The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2009, 11:30 PM   #61
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
so i could be a real member of this forum.
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 11:42 PM   #62
Carlos98326194
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing YOU!
For my first Rolex....
It's actually a combination of a lot of things that happen.....
Got promoted and allowed to join the big boys club..
Like to OP.. also just got recovered from an operation..
Its a birthday gift to myself as well...

So all points to ROLEX and nothing but a ROLEX !!!
Old 13 November 2009, 12:43 AM   #63
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince211 View Post
My grandfather gave me my first watch when I was 7. It meant the world to me. He sparked a hobby for life in me. Always wanted a rolex as my grail. I always noticed them on other gentlemen. I obtained two business cards when I was 13 - one from a salesguy at the local Porsche dealer in Los Angeles (just like the commercial from a few years back where the little kid goes into the dealership, gets a business card, and tells the guy he'll back in 10 years), and one business card from a Rolex AD in Northridge, CA.

I used those business cards as motivation for years. Made good on the rolex dream a few months ago - and think of my grandfather and the risks and courage he took coming to this amazing country every time I look at my GMT. My watch is like a time capsule, everytime I look at it - I can recall certain special memories of my life. I knew this when buying it; sort of wear it in memory of my grandfather and feel like through the watch he vicariously experiences the highs in my life in America too.

Someday I'll do the Porsche thing too.

Thanks for reading!

Vince.
You have to do the Porsche thing . Nothing else like driving a Porsche with the top down on a nice day!!! Trust me
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 12:46 AM   #64
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysd43 View Post
I'll be purchasing my first Rolex on my 40th birthday which is in October of 2010! I've been saving a c-note a week, every week since the beginning of this year. Hopefully it will make turning 40 suck less.
I turned 40 last year ........ It sucks!!
Old 13 November 2009, 12:50 AM   #65
Wooddog44
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date, TT DJ
My Father

My Father for two reasons.

1. He always had, and passed on to my brothers and me, an appreciation for precision equipment and technologies. Along with that appreciation he taught us the importance of maintaining those things to maximize performance. He had a particular affinity for watches and owned many brands including Rolex.

2. He went to work one day, found himself in the middle of a bad situation, took a bullet in the neck and never came home again. As the oldest I was given at the hospital the plastic bag containing his blood stained clothes...the last clothes that he ever put on for the last time that he ever walked out of his own home. As I looked at the clothes in that bag it occurred to me that we all, in one way or another, take "tomorrow" for granted without ever sparing a thought that it really isn't granted for any of us. The idea that he was putting those clothes on, an act as simple as dressing himself, for the last time would never have crossed his mind yet that is in fact what happened. It made me think that if there is something, anything, that you really want, do it because you just never know. I try to have that attitude about the things I do each day - my job, my friends, family,etc...- as a way of honoring his memory not in reckless or frivolous manner but in not basing my life on making all kinds of plans for "later" but trying to live more for now.

A Sub Date was something that I always wanted and, along with the above story, my wife knew that. When we got married we used money that both had saved for "things" to buy a house but she told me that for our fifth anniversary she would get me the watch that I am wearing at this moment. She gave it to me a little over a year ago and except for three weeks being serviced it has been on my wrist everyday since. Each time I look at it I'm reminded of my wife and father and how much they both mean, and meant, to me.
Wooddog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 12:57 AM   #66
Wink

I purchased my first Rolex after my youngest child graduated from college debt-free and I finished paying off my home mortgage. Both events were like receiving a substantial raise.

Wink
Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 01:53 AM   #67
BealeAss
"TRF" Member

My story starts with family as well. My grandfather was a man who prided himself in having nice things and taking care of those things. Being of the gold watch generation I ended up inheriting a few beautiful things from him when he passed, a new 3 series and a couple of older watches. The BMW lit a flame on an already bad car obsession and I ended up trading that for my dream car a few years after, an M3.

During M3 ownership I became close with a group of guys who all owned BMW's and happened to be very into their watches as well. Guys had everything from Zenith's to PAM's, but at the time it was when PAM's were really gaining in popularity...so I wanted one bad. Real bad. Only problem was at the time I could afford the car, but not a $4k+ watch. I worked my butt off for a few years and put myself in a position to not only sell the M3 for something even sportier, but also finally partake in the watch habit. I took money from the M3 sale and purchased a PAM111 to commerorate that time in my life.

Fast forward almost a year and I just got a promotion at work. I decide to reward myself by adding to my little watch collection. I had never had a Rolex on my wrist so I didn't quite understand it all outside of the incredible branding and my go to friend for watches telling me that "every man should own at least one", foolishly I went into my local AD here in Boston to try on a few pieces. I had my eye on the LV and when I saw one in the case I was stricken. The guy was a great salesman and knew my weak spot as I had just gotten engaged, "you'll get married in that watch" he said. Bastard, he was probably right. I went home, but couldn't get the LV off my mind. Needless to say I bought one shortly thereafter and do indeed plan to wear it at my wedding next fall.

To bring this story full circle I just bought a double watch winder last week and I keep my LV next to my granfather's gold Bulova from the 50s, I love waking up and seeing that. Past and present represented by time, there is nothing better.
BealeAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:24 AM   #68
Adman01
"TRF" Member

Quite simply...you deserve it
Matthew
Adman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:26 AM   #69
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Got engaged... It was my engagement gift to myself... Was a very expensive weekend
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:31 AM   #70
newmedia
"TRF" Member

This week is one year since I started buying watches for hobby, Just ordered TTGMT2C.
newmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:34 AM   #71
Kapture1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω 3570.50.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post
You have to do the Porsche thing . Nothing else like driving a Porsche with the top down on a nice day!!! Trust me
You mean the Volkswagen Motors thing
Kapture1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:35 AM   #72
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
Got my first and only Rolex Submariner when I graduated medical school 2 years ago as a present from my parents. The Sub is the one watch that I will never sell/flip/trade... it reminds me of the hard work my parents did for me - considering they paid the watch with a credit card and just recently paid it off slowly but surely.

I am not from a well off family, but I am from a family who cares for each other - the Sub is always the piece that will humble me and the piece that means the most to me even if time will come that I will have (and it is already starting) timepieces that cost more than it.

My Sub will always be with me, something I cannot say for the rest of my watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2218.jpg (41.6 KB, 107 views)

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:49 AM   #73
BealeAss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapture1 View Post
Got engaged... It was my engagement gift to myself... Was a very expensive weekend
Lol x2 here my friend. Well worth it though!
BealeAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:50 AM   #74
Speed
"TRF" Member

I felt compelled to get a second Rolex Sports watch (GMT II Coke) as I did not want to bore forum members with photos of my Series Y Sub - day after day.

Not really. I got bitten by the bug / and I truly wanted one!!!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 03:08 AM   #75
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Because it's there!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 03:10 AM   #76
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post
I turned 40 last year ........ It sucks!!
Not so bad when you consider the alternative!
ersnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 03:31 AM   #77
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
For me, this is a tough question. I guess I just love 'em. Really do.
Old 13 November 2009, 03:50 AM   #78
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
It was so long ago, I forgot....I guess I need to start coming up with a reason for another

Al
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 02:47 PM   #79
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
I like precision mechanisms, I need to know the time, I think a watch is a fine piece of jewelery and says something about the wearer, and I do not wear other jewelery. And....perhaps we all do it....well....just because we can. lol

John
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 03:26 PM   #80
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechman View Post
My business kicked butt in a lousy economy.
+1 me too!
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 05:38 PM   #81
kotsos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooddog44 View Post
My Father for two reasons.

1. He always had, and passed on to my brothers and me, an appreciation for precision equipment and technologies. Along with that appreciation he taught us the importance of maintaining those things to maximize performance. He had a particular affinity for watches and owned many brands including Rolex.

2. He went to work one day, found himself in the middle of a bad situation, took a bullet in the neck and never came home again. As the oldest I was given at the hospital the plastic bag containing his blood stained clothes...the last clothes that he ever put on for the last time that he ever walked out of his own home. As I looked at the clothes in that bag it occurred to me that we all, in one way or another, take "tomorrow" for granted without ever sparing a thought that it really isn't granted for any of us. The idea that he was putting those clothes on, an act as simple as dressing himself, for the last time would never have crossed his mind yet that is in fact what happened. It made me think that if there is something, anything, that you really want, do it because you just never know. I try to have that attitude about the things I do each day - my job, my friends, family,etc...- as a way of honoring his memory not in reckless or frivolous manner but in not basing my life on making all kinds of plans for "later" but trying to live more for now.

A Sub Date was something that I always wanted and, along with the above story, my wife knew that. When we got married we used money that both had saved for "things" to buy a house but she told me that for our fifth anniversary she would get me the watch that I am wearing at this moment. She gave it to me a little over a year ago and except for three weeks being serviced it has been on my wrist everyday since. Each time I look at it I'm reminded of my wife and father and how much they both mean, and meant, to me.

This is a shocking story!!!
kotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 05:58 PM   #82
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

My story as follows:

I have never owned a "nice" watch. I wear a plain-Jane Seiko everyday. I've never really been a watch enthusiast. About 1.5 months ago I met an old friend for dinner/drinks. He had this great big stonking watch on his wrist. I noticed it was a Rolex and was quite attracted to it. I asked him, if he would mind to let me put it on. And I did, and I was just mesmerised by the DSSD. It was the first time I had ever put on a Rolex. Ever since, I've been doing research on it, and hunting for the best bargain etc etc.

Til now, I still haven't forked out the money. But since that time I've completed my MBA (after 7 years) and I use that as an excuse to get my first Rolex. I also very much like the fact that a watch is a very personal thing and the idea of passing it onto my son to me is very meaningful. Lastly, I want the watch to represent and remind me that if I want to live the high life, I need to work a bit harder to earn the money for it!
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 06:10 PM   #83
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man

Beautiful picture of this classic GMT
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 06:54 PM   #84
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Joey Sweet shot of your Rolex and the Grand. I love it there I can't wait a few more months and I will be there too.
Old 13 November 2009, 06:55 PM   #85
Rebel1

Watch: SS Daytona - White
I recently survived lung cancer ...
Rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2009, 10:46 PM   #86
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

This is great !! What a blast from the past .
Old 21 November 2009, 10:48 PM   #87
kjb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsWatch72 View Post
Because I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!
Take two
Old 21 November 2009, 11:34 PM   #88
Redred2009

Watch: Sea-Dweller 1220M
I need it as my second wife, cos I love it!
Redred2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:39 AM   #89
jas55
"TRF" Member

Life long dream to own one, had some savings at 27 so after some contemplation I made the choice to go for one.

Explorer 2-Polar
Omega Seamaster Quartz
jas55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2009, 12:48 AM   #90
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
It is a sickness that must be treated with just one more Rolex.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote