The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which one - only one
YM Rhodium 183 50.69%
NO Date Sub 178 49.31%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 January 2020, 02:35 PM   #61
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker497 View Post
Which YM did you have?
11623 with a white dial, I thought about replacing it with the blue dial but as I said I was getting pretty tired of the scratches on the bezel. Being a satin finish it doesn’t take much to scratch it. I had my bezel refinished and then sold it. Alternatively the Sub doesn’t show wear as easily. It is possible to scratch the bezel but I haven’t in the last three years of ownership and the bracelet also doesn’t show wear as easily as something with PCL’s. I where the sub Monday to Friday And the BLNR on weekends.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 02:44 PM   #62
dane75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16753
I think the reason you're seeing the variation in pictures of the dial of the YM is because of the nature of that type of dial. I have a sunburst dial, and I can tell you, it's my favorite thing about my watch. It gives it depth and variability and almost a mercurial nature. I love looking down and seeing it in different lightings and it showing various moods. I love the sub; no doubt I'll own one one day, but the YM's color scheme seems to cause you less worry about versatility, which would be one (if not the) primary concern for a one-watch-to-rule-them-all situation (in fairness, I'm not sure I agree with your concern re: black, but it's your watch and your concern, so I'm trying to opine using your lens). Finally, I don't know if you've had eyes on a YM, but in my experience, there's absolutely zero issue with readability/contrast.

I've only really discussed in terms of the sub v. the YM because (1) the DJ wasn't on your poll and (2) I just don't personally like that style as much as the other two. Best of luck with your choice, whatever it may be!
Old 3 January 2020, 04:14 PM   #63
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

I've posted before that I think the YM can be considered as both a very dressy sports watch and a very sporty dress watch. (The blue dial leaning sportier, & the Rhodium dial leaning dressier). In either case, it is a classier, more refined & slimmed down Sub (with date). People often name the DJ as the perfect "one-watch-collection", but I think the YM (I have the 126622 Platinum w/Rhodium dial) could be it.

The black Sub is probably the classic Rolex, but that does not mean it is the most versatile & it seems like you want/need a very versatile watch that can go from the board room to the diving board. The YM is a better fit IMHO.

The Rhodium dial is eminently readable, so let me put to rest your concern with the beautiful sunburst dial. And as to those who say they don't see many Subs around, how many Rhodium YMs do you think they see?

I predict that you will, eventually, acquire both. I'd get the YM now for the reasons above and (if you need a more practical reason) because it has just been updated with the new 72 hr 3235 movement so when you do get your Submariner (probably soon to be updated movement, too) and wear it on the weekends you won't have to adjust the YM.
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 05:04 PM   #64
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

Put the tw0oside by side, and the choice will be obvious. One is stunning, and the other is juat another watch albeit more popular.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 06:39 PM   #65
MYBROTHERSKEEPER
Banned

No date sub all day over the YM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MYBROTHERSKEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:23 PM   #66
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I voted YM.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:24 PM   #67
Gdaso
"TRF" Member

Sub for me
Gdaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:26 PM   #68
chris242
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610lv
i’d go sub! those pcl’s dont really do it for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chris242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:29 PM   #69
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Arghh. How do I make this decision!?

I love the White Dial Datejust. I love the black dial Sub. I love this YM. But, I can only afford ONE.

The Datejust is a really formal watch. Love the fluted Bezel! I wear suits for work so great choice. White goes with everything. But it doesnt feel right to wear a blingy fluted bezel datejust when not in a suit. Not a do it all watch.

The Sub however, does well in both situations but not as dressy and really unfortunatley common and a bit of a big compromise in the dress category.

The YM, im hoping is the blend of both. Dressy, blingy enough but still versatile and robust enought to be suitable for any occasion.

FOR THE YM
Love the bi-directional silver bezel,
love the comfort factor with the curved lugs and rounded profile
Love the polish
Concerned that it might a terrible compromise of the above and underwhelming due to a lack of contrast and legibility. Also concerned that it doesnt have the glide lock

FOR THE SUB
love the legibility and readability the contrast of black and white,
Love the glidelock system, l
Love the ruggedness and iconic nature
Concerned that it's not as versatile, the black and white is not as versatile as a silver, grey compromise. Also concenred that its not as comfy and dressy as the YM

5 days of the week I will be in suits, the weekends, jeans and t shirt.

I've read some of the other reviews on the board and a few people have said that the YM can be a little underwhelming in person with the lack of contrast. I searched and looked at a bunch of wrist shots and in some shots it looks stunning, and others it looks kind of blah. I guess Its a polarizing feature, in regards to the color scheme. One one hand, I like the monochrome becuase its more versatile, goes well with anything and the flip side would be not as legible because it lacks the striking contrast ad legibility that a black face sub would provide.

Anyone have both and can provide any side by side pics?
Anyone have the YM Rhodium and soldi it - if so why?
Anyone have the sub and sold it to get the YM - if so why?

Again, I only get one. Ive eliminated the White dial datejust becuase as beautiful as it is as a dress watch, iMO its a dress watch and thats it. I love it, its a head turner for sure, but very limited in its role. The sub is the other end of the extreme, not a head turner, simple common. ( I know its a rolex but still common)

The YM is my desire to find the ONE watch to comromise these two beauties, based on that, how would you vote for me? YM or Sub

You keep mentioning the Yacht Master doesn't have a glide lock. Unless your wrist expands over 5mm a day its a mute point. Easy link is good enough for 95 percent of people. If its that big of a deal I think you could source one and add it to the YM. As stated with the Maxi dial and Mercedes hands telling time should be a non issue. I have a Diamond dial DJ41 rhodium with thin gold hands and diamond markers on sunburst dial. I can't tell the time at a glance ever, but its so good looking. It just takes getting used to. Get The YM you want it. Or if you like the DJ look at the DJ41 rhodium with smooth and jubilee, with the money that you save you could add the ND in no time. Almost 2 very different and versatile watches for the price of the YM. Rhodium goes with everything and with the sticks and thicker lumed hands legibility will be much better and its more modern then the white dial. Very modern set up imo. A 2 watch collection for any occasion.
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:45 PM   #70
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I vote YM. Platinum, blue, rhodium, chocolate, black, whatever. They all look much better than the 114060 Sub to me.

A friend of mine got his 114060 back in 2015 and I never took to it. He absolutely hated my YM on picture until he saw it on my wrist and said "never ever sell that watch".

Many people share an opinion based on pictures only, not on real life experience. And as we all know photographs can be deceiving.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 12:45 AM   #71
chrissieboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc, zblue, YM b
I currently own a blue dial Yachtmaster 116622, a Milgauss Z-blue 116400GV and a Submariner 114060.

I can post comparison pics and a video over the weekend, if that helps.

I would make the following observations, having owned the YM for 2 years and the Sub for a year (prior to that, a 5-digit sub reference):-

Before I purchased the YM, I had my heart set on a BLNR but as soon as I tried the YM - it sang so loudly - I knew it was for me.

For me, the beauty of the PCL, sunburst dial and platinum bezel really come to life in well lit conditions (in the sun, an AD showroom). Living in Lincolnshire UK, when we do see some sun, the YM really shines and gives you such a display on the wrist! It can seem more subdued in less well lit circumstances but this only makes the 'coming out' in the sun more special!

I have a very small wrist and I reckon I can only just pull off a 6 digit sub. The YM case (probably closer to a 5 digit sub dimension but more rounded) fits so well on the wrist and does not feel as bulky/ slab like as the sub.

In good light, the knurled edge of the sub bezel and reflective ceramic bezel can appear more 'bling' than you would sometimes think!

Interestingly, in the small town I live in I know one other sub owner but 2 other YM owners (one has a yellow gold, the other both plat dial and the new 42 which is beyond stunning in the flesh).

Which would I keep if a gun to the head? Very difficult choice. I wear the sub more - probably as it is less prone to scratches, feels good and rugged for most situations and I want to keep the YM as minty for as long
as possible. Having said that, the minute you put on the YM, it feels so sexy and special - it is a treat every time!

Good luck in your choice!!
chrissieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 02:23 PM   #72
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
You keep mentioning the Yacht Master doesn't have a glide lock. Unless your wrist expands over 5mm a day its a mute point. Easy link is good enough for 95 percent of people. If its that big of a deal I think you could source one and add it to the YM. As stated with the Maxi dial and Mercedes hands telling time should be a non issue. I have a Diamond dial DJ41 rhodium with thin gold hands and diamond markers on sunburst dial. I can't tell the time at a glance ever, but its so good looking. It just takes getting used to. Get The YM you want it. Or if you like the DJ look at the DJ41 rhodium with smooth and jubilee, with the money that you save you could add the ND in no time. Almost 2 very different and versatile watches for the price of the YM. Rhodium goes with everything and with the sticks and thicker lumed hands legibility will be much better and its more modern then the white dial. Very modern set up imo. A 2 watch collection for any occasion.
Thank you. I don’t know what 5mm means I’m terms of tightness or looseness. My wrist is 6.5in ish is the difference between it mean it goes from being normal to soo loose it hangs off my wrist?
jwalker497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 02:31 PM   #73
broham84
"TRF" Member

As a 6 digit sub and the YM rhodium owner I would pick the YM over no date 6 digit sub anytime of the day and twice on Sunday.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:11 PM   #74
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham84 View Post
As a 6 digit sub and the YM rhodium owner I would pick the YM over no date 6 digit sub anytime of the day and twice on Sunday.
Why do you say that?

Can you post any side by side pics?
Old 4 January 2020, 03:15 PM   #75
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Here’s 2 pics of my concern with the YM readability issue, the sub doesn’t have this problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6E862FF1-DCA6-45A8-BB1F-056A9EF89467.jpeg (181.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpeg 82703F9A-95A7-4325-8F1C-F88575636B35.jpeg (170.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpeg B5703149-861D-4E97-A48F-89C9FCB0F410.jpeg (133.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 4 January 2020, 03:19 PM   #76
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. I don’t know what 5mm means I’m terms of tightness or looseness. My wrist is 6.5in ish is the difference between it mean it goes from being normal to soo loose it hangs off my wrist?

It’s equivalent to adding one extra oyster link or removing it. So when it gets hot and your wrist swells you can add an extra link on the fly. The glide lock on the submariner gives you more micro adjustments. But the clasp is much bigger. That’s the trade off. It’s meant to go over a divers suit. If you have a 6.5 inch wrist chances are an easy link extension is all you will ever need.

Old 4 January 2020, 03:24 PM   #77
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Here’s 2 pics of my concern with the YM readability issue, the sub doesn’t have this problem

The YM has the maxi dial. Bigger hour dots. So it will not blend in and make it hard to read. In fact at night time It should be superior. Rolex doesn’t use AR coating on their watches so even at the right angle the submariner is difficult to read at a glance. I have not heard of any legibility issues with the dark rhodium YM.

Old 4 January 2020, 03:30 PM   #78
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Can’t decide - YM Rhodium vs No date SUB

The dial on the YM is absolutely stunning. I have a ND and may add the YM Rhodium dial at some point. I’d go with Rhodium dial
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:31 PM   #79
michael8238
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always changing
Def the YM.
Such a beautiful yet underrated piece.
michael8238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:38 PM   #80
jwalker497
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The YM has the maxi dial. Bigger hour dots. So it will not blend in and make it hard to read. In fact at night time It should be superior. Rolex doesn’t use AR coating on their watches so even at the right angle the submariner is difficult to read at a glance. I have not heard of any legibility issues with the dark rhodium YM.

They both have the maxi dials. At least the ones I’d be looking at but the YM markers do look bigger in the pics I’ve seen. Anyone can comment?
Old 4 January 2020, 03:50 PM   #81
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:

I’ve never had an issue with legibility reading my sub. First I’ve heard someone say that
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 03:57 PM   #82
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post
I’ve never had an issue with legibility reading my sub. First I’ve heard someone say that

I’m talking about the reflection from the sapphire crystal. At an angle I can’t tell the time at a glance until I rotate the dial sometimes.

Old 4 January 2020, 03:57 PM   #83
marcusp23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, CHNR an
Quote:

If you look at those side by side pics and say - gimme the shiny hard to read gray one, then go for the YM. But it’s an easy call for me - Sub all the way
marcusp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 04:01 PM   #84
broham84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do you say that?

Can you post any side by side pics?
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=715355

Your side by side picture with glare only happens in picture, I never had problems with it.

I too wear suits to work everyday, and YM all day long I find myself stealing hers quite often. Sub’s case looks much larger in real life and unrefined compared to YM.
Old 4 January 2020, 04:01 PM   #85
teabags001
Banned

Can’t decide - YM Rhodium vs No date SUB

Quote:
They both have the maxi dials. At least the ones I’d be looking at but the YM markers do look bigger in the pics I’ve seen. Anyone can comment?

You can definitely tell the YM has the maxi dial. I have a 5 digit sub and it does not have a maxi dial. I know the old Kermit did.

Sent from my iPhone using Ta
Old 4 January 2020, 05:10 PM   #86
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusp23 View Post

First picture is the example of the glare from the sapphire I was talking about. Not the dial itself.
Old 4 January 2020, 05:49 PM   #87
junamuan
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I would pick YM. Sub maybe a classic but I like YM Rhodium 40s unpopularity.
junamuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 06:17 PM   #88
Lawrence of Alabama
"TRF" Member

Remember, James Bond wore a submariner with a tux and suit. Sub is the all rounder in my book...It’s perfect for everything.
Lawrence of Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 06:30 PM   #89
broham84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Alabama View Post
Remember, James Bond wore a submariner with a tux and suit. Sub is the all rounder in my book...It’s perfect for everything.
Pretty sure Bond wore a 4 digit sub, a far cry from what the current sub is today.
Old 4 January 2020, 08:52 PM   #90
yakface82
"TRF" Member

Easy decision - YM any day. I have had mine for 3 weeks and wears so much nicer than the Sub (which I also love). The YM is the upmarket Sub, and is just stunning!

yakface82 is offline   Reply With Quote