The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2012, 08:24 AM   #61
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
You're the one shelling out the money - do what makes you comfortable.

Better to inspect before buying and saying no thanks. Than to go home and find a fault you cannot accept and send the watch away for 4 - 8 weeks.

cheers:
Old 7 August 2012, 10:32 AM   #62
ROGERWILCO357

Watch: Submariner LV
my jeweler has known me for 20 years and knows i carry my own special loupe, but on occasion i forget mine he offers his lol, just bought a watch and used my loupe found a tiny imperfection and was discounted 10% now that was fun…always take your loupe for diamonds and watches
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 10:44 AM   #63
psv
"TRF" Member

It is your money/purchase, bring a loupe and care less about what other people may or may not think about your actions.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 10:49 AM   #64
Dennis Quek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater156 View Post
I personally wouldn't do it, because if I can't see a defect with the naked eye then I'm not worried about it.
Let me relate my past experience, I bought a sub c from a respectable AD in my country (yes face value is much important in Asian country like Singapore) and visually eyeball inspected it and bought it.

Return home a few days later on a Sunday, I decided to admire the dial with a loupe (bad idea I agree) and found 2 very tiny speck of dusts. Then from that day onwards, I can spot on with my naked eyes in a afternoon sun, I know I should not look under a loupe but I didnt expect this will happen to a Rolex.

The moral of the story is, some imperfection cannot be seen under normal lighting like the AD front desk, with the help of the loupe under normal lighting you can inspect it and it should be safe under strong 12pm sun on naked eyes.
Dennis Quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 11:14 AM   #65
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig-x View Post
You really think the AD knows if their is dust under the crystal? I highly doubt they loup the new Rolexs when they come from the factory.
Which gives the OP more reason why he shouldn't feel embarrassed checking with a loupe in front of them.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 11:25 AM   #66
Citizenrich
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOA View Post
Victim of a dust speck?

Sounds a bit like hyperbole to me.
I got a kick out of that little tale of victim hood myself. Then I remembered how strict things in Singapore can be. Probably just rote English.

To the original poster: nothing wrong with kicking the tires. Just make sure you practice using a loop before you break it out in public.
Citizenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 11:36 AM   #67
joffrey888
"TRF" Member

If they dont appreciate your presence because you want to inspect the items then they dont want to have a sale, transfer to another AD i know there are more ADs to accept you and willing to wait for you to decide.....coz in the end the best service will have the greater sales....
joffrey888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 12:34 PM   #68
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
In my view if your paying so much for a watch then you deserve every right to check it inside and out... I mean, would you buy a car without first sitting inside it or without opening the bonnet? I know I wouldn't... And at the end of the day, if the AD has a problem with you inspecting the watch so closely it would make me wonder if they have something to hide... Maybe the watch isn't as mint up close and they don't want you seeing that... So I say go ahead with whatever precautions you prefer to take. Just for your own piece of mind
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 12:38 PM   #69
Dennis Quek
"TRF" Member

I might be buying it this couple of days. Will try to take a couple of pic at the AD with my loupe..
Dennis Quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 01:14 PM   #70
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
You have every right to! Do it!
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 01:41 PM   #71
ROGERWILCO357

Watch: Submariner LV
yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I got a kick out of that little tale of victim hood myself. Then I remembered how strict things in Singapore can be. Probably just rote English.

To the original poster: nothing wrong with kicking the tires. Just make sure you practice using a loop before you break it out in public.
practice using that loupe practice makes perfect...good luck with the purchase
ROGERWILCO357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 10:22 PM   #72
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I wonder if anyone checks accuracy before buying? Pretty certain I remember someone posting that they do this with a new watch, before removing stickers and wearing it. So why not do it before you buy? Set the watch using another watch, or your phone, then pop back to the AD 24 hrs later to see how it has performed...

I'm being tongue-in-cheek, but why not? And perhaps ADs should do this with new watches anyway? (the watch equivalent of a new car road test). Just some ideas brought on by this thread, although I can't see many ADs being keen...
Old 7 August 2012, 10:32 PM   #73
Route 66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mark II
I can assure you that if you were going there to sell him a watch, he'd inspect it with a loupe.

Why shouldn't you do the same?
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2012, 10:43 PM   #74
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArn View Post
I can assure you that if you were going there to sell him a watch, he'd inspect it with a loupe.

Why shouldn't you do the same?

Yep, and tell you that it's an unpopular model and offer you a rock-bottom price...
Old 7 August 2012, 11:05 PM   #75
tattooedfagin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red
i've sat in a store before counting bezel clicks on a new LVC, store salesman genuinely looked shocked assuring me 'it's genuine'....

TRF Hall of Fame
tattooedfagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2012, 12:45 PM   #76
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Yep, and tell you that it's an unpopular model and offer you a rock-bottom price...
So true.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2012, 12:47 PM   #77
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
your money...your right.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2012, 05:11 PM   #78
jphj012
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
You are spending thousands of dollars of your hard earned money on a luxury item. As with any expensive items you are purchasing, it never hurts to research and examine it closely. DO NOT feel embarrassed at all. If anyone looks down or say something negative about it, SCREW THEM. You want to make sure you are getting what you paid for.
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 02:02 AM   #79
outlaw468
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Omega
Bring it. It's a big purchase and you should be 100% satisfied. If the dealer doesn't like it, then it's time to find a new one!
Old 13 August 2012, 03:06 AM   #80
supertrooper
"TRF" Member

I'm sure they won't mind. Remember, "The customer is always right, even when he's wrong".
supertrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 03:38 AM   #81
Datejust10019
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust YG
Bring your own loupe. It will say to the jeweler that you're a serious buyer and collector. After you examine the watch, then ask them if they will accept a purchase offer for an amount other than as listed in the case. Also, wear a really nice watch going in to the jewler; this also suggests you're serious.

These are just good negotiation suggestions.
Datejust10019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 01:37 PM   #82
DrLindaPhD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Boys Tudor Sub
I carry a 60x loupe because I tend to buy old European cut diamond jewelry and I would not hesitate to use it on a potential watch purchase either. If the sellers are bothered because I am trying to look at fine details and determine if the diamond is rated correctly or if there is a secret serial number hidden on the watch, then I usually won't buy from them. Most legit sellers have their own loupes and started out just like me. But, then again, I'm not normal so I don't really care what people think because it's my money and I owe it to me to make sure the item I am buying is what they claim it is. I think that's just good business. There are fake everythings out there, especially Rolex. So, if it gives you peace of mind then take it, use it and if you buy the watch, it's win/win.
DrLindaPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 05:13 PM   #83
Psmith
"TRF" Member

One dealer I know will personally inspect a piece with a loupe (while urging the customer to do the same)
Old 13 August 2012, 05:29 PM   #84
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Bring the loupe! You are supposed to be treated like a king/queen at an AD! The AD would be very silly to make any stupid remarks!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 06:36 PM   #85
Puffy
"TRF" Member

get them to make you a cup of coffee or pour a glass of champagne while you expect the watch
Old 13 August 2012, 07:51 PM   #86
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
get them to make you a cup of coffee or pour a glass of champagne while you expect the watch

Yes - or fetch a pizza!
Old 13 August 2012, 07:57 PM   #87
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
I wouldn't have any problems to take one with me.
But if you need a loupe for seeing dust specs on the watch why would you be bothered with it?

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 08:02 PM   #88
sgtguk
"TRF" Member

Gotta say I would definitely take the loupe, your investing a large amount of money in the watch, don't be shy with it either check everything until your happy with it.
When's the deal is over and you have the watch at home your the one who will look at it every day, not the sales guys at the AD!
sgtguk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2012, 09:51 PM   #89
Reu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Afraid today loupe mania is the norm with most Rolex wearers today with Rolex watches so don't be embarrassed.
Really? I don't think it is.

I mean maybe on here - the Rolex Forum, but in the non-obsessed Rolex world where people buy a watch to wear and enjoy (and simply just that) I'm not sure it is the norm.

To the OP, you're concerned that it's a little embarrasing. You've sort of answered your own question.

I wouldn't discourage you from doing it if it's going to ease your mind because I get it completely, but the AD will most likely think it a little odd, and naturally. Some would argue that you're actually looking for something wrong in it.

No offence to anyone on this forum, I enjoy my time on here very much, but I don't think I've seen so many bizarre anxieties from various people and posts... from a smaller or bigger 'F' on the dial on Subs and pearls not lining up, to dust/lint inside dials.

Don't get me wrong, I get accused regularly of being too particular wanting things to be just a certain way. I have to say though that since becoming part of this community I know I will have so many concerns over what may be wrong with my next watch purchase, now these things have been highlighted in various threads.

It's frustratingly infectious.
Reu is offline   Reply With Quote