The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2010, 01:44 AM   #61
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
All the experts he calls in seem to wear Rolex - I bet that's how he pays them lol
Rolesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 02:22 AM   #62
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I made the mistake of appearing on a television show on that network. I would say "staged," "fake" and "entertainment" are the order of the day.

It's too bad I didn't actually watch any programs on that network before I did the show, otherwise I never would have done it. I am constantly amazed by the number of people who cannot tell the difference between "reality TV" and actual reality.
Old 16 June 2010, 03:03 AM   #63
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC13 View Post
__________________________________________________ _____________

They can only sell for what people will buy them for!
Nobody sells them with a gun to anyone's head.

Maybe people are willing to pay a premium for what they want?! It's their money, what the heck do you care - enough to call them "idiots".

Shaking head... I am sure that every item you own would be held up to similar scrutiny.

-Pete
LOL...that is exactly why they are idiots. Why would you openly agree to spend a large premium for something you can get around the corner at a cheaper price? You can pick up new SS Daytonas all day on this forum for $10,400, sometimes even less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazo View Post
Some used SS Daytona's are worth that much and more - some of the rarer Zenith movement ones (Patrizzi, Floating Cosmograph, Mark I, II and III).....
That is perfectly fine but if you look at my original post, I said current series Daytonas.

Soon to come: AP 26401 RG, AP 15202OR, Patek 3940G
uracowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 03:21 AM   #64
Fixxxer
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Yachtmaster
Has anyone seen this segment on pawn stars. If you search under Pawn Stars on Youtube this is one of the first videos that shows up. I love the part where he says, "The thing about a Rolex is there is nothing wrong with it. Everything is made perfectly, period." He leaves out many key points but you can tell from the video he has seen plenty of fakes come into his store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU76nhgpQCk
Fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 03:48 AM   #65
MikeyTX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116613LN Sub
The best part of that video is that after it ends, ya can watch the muppets.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:29 AM   #66
PeteNYC13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by uracowman View Post
LOL...that is exactly why they are idiots. Why would you openly agree to spend a large premium for something you can get around the corner at a cheaper price? You can pick up new SS Daytonas all day on this forum for $10,400, sometimes even less.

That is perfectly fine but if you look at my original post, I said current series Daytonas.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Fair point... but some people, especially with money, don't feel like buying a $10,400 watch from a stranger on the internet. They didn't get rich giving money away. Just a thought.

-Pete
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 10:53 AM   #67
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Only ever been into a couple of Pawn Shops. I was naively expecting them to be full of interesting items at really tempting prices. I was disappointed that they were full of overpriced stuff in quite poor condition. Made me wonder who actually buys the stuff.
I guess, people who don't do their homework.
Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 11:12 AM   #68
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Only ever been into a couple of Pawn Shops. I was naively expecting them to be full of interesting items at really tempting prices. I was disappointed that they were full of overpriced stuff in quite poor condition. Made me wonder who actually buys the stuff.
I guess, people who don't do their homework.
Those high prices are there so negotiation can take place.

Old 16 June 2010, 01:11 PM   #69
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrwin View Post
It's amazing to me how terrible negotiators most are! It goes something like this...

Pawn Stars: "How much do you want for it?"
Seller: "$2000."
PS: <laughing>...."I don't think so. I'll give you $200 for it."
Seller: "Hmm...ok....sounds like a good deal."
Pawn Stars: "Go write him up Chum".

Haha...it's kind of depressing sometimes. I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures. There are times when they feel that the item is worth more than what the seller is asking for and they will give them that amount. But that seems to be a rare instance.
that is right on lol exactly the way they are...

pops:"it looks to me this is a knock off but let me bring a buddy of mine in and maybe he can tell us a bit more about it"

his buddy:"my evaluation on this original holy grail, is that it is 100% authentic and worth, if put in auction, anywhere from 1 trillion to 100 trillion dollars"

pops personal side note to the camera:"this is great, its not everyday something like this comes into my store, i know if i can get this at a good deal i can make Alot of money on this and i want it..."

pops: how much you want for it?

customer: well he said anywhere from 1 trillion to 100 trillion euro's

pop's: no that was 100 trillion american confederate dollars.

customer: oh, well ill meet you in the middle, hows about 50 trillion?

pops: ummm no, i was thinking more along the lines of 100k

customer: well thats not what your buddy said, if thats the case i minds well put it up for auction

pops: well remember something, im a retail store, i have to make some kind of profit out of this, and it's going to be sitting on my shelf for a long time before it gets sold

customer: well maybe i will just put it up for auction and get alot of money for it

pops: well yeah, but there are gonna be alot of auction fees along with that and many other fees, so by the time your done, you're going to get less than what im offering.

customer: i don't know...

pops: ill tell ya what, ill give you a 100k and a 50 dollar store credit to put towards something in the store, like one of our 10,000.00 dollar fenders.

customer: you got a deal.

pop's: ok sounds good, lets go do some paperwork
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 02:20 PM   #70
crazyfingers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
It's amazing to me how terrible negotiators most are! It goes something like this...

Pawn Stars: "How much do you want for it?"
Seller: "$2000."
PS: <laughing>...."I don't think so. I'll give you $200 for it."
Seller: "Hmm...ok....sounds like a good deal."
Pawn Stars: "Go write him up Chum".

Haha...it's kind of depressing sometimes. I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures. There are times when they feel that the item is worth more than what the seller is asking for and they will give them that amount. But that seems to be a rare instance.
Old 16 June 2010, 10:24 PM   #71
Rich2putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG, Exp ll white
I must admit this show is entertaining , amusing & addictive. It certainly beats watching Oprah or Dr. Phil.
Rich2putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2010, 11:55 PM   #72
Arrwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post

pops:"it looks to me this is a knock off but let me bring a buddy of mine in and maybe he can tell us a bit more about it"

his buddy:"my evaluation on this original holy grail, is that it is 100% authentic and worth, if put in auction, anywhere from 1 trillion to 100 trillion dollars"

pops personal side note to the camera:"this is great, its not everyday something like this comes into my store, i know if i can get this at a good deal i can make Alot of money on this and i want it..."

customer: well thats not what your buddy said, if thats the case i minds well put it up for auction

pops: well remember something, im a retail store, i have to make some kind of profit out of this, and it's going to be sitting on my shelf for a long time before it gets sold

customer: well maybe i will just put it up for auction and get alot of money for it

pops: well yeah, but there are gonna be alot of auction fees along with that and many other fees, so by the time your done, you're going to get less than what im offering.

pops: ill tell ya what, ill give you a 100k and a 50 dollar store credit to put towards something in the store, like one of our 10,000.00 dollar fenders.

Arrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2010, 12:18 AM   #73
Rolesor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post

I'm laughing out loud at work.. people think I'm an idiot but it was worth it haha
Rolesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 02:52 AM   #74
Arrwin
"TRF" Member

Pawn Stars in NYT

Just read this article in the NYT. Kinda interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/ar...20stars&st=cse
Arrwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2010, 07:37 AM   #75
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just read this article in the NYT. Kinda interesting...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/06/ar...20stars&st=cse
My uncle just sent me a picture via text yesterday right outside the shop. He took a flight from Houston to Vegas for some sort of trade show and it was around noon and the line was over 40 people long just to get in.

Old 22 June 2010, 10:15 PM   #76
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
I watched it last night, it was pretty boring. Its one of those shows I like to watch every now and again, it's getting old though. Same with american pickers, it's interesting but growing old fast.
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2010, 12:40 AM   #77
uracowman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
I watched it last night, it was pretty boring. Its one of those shows I like to watch every now and again, it's getting old though. Same with american pickers, it's interesting but growing old fast.
I agree. Last night's was boring to the point where I didn't even pay attention. Pawn Stars is only entertaining when the items they have featured are really interesting, for instance, old American documents or world artifacts.