The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2024, 07:59 PM   #61
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

That's a beauty. Congratulations. The experience is twice as good when you buy it from a good seller.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 08:58 PM   #62
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Big congrats!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 09:21 PM   #63
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Outstanding incoming! Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 10:07 PM   #64
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Amazing pickup! I almost bought my Sub Date from Takuya, very easy guy to work with.

I'm interested in your decision to chose the jubilee bracelet over the oyster. I've tried on the BLNR on jubliee a few times and in jewelry light it seemed a bit busy.

Do you feel that business is mitigated in natural light and blends in with the watch? I'm really interested in this piece as my second Rolex to go alongside my Sub Date.

The brushed monochromatic Sub against the shiny BLNR I think would be an awesome 1-2 punch.
I am going to try to give some logic on why the Rolex Jubilee works or at least my observations in the design. When you take enough photos of watches you really start to see why some watches always look good in about any lighting.

Most watch pics are from strait on giving a one dimensional viewpoint. That is not really how it works in real life with a watch on the wrist. Most times a watch is viewed from an angle or a side glance to the owner and almost always to anyone else sneaking a wrist glance. This is where Rolex is the master of design in creating a visual effect. Much like the fluted bezel of a DD that has its teeth cut on an angle to reflect light from different sources, the GMT bezel and jubilee is designed to do the same thing. Study how Rolex polishes a jubilee inner bracelet link and you will see the sides as well as the top is perfectly polished. This is then flanked by a brushed top outer link followed by a polished outside. This is a very optimal design to reflect light from any angle. Even more impressive is the bushed top outer links are there to contrast this multi angle polishing. This is a masterful design with the details. Without that you get a bling mess like many Breitling bracelets where the entire link is polished and without any hard angles or contrasting finishes. Then Rolex scallops the outer bezel teeth not only for greater grip but using the same contrasting theme by a satin inner bevel and polished top radiating out to a sharp edge and then polished over the sides. This is exactly what the jubilee bracelet is doing. It’s a subtle design to maximize light reflection and contrast from different angles. You get a very dramatic and flashy light show but without looking like you are trying by wearing a all polished bracelet. It is a masterpiece in design and why it has remained so appealing with most owners not knowing exactly why they like it. Also, the raised crystal with the sharp edge is there to contribute to the contrasting light reflections. Certainly Rolex could easily make their crystals flush with the bezel and a soft round edge, apply outer AR, etc…but then that would ruin the magic within their theme of the watch.

This entire watch from colors to metal is a design in contrast and reflection.

Old 13 January 2024, 10:14 PM   #65
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Jubilee is my favourite bracelet to wear. It makes the watch disappear on the wrist.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:24 PM   #66
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Great pictures. Congratulations and enjoy in good health The BLNR is the only watch I let go that I miss.
Old 13 January 2024, 11:31 PM   #67
Lawlex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
New GMT decision made! A old fashion “TRF Open Box”.

Congrats and great point of view with amazing pictures !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lawlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:42 PM   #68
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Those pics
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 11:44 PM   #69
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

YES! Enjoy
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 12:07 AM   #70
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Sold my BLNR after acquiring a BLRO. After seeing your pics I kinda regret it but in the long run happy with my decision. Agree on jubilee. My BLRO gets worked hard in the cockpit and looks new.
Jubilee is so comfortable! Congrats and wear in great health!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 12:08 AM   #71
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

thats excellent
Philadelphialawyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 12:10 AM   #72
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 03:44 AM   #73
john333

Awesome pictures, huge congrats!
john333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 05:16 AM   #74
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Mystro - I know exactly what you mean by Rolex's design and light play, the first thing I noticed with my Sub Date vs. the BB58 was the scallop edges reflecting light and creating this awesome aura effect.

I need to get a jubilee in natural light and see how it plays. I'm a sucker for shiny light catching things like ceramic and polish so this would be right up my alley.
Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 05:56 AM   #75
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Thanks so much everyone. A watch collection is a journey.

I will answer a few questions as to why I did what I did.
I foolishly let my original BLNR go for another watch BUT in my defense my collection was different then.
The sum of my collection now is at a different place so the watches had to evolve for their proper roll.
I have a PCL in my white Daytona so my GMT had to be In Jubilee for the BLNR. I prefer the PCL on the BLRO and Jubilee for the BLNR. It has to do with the colors I think? I adore the way the jubilee end link transitions into the case and bezel teeth. Not ashamed to say it but there was a sparkling “bling factor” that I was misssing in my sports watch and the jubilee/GMT delivers without looking like I am trying too hard.

I also lost some more weight do to a change in diet because of my daughters diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. (Tough lifestyle change for a teen). The benefit is we all eat healthier and lower carbs. I wanted a smaller clasp like my Daytona and the GMT on Jubilee delivers the lightest and smallest bracelet/clasp footprint on the wrist. It is noticeably lighter than the 12 series Sub. I danced around that question on the forum for months now in how watches wear on the wrist. The Daytona will always be THE most comfortable watch in the Rolex catalog for me as it is case and case back is designed thinner than any other model.

