The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Daytona Would You Prefer As A Groom's Wedding Gift?
Brand New 2016 Stainless Steel 116520 Daytona 191 78.60%
Pre-owned, No Warranty, White Gold 116509 Daytona 52 21.40%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 March 2016, 09:43 AM   #61
10Past10
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5712/1A
I have SS Daytona's for sale if you need one - not the Ceramic's but in my eyes the classier Daytona 116520 , the ceramic is nice but too sporty for me! Great gift by the way , amazing present to receive!
10Past10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:07 AM   #62
presario
"TRF" Member

But guys, it's precious metal! I'd get the WG Daytona in a heartbeat.

If the groom is a watch guy, I'm sure he'd definitely appreciate the WG piece. If possible, I'd say get the WG Daytona, get it serviced at RSC so it come back good as new with service papers and warranty.
Old 26 March 2016, 10:15 AM   #63
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.kool View Post
It's weird. If it were any other occasion than a wedding, I would choose the 509. For some reason, I would prefer a new watch for my wedding. New wife, new family, new beginnings........new watch. Seems to make sense
This, definitely.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:17 AM   #64
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Don't buy a used gift for a wedding present. Just not a good fit

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2016, 10:22 AM   #65
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I'd be happy with a new one.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:32 AM   #66
beancooker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster 16623
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

While it's fine for us all to get used watches, a fiancé buying her soon to be husband a used watch is not OK.
This.
beancooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:35 AM   #67
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by presario View Post
But guys, it's precious metal! I'd get the WG Daytona in a heartbeat.

If the groom is a watch guy, I'm sure he'd definitely appreciate the WG piece. If possible, I'd say get the WG Daytona, get it serviced at RSC so it come back good as new with service papers and warranty.
The guy could have a really nice watch with an in service date matching his wedding day, or he could have a 3 year old version of the same watch with someone else's name on it, in white gold - a material that's substantially less durable in day to day use.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:37 AM   #68
g-boac
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the wedding is this fall, would the new ceramic Daytona be an option?
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:58 AM   #69
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I voted preowned gold...
PM, when possible, is great for marking a special occasion. I have said over and over that a watch being "used" does not reduce my enjoyment. I understand were people are coming from because it's a gift, but if my wife bought me a gold Daytona, I would be thrilled used to or not
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:29 AM   #70
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
i voted before really reading. My wife bought me a used Lapis face Day Date for my wedding and it is one of my favorite watches to this day. It means the world to me, I loved it and wanted it and never gave a thought that it was used. I don't think new vs used matters and I would change my vote here if I could. If she's willing..go for a mint WG Daytona.

By the way...my engagement gift from my in laws was a BNIB black SS 116520 so it really was a great year the year I got married!!! :-)
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:38 AM   #71
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Dude. No question.

New.

While it's fine for us all to get used watches, a fiancé buying her soon to be husband a used watch is not OK.

I might even go DJ2, so that he can get himself a DC (DaytonaC) when they come out.

Fits the description of what you were thinking.
Well put Seth
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:46 AM   #72
s14roller
"TRF" Member

At first thought, I think for giving a present it should be new, however, I think it depends on your friend (who you would know best).

If I put myself in his shoes, let's say I was deciding between a SubC and a WG Smurf. I have certainly sold and bought pre-owned pieces before with no issues. With me, if my wife was getting me something, I would hope it would be my dream watch assuming it was LNIB. Complete. I would not care if it was dated a few months ago and had someone else's name. The watch on my wrist is what would matter.

If you're a car person, imagine you dream about a Ferrari 488...your wife can buy you a new fully opted out Porsche turbo or get you a used 488...a few months old with a few thousand miles. Looks like new. What would you prefer to receive?

Both situations it depends if your friend is open to a higher end used watch or needs to have new. There are people that fall in both camps (I prefer nicer, used things).

Either case, she can't go wrong, I would look for the WG Daytona first and if a LNIB example pops up that looks perfect, complete, well-priced, that's what I would go with. A new Daytona wouldn't be as hard to procure and would be my plan B if the other did not show up.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:46 AM   #73
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris333 View Post
It's funny - thinking about it as the giver: unless it's vintage/no longer in production, a gift like that should probably be new.

Thinking about it as the recipient however - I'd have absolutely no issue with used. As at least one other member has said - there's a lot more work/thought involved with hunting/purchasing used too!

Overall, if the preference is for the WG, it's within budget, and it's used, but mint - I'd go with that. :)
I think you are right, a lot depends on if you are the giver or receiver. I try to think of what the person feels in getting it, not of me giving it.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:52 AM   #74
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I voted preowned gold...
PM, when possible, is great for marking a special occasion. I have said over and over that a watch being "used" does not reduce my enjoyment. I understand were people are coming from because it's a gift, but if my wife bought me a gold Daytona, I would be thrilled used to or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonaman799 View Post
i voted before really reading. My wife bought me a used Lapis face Day Date for my wedding and it is one of my favorite watches to this day. It means the world to me, I loved it and wanted it and never gave a thought that it was used. I don't think new vs used matters and I would change my vote here if I could. If she's willing..go for a mint WG Daytona.

