The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2023, 05:34 PM   #61
Wssszsss
"TRF" Member

Send it back, it’s not normal, or send to RSC, they will tell you everything
Wssszsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 06:52 PM   #62
rolexgs
Banned

the watch has been opened and the hands tempered with, ask for a full refund from the grey dealer.
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:14 PM   #63
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Dirty hands?! is this normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
No mention of the watch having been polished, anywhere in this thread, and you can polish a watch, without opening it.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

True he didn’t mention if it was polished. But he also may not know if it was polished and just about every watch sold by grey that is not advertised as BNIB has been polished. They call it “retail ready.”

And we know his watch was opened because the hands were tampered with.

It’s not discussed often on here but RSC can and does often decline work under warranty if they say the watch was opened. So you are wrong to give him such strong assurance that RSC will honor the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:18 PM   #64
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
the watch has been opened and the hands tempered with, ask for a full refund from the grey dealer.

I agree with this.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:36 PM   #65
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Have then give you the hands they ordered. Take them to a reputable watch repair shop and have them do the swap.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:46 PM   #66
rolexgs
Banned

that's exactly why I always say buy the CPO watches from AD for peace of mind. even reputable grey dealers would sell you fake or defective watches and refuse to refund to customers.
Old 9 July 2023, 11:04 PM   #67
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
hey guys i ordered a loupe off amazon, while i wait for monday to roll round lol

Im no expert but I inspected the DJ and everything looks kosher, super clean.

I was able to inspect the hands closely and it's apparent that the markings are scratches not smudges, and you can even see what appears to be parallel markings on either sides of the hands as if a pair of tweezer/tool has been used.

So i'm pretty certain the thing is real, and after looking up the serial its not a dial switch, but for some unknown reason these clowns have opened up the front of the watch and tampered with the hands..........

What would your speculative opinions be for the reason a dealer would do this ?
LewisDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 11:08 PM   #68
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisDouglas View Post
hey guys i ordered a loupe off amazon, while i wait for monday to roll round lol

I was able to inspect the hands closely and it's apparent that the markings are scratches not smudges, and you can even see what appears to be parallel markings on either sides of the hands as if a pair of tweezer/tool has been used.

So i'm pretty certain the thing is real, and after looking up the serial its not a dial switch, but for some unknown reason these clowns have opened up the front of the watch and tampered with the hands..........

I told you. The watch probably has been part of a dial swap- whether the correct dial is on the watch now, who knows.
But there's no other reason to take the hands off the watch, than to remove the dial/movement.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 11:17 PM   #69
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
I told you. The watch probably has been part of a dial swap- whether the correct dial is on the watch now, who knows.
But there's no other reason to take the hands off the watch, than to remove the dial/movement.
Yep, your suggestions have been really helpful bro, they could have just swapped hands for another customer who complained about the same thing.

Like you said, Who Knows.

This is my first Rolex, I've only watch i've ever owned before this was an apple watch.

I was extremely excited to get my first rolex so wanted to skip the queue and went grey.

-Now I've got my rolex, I think it'll be easier to wait for that call from the AD.

(But needless to say, I won't go grey ever again it's not worth this BS)
Old 9 July 2023, 11:27 PM   #70
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:

take the watch back to the grey dealer and ask for a refund, what are you waiting for?
Old 9 July 2023, 11:28 PM   #71
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
take the watch back to the grey dealer and ask for a refund, what are you waiting for?
Until Monday. It’s Sunday today, they are closed
Old 9 July 2023, 11:35 PM   #72
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Until Monday. It’s Sunday today, they are closed
ok, wish you all the best!
Old 9 July 2023, 11:36 PM   #73
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I think one thing you can say to them is that this thread with nearly 3000 views in the space of 24h mentions Trotters jewellers, and there is a big market of Rolex buyers here who will see how they handle this.
Old 9 July 2023, 11:37 PM   #74
Osmin
"TRF" Member

How old is the watch?
If they decline to give you the money back, ask them about the Rolex Warrenty which is 5 years. But in this case voided, as I wrote earlier.
Try to get rid of the watch, you will not get happy with it
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 01:02 AM   #75
dannyp
Banned

Might also be worth calling RSC to see if someone can tell you whether a black baton dial was original to the watch, based on the serial? Not sure whether or not they will disclose that or not.

Also, it’s impossible to tell who did what to it prior to purchase. If indeed this dealer “sourced” one, it had obviously been in possession of another secondary market dealer for some time - warranty card dated almost 9 months ago.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 01:02 AM   #76
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
that's exactly why I always say buy the CPO watches from AD for peace of mind. even reputable grey dealers would sell you fake or defective watches and refuse to refund to customers.
pretty much any trusted seller that advertises here would have refunded you by now if you had the slightest issue or concern. you wouldn't get a fake buying from a david/takuya/etc and if by some tiny chance they got something defective they would take care of it within the first text message

it's a different story with big grey dealer stores/chains but the answer isn't to go buy CPO which will have a 25-50% premium on top of the existing grey premium. you just gotta buy from the right people. these guys clearly just have poor customer service but like i said, this would never happen with the trusted sellers on here and tons of people would say the same
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 01:06 AM   #77
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Yep, your suggestions have been really helpful bro, they could have just swapped hands for another customer who complained about the same thing.

Like you said, Who Knows.

This is my first Rolex, I've only watch i've ever owned before this was an apple watch.

I was extremely excited to get my first rolex so wanted to skip the queue and went grey.

-Now I've got my rolex, I think it'll be easier to wait for that call from the AD.

(But needless to say, I won't go grey ever again it's not worth this BS)

Who’s the dealer?

Grey is fine. But only from the key sellers here.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 01:10 AM   #78
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
pretty much any trusted seller that advertises here would have refunded you by now if you had the slightest issue or concern. you wouldn't get a fake buying from a david/takuya/etc and if by some tiny chance they got something defective they would take care of it within the first text message

it's a different story with big grey dealer stores/chains but the answer isn't to go buy CPO which will have a 25-50% premium on top of the existing grey premium. you just gotta buy from the right people. these guys clearly just have poor customer service but like i said, this would never happen with the trusted sellers on here and tons of people would say the same
This one also can’t be that hard to get at retail from any AD not playing games for the sake of games. Sure, there will be some wait, but this isn’t a BLRO…
Old 10 July 2023, 03:56 AM   #79
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Who’s the dealer?

Trotters. The name is mentioned multiple times.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 03:57 AM   #80
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
Trotters. The name is mentioned multiple times.

Ah. Thku.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 04:01 AM   #81
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Might also be worth calling RSC to see if someone can tell you whether a black baton dial was original to the watch, based on the serial? Not sure whether or not they will disclose that or not.

Also, it’s impossible to tell who did what to it prior to purchase. If indeed this dealer “sourced” one, it had obviously been in possession of another secondary market dealer for some time - warranty card dated almost 9 months ago.
Is it possible for an AD with RSC status to see that kind of information based on only a serial number? I always wondered what they could see about the watch. I brought in a couple of different watches under warranty and i always brought my card. They only made a paper copy as far as i could see.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2023, 04:01 AM   #82
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Have then give you the hands they ordered. Take them to a reputable watch repair shop and have them do the swap.

I was going to suggest the same, but if Rolex doesn’t do the work, his warranty is voided, which is an argument he could use, with the folks at Trotter’s, to get a refund.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2023, 03:49 AM   #83
harvey
"TRF" Member

…any update?
Old 11 July 2023, 05:58 AM   #84
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I'm interested to see how Trotters Jewellers have dealt with this.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:12 PM   #85
LewisDouglas
"TRF" Member

Refusing Refund, Refusing Exchange.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:20 PM   #86
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
shame on the grey dealer.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:20 PM   #87
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Did you use a credit card? If so, you can always open a dispute. Otherwise, for that amount of money, it could be worth some due diligence as to whether there are any other consumer protection regulations being violated.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:22 PM   #88
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex1982 View Post
Is it possible for an AD with RSC status to see that kind of information based on only a serial number? I always wondered what they could see about the watch. I brought in a couple of different watches under warranty and i always brought my card. They only made a paper copy as far as i could see.
Actually, something just occurred to me: Couldn't any AD get a considerable amount of information by scanning the chip in the warranty card? Not sure how helpful they'd be willing to be, but that might be worth a try.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:32 PM   #89
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Actually, something just occurred to me: Couldn't any AD get a considerable amount of information by scanning the chip in the warranty card? Not sure how helpful they'd be willing to be, but that might be worth a try.
scan the card for what? there is nothing you can do if the grey dealer do not honor their promises.
Old 11 July 2023, 09:53 PM   #90
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Watch does not meet definition of “new in box.” Don’t give them the benefit of the doubt. You got screwed. They may have as well. Either way, refund is the only way to go here.

1) Go to store. Communicating via text is not the way.
2) Speak to owner or most senior person. Demand refund.
3) show this thread. Remind them that the mark of a reputable business is how they handle issues like this. With this many views, that could have an impact.
4) dispute with cc company
5) get attorney friend to write letter
6) in the states we have reporting and oversight organizations like chamber of commerce and better business bureau. Contact UK counterparts and file complaints.
6) evaluate remaining legal options

Begin process asap…

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote