The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 September 2012, 10:16 PM   #61
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
I bought an e90 M3 sedan this year, and am still saving up for an AP 15202. So car over watch for me. I love hearing the engine in parking garages, under bridges, and in tunnels. Nothing like a V8 to make you smile I say.
Put an eisenmann on the e90 and you'll really be able to listen to her. I've owned many Ms and the e90 is my favorite. Enjoy in good health!
Chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2012, 10:22 PM   #62
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
The watch is a better investment IMHO.

Foe example my M5 was about 180K euro new in Finland. (Crazy car taxes ) Worth now? Just south of 50K. Now that's a 130K euro price fall in 6! years!

It's hard to beat the degradation of car value. Sure you could always have bought a MacLaren F1 (original) when nobody wanted them pretty cheap. Store it in the garage get a million for it now.
Old 27 September 2012, 10:24 PM   #63
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing like a V8 to make you smile I say.
A V10 with deleted secondary cats and supersprint exhaust.
Old 27 September 2012, 11:08 PM   #64
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Watch is the better long term investment.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2012, 11:50 PM   #65
inspires
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
All I can say is that with all the money I spent on cars in the past would've amounted to a pretty sweet watch collection if my love of watches began then.
Old 28 September 2012, 12:47 AM   #66
MMMMM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulo View Post
Put an eisenmann on the e90 and you'll really be able to listen to her. I've owned many Ms and the e90 is my favorite. Enjoy in good health!
Thanks Ben. Or akrapovic evolution, but the stock exhaust isn't bad for now. At least until the warranty runs out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
A V10 with deleted secondary cats and supersprint exhaust.
Oh, indeed.
MMMMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 04:35 AM   #67
FightOnSC!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP. Rolex. The end
my watches and my car are a huge imbalance. most people would not suspect I own the pieces I do based on the vehicle I drive every day....but hey...cars come and go. watches don't have to (I rarely, if ever sell a watch I buy....RARELY).

driving what I do allows me to have more money for things that are longer lasting like a nice watch!
FightOnSC! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2012, 12:07 PM   #68
MMMMM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightOnSC! View Post
my watches and my car are a huge imbalance. most people would not suspect I own the pieces I do based on the vehicle I drive every day....but hey...cars come and go. watches don't have to (I rarely, if ever sell a watch I buy....RARELY).

driving what I do allows me to have more money for things that are longer lasting like a nice watch!
It's all good. You have much respect from me for having self control and not spending money on an expensive car; and I'm jealous because it allows you to have more money for nice watches.
Old 28 September 2012, 12:19 PM   #69
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks Ben. Or akrapovic evolution, but the stock exhaust isn't bad for now. At least until the warranty runs out.

Oh, indeed.
Akra is nice, a little more raspy. Eisenmann is more beefy and throaty. I have the race on my m3. Loud when on it reasonable when not.

V10 without cats? Do tell.
Old 29 September 2012, 10:04 AM   #70
MMMMM3

Quote:
Akra is nice, a little more raspy. Eisenmann is more beefy and throaty. I have the race on my m3. Loud when on it reasonable when not.

I like the raspy sound. It sounds more Italian (Ferrari) like to my ears.

Don't have access to a V10 myself, but would definitely jump at the chance to try one. Lexus LFA or Porsche Carrera GT would be nice.
Old 29 September 2012, 12:18 PM   #71
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Car values drop very quickly as the mileage increases. Watches do not decrease with mileage, though they can lose some value with age and wear. Some watches actually go up in value, which is rare for most vehicles today (though classic and collectible cars are an exception...)

A car is not brand new after it is serviced. A watch can be practically new after it is serviced (at least with high end brands). Rebuilding all the worn parts on a car would be unrealistically expensive in comparison to a watch.

An expensive watch can often be found new at 25-30% off. A new car is usually only 10% off at dealer cost, so finding one at even 10% off is rare unless a dealer is going out of business.

You can bring your watches almost anywhere, but you have to park your car at some point and leave it somewhere. Thus you can admire and enjoy using your watches 24/7, while the enjoyment of a vehicle is more limited.

There are big changes made in a car's technology every few years, so unless a car is going to be a modern classic (worth something special in a few decades...) it is obsolete fairly quick, while watch movements are often mostly making lateral movements in design philosophy. The changes in watch movements do not necessarily make the older models obsolete.

I've had both over the years, but if push came to shove, I would gladly sell my sports car over my watches any day of the week.
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2012, 05:30 PM   #72
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
Fortunately, I have no real interest in cars except that it gets me from home to one worksite to another and back.

Any watch I wear now has more value than my ride. And in some economies, it's safer to drive a middle-class vehicle. Easier to tell people my watch is a replica but you cannot tell them the BMW is a fake.
dpkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2012, 06:48 PM   #73
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well not completely without cats, there's still the primary cats (right after the headers).

But the primaries have their days counted, but can't delete those, as the car won't make the MOT then obviously... But you can replace them with Race-cats.

