The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2023, 05:28 PM   #61
ldlisturb3d
Banned

Watch: 116710LN, 126900,
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceProf View Post
Please don't take the following as a complaint...I'm genuinely looking for some guidance from someone who has "cracked the code" before me, or someone who can offer suggestions that I'm not smart enough to have thought about.

My story:

I've wanted to own a Rolex watch "when I grow up" since I was a kid (for very personal reasons I won't go into here).

Fast forward 40 years and I'm the CEO of a company in Europe (living in NW Germany as a US expatriate).

I started visiting the AD in Oldenburg (Juweliere Mahlberg-Meyer) on the weekends. I was interested in an Air King or a Datejust. After a number of visits, I managed to get the salesperson to say the quiet part out loud. "No, there really is no list, and no, you are not getting a watch from us". That was discouraging and crushed a lifelong dream, but I was thankful that at least he was honest. I wondered if it was because I am an American and therefore won't be a lifelong Germany resident and customer for them.

After retiring from my CEO job, I came home to Michigan. I had substantial net worth (CEO golden parachute) and wanted to begin collecting Rolex watches. I would have been willing to spend $100k to buy 5-6 watches so that I could have a rotation to wear during the week.

I started visiting two ADs, Tappers Jewelry and Rottermond Jewelers (suburbs of Detroit). I was still looking to break the ice with that first Datejust or Air King. A year or two later, no watch.

Now I live in NW Florida (retired here). My closest AD is Jewelers Trade Shop. I'm "on the list" for a bluesy 16613LB which is a little more expensive and so I have heard that it's easier to get? More than a year later, still no watch.

I'm ready to buy the bluesy from the grey market, and then just give up on Rolex entirely after that. My problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell a real Rolex from a "super fake" and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

My questions for you all:

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!
My honest advice to you is that you arent presenting yourself properly. If you are a CEO which is a + with Rolex and you still cant get a entry level date just then you might be coming off as entitled to your AD.

THIS MATTERS SO MUCH. I LIVE IN LONDON where the money flows like crazy, im not rich and i get offered watches. You have to concede mentally that rolex is a sellers market and not buyers. You have to play that game in the AD. Make them LIKE YOU. Your money is meaningless. They could sell to anyone. Make them WANT to sell to you.

Part 2: another brand that is good as Rolex but not as great is OMEGA. They have a range of watches. But to be fair if you getting a watch from the swatch group it will last a life time.
ldlisturb3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 05:32 PM   #62
ldlisturb3d
Banned

Watch: 116710LN, 126900,
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
Not meant to be rude, but are you a likable person?

It's hard to believe you couldn't land a fairly basic watch across multiple ADs over a few years. Only thing I can think of is you may be offputting to the ADs for some reason. Again, not meant as an insult at all, just something to think about. Whether the AD sales people are right or not, is there a chance that they perceive you as something you aren't, or something you don't realize?
You hit it on the head. Im not with him but it seems he's not selling himself hahaha.
ldlisturb3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 06:02 PM   #63
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
For me I always find it a turnoff when someone feels the need to tell me how much they could spend or what they’ve done in their life. We all clearly love watches it’s not that hard if you want to pay up for one or more just spend the $$$
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 09:37 PM   #64
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Kind of funny. "How do you crack the AD code?" Followed by "I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex." That's how you crack the code, pal.

TT Submariners should be easier to acquire at retail because they are less desirable to the masses, it's not because they have a higher MSRP than all stainless steel. Good luck to you. Buying a new Rolex is definitely frustrating.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 10:10 PM   #65
youneswatches
Banned

Watch: 124060
Go grey buy from a reputable seller.
youneswatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2023, 10:21 PM   #66
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Please don't take the following as a complaint...I'm genuinely looking for some guidance from someone who has "cracked the code" before me, or someone who can offer suggestions that I'm not smart enough to have thought about.

My story:

I've wanted to own a Rolex watch "when I grow up" since I was a kid (for very personal reasons I won't go into here).

Fast forward 40 years and I'm the CEO of a company in Europe (living in NW Germany as a US expatriate).

I started visiting the AD in Oldenburg (Juweliere Mahlberg-Meyer) on the weekends. I was interested in an Air King or a Datejust. After a number of visits, I managed to get the salesperson to say the quiet part out loud. "No, there really is no list, and no, you are not getting a watch from us". That was discouraging and crushed a lifelong dream, but I was thankful that at least he was honest. I wondered if it was because I am an American and therefore won't be a lifelong Germany resident and customer for them.

After retiring from my CEO job, I came home to Michigan. I had substantial net worth (CEO golden parachute) and wanted to begin collecting Rolex watches. I would have been willing to spend $100k to buy 5-6 watches so that I could have a rotation to wear during the week.

I started visiting two ADs, Tappers Jewelry and Rottermond Jewelers (suburbs of Detroit). I was still looking to break the ice with that first Datejust or Air King. A year or two later, no watch.

Now I live in NW Florida (retired here). My closest AD is Jewelers Trade Shop. I'm "on the list" for a bluesy 16613LB which is a little more expensive and so I have heard that it's easier to get? More than a year later, still no watch.

I'm ready to buy the bluesy from the grey market, and then just give up on Rolex entirely after that. My problem is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell a real Rolex from a "super fake" and I don't want to be taken advantage of.

1) How do I crack the code with an AD? FYI - I'm not going to buy a bunch of jewelry I don't want to hope to be "allowed" to buy a Rolex, but if someone will sell me a Rolex watch collection, I am a $100,000 customer over the next couple years.

2) If grey market is my only option, how do you GUARANTEE yourself that you didn't buy a very well executed fake?

3) If I give up on Rolex entirely, what brand would all of you Rolex fans say is the best investment watch and similar in quality (a watch worth putting in my will for my sons)?

Thanks in advance!

Easy really

You ever seen dirty rotten scoundrels?

You walk into an AD and trip yourself so you fall to the floor and then quickly smash a ketchup packet on your head to make it look like you are bleeding. You then scream in pain and when they ask if you are ok say “don’t bother calling an ambulance call my lawyer instead”

Then tell them you will forget the whole thing if they sell you a XXXX model right now at retail with a 10% discount for pain and suffering

Or

Just buy from one the trusted sellers on here
Old 11 September 2023, 11:47 PM   #67
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:

My story:

Thanks in advance!
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/ed/13/16DEF7E1-B325-4480-8BA6-D6B5715F4FB5/tmp.gif
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:08 AM   #68
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRolex View Post
Lol…ceo of a company .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Believe what you wish.

Do you have anything of value to add to the conversation?
FinanceProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:16 AM   #69
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldlisturb3d View Post
My honest advice to you is that you arent presenting yourself properly. If you are a CEO which is a + with Rolex and you still cant get a entry level date just then you might be coming off as entitled to your AD.

THIS MATTERS SO MUCH. I LIVE IN LONDON where the money flows like crazy, im not rich and i get offered watches. You have to concede mentally that rolex is a sellers market and not buyers. You have to play that game in the AD. Make them LIKE YOU. Your money is meaningless. They could sell to anyone. Make them WANT to sell to you.

Part 2: another brand that is good as Rolex but not as great is OMEGA. They have a range of watches. But to be fair if you getting a watch from the swatch group it will last a life time.
Thanks for the response. I do wonder if they think I'm "giving them a line", but they can easily confirm by Googling my name and the company name and they'll find me easily.

I'm willing to accept that I may not be good at "Make them LIKE YOU" so I'll do some self-evaluation. One of my challenges is that it's 1-1/2 hours drive to/from the AD so I can't visit very often.

I like one of the Omega models. The 300M in some colors is very nice. If I decide to "go grey" on a Rolex, I may first buy an Omega to get comfortable with the dealer as the Omega loses 2 grand in value when you walk out the AD's door (so they're a great deal if you go grey).
Old 12 September 2023, 03:37 AM   #70
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
How To Buy A Rolex Watch?

Sounds like you really don’t want a Rolex that badly, or you’d just go grey. Some of us are just regular folk, who love watches, and Rolex, in particular. I walked into an AD, started a relationship, with an SA, and got the call a year later. I can barely afford AD prices, on lower end stuff, so was willing to play the game. Having said that, I feel lucky to be able to indulge my passion, to the extent that I can. Sounds like you don’t have to compromise, nor do you want to. So just go grey, for goodness sake. Any of the trusted sellers listed here can get you “essentially” a brand new Rolex, by tomorrow. As someone who has owned Seanasters, Planet Oceans, Aqua Terras, and Speedmasters, I can tell you they don’t quite measure up to Rolex, so ditch that plan. They do make a nice addition to a Rolex, though. Good luck.

Kat

KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 05:30 AM   #71
Hulkhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I do wonder if they think I'm "giving them a line", but they can easily confirm by Googling my name and the company name and they'll find me easily.

I'm willing to accept that I may not be good at "Make them LIKE YOU" so I'll do some self-evaluation. One of my challenges is that it's 1-1/2 hours drive to/from the AD so I can't visit very often.

I like one of the Omega models. The 300M in some colors is very nice. If I decide to "go grey" on a Rolex, I may first buy an Omega to get comfortable with the dealer as the Omega loses 2 grand in value when you walk out the AD's door (so they're a great deal if you go grey).
Not to be rude but if you are as financially well off as you claim why are you worried about a couple of thousand on an Omega?

The real move would be to buy the Omega from the AD to get the ball rolling.
You can't expect to get what you want without having to at least jump through some of the hoops others have had to.
Hulkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 06:37 AM   #72
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I think Omega would be a better brand for you, since you want quality, easy availability and an absolute guarantee of authenticity.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 07:39 AM   #73
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Buying a new Rolex is definitely frustrating.
So I am learning.
Old 12 September 2023, 07:42 AM   #74
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
First Off...Welcome to the forum...

Your going to get a lot of comments from many of the Watch Wizards on here. They have been here so long they forget they were beginners long ago and they think everyone should be as smart as them, (i think more smartass but i don't want to be rude like them).
They are very helpful here...very knowledgeable, so take notes and take your time.
you've been waiting 4 plus years so learn from the best on here.
Dont rush it.....your in good hands now.

Start off with the one Rolex you want...only one...it show your not a flipper...right off the bat.

your in the right path to Rolexville dude....

Take notes and names and you'll get there...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 07:46 AM   #75
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
I'll pile onto the "just go to a trusted seller/grey" & end the headache. I got my Smurf from a dealer in NJ (I'm in CA) via Chrono24. Money goes into escrow (a minor PITA, but it's secure on both ends), funds get released later so neither party can have both watch & money. I got mine authenticated here before telling C24 that I'm satisfied & the funds can be released. IIRC, I think you have two weeks from date of delivery. If I could've gotten a Smurf at MSRP from an AD, I would've. Unfortunately, it was discontinued before I was in a position to buy.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 07:54 AM   #76
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulkhunter View Post
Not to be rude but if you are as financially well off as you claim why are you worried about a couple of thousand on an Omega?

The real move would be to buy the Omega from the AD to get the ball rolling.
You can't expect to get what you want without having to at least jump through some of the hoops others have had to.
Hulkhunter,

None of the ADs I've visited carry Omega. They typically have Rolex, Tudor, Tag, Tissot, and maybe something like Shinola. Seems like Rolex and Omega don't mix at the same AD? Do you see them together where you live?
Old 12 September 2023, 07:55 AM   #77
HMHM
"TRF" Member

My advice:
1. Start slow. Be patient. Be humble.
2. Find a simple Rolex to start a relationship with an AD. Something like a DJ is fine. For ADs that are PoS, just move on and find another one. A DJ is not difficult, just need some patience.
3. Avoid buying from grey dealers. I understand a lot of people are frustrated but I have seen many people buying grey yet do not have the security that it is genuine. A lot of threads have been posted asking if and where they should authenticate their watches after buying from grey, irrespective of reputation. Some also become paranoid once they notice some imperfections on their watches even though they bought from reasonable brick and mortar grey dealers.
4. Patience will be rewarded at the end.

