The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2015, 08:47 AM   #61
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Great perspective, beautiful WT and collection, Ken!
Thanks!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 09:22 AM   #62
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
much depends on how you take the picture

but this is a 55mm Lange & Söhne .. and I think I can wear it :-)

Beautiful Watch and Sweater. Great Style Bruno!
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 06:27 PM   #63
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

With the same wrist

Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2015, 07:04 PM   #64
cinch
"TRF" Member

Both look very good!
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 03:20 PM   #65
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Well, to enjoy the watch, it will have to look good on me.
I was never the ones to comment if it's 39mm or under then it's a ladies watch. The first question I always ask is the wrist size.
I have put my dad's 36mm DJ on numerous times and it just didn't look good on me due to its smaller size. So for me, watch size does matter.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 11:08 PM   #66
stradman
"TRF" Member

Watch: TBA
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsubby View Post
Well, to enjoy the watch, it will have to look good on me.
I was never the ones to comment if it's 39mm or under then it's a ladies watch. The first question I always ask is the wrist size.
I have put my dad's 36mm DJ on numerous times and it just didn't look good on me due to its smaller size. So for me, watch size does matter.
Well I think that for many of the younger generation size does matter. My son also tried on an old DJ I have and said exactly the same thing. In fact he said it looked like a girls watch(size wise). So I think this probably doesn't bode too well for the collectors who have "smaller" watch sizes like say under 39-40mm. I think these watches will become less desirable as the new generation have larger watches hard wired in their brains. I don't think it is an issue of wrist size as many people with smaller wrists wear larger watches(heck women do all the time nowadays!). So for a guy to wear a 36mm has a bit of stigma connected to it. Whether the fashion will change again, don't know....
stradman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 11:46 PM   #67
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradman View Post
Well I think that for many of the younger generation size does matter. My son also tried on an old DJ I have and said exactly the same thing. In fact he said it looked like a girls watch(size wise). So I think this probably doesn't bode too well for the collectors who have "smaller" watch sizes like say under 39-40mm. I think these watches will become less desirable as the new generation have larger watches hard wired in their brains. I don't think it is an issue of wrist size as many people with smaller wrists wear larger watches(heck women do all the time nowadays!). So for a guy to wear a 36mm has a bit of stigma connected to it. Whether the fashion will change again, don't know....
Couldn't disagree more I think they will I'm,t become more and more desirable. The strongest part of collector market is vintage and the sizes are smaller. True high end collectors buy those watches and the watches of significant value and appeal are smaller and that is a fact. The younger generation can buy all big watches they want but the generation with net worth to afford most high end collector watches aren't the 20-30 something. Please do a bit of studying and you shall see where money is flowing in horological world. Again I love all sizes and great collections have variety and variety of the utmost quality.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 11:49 PM   #68
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The strongest part of collector market is vintage and the sizes are smaller. True high end collectors buy those watches and the watches of significant value and appeal are smaller and that is a fact.
Yes you are correct they are smaller. But because of this, I am not so sure that the new generation, when they become able to afford these will be as attracted to these as we, who were brought up with smaller watches are....That's all..
Old 2 March 2015, 11:54 PM   #69
texex91
"TRF" Member

For me it's about lifestyle.

I like sports watches, which tend to be larger these days. It works for me.

I do not like older or smaller watches. I do not collect older watches.

Hence why I really don't spend too much time with Patek. I do like the Nauts of course.

To each there own and as we all know, it comes down to who is laying out the cash to decide what is right or wrong.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2015, 11:56 PM   #70
HL65

Quote:
Yes you are correct they are smaller. But because of this, I am not so sure that the new generation, when they become able to afford these will be as attracted to these as we, who were brought up with smaller watches are....That's all..
When that day comes I will be long gone.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2015, 11:59 PM   #71
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
For me it's about lifestyle.

I like sports watches, which tend to be larger these days. It works for me.

I do not like older or smaller watches. I do not collect older watches.

Hence why I really don't spend too much time with Patek. I do like the Nauts of course.

To each there own and as we all know, it comes down to who is laying out the cash to decide what is right or wrong.
Then why are you here in Patek Forum responding to this thread?

You are right my friend to each their own but again too many people obsessed with size. To me I laugh but never comment when I see people wearing 44mm and plus watches with lugs draping over their small wrists. Again focus should be on quality, fit, feel, etc and that comes in different sizes and packages.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 12:07 AM   #72
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Then why are you here in Patek Forum responding to this thread?

You are right my friend to each their own but again too many people obsessed with size. To me I laugh but never comment when I see people wearing 44mm and plus watches with lugs draping over their small wrists. Again focus should be on quality, fit, feel, etc and that comes in different sizes and packages.
Just to annoy you Ken

I am happy to see you diversifying into ALS
Old 3 March 2015, 12:09 AM   #73
HL65

Quote:
Just to annoy you Ken

I am happy to see you diversifying into ALS

The funny thing is the most vocal member here about small watch sizes being for women has a tiny wrist and his watches drape over them. To me looks like a 100 lb guy wearing XX large shirts and swimming in them.

So yes people should factor wrist size and focus on what watches actually look like versus taking an adamant stand one way or the other. Just saying....

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 12:13 AM   #74
stradman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When that day comes I will be long gone.
Well I'm sure you got a lot more life in you, you ol' dog!!
Old 3 March 2015, 12:16 AM   #75
HL65

Quote:
Well I'm sure you got a lot more life in you, you ol' dog!!

Oh I do but as I said when vintage and classic size goes by way side I will be long gone!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 12:18 AM   #76
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Actually, I find that as I mature, my taste start to change and I prefer smaller, more elegant looking watches. I do keep a few biggies though as they look better with my sports/casual outfit when the occassion calls for it.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 12:31 AM   #77
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The funny thing is the most vocal member here about small watch sizes being for women has a tiny wrist and his watches drape over them. To me looks like a 100 lb guy wearing XX large shirts and swimming in them.

So yes people should factor wrist size and focus on what watches actually look like versus taking an adamant stand one way or the other. Just saying....
Don't know if that comment was for me...

I certainly don't buy things based upon what others think. If I did I would never buy anything.

I buy watches, cars, homes, etc based upon what I think is right.

I can certainly have an opinion, but would never base a purchase, large or small, because it doesn't appeal to someone else (okay maybe if a hot chick at a clothing store tells me I look great in something, I might succumb to stuipidity .

Everyone IS entitled to their opinion, hence, taking a stand. Again, at the end of the day, it's THEIR money so more power to them.
Old 3 March 2015, 12:34 AM   #78
HL65

Quote:
Don't know if that comment was for me...

I certainly don't buy things based upon what others think. If I did I would never buy anything.

I buy watches, cars, homes, etc based upon what I think is right. I can certainly have an opinion, but would never base a purchase, large or small, because it doesn't appeal to someone else.

Everyone IS entitled to their opinion, hence, taking a stand. Again, at the end of the day, it's THEIR money so more power to them.
No definitely not for you my friend not even close!! Meant for someone here who is constantly calling sub 40mm watches meant for women and not men.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 12:36 AM   #79
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No definitely not for you my friend not even close!! Meant for someone here who is constantly calling sub 40mm watches meant for women and not men.
GOLD GOLD...oh sorry that was for someone else

Old 3 March 2015, 01:16 AM   #80
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I agree with the sentiment of ever increasing size of watches. Patek has not gone too overboard with large dials as others Swiss watch manufacturers have. The increase in dial size have been most noteworthy on the Calatravas. They used to be in the 30-33mm sizes and currently the 5227 is at a 39mm dial size, with other current model Calatravas are in the 36-38mm size range.

I agree that there is a market for smaller dial vintage watches. However I think it will depend on the taste of new collectors. My opinion is that the millennial generation is not going to go for the smaller dial watches of their parent's generation. But we shall see about that as the number of younger watch collectors is still small compared to the number of older watch collectors.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 01:19 AM   #81
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

Be careful my dear Ken, Patek could perhaps present a "Pizza" watch
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 01:35 AM   #82
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasseur View Post
Be careful my dear Ken, Patek could perhaps present a "Pizza" watch

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 03:29 AM   #83
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
It depends on the watch but I agree that for a dress watch I could go 37-38mm, whereas for sports watches my perfect size would be 39-41mm depending on how they wear, for example a 41mm 15400 is IMO too big for me.

You have 7.5 wrists Ken? That's big wrists I understand when you have that wrist size you can basically wear anything, from 37mm dress watches, even if it isn't the latest trend I think smaller dress watches look fine, to 47mm Pams.

With my 6.5 it depends, I have very flat wrists, not round at all so some big watches are ok for me, my 44mm Pams were just right IMO, I just prefer to wear smaller sizes now, for me both my Nautiluses fit just right not too big or too small...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 04:30 AM   #84
mimo5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
It's taken me some time, a few false starts, and some money, to realize that my sweet-spot for daily wear watches is 40-42mm. Any bigger and I feel it's just too large on my 6.75 wrist. Even a thick 42mm feels a bit too big.
That said, I also learned that although some smaller cases, such as 36mm Rolex classics, work on my wrist, they just don't satisfy me as much.
So I sold off my 42mm JLC chrono, 41mm (wears larger) IWC Portuguese, 36mm DateJust, and 36mm Explorer I.
...something about owning a Nautilus made the majority of my collection inadequate 😉
I would more than happily welcome a dress Patek 37-39mm Calatrava or more likely WT. Definitely on the radar...just not next in line. Although Ken, your 5110P pics have me drooling!
mimo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 05:52 AM   #85
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Been collecting "wristies" since 1985, when 32mm seemed to be the lower threshold for size on my 7.5" wrist. At different points in time, most in the last few years, I have been very wishy-washy about size thresholds on both ends.
For the most part, I like 42mm on the upper end, but have had limited experience with bigger pieces. On the lower end, it depends on the watch and my mood. Today, 34mm is the lower threshold. Half a year ago, I couldn't bear the "small" size of a Rolex Datejust at 36mm.
Here is today's wristwatch, ironically referred to by some as "the poor man's Patek." After spending my watch funds on a 5980, it seems appropriate. It "weighs in" at a mere 34mm. Seems small as I look at it, but I was wearing the Nautilus all week-end and some 42mm Hamilton chronos the week before. The mind playing tricks on me...

As for the Patek Philippe World Time watches, I appreciate them for the stunning art work they are. However the size of the time dial makes the entire watch seem too small for my taste, despite a generous 37mm diameter.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 09:27 AM   #86
stradman
"TRF" Member

I really like all the photographs taken of the watches which really gives us a great look at the watches(including good ol' Ken's photos!)
However for a size discussion, I really think it would be more useful, where possible of course, to post pictures from further away to see the hand and fingers as well to give a better perspective of the watch on the wrist, so people can better judge accordingly perhaps.

I'll start with mine here, a Lange DS. I have a pretty small wrist but seems to sit ok despite nearly 44mm and 14mm thick. But maybe I'm deluded!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lange photo 2.jpg (59.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg lange photo 1.jpg (58.1 KB, 170 views)
Old 3 March 2015, 12:43 PM   #87
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I agree with this. When today's 20-30 age bracket becomes the 40-50 age bracket they will aspire to acquire what they loved when they couldn't afford it. Also true is the 20-30 year old age bracket's greater ability to make money than in generation's past. Patek has forgotten that it's not just 50 year olds that have money. And unfortunately that's a huge mistake in my opinion. If you don't capture that audience now, they will simply forget about you in the future. Just my belief. Who knows what the future will hold...

Quote:
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 12:58 PM   #88
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
I agree with this. When today's 20-30 age bracket becomes the 40-50 age bracket they will aspire to acquire what they loved when they couldn't afford it. Also true is the 20-30 year old age bracket's greater ability to make money than in generation's past. Patek has forgotten that it's not just 50 year olds that have money. And unfortunately that's a huge mistake in my opinion. If you don't capture that audience now, they will simply forget about you in the future. Just my belief. Who knows what the future will hold...
Or their taste can completely change and come around to vintage or smaller sizes. The reality is who knows? Trust me nobody knows and if they say they do you should give them all of your money and ask them to invest it for you.

All I know is the reason for my post was don't get too obsessed with size of watch rather focus on quality, fit and feel. Also variety in a collection is a good thing.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 3 March 2015, 01:00 PM   #89
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
At 2 mins 20 sec in Thierry Stern states the smaller Calatrava is not for someone who is 30 years old which is why he made the 5227 a 39mm case. 37-42mm is fine for me and I am 34 years old. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRzzAi_NtE
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2015, 01:50 PM   #90
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Happy you shared that. Just the fact he mentioned it is a relief to know he's at least thinking in that direction, knowing that today's 30 year old has different tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
At 2 mins 20 sec in Thierry Stern states the smaller Calatrava is not for someone who is 30 years old which is why he made the 5227 a 39mm case. 37-42mm is fine for me and I am 34 years old. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRzzAi_NtE
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote