The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 February 2022, 02:02 AM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Use your common sense regarding where and when to wear those expenses timepiece.......

Really depend what kind of society you hang out...... Included location...

I'm an Aquanaut owner and I do agree the rubber strap is great but now days it draw too much attention and it dangerous..... 5167 on rubber are no long a stealth watch........

Now I switching back to bracelet and it become stealth again...... Nobody know what the hell I'm wearing...... They all think it a Michael Kors watch or something.....lol......

Good to have both options....

Rubber for attention grabber.....

&

bracelet for low key......

BTW....... Do people commented my 5167.....?? I notice they look at it and pretend they not looking.... When I look back at them, they give me a dirty look....lol...... There will be haters no matter what....

But, I do had some people that wearing Rolex commented or give compliment on my 5167.....

Funny that wearing on the bracelet is now the stealth move, sounds like when shoeshine boys were talking about stocks right before the crash is about to happen, but we have had this false dawn so many times before now.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 02:49 AM   #62
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Seriously, in Ohio you can find someone who knows what Patek is? Unbelievable. And, isn't it winter in Ohio? Where do you wear short sleeves out in public? If you wear a sweater it will cover your wrists and hide your watch. When you want to display a watch to your friends you can do it discretely.
The people I know in Ohio make very sophisticated equipment for organisations with very very serious budgets and probably have higher pays in their local c level people than many successful bankers in NY or London.

Don’t rely on cheap clichées.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 05:46 AM   #63
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I will confess that at half 1/4 the current prices, I would have the mentality of wear what you want, just be mindful of surroundings. At 1/2, I think about it a lot more, but still wear. At current prices...I begin to feel uncomfortable any time I'm in a place where the value of the watch is the same as the median home price, even if it's a nice and safe place. Like saying who picks up a 50 euro note from the ground? Maybe most will leave there for owner to return. But what if it were a stack of 500 euro notes? It is tempting even the good and proper people.

To those that are not concerned, I am curious if you will still feel that way if prices doubled again? And if so, I commend your good fortune and absence of paranoia.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:02 AM   #64
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Sadly, my 5711 is now tucked away in a safe place along with the other ridiculously priced watches I bought at MSRP.

My daily (affordable) wearers in rotation consist of:

- Rolex Submariner 16610
- Explorer Mk1
- Milgauss black dial
- Tudor Submariner blue dial/ bezel
- Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Date
- IWC IW3508 Andreas Huber
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:04 AM   #65
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

I wore the PP 3970er on subways in the USA, Europe, etc. Lent it to a friend to wear during a luxury audio show too. Wear and enjoy, and lend it to a friend or two so they can enjoy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 07:51 AM   #66
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
The people I know in Ohio make very sophisticated equipment for organisations with very very serious budgets and probably have higher pays in their local c level people than many successful bankers in NY or London.

Don’t rely on cheap clichées.
I understand that your thing is being didactic but your polemic is somewhat late to the game. I'm certain that you read my mea culpa before posting this but insisted on plowing ahead with your C-Suite wisdom.

Last edited by cascavel; 9 February 2022 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 08:03 AM   #67
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
I will confess that at half 1/4 the current prices, I would have the mentality of wear what you want, just be mindful of surroundings. At 1/2, I think about it a lot more, but still wear. At current prices...I begin to feel uncomfortable any time I'm in a place where the value of the watch is the same as the median home price, even if it's a nice and safe place. Like saying who picks up a 50 euro note from the ground? Maybe most will leave there for owner to return. But what if it were a stack of 500 euro notes? It is tempting even the good and proper people.

To those that are not concerned, I am curious if you will still feel that way if prices doubled again? And if so, I commend your good fortune and absence of paranoia.
How many calculations are involved in this formula? Do you really know the median value of the homes in all the neighborhoods you traverse? Do you think that the people in those neighborhoods keep up with the daily fluctuations in the price of Patek Philippe watches, know what watch you're wearing and, based on it's value then decide whether or not it's worth wasting you for your watch?
Old 9 February 2022, 09:05 AM   #68
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
I wore the PP 3970er on subways in the USA, Europe, etc. Lent it to a friend to wear during a luxury audio show too. Wear and enjoy, and lend it to a friend or two so they can enjoy
I used to wear my 5712 everywhere and anywhere, a few years ago when it wasn't popular. No more!
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 04:02 PM   #69
nickorette
"TRF" Member

I think it depends on the time and place. If going somewhere fancy in the city no problem. But if I was traveling, probably not. Although most often people don't notice the timepieces I'm wearing.
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 04:52 PM   #70
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I think I would be more uncomfortable if Nautiluses dropped 75% in value
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 05:57 PM   #71
qrc36
"TRF" Member

I've been following this thread and lots of great points raised. I live in Hong Kong and feel totally comfortable wearing an expensive watch and using an expensive bag walking around without any fear of being robbed.

Unfortunately, wearing a Nautlius/Aquanaut can now have negative connotations and send the wrong signal. A client may see my watch and think "you must be charging your clients too much" - not the best signal to send someone. The increased awareness of Patek and the overly high secondary market prices have definitely been a bad thing for me.

So I tend to choose watches that are not instantly recognizable (my rotation includes a Zenith Defy skeleton in a rubber strap and a VC Fifty-six in steel) and not excessively priced.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2022, 06:03 PM   #72
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrc36 View Post
I've been following this thread and lots of great points raised. I live in Hong Kong and feel totally comfortable wearing an expensive watch and using an expensive bag walking around without any fear of being robbed.

Unfortunately, wearing a Nautlius/Aquanaut can now have negative connotations and send the wrong signal. A client may see my watch and think "you must be charging your clients too much" - not the best signal to send someone. The increased awareness of Patek and the overly high secondary market prices have definitely been a bad thing for me.

So I tend to choose watches that are not instantly recognizable (my rotation includes a Zenith Defy skeleton in a rubber strap and a VC Fifty-six in steel) and not excessively priced.
on the contrary, I'd think you were good at your job and you have a good eye for watch investments if i were your client.

honestly, most people don't have a clue about luxury watches and 98% of the people only know Rolex. A gold Rolex is still very much louder than any Aquanaut, even if that Aquanaut can be worth 3x more.
Old 9 February 2022, 11:34 PM   #73
Jlamb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
on the contrary, I'd think you were good at your job and you have a good eye for watch investments if i were your client.

honestly, most people don't have a clue about luxury watches and 98% of the people only know Rolex. A gold Rolex is still very much louder than any Aquanaut, even if that Aquanaut can be worth 3x more.
Funny you mentioned this, I have been rotating between a 5164A and a RG YM40 as my daily. Went to a fair few meetings and no one has picked up on them so far, apart from a fellow watch nerd. I feel like most people didn't even realise the YM is a Rolex, especially with the rubber straps and the overall design. But people in general do recognise Rolexes a lot more for sure, especially the SS or gold ones.

I am a lot more careful about the 5164A now, and wear it far less. As it is a much harder watch to replace and I have not figured out how to get insurance for it in HK. I know the risk is extremely small, but still...

I am now considering a 7234 as I really love the travel time function.
Jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 06:11 AM   #74
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlamb View Post
Funny you mentioned this, I have been rotating between a 5164A and a RG YM40 as my daily. Went to a fair few meetings and no one has picked up on them so far, apart from a fellow watch nerd. I feel like most people didn't even realise the YM is a Rolex, especially with the rubber straps and the overall design. But people in general do recognise Rolexes a lot more for sure, especially the SS or gold ones.

I am a lot more careful about the 5164A now, and wear it far less. As it is a much harder watch to replace and I have not figured out how to get insurance for it in HK. I know the risk is extremely small, but still...

I am now considering a 7234 as I really love the travel time function.
Interesting... for the last 6 months I've been alternating between a grey YM40, and a 5167A. I also have a pilot travel time, but the 5524r, and we happen to be from the same town...
Old 10 February 2022, 07:05 AM   #75
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
How many calculations are involved in this formula? Do you really know the median value of the homes in all the neighborhoods you traverse? Do you think that the people in those neighborhoods keep up with the daily fluctuations in the price of Patek Philippe watches, know what watch you're wearing and, based on it's value then decide whether or not it's worth wasting you for your watch?
Sorry for not being clear. I was trying to convey that when the watch was 50k usd, I had your mindset. I wear what I want. When the watch was 100k, I thought about it a moment, then decided F it, I wear what I want. But at 200k plus, I will confess the watches at that price level no longer travel with me and the Speedy comes out for the trip.

I wish I didn’t feel irrationally that way, but I do now.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 09:26 AM   #76
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
wear your watch , be careful
and who else cares
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 09:33 AM   #77
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Look up, it's not the mayor's fault, we've had 10 years of "austerity" caused by unsuccessful gambling in the financial sector.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...lice-services/

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 10:35 AM   #78
zhangster
"TRF" Member

Watch: guess
I don't wear my 5712 much any more due to the market. But it's the only Patek I have and I don't know what PP I would want as its replacement.

Too expensive to wear. Too precious to trade away.
zhangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 10:58 AM   #79
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangster View Post
I don't wear my 5712 much any more due to the market. But it's the only Patek I have and I don't know what PP I would want as its replacement.

Too expensive to wear. Too precious to trade away.

Trade towards a 5270p
Old 10 February 2022, 11:45 AM   #80
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Trade towards a 5270p
I often see lots of similar comments on these threads. I’m sure those who are passionate about movements will see this as a fantastic trade, but for the rest of us, case and bracelet design arguably matter more.

In that respect, is the 5270p or any other dress watch really a substitute for a Nautilus? If my only Patek was a Nautilus I would only ever add a Patek dress piece, not replace.
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 12:51 PM   #81
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewitte View Post
Hi TRF --

Bit of an odd question - any other Nautilus owners uncomfortable with the sky-high second-hand market price these days? And moreover, the image you portray when wearing it?

I originally bought my 5711 blue dial 7-years ago before the craze. Back then it was understated and refined: made of steel, time only, very simple. No one would notice it, except perhaps other true watch fans who it was fun to strike up conversations with. The watch was also relatively affordable. At $21k I think it was amongst the cheaper Patek models you could buy. It didn't scream extreme wealth.

Fast forward to today and the hype and pricing is beyond ridiculous. People stop and notice it all the time and act in awe, which makes me uncomfortable. More than that, the price of the watch now has become a problem. It doesn't give me pleasure walking around with $150k strapped to my wrist. When people recognise it the watch screams 'new money' or 'déclassé', presenting me as someone who is into the hype and instagram and posing and flaunting money. The exact opposite of my initial intention when buying the watch.

It's just not fun anymore.

Now to be clear, this watch was a gift for my wedding. It has tons of sentimental value such that I would never sell it. But the joy of having something that was 'under the radar' which formed a bond with other watch lovers has been lost. Instead its become a gaudy piece of materialism and 'showing off' - none of which I ever wanted to do. It means I wear it significantly less now, often only around friends. I have a couple of other watches which 'exploded' in the same way and I have a similar distaste for what has happened with them as well. Instead my eye is moving towards independent boutique watch makers no one has ever heard of, in the hope I can fly under the radar again.

Curious if others feel the same way. I am looking forward to 10-15 years from now when I will still love what the watch means to me, as well as the design, and hope the hype will have died down and moved onto something else, so that I can just enjoy it without drama.

Attachment 1271959
I definitely wish I had bought some watches I was "considering" years ago, then. And now I wear some pieces less willingly due to the hype. I don't want my watch to be noticed, except by watch lovers
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 01:55 PM   #82
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenlover View Post
I often see lots of similar comments on these threads. I’m sure those who are passionate about movements will see this as a fantastic trade, but for the rest of us, case and bracelet design arguably matter more.

In that respect, is the 5270p or any other dress watch really a substitute for a Nautilus? If my only Patek was a Nautilus I would only ever add a Patek dress piece, not replace.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Being a 5712 owner, I'm in the same boat. You can't discount the versatility of a sports watch.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 10 February 2022, 02:49 PM   #83
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp98 View Post
I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Being a 5712 owner, I'm in the same boat. You can't discount the versatility of a sports watch.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenlover View Post

With the market valuing the 5711 and 5712 at $150k - $200k, it just makes them ludicrously overvalued. I would much rather have a 5270p and a 16710 (a cool sports watch that is extremely versatile), and both are less noticeable and easier to wear.

And I love the 5712/1a, it is a great watch.
Old 10 February 2022, 11:09 PM   #84
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Fear not, despite the police being defunded by HM Govt for the past decade, the mayor of London has now put the police commissioner "on notice".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-60318258
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2022, 11:44 PM   #85
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Sorry for not being clear. I was trying to convey that when the watch was 50k usd, I had your mindset. I wear what I want. When the watch was 100k, I thought about it a moment, then decided F it, I wear what I want. But at 200k plus, I will confess the watches at that price level no longer travel with me and the Speedy comes out for the trip.

I wish I didn’t feel irrationally that way, but I do now.
I follow what you're saying. Even 5 years ago I wouldn't get on an airplane or a train wearing a Nautilus. Just too much jostling, sharp metal objects and tight spaces. And now, you don't know if you're going to have to join a posse of passengers subduing a family of hostile anti-maskers. A Rolex Submariner or, better yet, a Deep Sea, is more suitable. Something with heft, the equivalent of wearing a Tiger Tank on your wrist. Or a Panerai, something you wouldn't mind destroying in self defense.
I hope you can settle out what to do about your Nautilus.
Old 11 February 2022, 01:41 AM   #86
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I used to wear my 5712 everywhere and anywhere, a few years ago when it wasn't popular.
Keep wearing it :)

-------------

To others, all these 'safe deposit box' queens are worthless if you don't wear and enjoy IMHO. At the rate politicians are going nowadays, there might not be a Next Generation (just joking, maybe).

Wear, share with friends and let them wear it too... and enjoy
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 03:50 AM   #87
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
I do frequently hear the advice to trade up to a 5270p but I don’t think that a 5711 could be traded for one . More would be needed. Am I wrong? Since the 5270p has been discontinued, has anybody done a straight up trade, or know of one?
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 04:23 AM   #88
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I wear all my watches any place I'm willing to take my (more precious?) body. If I didn't feel that way, they would be sold.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 05:13 AM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
I do frequently hear the advice to trade up to a 5270p but I don’t think that a 5711 could be traded for one . More would be needed. Am I wrong? Since the 5270p has been discontinued, has anybody done a straight up trade, or know of one?
A quick look on chrono24 and the P is £100K over the golds so the P would probably need 50K on top.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2022, 08:15 AM   #90
Silver Bullet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
A quick look on chrono24 and the P is £100K over the golds so the P would probably need 50K on top.

I like how you halved the difference. Chrono24 asking prices are almost useless… but the sentiment stands: you simply can’t trade a 5711 for a 5270p without adding cash or equivalent.
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote