The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2015, 07:02 PM   #61
Kyle13
"TRF" Member

I don't know why this is annoying me so much

Being 19 years old too, and having a girlfriend that comes from a very wealthy family, I understand exactly what your thinking. How I ended up dealing with it was looking at it from a more mature point of view. Yes, she may get everything handed to her with the snap of her fingers, and you have to work your ass off to get something, but realize, you will have a deeper appreciation for everything you get in life, you will have earned that yourself, nothing can beat the feeling of self accomplishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 07:04 PM   #62
WristEnvy
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG @watch.kakashi
I have a great idea. How about you take up a 3rd job and get a platona and outdo her that way!

Honestly though, she's your girlfriend, why can't you just be happy for her? You already know her family is wealthy, so you know the situation you are in. If you aren't comfortable with that, don't know what to tell you.

No matter how hard you work or how successful you become, there'll always be someone wealthier than you for whatever reason. Welcome to the real world!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
WristEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 07:11 PM   #63
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Well if it makes you feel any better, I buy my Wife's watches and I work all the time lol. Before we had our first child she got 2 of them. Now, she earns them, trust me!! Stay at home Mommy is one tough job!!!!
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 09:49 PM   #64
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Well dude, welcome to the real world. Quit comparing your life situation to others. Be happy that you have things that make you happy. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
CURRENT: Rolex Daytona 116520, Submariner 114060, Oyster Perpetual 36mm 116034, Submariner Date 16610LN, Explorer II 16570, Omega Seamaster Professional 36mm 2263.80.00, Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00.

SOLD: Rolex Explorer 114270, Submariner 14060M, JLC Reverso Grand Taille.
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 09:52 PM   #65
jack81
"TRF" Member

Life isnt fair?? You should look at it at different angle. You got a gf that loves you and come from moderately wealthy family. If u dont screw up and manage to marry her, well the rest is up to you.
jack81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 09:53 PM   #66
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Work hard and you will be able to buy your daughter when you have children one rather than her saving.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 09:56 PM   #67
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
You're working your way through college without loans? That's pretty incredible these days!

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 10:08 PM   #68
Star Ferry
Banned

Marry her. If you can't beat them, join them
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 10:18 PM   #69
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
this is a watch forum not a whining forum
Actually, there tends to be a lot of whining around these parts.

And the forum is to express thoughts. Which he did. So settle down skippy.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 10:21 PM   #70
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Sounds to me like she wants to share your Passion for watches. I would be very Happy that you didnt have to buy it for her. Would have been a few more years of working part time jobs. So now you have more free time you can spend together. Time to show her Dad the house she likes next.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 10:24 PM   #71
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
You sound like a hard working kid. Paying your way and still enough on the side for a Rolex. Just think with that work ethic 30 years from now you might be in a position to buy your son or daughter their first Rolex. And I bet it would bring back all the same great emotions buying your first did. This is not about you and your accomplishments. It is not about your girlfriend and hers. It's about her father working hard to be able to do this for his daughter like most of us would hope to be able to do. I'm sorry you cant appreciate that now but I bet in the future you will.

On a side note I hope she doesn't become such a Rolex fan that she joins this forum. She might not enjoy this thread very much.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 12:12 AM   #72
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Be glad she didn't ask you to buy it for her.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 12:21 AM   #73
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinmg View Post
Be glad she didn't ask you to buy it for her.
I would never buy a Rolex for a 'girlfriend'.....only a 'wife' MAYBE a 'fiancé'....

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many gold diggers out there who will take the 'rollie' and leave your pathetic A**

"not me...my girlfriend really loves me"...sure she does bruh....
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 12:32 AM   #74
RolexAuthority
Banned

Your 19 your Rolex will outlast your current gf - trust me, otherwise it's a Platona from father in law on wedding day
RolexAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 12:48 AM   #75
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

This is annoying you for one reason only.
whether you admit it or not, or deny it, you are jealous of the fact that she did not have to work for her's and all she had to do was ask daddy.

If you can't handle that you should dump her now, because some day down the road daddy might could pay for your wedding, and offer to pay for a luxurious honeymoon, and worst of all, he may give her a giant downpayment for a house that your income couldn't afford.

Life is awful man. Dump her now!

Or smile and enjoy the ride.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 12:55 AM   #76
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
If I were you, I wouldn't think about it any further or let it bother you and be happy for her. You are doing the the right thing finishing your education and preparing to make a life for yourself and whoever you marry.
If you step back and think about it...1) Daughter asks Dad for a watch. 2) A Rolex is within their realm of affordability 3) Dad buys his daughter a Rolex.
From their side this is perfectly "normal".
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 01:12 AM   #77
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
In life there are those that work hard and have nothing and those who hardly work and have much.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 02:20 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I understand how you feel, at school you always had the rich kids who always had the latest and greatest and at that age that really seemed to matter, but now you're an adult you have to let things go and let life be. Just do you and be happy that maybe your love of Rolex has influenced your GF and even your father in law; most of our families now threaten us with castration when we dare talk watches.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 02:22 AM   #79
Hi-roller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT's,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Hi-roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 02:30 AM   #80
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samui View Post
this is a watch forum not a whining forum
Try seaching for cyclops magnification issues before you decide if this is a watch or whining forum.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 05:21 AM   #81
Traveler3355
"TRF" Member

Just wait til your at a party. The look on someones face when they ask you how you got yours. You say oh I saved up for 3 years and bought it. And they'll say oh congrats good for you. And ask your gf, shell say her dad bought it for her after she asked about rolex watches for first time. Just look at that persons face that asks. Try not to laugh when it happens. Your welcome
Traveler3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 05:34 AM   #82
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
There isn't a reason to be mad. Life isn't fair and its not suppose to be. i would take your experience of getting your own rolex a self achievement and it doesn't matter about how ever anyone got there watch. I would be happy for her. I would love my girlfriend to have a rolex. She doesn't want to spend 5k on a watch. (She wants me to buy her the watch, lol). Now you both can enjoy a rolex together no matter how she got it.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 05:40 AM   #83
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I am happy for people when they are happy, I don't feel bad when others obtain nice things I am just happy for them. Yes I work hard for everything some people don't have to and good for them! they can still enjoy life, otherwise you are going to grow up being a "hater" and thats bad for your health
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 06:21 AM   #84
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I've been in your situation a few times - I always rationalize this by reminding myself that those who come from wealth do not appreciate/enjoy the things money buys them as much as those who have to work hard for it.

As an analogy, I eat out at regular restaurants pretty often just because I can afford to now that I have a real job and am earning decent coin. For my parents, eating at a restaurant is always something special because for them, they see a McDonald's combo as an hour's wage. Whenever I bring them out to a restaurant for dinner these days, they probably enjoy the meal way more than I do.

Does that make sense?
imperio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 06:55 AM   #85
Porter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor....
Great! Don't need to save money to buy one for her in the future!!! Is done!!!
Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 07:04 AM   #86
vipergts
"TRF" Member

dump her. daddy's spoiled little girl. as soon as you tell her no or you can't afford something she will complain/run to daddy and she will probably always compare you to him. hear me now, believe me latter. and anyone that doesn't get this concept was probably born with a silver spoon in their mouthes.
vipergts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 07:40 AM   #87
asleep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaly12 View Post
I pity her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash L View Post
Sounds like marriage material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzz View Post
I think you should just leave her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aayates View Post
Don't blow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergts View Post
dump her. daddy's spoiled little girl.
There.

You got it? Clear? Good.

Either go with the above, or drink a lot of wine and write love sonnets to her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
We were there,

but then not there

until our mouths seemed to meld into one.

Nothing else matters or ever will.
asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 07:54 AM   #88
DPE
"TRF" Member

No big deal. She has a new watch for free, but it is a present for her hard work from her parents. Her Dad wants to provide a present that will last for years. You have worked also hard for years to buy your own, you have appreciation.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 08:05 AM   #89
TripleB Boston
Banned

Watch: GMTII Blue/Red
I hope as a new watch enthusiast, she doesn't visit this website...

Congrats on your purchase. At 19, you are surely well ahead of the game.
TripleB Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 08:17 AM   #90
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF2018 View Post
I don't know why this is making me so mad... I first aquired my first Rolex a few months ago in July. I posted on here the day I got because I was so ecstatic that that I finally achieved my goal. I'm 19 years old and do not come from wealth at all. I've been working ever since I was able too and after 3 long years of saving saving up for the explorer that caught my eye when I was 16, I was able to buy it. I'm working two part time jobs and pay for everything myself, my college tuition, dorm, food, everything and without any loans. I was so proud of myself, but now my girlfriend of 4 years who I care very much about has all of a sudden started caring about watches. She has worn the same Micheal kors watch for the entire time I have known her. She comes from a moderately wealthy family and today she went home from school after finals and she asked her dad (who bought his first Rolex this year, a rose gold Daytona) for one and within a couple hours she was at the AD and he bought her a brand new datejust with the gold flutted bezel.

For some reason this just bothers me but it shouldn't. In the end we both got what we wanted but I worked so hard to be able to buy a used one from davidsw (I absolute love it) and she just asked not caring about watches and gets a brand new just given to her.

I'm happy for her but annoyed at the same time! Please help me just be happy we now share a common love
You're only 19
Unfortunately, you will see things that are more unfair, and worse, unjust
This Rolex thing will pale in comparison

Enjoy your successes!
And you'll be happier if you don't compare the cards you were dealt vs what others have received by no efforts of their own

Who knows, in a couple of decades, perhaps you'll be buying your daughter a Rolex just because she asks and just because you can
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote