The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2024, 12:40 PM   #61
m4rty
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
A common suggestion regarding safes is to buy what you need storage for now, then multiply it (capacity) by three or four to allow for future accommodations....
m4rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 05:23 PM   #62
28mm
"TRF" Member

Get a good safe and put it in the bedroom closet where everybody puts their safes. Get some inexpensive replica watches and keep them in there.

Get another safe, hide it somewhere and put your watches in it!

I don't think a burglar who manages to break into a safe in your bedroom is going to stick around with a high powered loop and see if they can determine if it's legit.
Old 21 January 2024, 06:40 PM   #63
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I have a house security system and high level vault at home.
Furthermore I rent a safe at my bank location. Normal insurance.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 09:21 PM   #64
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Fire rated safe, bolted to the floor and hidden from sight.
Motion sensor alarm.
But most watches are at a bank vault with only a few at home.
And a strong insurance policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 09:56 PM   #65
Taylunatic
"TRF" Member

Have a pro alarm installed with cameras. Insure your valuables. Watches in the gun safe. If still worried, then reallocate - sell the watches and put the money in the bank.
Taylunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2024, 11:26 PM   #66
Billyrolls
"TRF" Member

Does anyone hide their empty watch boxes? Just curious.

The storage of my watches are well concealed in my home--not worried about that.

Then one day I opened up my closet and seeing the empty watch boxes screamed at me. It's the clearest signal to a burglar that there are valuables somewhere to be found.
Billyrolls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:03 AM   #67
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyrolls View Post
Does anyone hide their empty watch boxes? Just curious.

The storage of my watches are well concealed in my home--not worried about that.

Then one day I opened up my closet and seeing the empty watch boxes screamed at me. It's the clearest signal to a burglar that there are valuables somewhere to be found.
Get yourself a good monitored alarm system and any would be thieves won't make it but a foot or two past their entry point before they run away due to the alarm going off. They won't even get a chance to find or see your watch boxes.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:09 AM   #68
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Invest in an alarm system in your house, not only do you protect your watches, you protect other valuable and most importantly the occupants of the house. Professionally installed or DIY.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:41 AM   #69
DAGMoney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Two-tone Sub
With all the conversation about safe quality and options, the best thing you can do against economic loss is secure is insurance. Assuming that's an option - and for most of us, it is - make sure coverage is based on current market value of the insured pieces...
DAGMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 12:50 AM   #70
pa1113
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
I know this is a big subject here for many of us. At least for me it became a huge issue as I grew my collection. Do I store my watches at home in a safe, hidden? At the bank? But then it's difficult to access them to wear etc...

Found a great article that covers most of these issues and thought I'd share it here: https://www.watchreviewblog.com/ulti...de-collectors/

I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys on the best way to store/safeguard your collection - I'm always down for some new tips.

My advice is to insure them (makes sense anyway in case something is simply lost or stolen while wearing, from hotel, etc... and then just find a good hiding place or small safe in your home that's also somewhat accessible. If it's too much trouble to get to, then wearing them becomes a hassle.

pa1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 01:17 AM   #71
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
If your watches are insured and your insurance doesn’t required a certain type of storage, then put them in a nice watchbox. No sense in locking away something covered under insurance, unless a particular watch has sentimental value.

Just leave the key fob in the R8 - it’s insured.
Old 22 January 2024, 01:18 AM   #72
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
So much advice here to simply insure your watches as if there is no collateral damage to having knuckleheads ransacking your house looking for treasure and as if new watches just magically reappear when you get payout from your insurance company. I don’t want these violators in my house and if they get into my house I want to deprive them of what they seek. The answer is a monitored alarm system and the best safe you can afford hidden and solidly affixed to an immovable object. Slow them down and wear them out to hunt for greener pastures. There is no single solution, the best solution is multi-layered.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 01:37 AM   #73
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

For people talking about monitored alarm systems, you might want to check with your local police what exactly is their alarm policy.
I know with absolute certainty that many places, including where I live, police will not be rushing to an alarm or even coming at all.

For a start if you read the fine print many alarm monitoring companies won't even call the police for 10-20 minutes unless there's something like a live video feed that they can actively see the intruders.

They often try and contact you first, or just send their own security car. My local police force requires alarm companies to call two key holders before calling the police. By the time that has happened the intruders are likely gone.

If and when the police get called, they won't be rushing to get there. Again, unless the owner is on the phone saying I'm watching them on my CCTV, it will be a lower priority call. 20 minutes if you're lucky, hours or not at all if they're busy.

My long winded point is an alarm is at best a noisy thing to scare them away. But criminals know the response policies for the local police in many cases, and will exploit it.
PhilAviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 02:02 AM   #74
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Nonetheless, a noisy thing to scare them away is a valuable layer in a multi-layered approach.
Old 22 January 2024, 02:09 AM   #75
PhilAviate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Nonetheless, a noisy thing to scare them away is a valuable layer in a multi-layered approach.
But if they know the police aren't coming, which any half decent thief likely knows, the noise won't bother them, they will continue and grab what they came for and be gone long before the cavalry comes.

The noisy alarm may scare away an opportunist, but any dedicated housebreaker will know exactly what they can get away with.

But you know what stops them all. A dog. Neighbours ignore alarms. 96% of them are false alarms. But if your dog is going crazy people respond to that. So thieves will often pick easier targets.
PhilAviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 02:22 AM   #76
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Monitored alarm, thieves aren't hanging around too long with a siren whaling. I leave a watch role with replaceable insured watches (Omega and IWC), plus a few hundred in cash, easy to find. They'll think they "scored" vs. trying to tear my house apart. Most hard-to-replace (SS Rolex) watches are in a safety deposit box at the bank, with only 2 at home. I keep the One I am not wearing well hidden.
Cassian739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 02:32 AM   #77
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilAviate View Post
But if they know the police aren't coming, which any half decent thief likely knows, the noise won't bother them, they will continue and grab what they came for and be gone long before the cavalry comes.

The noisy alarm may scare away an opportunist, but any dedicated housebreaker will know exactly what they can get away with.

But you know what stops them all. A dog. Neighbours ignore alarms. 96% of them are false alarms. But if your dog is going crazy people respond to that. So thieves will often pick easier targets.
You are giving an awful lot of credit to the thoughtful preparation of your average opportunistic burgler and if you live a life of such luxury that you are targeted by cat burglars with ninja skills who know what they are looking for and are prepared to take it then none of it matters anyway, does it? Nonetheless, for normal folk who enjoy watches and keep them at home a monitored alarm in conjunction with other security measures as discussed is a solid plan to address most contingencies. And you can’t leave your dog at home alone for days on end while you’re on vacation, can you. Your argument is based on making the perfect the enemy of the good. This is a numbers game. A dedicated professional burglar who knows what he is looking for already has a plan, at least that’s what the movies tell us. That’s not really who’s going to be breaking into your house so set up multiple obstacles, slow them down, frustrate them and do your best ruin their day.
Old 22 January 2024, 02:44 AM   #78
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGMoney View Post
With all the conversation about safe quality and options, the best thing you can do against economic loss is secure is insurance. Assuming that's an option - and for most of us, it is - make sure coverage is based on current market value of the insured pieces...
Actually no, insurance should be the very last layer in what should be a complex security system. Before your insurance you should secure all entrances to the house, implement an alarm/security system with cameras, quality UL rated safe. Now your last step is to get insurance.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 02:46 AM   #79
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My neighbours definitely would not ignore an alarm, which would be audible to them. So thieves hearing the alarm are certainly going to think twice.
Old 22 January 2024, 02:51 AM   #80
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekfinder View Post
If your watches are insured and your insurance doesn’t required a certain type of storage, then put them in a nice watchbox. No sense in locking away something covered under insurance, unless a particular watch has sentimental value.

Absolutely agree. Hodinkee didn’t even ask how they’re stored.

I have a home security system and that’s it.

I’m not sure what the point of a safe would be, regardless of collection size. A burglar could and would compel a person to open the safe, at which point insurance would pay out

home security and insurance is all one needs, I think
Old 22 January 2024, 03:06 AM   #81
zengineer
"TRF" Member

You guys sure know a little about exactly what "most theives" carry in the way of tools, how they think, what they prefer, will do, won't do, where they'll look, what fools them and how fast they can defeat 99% of safes. Are you like CSI profilers or just watch a lot of YouTube?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 03:14 AM   #82
TimeToTell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16234,118238 & 9
Good safes are great but secrecy of storage location is paramount. I don’t want anyone doing work on the house or any hired help having knowledge that a safe exists. Keep the circle of knowledge to a mandatory minimum.

Burglars need an opportune time for the break in, tools, along with time to search for and defeat the safe. If the existence of a safe is known, home invaders would need a brief element of surprise and have you open the safe at gunpoint.

That’s why I'm willing to let word out that 95% of my valuables are stored off site in bank vaults.

Insurance is a huge plus as well.
TimeToTell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 03:25 AM   #83
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaiguan View Post
Just leave the key fob in the R8 - it’s insured.
It could be argued, leave the watch (or something else of clear value) in plain view. Alarm goes, thief sees the item as an easy win, snags it and leaves. Insurance pays out, and the family is safe. Preventing theft is not the primary goal in a burglary, it’s safety and best way to do that is avoid a face to face interaction and minimize the amount of time the individual is in your house.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 03:31 AM   #84
FB3783
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
Store what you're not wearing at a vault or bank.

My house was burglarized and they were able to get into my safe. At that time my safe expert told me he could get into any safe given enough time

He also said the easiest way to get into your safe is to wait for you to come home and force you to open the safe.

My home didn't have an alarm since we live in a safe neighborhood in a gated community.
Absolutely, all safes do is buy you time. Safes are vulnerable to attack from the sides, back and bottom. Also if it was moved into your house it can be moved out.

Safes need to be part of a comprehensive security strategy.

I would rather use a safe, alarm system, and insurance to protect my stuff than run back and forth to a bank.
FB3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 04:05 AM   #85
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cauhauna View Post
Absolutely agree. Hodinkee didn’t even ask how they’re stored.

I have a home security system and that’s it.

I’m not sure what the point of a safe would be, regardless of collection size. A burglar could and would compel a person to open the safe, at which point insurance would pay out

home security and insurance is all one needs, I think
I'd say this thought it probably reserved more for the USA market where a home kidnapping burglary could be fathomable. Outside the USA for example in Canada, UK, Europe etc a burglary where the owners are forced at gunpoint to open a safe would be national headline due to extreme rarity it just never happens.

So in these areas it makes sense to have an alarm and safe to slow the robbery down to allow police to show up on scene.
Old 22 January 2024, 04:43 AM   #86
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FB3783 View Post

Safes need to be part of a comprehensive security strategy.

I would rather use a safe, alarm system, and insurance to protect my stuff than run back and forth to a bank.
Absolutely.
Old 22 January 2024, 06:05 AM   #87
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Looks like I may be in the minority. I keep most of my watches at the bank. 2 or 3 at home. When I feel like a change (once a month) I go to the bank To swap out. To me, helps me appreciate my collection more.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 06:40 AM   #88
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
You are giving an awful lot of credit to the thoughtful preparation of your average opportunistic burgler and if you live a life of such luxury that you are targeted by cat burglars with ninja skills who know what they are looking for and are prepared to take it then none of it matters anyway, does it? Nonetheless, for normal folk who enjoy watches and keep them at home a monitored alarm in conjunction with other security measures as discussed is a solid plan to address most contingencies. And you can’t leave your dog at home alone for days on end while you’re on vacation, can you. Your argument is based on making the perfect the enemy of the good. This is a numbers game. A dedicated professional burglar who knows what he is looking for already has a plan, at least that’s what the movies tell us. That’s not really who’s going to be breaking into your house so set up multiple obstacles, slow them down, frustrate them and do your best ruin their day.
This. Going out on a limb here but I’d say 95%+ of home burglaries in the US are opportunistic, most likely a drug addict needing a fix. They are not safecrackers or generally violent themselves. They want to be in and out as soon as possible and hoping for to find something valuable that’s easily accessible. A blaring siren and/or barking dog is very likely to send them running. The crack teams and ninja burglars you see in the movies are few and far between and if they exist, their target is much bigger than a few watches in someone’s house.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 08:01 AM   #89
Cassian739
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly - Thomas Crown Affair or Italian Job, this is not....
Cassian739 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2024, 08:06 AM   #90
Dave O
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For people talking about monitored alarm systems, you might want to check with your local police what exactly is their alarm policy.
I know with absolute certainty that many places, including where I live, police will not be rushing to an alarm or even coming at all.

For a start if you read the fine print many alarm monitoring companies won't even call the police for 10-20 minutes unless there's something like a live video feed that they can actively see the intruders.

They often try and contact you first, or just send their own security car. My local police force requires alarm companies to call two key holders before calling the police. By the time that has happened the intruders are likely gone.

If and when the police get called, they won't be rushing to get there. Again, unless the owner is on the phone saying I'm watching them on my CCTV, it will be a lower priority call. 20 minutes if you're lucky, hours or not at all if they're busy.

My long winded point is an alarm is at best a noisy thing to scare them away. But criminals know the response policies for the local police in many cases, and will exploit it.
You must live in an area where you have very poor police service. My alarm company calls me in under a minute whenever my alarm goes off. If I don't give them the pass code their next call is to the police. In my neck of the woods, the police will be here in approximately 5 minutes (ask me how I know ). And on top of that, all of my neighbors are tuned in with one another and we all have alarm systems. If we hear an alarm going off we investigate. Lastly, the vast majority of knuckleheads that break into a house will be leaving as soon as they hear the alarm. Are there outliers, sure. But I would venture to say these are few and far between.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection , rolex , storing