Good luck!
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:00 AM   #78
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratfisk View Post
I'll pile onto the "just go to a trusted seller/grey" & end the headache. I got my Smurf from a dealer in NJ (I'm in CA) via Chrono24. Money goes into escrow (a minor PITA, but it's secure on both ends), funds get released later so neither party can have both watch & money. I got mine authenticated here before telling C24 that I'm satisfied & the funds can be released. IIRC, I think you have two weeks from date of delivery. If I could've gotten a Smurf at MSRP from an AD, I would've. Unfortunately, it was discontinued before I was in a position to buy.
That's Perfect. That's what I've been looking for. So, you found a way to authenticate the watch? Can you tell me how you did that?

I guess the obvious answer is to have the AD (who has Rolex watchmakers on staff) look at it? Will they do that for a grey market purchase?

I like your solution. That will work for me if I can get the watch authenticated as you did.
Old 12 September 2023, 08:15 AM   #79
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youneswatches View Post
Go grey buy from a reputable seller.
No thanks. Why would you want to support they grey seller whom created this false demand/hyped up rolex watches.

Stop buying from grey sellers whom inflate the prices and just maybe the rolex ad situation could improve.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:21 AM   #80
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
That's Perfect. That's what I've been looking for. So, you found a way to authenticate the watch? Can you tell me how you did that?

I guess the obvious answer is to have the AD (who has Rolex watchmakers on staff) look at it? Will they do that for a grey market purchase?

I like your solution. That will work for me if I can get the watch authenticated as you did.
Yes, I called my two local ADs, but they won't open watches there to authenticate. I have a jeweler that I trust & have worked with for years. She has an extensive network of colleagues in San Diego. She recommended two that she trusts & I went to one of them.

Stressful? Yes. Do I enjoy having $40k hang in escrow while I bop around town? No. Satisfied at the end of the day? Yes.

Also remember, if there's a dollar sign in front of the price, it's negotiable. There's nothing stopping you from suggesting an alternate price to a reputable seller on C24 (or anywhere, I'd imagine) & asking for pictures of whatever you want.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:41 AM   #81
Easy Rhino
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotRolex View Post
Lol…ceo of a company .

My best friend is the owner and CEO (in the process of retiring) of a company he built from scratch over a few decades and that is now valued in the mid 8 figures. Yet I own a Rolex Sub my wife bought for me as a walk-in in Waikiki in 2005 and at a sight discount, but my friend has had no luck acquiring a Rolex, and I have but a fraction of his net worth. Yet he owns houses in multiple states at which he keeps luxury cars, and he and his wife spend a couple of months in Europe each year. His career was not in retail, and he's got no experience buying high end watches. I'm working with an AD to acquire a second Rolex, and have a commitment, such that I've got one for each son when I'm gone, yet my friend has not been able to get a commitment as of yet. Sometimes it's not how much you have.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 08:48 AM   #82
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
life is short - I wouldnt waste it chasing jewellery stores for a Rolex - find a trusted grey dealer like DavidSW, Takuya or European Watch Company - get what you want when you want it and without buying junk that you dont want and a lot of ass kissing.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 10:35 AM   #83
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgg43c View Post
life is short - I wouldnt waste it chasing jewellery stores for a Rolex - find a trusted grey dealer like DavidSW, Takuya or European Watch Company - get what you want when you want it and without buying junk that you dont want and a lot of ass kissing.
Basically this. Guys like David have done transactions here on decade + timelines and if they had unhappy customers you’d have heard about it.

I wouldn’t even bother finding a watchmaker to open it until it (inevitably) needs a service.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 10:37 AM   #84
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
No thanks. Why would you want to support they grey seller whom created this false demand/hyped up rolex watches.

Stop buying from grey sellers whom inflate the prices and just maybe the rolex ad situation could improve.
Erm.

The market price is set by demand not the other way around. TS on here when I joined were selling most references BNIB or LNIB for a discount. I didn’t hear anyone asking them to raise prices to get up to MSRP.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 10:47 AM   #85
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
How To Buy A Rolex Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post

This is entirely false. I bought a Submariner at a discount, about 8 years ago, from one of the trusted sellers here. I bought another from an AD, at a discount, during the same time frame. Demand was lower, than it has been for the last 4-5 years. The grey market prices are starting to come down, finally, and are getting closer to MSRP. The grey dealers are not the problem. Whoever is buying new, and flipping to the grey dealers, are the problem. The Grey Sellers are just smart businessmen. If you have the money, and really want the watch, there is nothing wrong with going grey….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:37 PM   #86
Garry1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Dont waste precious time
Call Takuya and get it on your wrist at very small premium the next day

Check if this works for you it will save you some time.
Garry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2023, 01:52 PM   #87
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONZO2LR View Post
First Off...Welcome to the forum...

Your going to get a lot of comments from many of the Watch Wizards on here. They have been here so long they forget they were beginners long ago and they think everyone should be as smart as them, (i think more smartass but i don't want to be rude like them).
They are very helpful here...very knowledgeable, so take notes and take your time.
you've been waiting 4 plus years so learn from the best on here.
Dont rush it.....your in good hands now.

Start off with the one Rolex you want...only one...it show your not a flipper...right off the bat.

your in the right path to Rolexville dude....

Take notes and names and you'll get there...
The one Rolex I want is the TT Sub with blue dial.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes many here have said things like, “I don’t mean to be rude, but….” followed by their very rude comment. Lol

It seems to come down to three options.

1). Go grey (the most common response which I will explore….I just don’t know enough to be assured in my own mind that I’ll not get a fake, regardless of so many assurance from the folks on this forum)

2). Switch brands and buy an Omega or something else.

3). Buy a bunch of jewelry I don’t want or need hoping the transaction history will yield a Rolex allocation.

Obviously, I have a decision to make. I’ll explore #1 and #2. I choose not to do #3 as my family is not into jewelry except for watches.
Old 12 September 2023, 01:56 PM   #88
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
My best friend is the owner and CEO (in the process of retiring) of a company he built from scratch over a few decades and that is now valued in the mid 8 figures. Yet I own a Rolex Sub my wife bought for me as a walk-in in Waikiki in 2005 and at a sight discount, but my friend has had no luck acquiring a Rolex, and I have but a fraction of his net worth. Yet he owns houses in multiple states at which he keeps luxury cars, and he and his wife spend a couple of months in Europe each year. His career was not in retail, and he's got no experience buying high end watches. I'm working with an AD to acquire a second Rolex, and have a commitment, such that I've got one for each son when I'm gone, yet my friend has not been able to get a commitment as of yet. Sometimes it's not how much you have.
Exactly. My career was in manufacturing. I was blown away to learn how the Rolex customer experience works.
Old 12 September 2023, 02:01 PM   #89
FinanceProf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
This is entirely false. I bought a Submariner at a discount, about 8 years ago, from one of the trusted sellers here. I bought another from an AD, at a discount, during the same time frame. Demand was lower, than it has been for the last 4-5 years. The grey market prices are starting to come down, finally, and are getting closer to MSRP. The grey dealers are not the problem. Whoever is buying new, and flipping to the grey dealers, are the problem. The Grey Sellers are just smart businessmen. If you have the money, and really want the watch, there is nothing wrong with going grey….

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Although, if what I’ve read is correct, much of the grey dealer supply is coming out the back doors of ADs. If so, that’s a problem.
Old 12 September 2023, 05:44 PM   #90
ol' Rex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
The one Rolex I want is the TT Sub with blue dial.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes many here have said things like, “I don’t mean to be rude, but….” followed by their very rude comment. Lol

It seems to come down to three options.

1). Go grey (the most common response which I will explore….I just don’t know enough to be assured in my own mind that I’ll not get a fake, regardless of so many assurance from the folks on this forum)

2). Switch brands and buy an Omega or something else.

3). Buy a bunch of jewelry I don’t want or need hoping the transaction history will yield a Rolex allocation.

Obviously, I have a decision to make. I’ll explore #1 and #2. I choose not to do #3 as my family is not into jewelry except for watches.
There is a fourth option, and it may be the best one for you:

Buy your Rolex from an authorized dealer through the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

By doing this you are guaranteed that the watch is genuine, and at the same time you will be establishing a purchase-history with an authorized dealer which will in turn make it easier to acquire further watches at retail.

https://www.rolex.com/de/buying-a-ro...fied-pre-owned

Good luck!