By the way...my engagement gift from my in laws was a BNIB black SS 116520 so it really was a great year the year I got married!!! :-)

I think about your friend's wife saying to him that she and you had searched long and hard trying to make his dream come true. He thought it would be impossible, you guys were able to make it happen somehow. I doubt he would care what the warranty card said...a dream watch is a dream watch.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 12:25 PM   #75
vitalsignsrn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 - 14060M
I voted to buy the white gold one. You said that he makes jokes about it & never thinks he would ever own one. If he got the SS version, having always wanted the gold one, he may feel like he's missed his opportunity to one day have a gold Daytona, even if it was 20yrs from now. From what you've said about your friend, the love for the Daytona hasn't wavered in 10yrs. He would probably hold his new wife in high esteem for going that extra mile for the watch of his dreams. I agree with Neil that I would (& I always do) base my decisions re:what I buy & what I spend, on what I feel the person receiving the gift would want. I never buy something for the sake of just buying it. Often this makes me go over budget but the recipient has always been very grateful.

I buy pre-owned jewelry when I can so there are ways to save a buck or 2 & get what you desire. And yes, there are a lot of practical women out there that do this very thing! I usually buy from known & trusted sources.

As for "new" diamonds, you don't know your diamond is new. Many vendors offer trade up policies. "Used" stones can be polished, sent back to the lab, new cert # engraved on the stone & voila...a "new" diamond.

vitalsignsrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 12:31 PM   #76
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Is it a surprise? If it's not flat out ask him. If his grail is wg then ask if he has a problem with preowned. I know I wouldn't but everyone is different.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 12:43 PM   #77
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
If you were considering a vintage watch, then pre-owned would be fine. Otherwise, go new.

Also, it's better to not stretch the bride's budget.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 01:23 PM   #78
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
I'm guessing he'd prefer the WG. Did he buy his current Rolex new or used? If used them I'd definately go with the WG Daytona.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 06:25 PM   #79
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Is there a way to ask him without giving the game away?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 06:36 PM   #80
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2jag View Post
ss would be my choice because it's new and unused....if 2nd marriage then a used WG would be fitting.....
WTH?? So......He only deserves 'used' for a 2nd marriage since he is used?? I just don't get this line of thinking at all.

I think what you have to consider is that he already owns a BLNR. A SS Daytona isn't really a 'step-up' to many people. Now, a WG Daytona is absolutely a gift to befit someone that already owns Rolex watches. I would personally be excited as hell if I got a WG Daytona as a gift from my bride as a wedding gift.......pre-owned wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 06:39 PM   #81
cdbeaver66
"TRF" Member

New marriage > new watch
1. Breitling Colt Chronograph 2. Melbourne Watch Company Portsea 3. Tudor Black Bay ETA Blue 4.Rolex GMT Master IIc LN 5. Tudor Heritage Ranger 6. Tudor Pelagos LHD 7. Tudor Black Bay Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition 8. Tudor Black Bay GMT 9. Tudor Black Bay Harrods

Instagram: mykicksandticks
cdbeaver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:27 PM   #82
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

In this particular case, brand new is the only way to go.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:32 PM   #83
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'd vote for the brand new Stainless Daytona. White or Black dial, whichever you think he'd like. Probably White, for contrast with his other watch.

Frankly, I'd try to get that new Ceramic Daytona. White dial--why? I've got the SS White Dial and the silver outer rings around the sub dials are hard to read, in all but overcast lighting, making the chronograph difficult to use readily. The new Ceramic Daytona with the white dial has black outer rings around the subdials. Those should not reflect light the way the silver outer rings would on either the older SS Daytonas and the Black Dial Ceramic Daytona. So, I think the chronograph will be easier to use on the White Dial Ceramic.

Of course, availability will be a challenge.

From the sound of it, the bride is looking for a dressier watch. Perhaps the current SS Daytona, with white dial, has the dressiest appearance of all the SS Daytona variants. It's a dress/sports watch, as opposed to a sports/dress watch. So, if the bride's taste is a big factor, then go for the white dial SS Daytona. Perhaps they'll be easier to come by now, with a lot of people waiting on the ceramic models.

In any event, I'd definitely recommend a new watch over a used watch for a wedding gift.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 07:45 PM   #84
alika
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
It doesn't make a HUGE difference if its used or not imo.
alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:03 PM   #85
oyster1
"TRF" Member

New - has to be new, Don't even contemplate pre-owned (in this situation) !
oyster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 08:05 PM   #86
kopykopy
"TRF" Member

Brand New SS Daytona for a wedding gift. Plus it will be still within her budget. And make no mistake, the 116520 does not live in the shadow of the coming Ceramic Daytona.
(this point the OP stated as a con of buying the new 116520)
kopykopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 09:29 PM   #87
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster1 View Post
New - has to be new, Don't even contemplate pre-owned (in this situation) !
This. 100%
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 09:31 PM   #88
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
New watch for a new chapter in his life.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 09:42 PM   #89
dddl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What?
As a wedding gift; NEW period.
dddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 12:07 PM   #90
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Which Daytona for Groom's Gift?

Brand New 2016 Stainless Steel 116520 Daytona. Freakin Awesome Gift too!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote