The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 June 2016, 09:49 AM   #61
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
It was a joke.

Buy the 5712, it's quite clearly the one you love. Plus, the Aquanaut's a bit naff.

Yeah, it's tacky, lame and worthless. Classy member you are...
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 10:57 AM   #62
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Yeah, it's tacky, lame and worthless. Classy member you are...
Yoda would agree. Don't put words in my mouth, and lighten up.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 12:40 PM   #63
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
With a twist. White gold and on a tropical bracelet. Totally under the radar.
Totally changes the look, I really like it!
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 01:43 PM   #64
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Classy comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
It was a joke.

Buy the 5712, it's quite clearly the one you love. Plus, the Aquanaut's a bit naff.
Keep at it and you'll trump everyone on this forum!
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2016, 11:55 PM   #65
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Lol. Literally.
Old 17 June 2016, 12:51 AM   #66
Jack Cassidy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I will help you. IMO clearly the choice will be a close call between the two premium complication watches in this group: 5712 vs. 5164.

Read Luke Rhinehart: The Diceman - and buy a dice. If it is an even number, it will be 5712, uneven 5164. This decision-making approach in deep dilemmas will save you from all the energy draining hassle of inner personal ambivalence and fluctuating conflicting feelings.
Jack Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 01:15 AM   #67
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cassidy View Post
I will help you. IMO clearly the choice will be a close call between the two premium complication watches in this group: 5712 vs. 5164.

Read Luke Rhinehart: The Diceman - and buy a dice. If it is an even number, it will be 5712, uneven 5164. This decision-making approach in deep dilemmas will save you from all the energy draining hassle of inner personal ambivalence and fluctuating conflicting feelings.

Buying a watch isn't a hassle and my energy levels are just fine 😀

I've decided to get the 5712 *and* the 5167. Actually getting them will take a while as my AD doesn't have stock.

Will post pics once I've acquired either of them. Thanks all for the excellent feedback and advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 01:34 AM   #68
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkalot View Post
Buying a watch isn't a hassle and my energy levels are just fine ��

I've decided to get the 5712 *and* the 5167. Actually getting them will take a while as my AD doesn't have stock.

Will post pics once I've acquired either of them. Thanks all for the excellent feedback and advice!

Great choice...go big (i.e. get both) or go home! ��������

I had this combo as well. I moved both of them for different reasons. I miss my 5712/1a, but have quelled that "sorrow" by recently adding its brother, the 5711. In retrospect, I should not have moved the 5712 although I love the 5711.

You will get great enjoyment out of both. The 5712 offers useful/fun complications and the 240 movement with a blue dial (and a few touches of red) and the silky smooth Nautilus bracelet; the 5167 offers uber comfort with understated versatility and more WR for the pool, etc. Excellent!

Look forward to the incomings!
Old 17 June 2016, 05:37 AM   #69
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Hilarious!
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2016, 04:03 PM   #70
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Great choice...go big (i.e. get both) or go home! ��������

I had this combo as well. I moved both of them for different reasons. I miss my 5712/1a, but have quelled that "sorrow" by recently adding its brother, the 5711. In retrospect, I should not have moved the 5712 although I love the 5711.

You will get great enjoyment out of both. The 5712 offers useful/fun complications and the 240 movement with a blue dial (and a few touches of red) and the silky smooth Nautilus bracelet; the 5167 offers uber comfort with understated versatility and more WR for the pool, etc. Excellent!

Look forward to the incomings!
I am hoping it won't be too long a wait! No AD has stock. One of them was very helpful and said he can add me to the 5712 waitlist which is apparently 2 years long!! *head hits desk*
Old 20 June 2016, 03:36 PM   #71
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am hoping it won't be too long a wait! No AD has stock. One of them was very helpful and said he can add me to the 5712 waitlist which is apparently 2 years long!! *head hits desk*
Called every single AD across Singapore. No 5712 or 5167 in the country!! Some independent seller options but none I would trust. Now I wait... which I am not very good at doing. I read about someone here waiting for 8 years for a Patek (granted it was a rare watch) but I doubt I'd last 8 weeks even.
Old 20 June 2016, 10:12 PM   #72
Jetkopite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5131R,6263,5712T
Quote:
Called every single AD across Singapore. No 5712 or 5167 in the country!! Some independent seller options but none I would trust. Now I wait... which I am not very good at doing. I read about someone here waiting for 8 years for a Patek (granted it was a rare watch) but I doubt I'd last 8 weeks even.
The 5712 is very hard to get from ADs indeed, I just got back from the Patek AD here in Dubai and he said there is a 4 year waitlist for the steel 5712.. How true that is who knows??
Jetkopite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 10:59 PM   #73
ggencer
"TRF" Member

how come you can't decide on something that easy. Ok Aquanaut's are fine but it is not comparable with Nautilus and 5712 is the exceptional one in that series. The answer is of course 5712
ggencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 11:21 PM   #74
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I like the same watches as you. I have a 5167 and a 5146 and I'd like the 5712. You probably can't go wrong here...
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2016, 11:41 PM   #75
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

I've already decided on getting the 5712 and 5167. However, the issue is actually acquiring one! 😩 here is hoping the waiting time is months and not years...

Old 21 June 2016, 02:02 AM   #76
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 Fluted/Jub
I own an 5167A aquanaut and my dressy is a JLC Master Calendar. Looking to add a 5711 in near future.

If I were choosing between the Aqua 5167A and Naut, for me, I'd go with a Naut first.
I love my Aqua, it is a perfect sporty, go anywhere (within reason) hot weather, casual to bus casual watch.

But, I lust for the 5711 all the same. As addition. I think the perfect 3 watches are a dressy Patek like you have, a naut and an aqua. All are must have, all are no brainers.
Mitch105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 02:59 AM   #77
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Quote:
I've already decided on getting the 5712 and 5167. However, the issue is actually acquiring one! 😩 here is hoping the waiting time is months and not years...

I owned a 5167 and recently bought a 5712.. I ended up just selling the 5167 because I knew I would never wear it again. I had good intentions of keeping the 5167, but you just won't wear it if you have a 5712 sitting next to it
Old 21 June 2016, 09:29 AM   #78
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
I owned a 5167 and recently bought a 5712.. I ended up just selling the 5167 because I knew I would never wear it again. I had good intentions of keeping the 5167, but you just won't wear it if you have a 5712 sitting next to it
I can see that for most watches true. But the aqua to me is not a lesser watch. It's basically a walk around nautilus for breezy days out, for weekend, sports, beaches, pools, shorts and t shirt or casual day at office. It's the watch you wear when you don't want to bang up or be too dressy with nautilus.

So, while yes it's the cheapest Patek, it's also the most versatile Patek and carefree one (relative to a Patek, it's no indestructible Rolex sub or Milgauss) The aqua allows you to enjoy more Patek more often cause once you have a Patek....oh boy everything else is lesser but the aqua itself is every bit Patek.

I think the naut, and Aqua, and a complications Patek dress watch are the holy trio of Patek.

For now I have a Patek and jlc but aspire to add a naut and complications.
Old 21 June 2016, 09:48 AM   #79
Tony64
"TRF" Member

I'd choose a simple steel aquanaut as I think it compliments your 5146 quite well.
On the other hand, if it was to be your only Patek then the Nautilus without question.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:53 AM   #80
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch105 View Post
I can see that for most watches true. But the aqua to me is not a lesser watch. It's basically a walk around nautilus for breezy days out, for weekend, sports, beaches, pools, shorts and t shirt or casual day at office. It's the watch you wear when you don't want to bang up or be too dressy with nautilus.

So, while yes it's the cheapest Patek, it's also the most versatile Patek and carefree one (relative to a Patek, it's no indestructible Rolex sub or Milgauss) The aqua allows you to enjoy more Patek more often cause once you have a Patek....oh boy everything else is lesser but the aqua itself is every bit Patek.

I think the naut, and Aqua, and a complications Patek dress watch are the holy trio of Patek.

For now I have a Patek and jlc but aspire to add a naut and complications.

Absolutely, I'm not diminishing the Aquanaut; it was one of my favourite watches. The problem is, the Nautilus is just THAT good. Sitting side by side in the watch box, I just couldn't seem to want to pick the Aquanaut up ...

For beach/pool etc I lean on my Sub ... I just couldn't expose a high polish beauty like the 5167 or the 5712 to the sand etc. The Sub is a perfect watch for when I just want something that I know can take anything.
Old 21 June 2016, 10:13 AM   #81
Mitch105
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely, I'm not diminishing the Aquanaut; it was one of my favourite watches. The problem is, the Nautilus is just THAT good. Sitting side by side in the watch box, I just couldn't seem to want to pick the Aquanaut up ...

For beach/pool etc I lean on my Sub ... I just couldn't expose a high polish beauty like the 5167 or the 5712 to the sand etc. The Sub is a perfect watch for when I just want something that I know can take anything.
Yes. but while the 5167 is nicely finished it actually is the watch I could stand with some character patina from the experience of wearing it often. With a naut I'd want it flawless as possible. So for me both please. And a dress watch on a strap. Jlc master calendar is my poor mans 5396 for now.
Old 21 June 2016, 02:33 PM   #82
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
I owned a 5167 and recently bought a 5712.. I ended up just selling the 5167 because I knew I would never wear it again
That´s funny. Even after having added a Nautilus I still wear my 5167 more often.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 05:28 PM   #83
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Help! Can't decide between 5167 vs 5712 vs 5164

For those who have been following this thread - I started with 5712, 5164 and 5167 - saying I needed help selecting *one* of them.

Then I decided that I want to get the 5712 *and* 5167. I don't travel enough to justify paying an extra $15K for the dual time zone complication of the 5164.

The AD called today - they were able to get a 5164. Why couldn't it be the 5712 or the 5167?! Why Oh Why?!

Old 22 June 2016, 07:50 PM   #84
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

^^^^^^^
That is sods law
Old 23 June 2016, 02:16 AM   #85
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For those who have been following this thread - I started with 5712, 5164 and 5167 - saying I needed help selecting *one* of them.

Then I decided that I want to get the 5712 *and* 5167. I don't travel enough to justify paying an extra $15K for the dual time zone complication of the 5164.

The AD called today - they were able to get a 5164. Why couldn't it be the 5712 or the 5167?! Why Oh Why?!

I would not pay a premium for a complication you may rarely use. The 5167 of the best of both worlds and hardly a naff piece as some would say. I was on the fence between both and given my limited travel and my iPhone it just didn't make any sense. Not to mention the date on a 5164 is near impossible to read.
Old 23 June 2016, 05:55 PM   #86
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
DO IT!

, it's worth the wait for the one(s) you really love.
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2016, 08:13 PM   #87
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
Well I have no problem wearing my Rolex's after wearing my Pateks inc my White Gold Submariner so I dont see any problem with it.. Its abit too much saying its IMPOSIBLE to wear a Rolex after wearing a Patek I think..
I said that I found them impossible, not that it was....
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 03:27 PM   #88
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I'd choose a simple steel aquanaut as I think it compliments your 5146 quite well.
On the other hand, if it was to be your only Patek then the Nautilus without question.
I already have a 5146 that I have no intention of selling. I am still in the mode of adding. I am sure a few years later, I might feel differently and want to consolidate into a higher end piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
I would not pay a premium for a complication you may rarely use. The 5167 of the best of both worlds and hardly a naff piece as some would say. I was on the fence between both and given my limited travel and my iPhone it just didn't make any sense. Not to mention the date on a 5164 is near impossible to read.
Totally agreed. The differential can go into the fund for the "next one" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintfca View Post
DO IT!

, it's worth the wait for the one(s) you really love.
Amazing looking watches and great case too. What case is that?
Old 27 June 2016, 12:02 PM   #89
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkopite View Post
I would go for the 5712, the dial is amazing and so comfortable to wear and also looks great with shorts and T shirt as it does with a suit and tie..
Sharp.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2016, 06:41 PM   #90
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
Quote:
Amazing looking watches and great case too. What case is that?
It's a Patek travel case.
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote