The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2007, 08:28 AM   #61
Dylan1471

Watch: S/S Sub of course!
I bought my SS Sub before getting married in 1998. My future wife told me if there was anything that I wanted to buy before the wedding that I should go out and buy it because from that point on every decision would be a team effort . I always liked the Rolex and Ferraris after growing up watching a steady stream of Magnum P.I. . I decided that if I was going to pull the pin it had to be now or the future prospect of strapping a$4,000+ watch would be a hard sell. I bought the Sub pre-owned from an estate jeweler so in that regard the future Mrs. was happy because I got a good deal . Since 1998, we've bought our first home and had lovely twins (boy & girl). I intend to pass on the Sub to my son and my wife will pass on her Cartier to our daughter when they graduate from college and eventually buy that Ferrari that has been on the back burner since 1998
Dylan1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 08:28 AM   #62
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
Is there no-one in this thread who wears a Rolex to tell the time?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 09:07 AM   #63
Scooby

Watch: GMT
I wear mine because as far back as I can remember, my dad wore it. We always used to marvel at the huge watch with the red and blue border. Now, when I look down at it on my wrist, I get a connection with him that I don't have anymore. And, I can look forward to passing it along to my own son, and thus maintaining that connection to future generations.
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 09:07 AM   #64
tdr6874

yes i have a friend that has several nice watches and will not buy a rolex...he likes iwc and baume...he loves to see the look on peoples faces when they comment on how nice his watch is and ask what kind is it and he will rattle off "Baume & Mercier" and people look at him like why is he so proud of a no name watch??

Last edited by tdr6874; 26 January 2007 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: ...
tdr6874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 09:19 AM   #65
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
I wear a Rolex because to me Rolex is the best, and I guess there's a small sense of pride because I can now afford one. Although I never tell anyone I'm wearing one, it is nice when someone notices. I guess there's just a certain feeling I get when I wear it-the kind of feeling not provided by my Omega.

But hey, it's just a watch, right?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 09:33 AM   #66
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I wear mine because as far back as I can remember, my dad wore it. We always used to marvel at the huge watch with the red and blue border. Now, when I look down at it on my wrist, I get a connection with him that I don't have anymore. And, I can look forward to passing it along to my own son, and thus maintaining that connection to future generations.
Great post, Darren. Imagine how your son will feel some day when he looks at his Grandfather's Rolex on his wrist.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 11:24 AM   #67
indy78
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233 Serti
I Like Nice Things

I guess I could say it is the engineering, the craftsmanship, and the fact that it is a unique piece of jewelry. However, the bottom-line - I LIKE NICE THINGS. I always try to buy the best I can afford whether it is a car, a piece of furniture, or a piece of special jewelry for my wife. In fact, I just ordered a 16613 TT Submariner with the steel dial diamond/sapphire markers today. Should be in at the AD in 3 weeks. $9000.00 out the door. MSRP $9975.00
indy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 11:29 AM   #68
finance21
2024 Pledge Member

Life is too short and I can't take anything with me. Might as well enjoy it now!! With that said, I am not a fan of showing off, nor do I ever judge people on what they own or wear.
finance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 11:30 AM   #69
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
I have always admired watches and to me Rolex was always the best. When I finally bought one (a TT DJ) I was a bit embarassed by the attention I got with it. So I moved to an Explorer and now reserve the appreciation for myself!
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 12:06 PM   #70
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
What was that saying?!.... "You need to know what time it is, buy a Timex or Casio. You do not need to know what time it is, buy a Rolex" (means if you can afford a Rolex, you set your own time and schedule)
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 02:21 PM   #71
rolexfan21

Watch: 16610
Here's the truth: No chick is going to like you just for your money or your cars or your rolex. period. It might help a little bit but i dont think wearing a watch or driving a ferrari is going to help you much with the ladies. its more about personality in my opinion. I play poker a lot online, and there's something I learned from another great player, he said something like "dont play badly and lose all your money. If you're going to lose your money by playing badly then you might as well spend it on something you like." I mean if you're on welfare dont think about buying a rolex, but if you feel you deserve one and want to reward yourself. by all means. I respect the time and craftmanship it takes to make a rolex. And I think that's why we buy em. because we like them. period.
rolexfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 02:23 PM   #72
rjw0501
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
Does it work?

Being that I am a married guy with kids and in my early 40s I am genuinely curious.
It dosn't hurt!!!!
rjw0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 02:29 PM   #73
leopardprey
Banned

A Rolex and Ferrari will not guarantee chicks will like you, but I do guarantee you will have an easier time attracting hot looking model quality chicks with a Rolex and Ferrari, than you would if you are wearing a cheap Timex and driving a Yugo!
Old 26 January 2007, 02:31 PM   #74
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
I bought mine because:
I wanted a feeling of self accomplishment in business.
It is like a symbol of status, but I'd rather drive in a Toyota SUV and wear a Rollie than be in a Lexus without one.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 02:35 PM   #75
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Its affordable luxury.
I dont think they are affordable at all... the majority of people in this world would never be able to throw thousands on a watch, nevertheless multiple watches like Rolex, Panerai, IWC, JLC, AP etc etc etc in fact the people on this site and any watch collecting site are the minority.

I dont mean this as being nasty but it always makes me laugh when people post a 'I have Rolex A should I sell it to buy Rolex B???" Usually several responses will be 'keep them both' I always find that very amusing as most of us will never be able to own 2 watches that have a combined value of $10,000 - alot of the time the orginal poster is asking if they should sell simply because they cant keep both....... I cant have 2... its not about affordibility either, its out of respect for my partners wishes... this is an 'elitist' hobby I believe and constantly hear that at home all the time.

Thats not too say that people that collect watches are snobs or think they are better than anyone else either. I have met some of the nicest people in my life on this forum and paneristi.com. I strongly believe that if you want to fly with Eagles that you shouldnt run with Turkeys

I'm a Turkey I'm afraid.....

Thats my 2c worth
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 02:57 PM   #76
leopardprey
Banned

It all depends I guess on what you want to spend your money on. I have many friends who think I am crazy for spending $9000 to buy 2 Rolex watches, yet they will go spend $20,000 on a motorcyle or way more on a boat, which are their hobbies. I rather spend $9000 on 2 Rolex Watches and $11000 taking a year off and backpacking/exploring Asia than owning a boat or motorcycle.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:24 PM   #77
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
It all depends I guess on what you want to spend your money on. I have many friends who think I am crazy for spending $9000 to buy 2 Rolex watches, yet they will go spend $20,000 on a motorcyle or way more on a boat, which are their hobbies. I rather spend $9000 on 2 Rolex Watches and $11000 taking a year off and backpacking/exploring Asia than owning a boat or motorcycle.
Yeh comes down to values and interests. I will be happy with my Panerai and to get my savings going well and a few OS holidays every few years!!!
Old 26 January 2007, 03:28 PM   #78
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Amanda, you are missing the last word, luxury. Its something that you don't really need and probably shouldn't bother with unless you like it, and when you do like it enough and can afford one, its worth it.

When I say affordable luxury, I do mean affordable as in a kid flipping burgers in Mcdonalds making minimum wage can afford to buy a TT sub in a year or two if they managed to save 10 dollar a day. Problem is, most people would rather spend it on something else that they like more than a rolex which is perfectly fine. Because of that, since a lot of people who doesn't like watches enough would buy themselves a nice tv, a car, or computer stuff. When someone heard that you spend 5-10k on a watch it suddenly has that wow factor when in reality its just that they can't really understand why didn't you spend the same money on the same thing they would have spent on instead.

Is there a reason why someone should pay 5k, 10k for a watch when they can get something that does the same for less? Maybe the answer is no to you. I didn't thought my wife needed the 8k Vera Wang wedding gown, but I figured if she likes it and I can afford it, its worth it. Hence the term affordable luxury.

For example, if someone spends 15k on a new civic. No one would be like wow, that guy drives a civic he must got money. Now same person instead of buying a 15k new civic buys a 7k used civic and spend the rest on a rolex, its still the same amount of money spent and I don't think its that much of a deal for someone to buy a rolex if it means enough for them to justify the purchase.

just my rambling.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 03:32 PM   #79
amanda
Banned

I appreciate your ramblings montecristo and totally get and appreciate what you are saying my other half wont spend a penny on any luxury really... well expensive pair of jeans occasionally and thats it!!!

So you should hear me selling the idea of a Panerai.... it's all downhill.

But I am getting one anyways
Old 26 January 2007, 03:33 PM   #80
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
I bought a Rolex for prestigious reasons. The fact I paid the full amount of the watch in cash solidifies the fact that "I've arrived" and am financially stable/liquid to do so.

Anyone can purchase on credit. Heck, someone $100,000 in the hole could buy one on credit but in actuality, could not really afford such a watch.

I've been asked by numerous people who can't believe that I could drop so much money on a piece of "jewellery". Some of these comments come from fellow friends and collegues who have been habitual life-time smokers.

In Canada, a typical heavy smoker will smoke a carton of cigarettes a week. A carton of cigarettes purchased in Canada costs $80 CAD!!! Multiply that $80 by 52 weeks and a heavy smoker spends $4,160 CAD after tax income a year on smokes! By definition, you may as well just throw that money into a bonfire!

If you're 33 years old and have been smoking heavy for 15 years, that's a total of $62,000 CAD being spent on smokes.

And they're giving me a hard time about my spending $5800 CAD for a Rolex? Get real!
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 03:33 PM   #81
rolexfan21

Really Yes, 10000$ is a lot of money for a WATCH. but when you think of it, its not THAT ridiculous... I mean, you're going to be wearing it VERY often (hopefully) and you look at it frequently. you're gonna enjoy it a lot. its a little pricey but they hold their value well and they're useful too.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:34 PM   #82
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Amanda, you are missing the last word, luxury. Its something that you don't really need and probably shouldn't bother with unless you like it, and when you do like it enough and can afford one, its worth it.

When I say affordable luxury, I do mean affordable as in a kid flipping burgers in Mcdonalds making minimum wage can afford to buy a TT sub in a year or two if they managed to save 10 dollar a day. Problem is, most people would rather spend it on something else that they like more than a rolex which is perfectly fine. Because of that, since a lot of people who doesn't like watches enough would buy themselves a nice tv, a car, or computer stuff. When someone heard that you spend 5-10k on a watch it suddenly has that wow factor when in reality its just that they can't really understand why didn't you spend the same money on the same thing they would have spent on instead.

Is there a reason why someone should pay 5k, 10k for a watch when they can get something that does the same for less? Maybe the answer is no to you. I didn't thought my wife needed the 8k Vera Wang wedding gown, but I figured if she likes it and I can afford it, its worth it. Hence the term affordable luxury.

For example, if someone spends 15k on a new civic. No one would be like wow, that guy drives a civic he must got money. Now same person instead of buying a 15k new civic buys a 7k used civic and spend the rest on a rolex, its still the same amount of money spent and I don't think its that much of a deal for someone to buy a rolex if it means enough for them to justify the purchase.

just my rambling.
In other words a Rolex is achievable, and so is taking a vacation in Hawaii or Cancun; while owning a multi million dollar boat or a private jet is not an affordable luxury.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:35 PM   #83
henry2703
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_the_pro View Post
Here's the truth: No chick is going to like you just for your money or your cars or your rolex. period. .
Vic, you obviously haven't been to China
Old 26 January 2007, 03:36 PM   #84
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
If you're 33 years old and have been smoking heavy for 15 years, that's a total of $62,000 CAD being spent on smokes.
:
OK that calculation completely freaks me out... non-smoker here if you didnt get that already

I worked it out that if I simply gave up my daily coffee habit I could buy a Rolex every year.... it's not that good a coffee anyway!
Old 26 January 2007, 03:37 PM   #85
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've been asked by numerous people who can't believe that I could drop so much money on a piece of "jewellery". Some of these comments come from fellow friends and collegues who have been habitual life-time smokers.
I really don't like when someone calls my watch jewelry
And it has happened a few times. I suppose the fact that AD's are generally fine jewelry stores too don't help my case.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:42 PM   #86
henry2703
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gee.... i'm 31 and i have been smoking since 10.... a carton of marlboro is USD 80 where i live.... i smoke 1 caron every 10 days....

i ought to think again about this watch business!
Old 26 January 2007, 03:44 PM   #87
rolexfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry2703 View Post
Vic, you obviously haven't been to China
HAHAHA! so true... What I meant was, girls WILL come to you if you have $ I believe that... but they wont stay if that's all you have to offer..... and yes i have been to china you're right about that though! But I feel that REAL women can't be bought.
Old 26 January 2007, 03:48 PM   #88
ROLEX4FD

Watch: TT Blue Sub & SDDS
Simply put.......... because I enjoy it and it gives me pleasure each time I check the time, look at my wrist, or catch glimpse or reflection of it in a mirror or window. For me, it's a personal reminder that I've achieved a certain level of success - both professionally and personally. Add to it the fact that it was a surprise Father's Day gift from my wife and kids makes it all the more special. Funny thing is for all the years I've wanted (more like lusted after) a Rolex, I probably would have never bought one for myself. And I can honestly say, owning a Rolex is absolutely better than I had ever anticipated.
ROLEX4FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2007, 03:50 PM   #89
henry2703
"TRF" Member

honestly i don't know why i wear a rolex... hell i don't even use it to tell time. For one, it may be because... i only have one watch. but i could have gotten an cheaper watch, and i am sure it will serve me just as well... to me it is not about being able to own one. neither it is a status thing that tells the world "i'm there"

There had to be something that Rolex did to their watches in the factory that suck us in like dummies! And being from Asia, i believe in Black magic.

Take my wife for example. she was wearing her guess watch for the last 11 years. (yes, that junk actually last so long) and she has got a omega which my parents got for her for our wedding 8 years ago. she chose it herself, but has only wore it for like 5 times! she complains about the shiny parts.

After i gave her the YM beginning of the week, she hasn't left home without it... and now she claims that the watch is quite nice because of the shiny middle links... And now... she has even started reading this forum! Yes! honey! talking about you!.

there is no other ways to explain why we wear one, beside we can afford to....
Old 26 January 2007, 10:09 PM   #90
danielrm26

Watch: 16610 Submariner
I also find it interesting when people associate nice things with "waste". Especiallly when I don't drink (never been drunk, actually), don't smoke, and don't spend money on T.V. or DVDs, etc.

As someone mentioned above, it really is a matter of where your priorities are. That being said, I get my perspective from the the fact that I am aware that I am dying. And when I say *I'm* dying, I mean we all are.

I'm in my 30's and feel it's time to *live* -- not to prepare to live at some point in the future. I do have some money going toward retirement, of course, but I prefer to spend my money on improving my life. As such, I intend to surround myself with quality. Wearing a Rolex is simply one manifestation of this.
danielrm26 is offline   Reply With Quote