Thank you, my friends, for all the fine responses and even suggestions.

And boy am I glad I got this off my chest!!

This is one helluva nice, clean, family forum - let's keep it that way.........and, with a little bit of luck and persuasion, maybe we can get some of our previous members (both guys and gals) who left us, to come back and post like before.

JJ
All of them?
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:39 AM   #70
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
All of them?
I did say "some" of our previous members, Leo!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:41 AM   #71
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I did say "some" of our previous members, Leo!!
I read too fast.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:41 AM   #72
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
All of them?
What about that troll with the big red lipstick?

Still gives me the creeps!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:43 AM   #73
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about that troll with the big red lipstick?
Was she,,,,,,, you know,,,,,,HOT??!!
Old 14 April 2010, 10:44 AM   #74
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Was she,,,,,,, you know,,,,,,HOT??!!

It was a HE.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:45 AM   #75
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
It was a HE.
a HE with issues
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:45 AM   #76
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was a HE.
Roh-roh,,,
Old 14 April 2010, 10:52 AM   #77
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Sorry but I take some offense to the word "Clique". There are alot of people who have been here for quite a while, who have shared 1000's of posts together and that is going to create a camaraderie and personal knowledge that might appear "cliquish" to a new member...but it's not.

Within the last 6 months there have been alot of new members who have come on and joined right in like they have been here for years. Dan (Spuds), Marie and OrchidDr are just a few who come to mind.

Either hang around and communicate long enough with fellow members to create your own "presence" here, pass over the threads you think are "cliquish"...or just go over to TZ and put yourself out of your misery.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 10:55 AM   #78
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
Sorry but I take some offense to the word "Clique". There are alot of people who have been here for quite a while, who have shared 1000's of posts together and that is going to create a camaraderie and personal knowledge that might appear "cliquish" to a new member...but it's not.

Within the last 6 months there have been alot of new members who have come on and joined right in like they have been here for years. Dan (Spuds), Marie and OrchidDr are just a few who come to mind.

Either hang around and communicate long enough with fellow members to create your own "presence" here, pass over threads you think are "cliquish"...or just go over to TZ and put yourself out of your misery.

Extremly well said, I wish I could articulate myself like that.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:56 AM   #79
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Kudos JJ for passing down the decree from the CEO himself!

But FWIW, I enjoyed the HOF status you have bestowed on me! I'll wear it like a badge of honor.
Old 14 April 2010, 10:57 AM   #80
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Extremly well said, I wish I could articulate myself like that.
Thanks Leo!
Old 14 April 2010, 11:05 AM   #81
Brunotheboxer
Banned

Watch: 16610,PAM. 111, G
Quote:

Either hang around and communicate long enough with fellow members to create your own "presence" here, pass over the threads you think are "cliquish"...or just go over to TZ and put yourself out of your misery.
Very well said Coop. Big
Brunotheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:10 AM   #82
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Well, that was uncalled for..............
If no one wanted the General discussion it wouldn't be there. We can all agree the more the merrier as far as watch experts, but no reason to say anyone or generalize any group or discussion as stupid. Ignore it learn from the watch section and move on.
Who cares how many post one racks up, you mention watch knowledge, stick to that part of the forum and you'll be fine.
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:11 AM   #83
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
Very well said Coop. Big
Thanks Bruno! Love the Boxer with the shades pic Saved that one to disc.
Old 14 April 2010, 11:12 AM   #84
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:

Wow Allan,well said!

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:15 AM   #85
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by figbo View Post
With all due respect,I disagree with you.This is an open discussion forum,if you want to talk watches,there are plenty of other threads available.
x2

I too, respectfully disagree as I do not see anywhere where it has been definitively written that this will cease.

I'm a newly registered member but had been a guest to this site more than a few times in the past. I didn't envision the number of thread starters or postings I would I do since joining as a member to this community, but I find myself active due to the site it is....

Besides the obvious of this forum (for me) is the warmth that is displayed here by all who share a common interest leading to other shared interests and dialogue on the topic. Of course the acquaintances we make may lead to friendships as evidenced by the GTG's, etc

With that said, I would venture a guess that the majority of members are adults and have the foresight to recognize what is written by one to be taken for what it is, banter. If it isn't, the rest will be taken cared of by the mod's.

I agree about hijacking someone's thread and I know I have done so, at least in my mind, but all with good intentions and never disrespect. However, if the op or other's in a particular thread engage in good 'ole repartee, I'd say so be it, heck, I may even join in within reason of course.

Imho, It not only fosters one's relationship and rapport, it helps to keep the mood light, bring chuckles and smiles.

My take on this, one cannot please everyone as there are always someone out there who'll take exception. If you happen to read or see something that rubs you wrong , don't go any further. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks TRF for the platform here today.

Cheers everybody!
Joel
t e x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:15 AM   #86
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

Ok what about ROLOSSER....
Old 14 April 2010, 11:16 AM   #87
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
I took this out of my signature "Bastid Tosser WANNABE since Jan 2010. On the "
Apparently being a "Tosser " has lost it's merit. So I give it little importance then.
I thought it was a fun little game to seek the status, no particularly the top spot. I am not deleting it from my signature solely because of this Thread, but just because the thread brought to light that it really has no significance.
I think it is more childish to be ofended by it then to be caught up in the fun of it all.
That is just my opinion though. I can think of far worse things in an instant than this "tosser" stuff.
I guess I'll stick to the Watch section, just because things have gotten wierd around here since March. I lurked around for more than a year. It's all good though.
Everyone here in my opinion is pretty cool, so it's not the people or even the topics.
With David leaving and now the tosser thing being an issue, it's like we forgot how to have fun around here, but I guess even, having fun has become relative. Oh well, I'll still be a pledge member.
I'll still be around. I just let go of the tosser wannabe quote unquote "NONSENSE"
PEACE!
ESKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:18 AM   #88
figbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: tt GMT2c,Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESKO View Post
I took this out of my signature "Bastid Tosser WANNABE since Jan 2010. On the "
Apparently being a "Tosser " has lost it's merit. So I give it little importance then.
I thought it was a fun little game to seek the status, no particularly the top spot. I am not deleting it from my signature solely because of this Thread, but just because the thread brought to light that it really has no significance.
I think it is more childish to be ofended by it then to be caught up in the fun of it all.
That is just my opinion though. I can think of far worse things in an instant than this "tosser" stuff.
I guess I'll stick to the Watch section, just because things have gotten wierd around here since March. I lurked around for more than a year. It's all good though.
Everyone here in my opinion is pretty cool, so it's not the people or even the topics.
With David leaving and now the tosser thing being an issue, it's like we forgot how to have fun around here, but I guess even, having fun has become relative. Oh well, I'll still be a pledge member.
I'll still be around. I just let go of the tosser wannabe quote unquote "NONSENSE"
PEACE!
Tranquilo mi hermano!

p club member #9
figbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:19 AM   #89
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Uh....

Listen, if any member is offended because I have the word.. well.. the one we are talking about on here in my signature, then I will apologize. As a bloody Yank I honestly always thought it was just a fun word... Anyway, I have enjoyed JJ using it... and my never-ending quest to make the coveted list. I appreciate JJs concern for members family members and such, but is it really that bad? I enjoy it too much to just forget about the list, and JJ calling me a... you know. I thought it was all in fun... maybe I'm missing something...
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2010, 11:19 AM   #90
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by figbo View Post
Wow Allan,well said!
Thanks Raf! It just got me peeved that people bantering back and forth and enjoying each others company here would be thought of as a clique.

Especially when many members go out of their way to welcome new people and congratulate a member on a new purchase

To those folks, dont perceive it that way...just join in...the water's fine!