I've been modding my E60 M5 a bit, funny that it's my 5th M car, but I never did any modifications to the other ones I've owned. This one sort of begs to be punished. I don't trash it though, that's not what I meant, I drive it quite rarely, and it will stay in it's heated garage all winter.

A friend of mine has the same car with deleted secondary cats, deleted resonator and race mufflers from eisenmann, his V10 is loud! Crazy raspy too, you think the engine is about to explode!
Old 29 September 2012, 06:56 PM   #74
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Oddly enough those Z3M Coupes with the S54 engine are going up in value rather steeply, one of my mates in NSW sold his for a 15K profit after driving it 6 years, but then its one of only 168 ever made. I guess you can get lucky with cars as with watches, just not as often.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 12:56 AM   #75
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well not completely without cats, there's still the primary cats (right after the headers).

But the primaries have their days counted, but can't delete those, as the car won't make the MOT then obviously... But you can replace them with Race-cats.

I've been modding my E60 M5 a bit, funny that it's my 5th M car, but I never did any modifications to the other ones I've owned. This one sort of begs to be punished. I don't trash it though, that's not what I meant, I drive it quite rarely, and it will stay in it's heated garage all winter.

A friend of mine has the same car with deleted secondary cats, deleted resonator and race mufflers from eisenmann, his V10 is loud! Crazy raspy too, you think the engine is about to explode!
Very cool. E60 definitely begs to rev. The shame with that car, imo, is the gearbox. The 6 speed is too busy, and the SMG II was under baked. If that monster had the DCT from the E90, it would have been perfect. All that said, few things sound like that engine under full whomp. Enjoy in good health!
Old 30 September 2012, 01:12 AM   #76
bayerische
"TRF" Member

The E60 M5 has the SMG III, and I honestly can't understand peoples beef with the gearbox. I absolutely love it.

You have to be a pretty awesome driver/shifter to beat a properly functioning SMG 3 shifts. So perfect every time. Not to speak about the perfectly rpm matched down shifts.
Old 30 September 2012, 01:18 AM   #77
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The E60 M5 has the SMG III, and I honestly can't understand peoples beef with the gearbox. I absolutely love it.

You have to be a pretty awesome driver/shifter to beat a properly functioning SMG 3 shifts. So perfect every time. Not to speak about the perfectly rpm matched down shifts.
My bad.. I was never crazy about how abruptly it shifted in day to day driving. The rev matching is amazing. The DCT in my E90 is vastly superior to that of the E60, so I guess Im using that as a benchmark. Amazing car either way. Exhaust??

I still miss my E39 M5. That car was a beast.
Old 30 September 2012, 01:35 AM   #78
bayerische
"TRF" Member

I also had a M5 e39. The rawest was the Z4M, not much electronic stuff for a modern car.

My old E39 M5 is still in the family, my younger brother has it.

I've also had 2 M5 E34, both 3,6L and the 3,8L. Awesome cars, especially the 3,8 liter version.

The exhaust I have now is stock until the secondary cats, that are deleted, from there Supersprint. I also have the Alpha N tune, so no more MAF's for me. A temperature sensor takes the place of one of the mafs. Fuel etc is set according to presets on a file according to aipressure/temperature load, etc.

Like so: (installation not ready) The alpha N software is from Evolve. Really excellent. Best part of it is the extremely accurate throttle response. Feels like there was actually a metal wire connected to the throttle bodies instead of the stupid drive-by-wire system BMW has. Also possible to change the parameters and targets yourself... But better not! Another great thing is that error codes can now be read/reset with the supplied software and cable.

Old 30 September 2012, 01:40 AM   #79
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Another thing Chulo, the US SMG III has another software than the EU cars. Most americans update their SMG software to the Euro settings. Supposedly much better and smoother.
Old 30 September 2012, 03:02 AM   #80
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I love them both. Yes the watch will hold its value better than a sports car. But I can say my recently sold 800 HP Corvette put more smiles on my face than any possession I've ever had. It's a lot like our boat. The enjoyment we get out of these items is worth the loss in value. Also my watches are enjoyed only by me. My cars, boat, and RV can be enjoyed by many and we have tons of memories that are priceless when using them. I'm not saying one is better they are just different. If I want to buy something that won't lose value ill buy a chunk of gold. I don't buy any luxury item with real concern about it keeping its value. That's why they are luxury items.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 03:08 AM   #81
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Another thing Chulo, the US SMG III has another software than the EU cars. Most americans update their SMG software to the Euro settings. Supposedly much better and smoother.
You guys get all the good stuff. Cool to hear your E39 is still in the family.
Old 30 September 2012, 07:42 AM   #82
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You guys get all the good stuff. Cool to hear your E39 is still in the family.
IMHO you guys get all the good stuff! I guess it's true the neighbours green Will always be greener.
Old 1 October 2012, 01:55 PM   #83
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
Sold my G to buy couple of Ap's
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdicxZ8G384
Willygallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 01:57 PM   #84
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
sold my Gallardo for AP's