The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 July 2021, 04:09 AM   #61
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
A watch that cant fulfill its function is a pretty paperweight. I have owned 2 and use my watches as part of my job and used the chrono many times per day. If you look at the subdials around the 9,10,11,12 and 19,20,21 area there is not enough hash marks to be read accurately. I recall timing something, looking down and could not get an accurate reading of the elapsed time. Off it went to my wife who appreciates jewelry and on went my Speedmaster a proper tool watch that can do it’s job as intended.

A watch that can’t properly fulfill its function is just a pretty object. I need a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true. There are enough hash marks as another member pointed out when you previously mentioned this. I believe he included photos as well.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 04:41 AM   #62
Nephro
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
As an owner of a 15400 I would advise to keep it. I have had mine about 3 years and value keeps going up. Absolutely fantastic watch with an incredible bracelet and finishing. Just not the same level as the Daytona IMO. I consider my VC on par with the AP. I love my Daytona and it is more comfortable on the wrist than the AP or VC but would not trade an APRO for it.
Patek Philippe 5712R-001, Audemars Piguet 15400ST Ruthenium dial, Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V Blue dial, Rolex 326933, Rolex 116523, Rolex 126710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 126300 Wimbledon dial, JLC Master Compressor Navy SEAL's Diving Alarm, PAM 1499
Omega Constellation 1967, G Shock
Nephro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:13 AM   #63
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Would not make that trade. I love both watched but it is undeniably a downgrade. AP feels far more special...

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:26 AM   #64
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswirl View Post
Not true. There are enough hash marks as another member pointed out when you previously mentioned this. I believe he included photos as well.

Don’t tell me what happened. I work in healthcare and was timing a task, and around the exact spot I mentioned it lacks hashmarks. Look. It’s not like the old daytonas from the early 80’s, where each minute had a hashmark. If your timing steaks good for you. I’m not.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:28 AM   #65
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
but a breitling is fugly. one of the ugliest watches i have ever seen lol. a good reason most breitlings are collecting dust at watch shops.

a zenith, yes a winner at the sub 10k price range. quality movement and attractive dials.

Whelp, the Breitling was a real instrument and tool meant to fulfill a function and purpose and broke new ground as a tool, the Daytona not so much. The only reason why navitimer may be collecting dust are too many folks interested in $$ and not the history of watches. If they did know their history the Daytona would not be a first chose as it broke no new ground.

Old 12 July 2021, 05:31 AM   #66
jonf
"TRF" Member

Another vote for keeping the AP.
jonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:32 AM   #67
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don’t tell me what happened. I work in healthcare and was timing a task, and around the exact spot I mentioned it lacks hashmarks. Look. It’s not like the old daytonas from the early 80’s, where each minute had a hashmark. If your timing steaks good for you. I’m not.

Except you’re incorrect. There are sufficient has Marks and photos confirm the same.
Old 12 July 2021, 05:33 AM   #68
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

AP 15400 for Daytona

Keep the AP. Sure, a stainless steel Daytona is a fantastic watch, but no way I’d do that trade. I don’t really care what aftermarket prices are saying.

Old 12 July 2021, 05:54 AM   #69
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Whelp, the Breitling was a real instrument and tool meant to fulfill a function and purpose and broke new ground as a tool, the Daytona not so much. The only reason why navitimer may be collecting dust are too many folks interested in $$ and not the history of watches. If they did know their history the Daytona would not be a first chose as it broke no new ground.

hmm watches are there to be worn and enjoyed. i dont care about the history of a watch or the brand, if the watch in question is a monstrosity and id be disgusted each time i look at my wrist.

to me that is what navitimer is.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 05:58 AM   #70
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hmm watches are there to be worn and enjoyed. i dont care about the history of a watch or the brand, if the watch in question is a monstrosity and id be disgusted each time i look at my wrist.

to me that is what navitimer is.

Nothing wrong with that. Some wear watches as an accessory or jewelry and that’s cool. My interest in watches have always been about function first, form second and as a history guy, I appreciate the history.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:06 AM   #71
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Except you’re incorrect. There are sufficient has Marks and photos confirm the same.

I have owned Daytona since you are likely in elementary school my friend. They don’t, I assure you. Count. From the top at 30, the first hashmark, 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7, then the number 10!!!!

Now count back from the 20 on dial and the hashmarks 19,18,17, down to 13 then 10. Now, I’m not blind my friend and Rolex clearly intends one to extrapolate or estimate. It’s as clear as day. There are 21 total hashmarks and 3 numbers the 10, 20, and 30. Sorry your wrong.

Get your Daytona out of the safe and take a good look. Yes, I know you won’t hear anyone on the Insta book complain about this is their only concern with investment value, I for one I’m interested in a watch that does what it supposed to as advertised. The Daytona fails here period.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:10 AM   #72
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have owned Daytona since you are likely in elementary school my friend. They don’t, I assure you. Count. From the top at 30, the first hashmark, 1, 2,3,4,5,6,7, then the number 10!!!!

Now count back from the 20 on dial and the hashmarks 19,18,17, down to 13 then 10. Now, I’m not blind my friend and Rolex clearly intends one to extrapolate or estimate. It’s as clear as day. There are 21 total hashmarks and 3 numbers the 10, 20, and 30. Sorry your wrong.

Get your Daytona out of the safe and take a good look. Yes, I know you won’t hear anyone on the Insta book complain about this is their only concern with investment value, I for one I’m interested in a watch that does what it supposed to as advertised. The Daytona fails here period.

Ahh name calling. Nice. Wearing mine today and you’re incorrect regrading hash marks. You should learn how to use the chronograph feature of your speedy. It’s very useful feature.
Old 12 July 2021, 06:13 AM   #73
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Where's my fricking 19!? Wait, where's 21, and.... ah man.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:15 AM   #74
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

a steel navitimer also costs 8k. i get that it's a chrono but at that price bracket it's very logical that people will gravitate towards a rolex which holds value better and has better history
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:15 AM   #75
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahh name calling. Nice. Wearing mine today and you’re incorrect regrading hash marks. You should learn how to use the chronograph feature of your speedy. It’s very useful feature.

Is this happening. Don’t deflect, count from the top my friend. Check mate. I use my speedy because the Daytona could not get the job done. I gave the jewelry to her as she likes it and has no use for the chrono. Everyone here can count. I owned two, my first in 1999, I’m not blinded by the hype and no one thinks the Daytona is going to win a legibility contest. It’s not.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:17 AM   #76
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And what name did I call you? I don’t call names, I may not like your argument but won’t get into that.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:18 AM   #77
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
a steel navitimer also costs 8k. i get that it's a chrono but at that price bracket it's very logical that people will gravitate towards a rolex which holds value better and has better history

Lol, the Daytona has no history beyond the salad dressing guy. Is this happening. Lmao.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:21 AM   #78
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lol, the Daytona has no history beyond the salad dressing guy. Is this happening. Lmao.

i'm not referring to the daytona. i'm talking about the price in general. if someone wants a navitimer but sees that it's 8k they'll start to reconsider and gravitate towards getting a regular rolex for that same price instead. daytonas are unattainable, i wouldn't even bring them up in any conversation when talking about what normal people would buy
Old 12 July 2021, 06:29 AM   #79
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'm not referring to the daytona. i'm talking about the price in general. if someone wants a navitimer but sees that it's 8k they'll start to reconsider and gravitate towards getting a regular rolex for that same price instead. daytonas are unattainable, i wouldn't even bring them up in any conversation when talking about what normal people would buy
honestly i wouldnt wear a navitimer if it was given to me for free. it is that ugly of a watch. forget 8k msrp.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:31 AM   #80
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I must be crazy, but I like the look of the navitimer, great looking watch. Think it looks way better than the RO.
Old 12 July 2021, 06:36 AM   #81
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
honestly i wouldnt wear a navitimer if it was given to me for free. it is that ugly of a watch. forget 8k msrp.
lmao, can't even blame you. i'm not a fan either

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
I must be crazy, but I like the look of the navitimer, great looking watch. Think it looks way better than the RO.
that's a hot take but everyone's entitled to their opinion lol. i just think that anyone going to spend 8k on a watch won't feel good doing it on a breitling, especially when a speedy costs less, but then again maybe i'm the crazy one. i feel like everyone has a cut off on how much they'd spend on a certain brand and at 8k you just have way too many better options
Old 12 July 2021, 06:39 AM   #82
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
lmao, can't even blame you. i'm not a fan either

that's a hot take but everyone's entitled to their opinion lol. i just think that anyone going to spend 8k on a watch won't feel good doing it on a breitling, but then again maybe i'm the crazy one
Lol including me. I said I liked the look, but not buying it at 8k. They do sell for 5k online though, but still not buying. I just like the contrast of white and black, probably why I like the Daytona so much.
Old 12 July 2021, 06:46 AM   #83
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lol including me. I said I liked the look, but not buying it at 8k. They do sell for 5k online though, but still not buying. I just like the contrast of white and black, probably why I like the Daytona so much.
i used to hate the daytona but it grew on me. obviously i'll probably never be able to get a steel one but i do really like the white dial. it's just super clean, and the oyster bracelet beats the alternatives too much
Old 12 July 2021, 06:46 AM   #84
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I mean if I’m after an investment I’ll stick to vanguard.

Old 12 July 2021, 06:50 AM   #85
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
This. I have never considered a RO, due to its poor WR. That is one of the things I really appreciate about Rolex watches - besides the Cellini line, all of them are basically everywhere/anything watches.

I got a PP Aquanaut 5167 instead. Fantastic watch, really thin and the sunburst dial was beautiful, but after a while it got a little bit boring. Then the Nautilus got discontinued and the prices went crazy, so I might as well cash in on that. Ended up trading it for a white 116500 and cash my way, and I am very happy, even though the Aquanaut are also viewed as classes above the Daytona.

Now if I could just find that FPJ for a price that I am willing to pay

EDIT: I might add that I am a big fan of the Daytona, or chronographs in general, so that is also why the trade made sense for me.
An Aquanaut is just about the only thing I'd trade a RO for. Still fragile, but a little more robust.

OP: If you want an iconic chronograph, go out and buy a Speedmaster or Zenith, IMO.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 09:26 AM   #86
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Where's my fricking 19!? Wait, where's 21, and.... ah man.

Beauty! Not sure how one would be incapable of reading off the minutes.
Old 12 July 2021, 10:35 AM   #87
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
At the end of the day, do whatever will make you happy-
if it were I, no.
Not a chance.
The Daytona is, market nonsense aside, a $12K watch. Max.
If you want a chronograph to have a chronograph, then there are better options than the Daytona, including AP's own 41mm RO, any Speedmaster, Breguet XXI or VC Overseas...
Old 12 July 2021, 10:40 AM   #88
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Beauty! Not sure how one would be incapable of reading off the minutes

Well, yeah. At this scale.
Old 12 July 2021, 06:09 PM   #89
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would say submariner holds that title.
Correct
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 06:39 PM   #90
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McKay View Post
Correct
The Submariner started off as a tool watch, and didn’t move upmarket until the 1980s when Rolex pushed marketing campaigns to boost the prestige of its brand. In the 1970’s, a Sub cost approximately $230, which would amount to $1500 today. Not a cheap watch, but not a luxury product either. It was Audemars Piguet that pioneered the luxury sports watch in 1972 – that’s literally what the Royal Oak is known for.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
15400 , advice sought