The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2010, 02:54 AM   #61
jnmarshall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
im looking but i cant see where it says automatic on my watch...do you think that it is a fake. texas...thank you.
Maybe vintage then. May want the check in that message section.
jnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:02 AM   #62
RFXMM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I use the gmt hand everyday before calling Cali, Whitehorse, Vancouver etc. Everyday!
Old 8 April 2010, 03:09 AM   #63
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmarshall View Post
Maybe vintage then. May want the check in that message section.
sorry? check? message section? im not following this. help me out.
Johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:11 AM   #64
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
Simple as the GMT is not a diving watch vs PAM is. Of course the 112 is not the submersible model (ie: submersibles have timing bezels). However all of their Luminor models are "made" for diving. Therefore i wear a "diving" watch diving. And the GMT for "travel".

Either or any mechanical watch is pointless now a days while diving. I have my Suunto that tells me 10000x more information that is actually useful and is more accurate than both.

Wearing any regular watch on a dive now is just for kicks. Even if you "use" your watch for keeping your bottom time, which is the most any mechanical watch will due (minus the few that do depth), you will 99% of the time have a better more reliable source that is keeping track of that for you. (ie: your dive computer)

-D
I respectfully disagree with you. I have a computer that I use locked-out in "gauge" mode, but it is the back-up to my Rolex. My Rolex is my primary timing device, and I use my brain to calculate my DTR, surface interval, etc, etc. I dive with a number of advanced divers that do not dive a computer. I never felt so liberated as when I quit worrying with why my computer was beeping, or why the screen went blank, or that the battery needed changing, etc, etc. How many times have you been on a dive boat, and seen a diver with a malfunctioning computer, or........a computer that they could not figure out how to operate because it had been so long since they had touched it? My last trip to Grand Cayman, I saw no less than 3 computer failures on the boat either before or after the dive during a week of diving.

Try this...........go diving out of the country, have your computer fail (either with a battery failure or flooding) and try to get it fixed in a rural, desolate place. It happened to me, and nearly screwed me out of about 10 dives. That was the pivotal time that I quit relying on my computer (as most people do) and I started relying on my own knowledge, skill, and mathematical abilities. I doubt I will ever go back to using a computer as my primary dive timing source. Many divers can't make an Aluminum 80 last long enough to get into Deco trouble anyways.

I now travel with at least 2 mechanical dive watches, my Uwatec Alladin Tec2 dive computer, and my mechanical gauges (SPG and Depth Gauge). I get my mechanical dive watches pressure-tested regularly, and I never worry about losing my primary timing device because the chance of two mechanical watch failures in the same 2 weeks is next to nil.

BTW, I go on 75-100 dives per year, and I dive recreationally. I dive no deeper than 40m

This is only my personal preference based on my experiences. I could care less if a diver chooses to use a computer. I personally don't care for them, but if people want to use them, that's great.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:18 AM   #65
jrssv

I use the rotating bezel on my GMT IIc every work day to keep track of another time zone. I also use the "change the hour" feature when I fly. I often use the rotating bezel on my Sub to time things. On a deeper level when my wife and I got married in 1966 we had $30 in the bank between our two accounts. I look at my GMT IIc once in a while and think about all the years of work before I could afford to pay cash for a Rolex. That feeling can't be measured!
jrssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:28 AM   #66
MagedMS
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 114060
Why buying a ROLEX ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
I don't buy a Rolex as a tool. I buy it for the quest for perfection, design and engineering.
+1

I think a $100 CASIO G-SHOCK will cover all the functions of the Rollies ! It has a dual time, 200m depth rate, all the chrono functions.. timers, stop watch.. will not suffer in magnetic fields, will not stop for 10 months (Atomic Solar watches) So if we think that way ... the G-SHOCK wins !

...But if we think of perfection, design and engineering, ROLLIES win all the way!
ROLEX DAYTONA-116503 BLABR
ROLEX MILLGAUSS-116400 GV
MagedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 03:53 AM   #67
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
I use my GMT when traveling.
Moi aussi.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 04:12 AM   #68
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
I respectfully disagree with you. I have a computer that I use locked-out in "gauge" mode, but it is the back-up to my Rolex. My Rolex is my primary timing device, and I use my brain to calculate my DTR, surface interval, etc, etc. I dive with a number of advanced divers that do not dive a computer. I never felt so liberated as when I quit worrying with why my computer was beeping, or why the screen went blank, or that the battery needed changing, etc, etc. How many times have you been on a dive boat, and seen a diver with a malfunctioning computer, or........a computer that they could not figure out how to operate because it had been so long since they had touched it? My last trip to Grand Cayman, I saw no less than 3 computer failures on the boat either before or after the dive during a week of diving.

Try this...........go diving out of the country, have your computer fail (either with a battery failure or flooding) and try to get it fixed in a rural, desolate place. It happened to me, and nearly screwed me out of about 10 dives. That was the pivotal time that I quit relying on my computer (as most people do) and I started relying on my own knowledge, skill, and mathematical abilities. I doubt I will ever go back to using a computer as my primary dive timing source. Many divers can't make an Aluminum 80 last long enough to get into Deco trouble anyways.

I now travel with at least 2 mechanical dive watches, my Uwatec Alladin Tec2 dive computer, and my mechanical gauges (SPG and Depth Gauge). I get my mechanical dive watches pressure-tested regularly, and I never worry about losing my primary timing device because the chance of two mechanical watch failures in the same 2 weeks is next to nil.

BTW, I go on 75-100 dives per year, and I dive recreationally. I dive no deeper than 40m

This is only my personal preference based on my experiences. I could care less if a diver chooses to use a computer. I personally don't care for them, but if people want to use them, that's great.
As you roughly said, to each his own. I let my computer do all the calculations for me. I have a Oceanic Proplus 2 as a comp which i service every year and I have a suunto mosquito for the quick look stuff and i have my watch of the moment for kicks on. All depends on how you prefer to dive. I dive with a hood and full suit in the Caribbean. Am i crazy? Some say yes.

I do enjoy your point about failure of computer more often and in rural parts, however i do not find my self in those situations and i try to avoid failure of them as much as possible with the regular service. However i guess if one did....

...i would have my trusty rolex to save me..!

Enjoy diving!

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 04:43 AM   #69
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh Son View Post
I don't buy a Rolex as a tool. I buy it for the quest for perfection, design and engineering.
Same here, but doesn't stop me from using it as intended as well.

091121-Octopus.jpg

091231-Jelly2.jpg

100407-c1-2.jpg
ArcticMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 04:47 AM   #70
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
As you roughly said, to each his own. I let my computer do all the calculations for me. I have a Oceanic Proplus 2 as a comp which i service every year and I have a suunto mosquito for the quick look stuff and i have my watch of the moment for kicks on. All depends on how you prefer to dive. I dive with a hood and full suit in the Caribbean. Am i crazy? Some say yes.

I do enjoy your point about failure of computer more often and in rural parts, however i do not find my self in those situations and i try to avoid failure of them as much as possible with the regular service. However i guess if one did....

...i would have my trusty rolex to save me..!

Enjoy diving!
I don't think you are crazy at all. I dive with a 3mm wetsuit and a hood in the Caribbean as well.

I guess I just cannot stomach putting money into a "back-up" computer. My first computer was air-integrated and lasted for ~ 2 years before it flooded. It flooded in Bonaire, (mostly shore diving on your own) and I had 3 choices: 1 skip a half week of diving that I had already paid for. 2) rent a computer. 3) Dive with my divewatch and tables. I picked number 3 and was conservative on the tables for the rest of the week. I figured out that the crappy plastic cover on the back where you put the battery warped and flooded. It wouldn't have been as bad, but I paid ~$600 for it. Triple that price, and you have yourself a enough for a used 14060M. Which would you rather have??

My current computer was $300. I like it "OK", but I really like the fact that you can set it to act as a gauge only and calculate your bottom time, current depth, average depth, etc........all of which is quite useful to me with my calculations. Computers are too conservative for me. I don't typically dive deeper than 80ft, so any imbecile can determine a reasonable bottom time. I dive in Bonaire quite often, so my surface interval is spent driving to the next dive-site and stopping by the diveshop to switch out tanks. Like I said............I have never felt so liberated since I quit relying on a dive computer.

Sorry to get so OT, but really this all pertains to the OP's question because I really do depend on my Rolex diver to work consistently and dependably. It is my favorite dive tool. That is what makes me so sad to see the new ceramic sub.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 8 April 2010, 05:08 AM   #71
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think you are crazy at all. I dive with a 3mm wetsuit and a hood in the Caribbean as well.
Heh, I used to use a 3mm shorty in Australia, where water temperature is normally in the range 16-20°C. The Swedish EOD divers in drysuits I held a product demonstration for looked pretty skeptical when I showed up with a 7mm suit.

Whenever possible, this is my attire of choice.

turtle.jpg

Quote:
I have never felt so liberated since I quit relying on a dive computer.
As I wrote in the last thread on the subject, my Oceanic Datamask works in the dark without first shining a light at it, performs perfectly even in zero visibility, tells me my depth, tells me how much air I have left and automatically logs all my dives. It also continuously recalculates based on the actual dive profile, guaranteeing more bottom time than I could get with the Sub and tables. I also frequently dive deep enough for decomp to be a real issue.

The Datamask is much better at not beeping annoyingly for no good reason at all compared to the Suunto D9 I used to use, so I am happy as far as that is concerned as well.

However, I agree that a backup is always a good idea, and that it would be foolish not to know how to use it!
Old 8 April 2010, 05:41 AM   #72
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Since purchasing my sub date I have been in several dives. The first dive included all day saturation drinking . according to my bezel the bar was at 50 and the door was at 15 my seat was at 30. the second dive was for me my deepest dive in a basement bar . i made a mistake with my oxy/alcohol mixture and almost blacked out. so yes i can say that my watch gets used. i have taken advice from dave and decided not to even attempt to wash windows with or without wearing my watch as it would be beyond my capabilities and could result in injury.
Johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 05:53 AM   #73
thlax
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I guess I just cannot stomach putting money into a "back-up" computer. My first computer was air-integrated and lasted for ~ 2 years before it flooded. It flooded in Bonaire, (mostly shore diving on your own) and I had 3 choices: 1 skip a half week of diving that I had already paid for. 2) rent a computer. 3) Dive with my divewatch and tables. I picked number 3 and was conservative on the tables for the rest of the week. I figured out that the crappy plastic cover on the back where you put the battery warped and flooded. It wouldn't have been as bad, but I paid ~$600 for it. Triple that price, and you have yourself a enough for a used 14060M. Which would you rather have??

My current computer was $300. I like it "OK", but I really like the fact that you can set it to act as a gauge only and calculate your bottom time, current depth, average depth, etc........all of which is quite useful to me with my calculations. Computers are too conservative for me. I don't typically dive deeper than 80ft, so any imbecile can determine a reasonable bottom time. I dive in Bonaire quite often, so my surface interval is spent driving to the next dive-site and stopping by the diveshop to switch out tanks. Like I said............I have never felt so liberated since I quit relying on a dive computer.

Sorry to get so OT, but really this all pertains to the OP's question because I really do depend on my Rolex diver to work consistently and dependably. It is my favorite dive tool. That is what makes me so sad to see the new ceramic sub.

Completely understand! I find a hood vital as well:)

All in all, its about enjoying the dive!

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
Old 8 April 2010, 06:03 AM   #74
thlax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticMoose View Post
Heh, I used to use a 3mm shorty in Australia, where water temperature is normally in the range 16-20°C. The Swedish EOD divers in drysuits I held a product demonstration for looked pretty skeptical when I showed up with a 7mm suit.
Crazy... there is always someone like you hahah! Good for you.

Old 8 April 2010, 06:06 AM   #75
Mockingbird
"TRF" Member

I use the sub while diving, the GMT while traveling, and the Speedmaster to time various things. (Same with the Breitling B01)
Mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 06:44 AM   #76
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I have used my Submariner on every dive I've ever done and look forward to diving with the Sea Dweller next winter in Cozumel. I hope to never test the depth limits of either.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 06:48 AM   #77
sam.

Watch: Oyster Royal 6246
i think you have made a good and funny point with your thread,we don't always use all the functions on our watches,some people dont even know what their watches are capable of!,my Rolex just tells the time,that's it,screw down crown manual wind,if i wanted a watch for multifunctions i would recommend a quarts lcd casio and a very long sleeve to cover it up!!
sam. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 07:28 AM   #78
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Quote:

I think some of you sports Divers need to man up, 3mm in warm water, you are joking right? lol
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 08:02 AM   #79
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Try this...........go diving out of the country, have your computer fail (either with a battery failure or flooding) and try to get it fixed in a rural, desolate place.
Where are you diving??? Rural is countryside... Made me chucke
Old 8 April 2010, 08:14 AM   #80
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogger View Post
I think some of you sport divers need to man up, 3mm in warm water, you are joking right? lol
I always wear a 3mm full length (and sometimes a 7mm) suit wherever I dive. On a recent trip, the water temp in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia was 82 degrees F, but deep (140-185 feet) dives on Japanese shipwrecks required some significant hang time for decompression. I don't care how warm the water is, hanging on a line under a boat for 45 minutes to nearly two hours will cause chills in anyone.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 08:19 AM   #81
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogger View Post
I think some of you sports Divers need to man up, 3mm in warm water, you are joking right? lol

For me, it has nothing to do with comfort because of water temp. It has to do with protection. The last place I went diving, there were Sea Wasps in the water, and they would "sting" exposed areas ~ every 30 secs while in the water. I was quite glad to be covered from head to toe.

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 8 April 2010, 08:22 AM   #82
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyterrier View Post

I was diving in Bonaire N.A.

There is nothing there for the most part. I scoured the island for a specific lithium ion battery for a dive computer once to no avail. If you need something, you had better take it with you to the island because chances are that nobody will have what you need at their few strange shops.

They do have a Rolex A.D. though

PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 8 April 2010, 08:33 AM   #83
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Absolutely I use my watch for what its intended.Both GMTs worn in rotation, of course I could wear a digital or a regular analog watch and just add 6 to get GMT, but thats too much work for me.Kidding aside, I just did a 2 day stint over multiple time zones,back and forth, and my GMTs were handy every bit.Getting a 1680 soon....i guess I'll have to take up swimming lessons.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 08:55 AM   #84
brandxbrand
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back
Quote:
Originally Posted by G M View Post
I use the cyclops on my 16610 to exercise the dog in the back yard. She still can't catch that light spot!
SO TRUE

I also use the same function to annoy wifey when she's reading in the garden
brandxbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 09:34 AM   #85
ArcticMoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyterrier View Post
It could have been here:

http://www.utcsa.com.au/
Old 8 April 2010, 11:49 AM   #86
GMK
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-2C & TT DJ
I use my TT DJ everyday with a shirt and tie because it looks soo good!!! Oh Yah I also use it to tell time every now and then. I also have a GMT2c and have used the 2nd time zone while in LA,Vegas and Paris this year.
GMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 11:55 AM   #87
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I use my GMT to time laps in the pool - is that a mis-application
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMTfin1.jpg (68.5 KB, 154 views)
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 12:18 PM   #88
AAMD11
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Worldtimer
when I get a GMTIIc I will be using it alot
AAMD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 01:06 PM   #89
west8720
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16750
Timing various cooking situations...! TurnOgraph SS ~
west8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2010, 01:09 PM   #90
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I don't think many Explorer II owners are spelunkers, or many YM owners race yachts. For that matter, I don't believe many Submariner/SD/DSSD wearers actually use their watches if they dive, especially those who own a full-gold or TT Sub.

Taking it beyond Rolex, how many people who own a Patek Philippe minute repeater actually use the watch to chime the time in the middle of the night? Or does a person who owns a Lange double-split chronograph really use that function? What about tracking the stars of the Northern Hemisphere on a Patek Sky-Moon Tourbillion?

I would say the answer to all of the above is "a very small minority'', which is also probably the answer to the OP's question.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote