The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2010, 06:57 AM   #61
Denizen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
no need to be a smart a--
come again?! i don't think my answers were smart a--. i answered your questions in a rather straigh-forward manner without being sarcastic or too flippant.

[that emoticon at the end of my post is a grin btw. strange that this forum don't use the standard looking one.]
Old 9 May 2010, 07:01 AM   #62
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
As another trf member posted, one just needs to checkout wus.

Here's a 1st time mention on this thread. Ball watches have a place in history, since 1891 which is quite interesting.

I had posted this in another thread regarding lume:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=126516

"What's cool about Ball watches are the micro gas tubes, either T25 or T100~High mCi which means that the watch dial has more than 25 mCi tritium and up to but not greater than 100 mCi of tritium total in the micro gas tubes on that dial. I believe Ball watches are or were the only watches allowed into the U.S. that may have dials with more than the standard T25 rating."

It'll take the lume 25 years before one needs to replace and I believe Ball will replace the gas micro tubes.

Checkout this review, it is worth it:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=136896

Of course my ball emt ii diver is a non dlc model and differs slightly form the model reviewed. The bracelet is solid and I do have the rubber strap as pictured in the review...for <$1500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball2.jpg (30.0 KB, 260 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ball.zip (373.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 9 May 2010, 07:48 AM   #63
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I challenge all my friends here - name a better dive watch - any brand for $3,000 or less.
Suunto D9.
Old 9 May 2010, 09:00 AM   #64
dukerules
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I can name a bunch of pieces that are clearly better watches for diving than that referenced by the OP (UTS makes an amazing watch, and IMO the Sinn U1 is the best deal in diver watchdom). That said, there is just something about a Rolex diver that makes it special. It might not be the best diver specification-wise, but it has plenty of intangibles, as well as unsurpassed versatility, all of which combine to make it something special. I've owned plenty of nice dive watches, but my 16600 is still my favorite.

Instagram: dukerules
Old 9 May 2010, 09:24 AM   #65
alfanator
"TRF" Member

From my personal experience, the humble Seiko 007 is one heck of a watch.
Old 9 May 2010, 09:29 AM   #66
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
hmmm...you might need to get out more.

i've come across plenty of testimony from Seiko owners about some of their watches which have lasted for decades without being serviced and which still keep good time.

Rolex does a lot of things well but i wouldn't say they're the only brand who can claim extreme durability with their movements.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure I get out enough, and if my life depended on my watch not failing during deep water saturation dives or an accidental hard shock underwater, I would take a Sub or Sea Dweller over anything out of Japan any day of the week :-)
Explorer I 114270
Old 9 May 2010, 12:54 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
Thanks but I'm pretty sure I get out enough, and if my life depended on my watch not failing during deep water saturation dives or an accidental hard shock underwater, I would take a Sub or Sea Dweller over anything out of Japan any day of the week :-)
I've never known anyone's life to depend on a wrist watch during a deep water saturation dive. Anyone. Ever. I'm a diver and if you're deep water saturation diving with only a wrist watch, you're a fool and you probably would have died by your own foolishness long before your big dive. Yes I know all about the Comex divers.

That being said, the Rolex SD, Rolex Sub and the Seiko MM 300 are all great tool watches built like tanks.

The Seiko 300 MM is about 5 thousand less then the Sub and 7 thousand less then the Deep Sea SD.

Explain to me why the Rolexs are sooooo much more $$$$. Hell, Seiko's Grand Seiko line beats Rolexs COSC times.

"Better" is subjective. With Rolex you pay for marketing. You're paying for a name. Nothing wrong with it. Hell, I want a no-date Sub.

Seiko, you're paying for a watch.

My Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001 out on the job site:

a little better pic:

Old 9 May 2010, 01:12 PM   #68
springbar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh007 View Post
Ok I'll answer it myself.......... EXTREME DURABILITY.
Depending on how extreme, that would rule out mechanical watches.
Old 9 May 2010, 01:15 PM   #69
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
seems like you're penalizing the less expensive watch rather unjustly.

first off, if i really loved a certain watch, i would pay to get it serviced regardless of the cost.

sounds to me that you like your more expensive watches than the less expensive ones. no crime in that, but not everyone feels the same way you do.

i'd rather amend your quote to "Life is too short to wear watches that you're not passionate about."
I guess that part of the issue with me though is that I do fantasize about someday recouping my costs of the watch, several services and the up-keep(fairly unrealistic I know). Can't do that IMHO if you are servicing a $175 Seiko Orange Monster. It is a nice watch (my father has one and loves it), but a person is better off just buying another one if the current one breaks.

For me, I have found my brand.

--Excellent in-house movements
--Robust cases
--Inexpensive bezel inserts
--Adequate bracelets
--Oversized crowns
--Made to last, and last, and last, and last...............

I would amend my post to say "Life is too short to not wear a Rolex"

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 9 May 2010, 01:31 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
I guess that part of the issue with me though is that I do fantasize about someday recouping my costs of the watch,,,
That's a valid point, jclevoy: Seiko, no matter which ones, can't really be look at as investments. I doub't anyone would ever pay as much for my used seiko's as I bought them for, except maybe the Grand Seiko ones.

But then again, I don't buy watches as investment portfolios or whatever.

I buy them to use them, beat the hell out of them and not worry about resale value.
Old 9 May 2010, 01:46 PM   #71
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457689 View Post
That's a valid point, jclevoy: Seiko, no matter which ones, can't really be look at as investments. I doub't anyone would ever pay as much for my used seiko's as I bought them for, except maybe the Grand Seiko ones.

But then again, I don't buy watches as investment portfolios or whatever.

I buy them to use them, beat the hell out of them and not worry about resale value.
Interestingly enough, that Is also what I buy my Rolex divers for.........To beat the hell out of them diving. I dive with a computer, but it is not my primary device......My Rolex is that device. The computer is locked-out in gauge mode and although it is useful on a dive, it is not necessary. Heck, I leave it in the bag on some of the easier dives. My Rolex diver is ALWAYS with me.

Honestly, I have no intent on selling ANY of my current Rolexes, and I have several with duplicates. However, I do think about resale value for my kids someday. I do think Seiko makes a great watch, but they have killed themselves in regards to resale value by making cheap watches.

I agree with the OP, you can't surpass a Rolex for actual diving purposes. No one will change my mind on that issue. I guess it is good that we all have different tastes.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 9 May 2010, 01:55 PM   #72
mingsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
you asked, right? : )

what's your criteria? resale? rolex will win. if you're looking at history and being one of the first automatic dive watches as well as having an inhouse movement, then the nd sub will win many a contest.

if you're looking at legibility, lume, depth rating, bracelet quality, and timekeeping, there are many watches that are equal if not better. just go to the dive watch forum on WUS, and there will be many brands/watches (most people here have never heard of) that are superior to the sub. UTS is one example.

but, if you want a big higher end name, then the Omega Planet Ocean. After having owned the Sub No Date, I think the Planet Ocean is superior on many levels.
Gotta agree.

The Rolex Sub is a classic with an unimpeachable name and history.

HOWEVER, if you look outside of the big names and drop down to the sub $1500 mark, there is an almost bewildering number of micro-brands out there who are knocking out some fantastic, affordable, dive watches. Just check out the likes of Zixen, Benarus, Bathys and Kazimon for a taste.

Check out the WUS dive forum for a taste, but don't stay there too long or you may end up with another handful of watches on the wishlist
Old 9 May 2010, 01:57 PM   #73
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If legibility, durability, and lume were the key requirements for a dive watch, then how would the Luminox dive watches do? They are marketed as Navy SEAL watches, so I presume that they are.

Of course, we are talking only about the function of diving itself. As an everyday watch you can't beat the Sub!
Old 9 May 2010, 02:03 PM   #74
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
If legibility, durability, and lume were the key requirements for a dive watch, then how would the Luminox dive watches do? They are marketed as Navy SEAL watches, so I presume that they are.

Of course, we are talking only about the function of diving itself. As an everyday watch you can't beat the Sub!
They might be marketed as SEAL watches, but we all know that SPEC OPS divers all wear G-Shocks.

Sorry, but no LUMINOX for me. Auto Rolex divers are "IT" as far as this diver is concerned.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 9 May 2010, 02:07 PM   #75

Quote:
I do think Seiko makes a great watch, but they have killed themselves in regards to resale value by making cheap watches.
Seiko have killed themselves in regards to resale value by making inexpensive watches, not cheap watches.

And by not charging thousands and thousands and thousands for their watches, they have also killed themselves in the vanity-look-at-me market.
Old 9 May 2010, 02:23 PM   #76
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
This is my 14060 (A). Circa 1999. I love it for all the traits and qualities we have often discussed.
I am always looking to add a diver and always compare the price, value, appeal, and resale against this one.

I challenge all my friends here - name a better dive watch - any brand for $3,000 or less.
Russ
How about Tudor. Much less in price.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 9 May 2010, 02:24 PM   #77
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
You'll be hard pressed to beat one of these for $650 US out the door. Marathon builds them for the Canadian Coast Guard, NASA, and now the US military.

http://www.broadarrow.net/sale.htm

If youn can find an original SAR it would be the watch to buy, but their contract is all sold out and pre-owned is probably all you`ll get.

The current contract has U.S. Government printed on the dial just below Marathon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmarathons01[1].jpg (63.1 KB, 225 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 9 May 2010, 03:13 PM   #78
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
for well under 3, i'd happily and confidently sport a seiko marinemaster 300m.
Old 9 May 2010, 10:03 PM   #79
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seiko have killed themselves in regards to resale value by making inexpensive watches, not cheap watches.

And by not charging thousands and thousands and thousands for their watches, they have also killed themselves in the vanity-look-at-me market.
No, sorry but Seiko also makes cheap watches. My daughter has a seiko that once the press-on caseback is pried-off, the movement is exposed. Most of the movement housing was plastic, and believe it or not, so was the a section of the stem for the winding crown. After 2 battery changes, the watch was worthless and didn't work.

I don't know........If a plastic movement isn't considered cheap, I don't know what is.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 9 May 2010, 10:08 PM   #80
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
You'll be hard pressed to beat one of these for $650 US out the door. Marathon builds them for the Canadian Coast Guard, NASA, and now the US military.

http://www.broadarrow.net/sale.htm

If youn can find an original SAR it would be the watch to buy, but their contract is all sold out and pre-owned is probably all you`ll get.

The current contract has U.S. Government printed on the dial just below Marathon.
Yes, but my Marathon GSAR was +14sec/day

I know, I know.........I could have had it regulated. The ETA 2824-2 is capable of keeping incredibly accurate time. Blah, Blah, Blah........I have heard it all before. I just grow tired of constantly having to tinker with a watch to keep it accurate. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I read quite a few other stories of people with similar time-keeping issues.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 9 May 2010, 10:42 PM   #81
Rossos
Banned

Watch: Tudor Rolex Bratte
A Tudor sub....

Old 9 May 2010, 10:47 PM   #82
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is a good thread.
You would be hard pressed to buy a Rolex for any technical advantages. Rolex doesnt do any thing better than many other Swiss brand watches for much less money. You buy a Rolex because you want a Rolex. Lets be honest and call it as it really is. Tell you wife/girlfriend what ever you need to tell her why you dropped serious $$$ on a watch but around here we know better. Next you will be saying you need a new Porsche 997 because it gets better gas mileage.
Old 9 May 2010, 10:52 PM   #83
hooliganhooker

Watch: Rolex MilGauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
...need a new Porsche 997 because it gets better gas mileage.
Does it?? I gotta go tell the wife!!!!
Old 10 May 2010, 12:04 AM   #84
mcubed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallcandle View Post
You poke fun, but IF (and that can be a big if) you can get a well-made Invicta they can be pretty hard to beat for the $.
Amen
1953 Wittnauer Revue
2009 Swiss Army Divemaster 500
Old 10 May 2010, 12:27 AM   #85
nyrunner
"TRF" Member

none exist
Old 18 May 2010, 09:38 PM   #86
425ranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Marathon SAR
I have had many many divers. I must say I think of divers as history and quality in combination. Solid build and extreem legibility are of the highest priority.

Omega PO XL and Doxa 5000 are my two that exist on the same plane...... Historic good looks and serious quality. Omega broadarrow hands and Doxa HEV and bezels are as historic as the Sub. All from the same era.

That said, the 14060 rocks serious.
Old 18 May 2010, 09:53 PM   #87
Rich2putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG, Exp ll white
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Invicta.jpg (79.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 18 May 2010, 11:51 PM   #88
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I own a Sea-Dweller but sometimes I just marvel at how well constructed my Seiko SKX007 is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00115-20100407-1650.jpg (72.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 19 May 2010, 12:00 AM   #89
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
No, sorry but Seiko also makes cheap watches. My daughter has a seiko that once the press-on caseback is pried-off, the movement is exposed. Most of the movement housing was plastic, and believe it or not, so was the a section of the stem for the winding crown. After 2 battery changes, the watch was worthless and didn't work.

I don't know........If a plastic movement isn't considered cheap, I don't know what is.
Agree. Most of the US department store line is garbage. Seiko can make a watch equal to a Timex, and they can make one equal to a Rolex. They just need to learn how to market their good stuff in the West.
Old 19 May 2010, 12:11 AM   #90
rkb
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXPORER II
Quote:
I've never known anyone's life to depend on a wrist watch during a deep water saturation dive. Anyone. Ever. I'm a diver and if you're deep water saturation diving with only a wrist watch, you're a fool and you probably would have died by your own foolishness long before your big dive. Yes I know all about the Comex divers.

That being said, the Rolex SD, Rolex Sub and the Seiko MM 300 are all great tool watches built like tanks.

The Seiko 300 MM is about 5 thousand less then the Sub and 7 thousand less then the Deep Sea SD.

Explain to me why the Rolexs are sooooo much more $$$$. Hell, Seiko's Grand Seiko line beats Rolexs COSC times.

"Better" is subjective. With Rolex you pay for marketing. You're paying for a name. Nothing wrong with it. Hell, I want a no-date Sub.

Seiko, you're paying for a watch.

My Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001 out on the job site:

a little better pic:

Very well put, if money was no object these would be some of my choices- Sadly Seiko does not market these masterpieces to the west so most people are not familiar with the brands high end watches. Make no mistake though, the Grand Seikos and many of the other JDM lines are very well made and are strong competitors for Rolex or any other brand in terms of quality and precision.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...ing-Drive.html

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-...r-SBGA031.html