The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14 July 2023, 07:23 AM   #61
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
When you say "watches" do you mean watches with the 3235 movement?

If so, 1268 out of approx. 2,500,000 is 0.05%.

Sounds pretty good to me.

And the other approx. 2,498,732 owners are either happy, haven't joined in with the tiny number bitching, or perhaps have ALL sent their watches back without even knowing forums exist.
Tell me you know nothing about statistics without telling me you know nothing about statistics...
Old 14 July 2023, 07:24 AM   #62
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have two watches with 32 based movements that have run excellently from day one. Of my 31 based watches, two of them have needed warranty repairs for mainspring failure. There is no doubt that there have been some issues with the 32, but it should be taken in context. The WWW is a huge amplifier and echo chamber.
Old 14 July 2023, 07:41 AM   #63
Pablito
"TRF" Member

They don’t waste their time and they surely don’t notice, as the majority of owners might wear a Rolex to wear a Rolex. As my AD says, most of them don’t even know how to rewind their watches. They also don’t even read the time on their watches because smartphones are meant to give the right time. These are hype jewelry
Fortunately on these kind of forums, there are some people who have been really involved in the brand , more or less recently and for whom a 10k watch might be some kind of achievement in their horological journey. I think long time collectors shouldn’t minimize how those people might feel now about issues debated here.
Maybe in the past you could buy a sub for 2-3k walking in boutique with flip flops, but we are 2023, bear that after so many AD games, so many patience and moreover a so high amount of money, some are totally right to talk about what’s going wrong.
So please show a minimum of respect for those who post, and talk about their issues so as to find solutions or maybe do some collective actions I don’t know. They remain CUSTOMERS, and sometime so high devotion to this brand seems to make one’s forget what a customer should expect from his money in this range of products.
Old 14 July 2023, 09:15 AM   #64
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Haven’t seen that quoted before. Link to source please.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=786299
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32xx Problems.jpg (34.6 KB, 370 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Old 14 July 2023, 09:25 AM   #65
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I have no technical expertise in the field of watch movements. I have owned seven Rolex’s, one with the 3200 movement, been very happy with the performance of all. Plus I have owned many other brands with great movements, from Patek Aquanauts to Omegas, JLC, Sellitas and ETA. My amateur gut tells me the push to increase power reserve, in the case of the newest Rolex, to 70 hours, compromises the watch in ways I can not quantify or even identify, but nonetheless I avoid such enhancements. The conclusion reached by the author of this article has persuaded me to stick to my amateur, unscientific gut feeling.

http://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/...-the-Month.pdf
Old 14 July 2023, 10:02 AM   #66
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Good to see the denial is still strong.

We’re in a strange age of non-belief in things…, unless it actually happens to you. It’s all still “mines OK, so therefore all reports of problems are made up”. Genuine issues are tagged as “so called issues” or “over exaggerated”, etc.

At this point there’s plenty of evidence out there (anecdotal or otherwise) so people can now make up their own minds. Personally I say read the available evidence/opinions and then crack on as you see fit. If you still decide to get a 32xx and you get a good one, then that’s great as they can be super-accurate. But if you get a bad one, just don’t say you weren’t warned.

It’s all good!
Old 14 July 2023, 10:41 AM   #67
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I have no technical expertise in the field of watch movements. I have owned seven Rolex’s, one with the 3200 movement, been very happy with the performance of all. Plus I have owned many other brands with great movements, from Patek Aquanauts to Omegas, JLC, Sellitas and ETA. My amateur gut tells me the push to increase power reserve, in the case of the newest Rolex, to 70 hours, compromises the watch in ways I can not quantify or even identify, but nonetheless I avoid such enhancements. The conclusion reached by the author of this article has persuaded me to stick to my amateur, unscientific gut feeling.

http://bhi.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/...-the-Month.pdf
I just read entire article. The guy was ahead of his time. Something just tells me (gut) with the smoke there is a smoldering fire somewhere.
Old 14 July 2023, 12:42 PM   #68
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
The only 3235 movement I owned was a 2018 DJ 41. After about 2 years it started losing 10-15 seconds per day. I sent it to RSC and they fixed it, but I never felt the same about it. Sold it this year. The movement does affect my thinking, my latest watches are not Rolexes.
Old 14 July 2023, 12:59 PM   #69
second time
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
I wouldn't hold out hope that Rolex has found a fix and is quietly remedying the issue. I haven't seen any of the Rolex certified technicians on this site mention anything like that, unless I've missed it.
Old 14 July 2023, 01:01 PM   #70
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Imagine how disappointed the folks who actually bought a 32xx model are. Many of them even rode out the warranty window hoping there'd be a fix by now.
Old 14 July 2023, 01:08 PM   #71
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide13 View Post
I understand you on the concerns. I was in a similar mindset recently. I was "on the list" for a few watches but had been wearing my Tudor BB58 for the prior year or so and loving it. It also ran a consistent -0.5 spd that whole time pretty much. Fantastic watch.

I got the call on an Exp II and a DJ41 and passed on both, concerns over the 32xx movement were definitely a part of that.

But then I got the call on a Sub Date 126610LN. The Sub has always been my favorite Rolex model but I just never loved the larger blockier case of the 11xxxx (had an 114060 for a whlie). The new 12xxxx series Subs just fixed everything in my mind and so when I got that call I decided I just couldn't pass it up.

I've only had it for about a month now. It's currently at +5. Not seconds per day, just a cumulative +5 over the last 4 weeks. It's as accurate as any mechanical watch I've ever owned at this point.

I do know it could develop problems down the road. I've seen those thread and read those posts and really dug into them when I first considered a new watch with the 32xx movements. I'm comforted by the fact that there is a 5 year warranty to take care of issues and the fact that Rolex is putting out probably around a million watches a year with this movement. I think it's documented fact that some have issues, but I also imagine it's only a percentage of the total movements out there.

I also have some small hope that things have gotten better as time has gone on. While there are reports of more recent watches with issues it seems to be a problem that peaked around the first to second year of the movement being in use. I'm guessing Rolex has been quietly tweaking things to try to address the issue.

When I decided to purchase my Sub I was initially concerned the potential movement issues would bother me and distract from the wearing experience but surprisingly I haven't found that to be the case. I love wearing this watch and I'm very happy I purchased it. I keep an eye on it's time keeping like I do any watch and we'll see how it goes. Fingers crossed it ends up being problem free for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trf2271 View Post
My sub with the 3230 is a few days out from being a year old and hasn’t deviated at all. If it does I’ll send it in. That’s what the 5 yr warranty is for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
You’d trust the five year warranty though, wouldn’t you?

If it starts slowing then send it to RSC. You get a service and check that it’s within spec after the rebuild, all for free. Anything that slipped through the net from the factory set up is probably gonna get found after a service.

Bear in mind that Rolex quote a precision for their time keeping and they seem happy for people to hold them to it. Some high end brands don’t do this, so I guess you just have to argue your case if you’re unhappy with the time keeping with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteFisherman View Post
I have a 3230 movement in my Explorer 40. After a month, it stands at +0.3 seconds/day. I can live with this.

If the time comes I'll send it in for service. I don't see the need to fret so early on.

Lots of good opinions here - especially the one talking about the latest 32XX movements being the ones with minor updates ironing out earlier issues.
And when the warranty runs out? Then what?
Old 14 July 2023, 03:12 PM   #72
502 to Right
"TRF" Member

It would really annoy me if it turns out the 70 hour power reserve is somehow the cause of the 32XX problem. I wear my watches at least a week at a time so the power reserve of the 31XX has always been more than enough.
Old 14 July 2023, 05:53 PM   #73
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
Then you pay for a service.
Old 14 July 2023, 08:56 PM   #74
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by second time View Post
I wouldn't hold out hope that Rolex has found a fix and is quietly remedying the issue.
I would. The 32xx series is their future, I'd imagine they've not only diagnosed the issue, they've addressed it.

Quote:
I haven't seen any of the Rolex certified technicians on this site mention anything like that, unless I've missed it.
How would they know? Will Rolex reach out to these techs? Tell you what Rolex will do - they'll keep their mouths shut.

Quote:
Imagine how disappointed the folks who actually bought a 32xx model are. Many of them even rode out the warranty window hoping there'd be a fix by now.
Imagine how many more pleased 32xx owners there are in comparison, millions of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Then you pay for a service.
Exactly. And Rolex will replace parts as necessary, just as before.
Old 14 July 2023, 10:42 PM   #75
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
I would. The 32xx series is their future, I'd imagine they've not only diagnosed the issue, they've addressed it.

How would they know? Will Rolex reach out to these techs? Tell you what Rolex will do - they'll keep their mouths shut.

Imagine how many more pleased 32xx owners there are in comparison, millions of them.

Exactly. And Rolex will replace parts as necessary, just as before.
You might want to read through the zillion page thread in the tech forum. It’s not good.
Old 14 July 2023, 11:31 PM   #76
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

My SD43 was running around 6-7 seconds slow per day after 1 year or so, sent it in and received it around 1 month later. This was a few years ago now, it consistently runs within +1 second per day.

My BLRO is around 5-6 seconds slow per day. Will be sending this in to be regulated within the next few months.
Old 15 July 2023, 12:13 AM   #77
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
You might want to read through the zillion page thread in the tech forum. It’s not good.
Why bother?

If the purported 25% statistic is real then these watches should all be failing quality control at Rolex. One should be able to march into a dealer, take the 100 SS units they have in the safe and 25 of them would fail the 'amplitude' test.

Am I really supposed to believe that? Ludicrous.

On the other hand:
- The millions of happy owners won't speak up because they have no problems.
- Most people don't check the amplitude of their watch. They're busy wearing their new Rolex and getting on with life.
- Rolex has the biggest watch brand on the planet, it is both a huge benefit and responsibility. They have much to protect.
- Every mechanical device will have issues. For example every automobile in existence will eventually have a "tech bulletin" or Recall issued. Fact of life.
- Rolex is not new to watches. If a pattern of repairs & returns is noticed you can bet they quickly assembled some kind of Tiger Team to resolve it.
- Their warranty is very good. Watch is slow? They'll take care of it.
Old 15 July 2023, 12:30 AM   #78
trf2271
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 79220n
Quote:
They did quietly update the movement mid 2022.. If it goes 5+ years and then acts up I’ll pay for a service. Would I be disappointed to send it in for warranty work? Of course, but I like the watch and it isn’t the end of the world.
Old 15 July 2023, 12:31 AM   #79
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why bother?
That's really all we need to know about your expert analysis of the situation.
Old 15 July 2023, 12:36 AM   #80
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Why bother?

If the purported 25% statistic is real then these watches should all be failing quality control at Rolex. One should be able to march into a dealer, take the 100 SS units they have in the safe and 25 of them would fail the 'amplitude' test.
Uh, in the vast majority of these cases the problem doesn't show up until the watch has been in service for a year or two. How would quality control catch the problem before it manifests?
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Old 15 July 2023, 01:35 AM   #81
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
That's really all we need to know about your expert analysis of the situation.
I work in product development of tech items you use daily (your computer, phone, laptop etc.) An internet forum poll is merely a collection of anecdotes. Only Rolex knows the real situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
Uh, in the vast majority of these cases the problem doesn't show up until the watch has been in service for a year or two. How would quality control catch the problem before it manifests?
Technician1: "Uh oh, look at this bearing that's worn out after only 1 year of use"
Technician2: "I looked it up, it came from a batch with improper heat treating. It's already been fixed in manufacturing and won't happen again. Service the watch on our dime."
Old 15 July 2023, 03:02 AM   #82
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They did quietly update the movement mid 2022.. If it goes 5+ years and then acts up I’ll pay for a service. Would I be disappointed to send it in for warranty work? Of course, but I like the watch and it isn’t the end of the world.
Source?
Old 15 July 2023, 03:09 AM   #83
trf2271
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 79220n
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Source?
Start at post 2745 in the 32xx movement thread
Old 15 July 2023, 03:13 AM   #84
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
How are your watches with the 32xx movements running?

From my perspective, I’m not concerned and I own 3 with the 32xx movement.

Me too. Numerous 32xx watches. It’s a fab movement. No issues. All within spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 July 2023, 03:18 AM   #85
SublimeZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatrope View Post
I’m just curious to know if the OP was swayed in either direction…

This movement seems like a roll of the dice. It may work great forever or it may begin to have issues at some point in the future. Maybe I'm too picky, but I expect the mechanical/technical components of these pieces to perform as designed. I’m not a flipper and my carefully selected watches are not simply jewelry for me. Every Rolex I have owned has been excellent so I'm not going to spend the money on a technically questionable watch at this point.
Old 15 July 2023, 04:08 AM   #86
Goatrope
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeZ06 View Post
This movement seems like a roll of the dice. It may work great forever or it may begin to have issues at some point in the future. Maybe I'm too picky, but I expect the mechanical/technical components of these pieces to perform as designed. I’m not a flipper and my carefully selected watches are not simply jewelry for me. Every Rolex I have owned has been excellent so I'm not going to spend the money on a technically questionable watch at this point.

We’re on the same page. I have high but reasonable expectations that a device will perform within spec, and I know if there was a problem, it would really sour the experience for me.

Hope you find an awesome 31xx real soon!
Old 15 July 2023, 04:43 AM   #87
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
The update was a change in ball bearings for the rotor and a change in text engraving on the bridges and rotor. It has nothing to do with the issue that people are experiencing.

Even the 31×× got updated last year, every mainspring now has to be a complete barrel change during service, the new barrel has an extra 2 hours of power reserve.
Daytona 4130 barrel also changed, no seperate mainsprings available anymore, same goes for 22××, all of these movements now get the barrel from the 2236 with more power reserve when you get a service.

Parts for movements get updated all the time, even in older movements. In recent years the 15×× (yes an over 50 year old movement) received a 'quiet update' where the escape wheel anti-shock got updated to Kif anti-shock, which is easier for the watchmakers to work with than the old spring (which was an absolute pain in the..)

There's many more of these updates, and aside from watchmakers like me most people will never know of them.
Old 15 July 2023, 04:50 AM   #88
SublimeZ06
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatrope View Post
We’re on the same page. I have high but reasonable expectations that a device will perform within spec, and I know if there was a problem, it would really sour the experience for me.

Hope you find an awesome 31xx real soon!

Thanks man. I’m going to enjoy what I have for now and see how this evolves with time.
Old 15 July 2023, 04:58 AM   #89
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The update was a change in ball bearings for the rotor and a change in text engraving on the bridges and rotor. It has nothing to do with the issue that people are experiencing.

Even the 31×× got updated last year, every mainspring now has to be a complete barrel change during service, the new barrel has an extra 2 hours of power reserve.
Daytona 4130 barrel also changed, no seperate mainsprings available anymore, same goes for 22××, all of these movements now get the barrel from the 2236 with more power reserve when you get a service.

Parts for movements get updated all the time, even in older movements. In recent years the 15×× (yes an over 50 year old movement) received a 'quiet update' where the escape wheel anti-shock got updated to Kif anti-shock, which is easier for the watchmakers to work with than the old spring (which was an absolute pain in the..)

There's many more of these updates, and aside from watchmakers like me most people will never know of them.
Excellent contribution as always, Bas. Glad you're chiming in, we're lucky to have you.
Old 15 July 2023, 05:02 AM   #90
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Excellent contribution as always, Bas. Glad you're chiming in, we're lucky to have you.
Indeed we are
Closed Thread