The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 February 2022, 09:52 AM   #61
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I wonder how many more like Greg are disillusioned , I would guess many TRF members feel the same . Too much talk about investment , market prices , two recent posts " David SW Running out of Daytona to sell " SS Panda Daytona-C hits 50k " even post about Crypto currency ! These are perfect examples of the smug arrogance and greed which is much apparent on this forum .
Agreed. But those postings are basically made by the same trolls. Playing with themselves on social media.
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 10:57 AM   #62
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Revaulation

Why is the OP so stressed? It’s just a great brand (maybe the best), and more people are realizing it than in the past. Just strap the ones you own on, and enjoy
The things people flake out about these days amazes me.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:09 AM   #63
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:28 AM   #64
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
I totally hear you. I’ve taken a different approach, realizing that I won’t change the world but won’t let it change me either!

I choose not to open MANY posts on here as they’re not for me yet I respect that it’s someone else’s top priority.
Has the hype, social media and grey dealers change watch collecting? Absolutely yes, but has it opened my eyes to other brands, other hobbies and other interests beside rolex, absolutely YES!!! I now have pieces (non-hyped watches) in my collection that I wouldn’t have looked twice at if I had every rolex available in the case, yet they are a lot better and finer horology than many Rolex watches.

Glass half full: I appreciate what this change in the watches world has opened my eyes to true fine craftsmanship, not just hype.

I don’t post on every other thread with $$££€€ symbols, or keep cussing social media as I understand those are important to someone else

Point is, I read, comment and share what relates to me and steer away from what doesn’t, but don’t have to bash on them!!
It’s a free world!!!
OP, this is good advice. I certainly understand how you feel and I no longer wish to "play" in this new generation of Rolex games either. It's utterly ridiculous. There are alot of other fine quality watches out there that are definitely as good or better than a Rolex. Find another brand and enjoy. Life is to short to be bothered over a watch. Chill, relax and have some fun!
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:49 AM   #65
Df1kilo1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
First world problems
Pretty tough to wrap my head around that, to a guy with sporting at least a $6000 watch. At minimum.
what the hell?
Df1kilo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 12:02 PM   #66
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
It’s pretty sad what’s happening in this Rolex market. My last straw was watching these feverish, very average consumers waiting in a line at a Rolex Boutique all hoping to strike gold. And this is because ‘everyone’ is now educated on the Rolex ‘crypto-coin’ fantasy of getting that watch at retail and flipping it for double, triple, even quadruple. No interest in the product whatsoever. It’s exactly like Willy Wonka Golden Ticket, the whole world knows and wants in! It’s sad and feels like scrimping. Rolex brand is absolutely screwed and it’ll have negative effects on the brand for many, many years to come. They’ll never climb out of this hole.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 12:06 PM   #67
Ensign
"TRF" Member

I hear ‘ya.

But it’s a new kind of fun - navigating the AD/grey market, new models, hype, etc.

Back in 2000, I remember it was all about discounts, Tiffany dials, graduation gifts, provenance, moding.

Back in the 90s, elegant design in dress watches seemed big.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 12:06 PM   #68
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Enjoy the watches for what they are, not how much they are worth or how difficult they are to obtain. I’m still in the honeymoon phase with my Frederique constant world time but who’s to say I won’t enjoy it as much as my AP RO Chrono or OF Daytona ?
And it’s so ironic in Hong Kong I do get compliments on those watches fairly often but 99% of time it’s not the actual watch they’re complementing but how difficult they are to buy
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 01:39 PM   #69
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex is "serious business" these days ..

FOLOOCI

Fear of losing out on cashing in

Reason for the anger ??

If you have one,you should be happy .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 08:10 PM   #70
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEd View Post
I disagree with your assessment. We are looking at classic capitalism and the supply and demand scenario. I don't believe TRF members are any different from investors in real estate, classic cars, art work, etc. TRF members are not, in my opinion, smug or greedy but are rather actively engaged in capitalism and the current markets. One cannot hope to shield the topic General Discussions without the inevitable discussions of trending market valuations.
No soul / passion , pure investment speak ! My advice is to watch the movie Pulp Fiction , now that was true passion , what Butch went through , risking his life in retrieving his father's gold watch ! Now I have nothing against capitalism however reading your reply ( in my opinion ) you have no soul / passion when you compare real estate investing / current markets etc to watch collecting , you may as well purchase every single Rolex model , place into a vault , never take stickers off , never wear and watch your investment grow . No wonder Greg has left the building !
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 08:24 PM   #71
Flint
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
It’s pretty sad what’s happening in this Rolex market. My last straw was watching these feverish, very average consumers waiting in a line at a Rolex Boutique all hoping to strike gold. And this is because ‘everyone’ is now educated on the Rolex ‘crypto-coin’ fantasy of getting that watch at retail and flipping it for double, triple, even quadruple. No interest in the product whatsoever. It’s exactly like Willy Wonka Golden Ticket, the whole world knows and wants in! It’s sad and feels like scrimping. Rolex brand is absolutely screwed and it’ll have negative effects on the brand for many, many years to come. They’ll never climb out of this hole.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 08:27 PM   #72
Andad

Watch: A few.
Yes, I agree, it’s time to Revaulate Greg.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 08:28 PM   #73
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 09:35 PM   #74
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28mm View Post
I went back to look at your old threads. You've had some great watches and it seems you cleared out the collection in 2020?

Maybe if you hadn't been buying, selling and trading and 'cleared out the collection, you might feel a bit differently?

You have had some of my favorite watches. My guess is you are stressed maybe about other things other than something other than Rolex watches.

Feel better.

I concur. Been collecting since 2014 and have amassed all the prized pieces which I never "cleared out". No animosity towards the grey's , market, whatever as I sit back and watch
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:36 PM   #75
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
So, since 1999 you enjoyed purchasing something many people couldn’t afford to buy or at the very least justify buying.

Now that there are many, many more people that can afford to buy and want a Rolex at far higher prices you say you are out. Does that sum it up?
I would tend to agree with the sentiment of your post if the people who can afford to buy and want a Rolex (or an AP, or a PP) were all enthusiasts of the particular brand. I say "all", but "mostly" is more accurate as there have always been those who bough a Rolex because of what they felt it represented, rather than what it actually was.

But the difference now is that so many people who can afford to buy or want a Rolex pay those far higher prices because they see a Rolex as an investment, or for bragging rights, or, sadly, Instagram likes.

That's the difference now.

I'm not saying those people have no right to buy a Rolex. Of course they do, but I am saying that the OP, and many others like him are justifiably disillusioned as a result.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2022, 11:46 PM   #76
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
No soul / passion , pure investment speak ! My advice is to watch the movie Pulp Fiction , now that was true passion , what Butch went through , risking his life in retrieving his father's gold watch ! Now I have nothing against capitalism however reading your reply ( in my opinion ) you have no soul / passion when you compare real estate investing / current markets etc to watch collecting , you may as well purchase every single Rolex model , place into a vault , never take stickers off , never wear and watch your investment grow . No wonder Greg has left the building !
Indeed

If, as posted above, TRF members are no different from investors in real estate, classic cars, art work, etc. then that represents a massive shift from, say, 5 years ago.

Old 3 February 2022, 11:46 PM   #77
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well said

Old 4 February 2022, 01:12 AM   #78
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
It saddens me to read that you are letting others define your Rolex experience for you. It also saddens me to read that you are attributing motivation to other Rolex enthusiasts and deeming some of them to be merely average. Apart from the recent irrational exuberance around Rolex it’s roughly the same million watches a year built to the same level of quality and accuracy from the same company that we have found both admirable and frustrating for decades. What’s changed about Rolex? The watches are the constant in this equation. While it’s true that people ruin everything the watches are still the same fascinating machines they have always been. Don’t let the sideshow define your watch experience.
Kevin of Larchmont is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 03:03 AM   #79
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
I don’t care what they are worth, what you so called gray dealers want...good luck to you all whether you have the money...because TRF people love bragging about it or how smart they are with respect to the market, etc.

I am focusing on family, not your stupid prices or market value. The new cool kids, whoever you are, have ruined watch collecting for me, not just me, but, I will only speak for myself. It used to be fun. No longer. For me at least.

Gray dealers, market prices, etc. I am out. I am sure I will get the usual d bags waving bye bye but I was all in. Loved Rolex. But now to buy, trade, its foolish, I have had many over the years. Loved the brand. No longer. I am sure no one cares but I feel better saying it.

Been a collector since 1999. FYI.

I think from reading the "tea leaves" the OP is frustrated in general with the current state of the market and comes from a different era of when most Rolex models were readily available and here at a discount.

See what some people tend to not look at or acknowledge is that Rolex used to be like a small club. As in people used to think believe it or not Rolex is what my Grandpa/dad/whomever wears. Hublot and others like it were all the rage and had there moment in the sun per se.

Now that "small club" is the hottest joint on the planet and joining is like trying to become a member at Augusta. The books are closed. Plus there is a new kind of member. The one's who only look at future investment, value, and flex appeal. Granted there are exceptions and still a ton that buy for the watch not the money.

Just seen a post from today that the highlight of it was MSRP. Like I got it at MSRP, supposedly, and look how cool I am. I mean who gives a f***. How about the fact you got an amazing watch that is known for reliability, ruggedness, looks great, and on and on? Or did you buy it just because of "msrp"?

Granted I dont think it will ever happen in my lifetime but if the market ever crashes/reverts back to the days of pre 2017/2018 these type of people Rolex should be thankful for because they will still be buying a Rolex. Regardless if they take a loss etc. I have always looked at when buying a Rolex money spent/lost not money earned. I just buy for different reasons. Call me crazy I guess
Old 4 February 2022, 04:14 AM   #80
PatagoniaDan
"TRF" Member

The one constant in this world is change. Our generation has seen a tremendous amount of it, with the advent of the technological age so on and so forth. Accept things for what they are and do what you must to live a happy life!
PatagoniaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 04:32 AM   #81
28mm
"TRF" Member

Guys, point blank.

He is frustrated because he cleared out his watches and goes back and forth buying, selling and trading...He timed it badly and when trying to get back into the 'game' he's run into the frustration that just exists.

It's basically ridiculous and I'm embarrassed for Greg.

Might also have been a PWI (posting while intoxicated) situation.

Funny how so many are relating and reading into this wild absurd rant that is a self made pity party.
Old 4 February 2022, 04:54 AM   #82
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
fwiw.. at the end of the day- 'its just a watch!'
nothing to get too aggravated over; focus on whats truly important- family and health.

btw if you truly love the 'hobby' and not just the hyped pieces of today, plenty of fascinating and even more 'worthwhile' timepieces to collect at relative bargain (at least compared to the hyped pieces.....tiffany/hulk etc etc.)

I've learned to 'move on' (and patiently await a call from the AD asking me to pickup my Batgirl; if it happens, great! if it doesn't...oh well. not the end of the world.)
sski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 12:07 PM   #83
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Same here, sometimes wonder if I should even wear it!!

Been wearing only "ROLEX" since 1985, because "I" liked the watch.

Now everyone and there Dog recognize them!

Went to my local supermarket, and the checkout attendant said: "nice Pepsi mate"!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 12:13 PM   #84
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatagoniaDan View Post
The one constant in this world is change. Our generation has seen a tremendous amount of it, with the advent of the technological age so on and so forth. Accept things for what they are and do what you must to live a happy life!

I like this.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 12:19 PM   #85
underpar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
I don’t care what they are worth, what you so called gray dealers want...good luck to you all whether you have the money...because TRF people love bragging about it or how smart they are with respect to the market, etc.

I am focusing on family, not your stupid prices or market value. The new cool kids, whoever you are, have ruined watch collecting for me, not just me, but, I will only speak for myself. It used to be fun. No longer. For me at least.

Gray dealers, market prices, etc. I am out. I am sure I will get the usual d bags waving bye bye but I was all in. Loved Rolex. But now to buy, trade, its foolish, I have had many over the years. Loved the brand. No longer. I am sure no one cares but I feel better saying it.

Been a collector since 1999. FYI.
It's not your fault. It's not your fault. It's not your fault...
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 12:26 PM   #86
DRS Enabled
Banned

lol, so you sold all your watches at the lows and the market took off without you. No wonder you are mad. I would just restart with a DJ41 or 36 today. They are very nice watches and available for a bit above MSRP.
DRS Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:03 PM   #87
MountEverest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
Icon7 Watches for me are a stressful hobby

Greg,

I agree with you and think taking a step back from AD, Grey Markets and market prices seems to be a healthy thing for you (I should probably do more of that to).

However, I have followed Rolex and collected their watches for almost 20 years and it does bother me that someone new to Rolex may never have the opportunity to buy many of the watches at retail.

I hope Rolex makes some changes so you can at least order a DJ or a basic watch directly from Rolex in the near future.

I am optimistic that Rolex will come up with a better delivery method.
MountEverest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:11 PM   #88
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think its worth pointing out, you're a Rolex Collector, not a Watch Collector
If you fix that, you might find yourself less frustrated
Unfortunately true. I love my omegas, Tudor,s PP, ALS, Grand Seiko, Piaget and even Montblanc (did i really say that last one.....??).
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:17 PM   #89
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
See ya.
GregLaw’s Revaulation - He is absolutely right.
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2022, 01:23 PM   #90
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Get back in on a white Daytona. They only go up! Right!?