Here are a few pics of my last BLNR at WDW and it was a joy to wear the entire time. This was real world ownership that made a huge influence in needing a BLNR/Jubilee back in my life.

Sorry to hear about your daughter’s diagnosis. That is a tough break, for a teen. Hopefully, she is adjusting well. As for the watch, I wish Rolex would make a 37 mm version, of the GMTs and the Subs.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 06:14 AM   #76
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

Congratulations and a great decision/choice.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 06:16 AM   #77
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Looks great! Your shots always make watches look at their very best!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 06:22 AM   #78
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Beautiful, I have always like the blue black bezel on those and they go w any color your wearing as a daily attire. My personal preference is oyster for BLNR & jubilee for BLRO.
Old 14 January 2024, 07:40 PM   #79
Qiwijack
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Datejust
Congrats and nice post!
Qiwijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 08:00 PM   #80
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
May I ask why you sold the original BLNR. Was it to buy the BLRO or another watch?
Interesting question.
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 10:01 PM   #81
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Beautiful. Got mine in the summer. I agree that the jubilee works best with it. When I think of vintage GMTs the jubilee versions are always what I picture. I think that influences me as much as anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 04:40 AM   #82
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
Sorry to hear about your daughter’s diagnosis. That is a tough break, for a teen. Hopefully, she is adjusting well. As for the watch, I wish Rolex would make a 37 mm version, of the GMTs and the Subs.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Kat, huge adjustment but she is strong and determined to not let it slow her down. It just makes them have to grow up too fast. She wanted to go into premed before this, and this only inspired her even more. Advanced classes and still honor roll.
Regardless how old they are, as a parent they are always your baby girl aren’t they?….

Old 15 January 2024, 04:53 AM   #83
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Interesting question.
Back story why I traded my last BLNR:
That was when the Rolex market started to take off pre-Covid and I saw a chance to trade for another Rolex on a great deal. It was a good chance to experience another Rolex watch at the time but sometimes a watch looks better on others than it does on your own wrist. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone but playing it too safe might limit you from another watch experience. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

This is the first watch I’ve ever repurchased, so I hope I am still pretty good at gauging what works for me.
Old 15 January 2024, 04:53 AM   #84
ryansoulsit

Looks so cool! Love it!
Old 15 January 2024, 04:59 AM   #85
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Back story why I traded my last BLNR:
That was when the Rolex market started to take off pre-Covid and I saw a chance to trade for another Rolex on a great deal. It was a good chance to experience another Rolex watch at the time but sometimes a watch looks better on others than it does on your own wrist. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone but playing it too safe might limit you from another watch experience. You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

This is the first watch I’ve ever repurchased, so I hope I am still pretty good at gauging what works for me.
Thanks for your detailed explanations.
Enjoy your new watch!

Remember 53 degrees, just kidding, could not resist ;-)
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:00 AM   #86
learnmids
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Congratulations.
learnmids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:05 AM   #87
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
(Horrible winter lighting but a few wrist pics had to happen.)
On the contrary, Mystro, I personally feel that these outdoor photos (with the beautiful trees in the background) are absolutely superb. The neutral light perfectly, accurately, and expertly portray the beautiful colors of the GMT BLNR. Congrats on acquiring the watch!
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 05:21 AM   #88
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Nashville View Post
On the contrary, Mystro, I personally feel that these outdoor photos (with the beautiful trees in the background) are absolutely superb. The neutral light perfectly, accurately, and expertly portray the beautiful colors of the GMT BLNR. Congrats on acquiring the watch!

Thanks so much, but if it wasn’t 50mph winds and -0 windchill, I’d be out there in the sun today taking watch pics. 1st day of any new watch, I take a bunch of reference pics for insurance and for my own macro viewing and inspecting the watch but that day was so overcast and too much white sky and drizzle. I guarantee I’ll be getting some great sunny snow pics soon.

I have said it before but…TRF is so gracious and kind that it inspires me to keep creating new content and information. Maybe a new twist on something or pics I haven’t done over the last decade. To always make TRF better and fun for new and senior members.

Old 15 January 2024, 06:33 AM   #89
Oldfellow

Quote:
Thanks so much, but if it wasn’t 50mph winds and -0 windchill, I’d be out there in the sun today taking watch pics. 1st day of any new watch, I take a bunch of reference pics for insurance and for my own macro viewing and inspecting the watch but that day was so overcast and too much white sky and drizzle. I guarantee I’ll be getting some great sunny snow pics soon.

I have said it before but…TRF is so gracious and kind that it inspires me to keep creating new content and information. Maybe a new twist on something or pics I haven’t done over the last decade. To always make TRF better and fun for new and senior members.

MYSTRO, I have learnt so much from your contributions over the years.
A big “thank you”, and keep up the excellent work.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 09:01 AM   #90
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Way to do it! Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote