The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 November 2010, 05:15 AM   #61
InVision
Banned

Watch: Outerspace DayDate
Put the watch in the safety box. Tell her you don't want to lose any $$ on it and will bring it out after a few Rolex price increases. Wear a beat up ol' something and see what develops. My wife thought Rolex watches were a big waste of money when we first got married. Now she owns four of them... Go figure, she may even want to wear the TOG someday.

Mike
Old 24 November 2010, 05:23 AM   #62
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Excellent point !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
You'd think your fiance would want you to wear what you like. Marriage is all about negotiation and this might not bode well for your future.
I can understand having to work out the $$ situation but would have a hard time with someone who dictated what I can wear.
Just my 2cts.
dP
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
Old 24 November 2010, 05:27 AM   #63
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolesor View Post
I gotta disagree. The 36mm DJ wears like a dream and I'm not a small guy either.

Do I want a sub as well. yes. Does that make my DJ a womans watch. Nope

I think almost all Rolex's a pretty Unisex - Just my opinion of course.
Run Forrest run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also have two 34 MM Rolex's and they look fine on me. Don't fall into the dinner plate strapped to your wrist trap. PS, next time she asks you how she looks in her new skirt or shorts, tell her that they make her butt look fat and to return them. See how that strikes her.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:32 AM   #64
rxonmymind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex woot! woot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad87gn View Post
Sounds controlling like my ex-wife. LOL! I'd tell her she is welcome to buy you a new Rolex any time she likes.
Sweet. Nicely put.

Oscar Wilde
Old 24 November 2010, 05:33 AM   #65
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooder202 View Post
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Datejust Turn o Graph in SS and Rose Gold with a black slate dial. I absolutely love it, BUT, my fiance will not get off my case about how it's too small or "girly looking" because of the rose gold. She's pressuring me into getting rid of it for good (already listed on eBay just to see what I can get) and saying to get either the 41mm Which she really liked, or the Sub-C - which I LOVE but really want a two-tone and the two-tone sub C is a bit out of the price range.

Now I understand you will say "Is is what YOU like" but common, I have to live with this woman after all! Dropping over 5k on a watch isn't helping especially when she doesn't like it! UGHHHHHHH

My original post with pics - http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612
Read between the lines (girly ,too small ) She Wants it for herself.Give it to her and I'll bet you can buy whatever you want in the future.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:39 AM   #66
skypilot
"TRF" Member

Flip the fiancee!! I'm far from an expert, it has been my observation that women, like kids, are constantly testing to see what they can get away with or what authority they can exert over you. If this is the way you're starting out, you'd better just start calling her "boss" right now.
Old 24 November 2010, 05:50 AM   #67
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
I saw the wrist shot on your other thread ... nothing "girly" about that watch in my book.
Old 24 November 2010, 06:03 AM   #68
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aivas47a View Post
I saw the wrist shot on your other thread ... nothing "girly" about that watch in my book.
Agreed. Plus the case seems to almost cover the width of your wrist. What are you about 6.5-6.75"? fits like a glove, imo. I am not a huge fan of the rose at this point, though I went through that phase, but it looks very nice.
Old 24 November 2010, 06:10 AM   #69
snog
"TRF" Member

nothing girly about that watch,I'll give her this tho shes good,she has got you to put a watch you love on ebay and at the same time got you thinking it's your idea

tell her you don't like horses and would prefer she takes up the donkey derby instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Melinda at the start.jpg (24.3 KB, 183 views)
Old 24 November 2010, 06:18 AM   #70
petesjag
"TRF" Member

This is a slippery slope...What I have learned in marrage and divorce is that you can better stand up and take charge of what you want or it will come back to bite you in the ass later........If you do, she will respect you more for it....Really!
Old 24 November 2010, 06:18 AM   #71
Aivas47a

Watch: Love them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
Plus the case seems to almost cover the width of your wrist. What are you about 6.5-6.75"? fits like a glove, imo.
Good point -- seeing how your current watch looks on your wrist, I don't think you want anything much bigger.

My wife rides too (Western/rodeo-style, but it's still expensive), and our compromise is: I don't tell her what to do when it comes to horses, and she doesn't tell me what to do when it comes to watches. Married 21 years and it's worked out pretty well so far.
Old 24 November 2010, 06:28 AM   #72
dooder202
Banned

Watch: DateJust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
Dooder, I looked at the ebay listing.....well done, clear and concise. Great pics...the watch looks good on you, with that nice blue stripped long sleeve shirt! You really should think about keeping it! I see you have had 4 offers already. Was wondering what they were, if you don't mind sharing? Always nice to know what folks on eBay are offering for stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Datejust-1...#ht_500wt_1156

Also, I'm somewhat confused, as you listed the watch for sale on eBay on November 19th (http://shop.ebay.com/edb4164/m.html), and as your original post here, "My first Rolex, Pics attached" was posted November 20th one day after you listed the watch for sale on eBay (http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=152612).
(Oh, and in your eBay listing of 11-19, you mention that Rolex increased the MSRP on 11-17. Did Rolex have yet another price increase? I am sooooo out of the loop on these things!!)
I received the watch on Thursday November 18th, I'm not sure exactly when I put the watch up on eBay but I know it wasn't long after but at LEAST a day, that was after the conversion between us lol.
Old 24 November 2010, 06:36 AM   #73
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Quote:
I received the watch on Thursday November 18th, I'm not sure exactly when I put the watch up on eBay but I know it wasn't long after but at LEAST a day, that was after the conversion between us lol.
Ah, ok....kinda looked weird, that's all. So what kind of offers are you getting??

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Old 24 November 2010, 06:46 AM   #74
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Datejust Turn o Graph in SS and Rose Gold with a black slate dial. I absolutely love it, BUT, my fiance will not get off my case about how it's too small or "girly looking" because of the rose gold. She's pressuring me into getting rid of it for good (already listed on eBay just to see what I can get) and saying to get either the 41mm Which she really liked, or the Sub-C - which I LOVE but really want a two-tone and the two-tone sub C is a bit out of the price range.

Now I understand you will say "Is is what YOU like" but common, I have to live with this woman after all! Dropping over 5k on a watch isn't helping especially when she doesn't like it! UGHHHHHHH

I'm not going to read all the responses; but I have been married going on 20 years to the same woman and a few years back, I bought a rose gold Day-Date and it was the only watch I've ever bought that she didn't like. She told me not to wear it with a short sleeve shirt and that I was already pink enough! I traded it for a YG Day-Date and you know what: she was right? It looked a lot better on me and was what I had wanted in the beginning anyway. At least she was being honest with me as maybe your fiance is being with you. IMHO, marriage isn't a battlefield of opposing camps; it's a field for compromise. In my case, in the end, we both were happier.

In the grand scheme of things, maybe she views a watch with a little bit less reverence than we do?
Old 24 November 2010, 06:52 AM   #75
pz93c
"TRF" Member

Oh Heck no.

her
Old 24 November 2010, 06:57 AM   #76
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I would keep the watch if I like it.
I mean, there are really much more important things in life than watches, and I completely cannot understand people who are in mood to decide what is "nice" and what is not, what is "masculine" and what is not and similar nonsense...
I`m 6 feet guy, and I work out in gym for some fifteen years or more. I wear Tudor Prince Date, watch very similar to Rolex Date. It`s smaller than your TOG and I never found it inappropriate for me by any means. It`s a beautiful little watch, and I`m proud while I`m wearing it.
And your TOG is real beauty, rose gold looks distinguished and very classy.
Whatever you do, do it because it makes YOU happy!
Old 24 November 2010, 06:58 AM   #77
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'd think your fiance would want you to wear what you like. Marriage is all about negotiation and this might not bode well for your future.
I can understand having to work out the $$ situation but would have a hard time with someone who dictated what I can wear.
Just my 2cts.
dP
Well said, Dan!
Old 24 November 2010, 07:01 AM   #78
GJS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610
My answer if it was my fiance: So, when are YOU going to buy me a watch YOU want me to wear? Say, a TT SUB C (that you want, if it was me, I'd get a non-ceramic)
Old 24 November 2010, 09:08 AM   #79
eteokles
"TRF" Member

Dooder, if I can chime in on the size of the watch, I don't think that it looks small on you at all. That watch is the perfect size for your wrist.
Old 24 November 2010, 09:21 AM   #80
Z06

Watch: 116713 - V
Quote:
Just my 2cts.
dP
What he said...No offense, but dictating a watch, especially one you love...wow (BTW...I lov that watch!)

Hope you know what your getting into...
Old 24 November 2010, 10:10 AM   #81
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

One word: Bail. Bail before 10 years go by and she gets half your stuff and you're wearing a watch from the convienance store.

$0.02
Old 24 November 2010, 10:47 AM   #82
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Old 24 November 2010, 10:59 AM   #83
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Wear what you like, otherwise you're making a big mistake. And there's nothing girly about rose gold.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Old 24 November 2010, 12:17 PM   #84
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Quote:
BUT, my fiance will not get off my case about how it's too small or "girly looking" because of the rose gold. She's pressuring me into getting rid of it for good
Well just change my fiance will not get off my case to my wife will not get off of my case and you should be fine.

Honestly you should really think this one over.

Beautiful watch by the way. Good luck
Old 24 November 2010, 12:30 PM   #85
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Seriously?

Where what you want. You're not even married yet. If this is foreshadowing of things to come, well . . . I think you know.
Old 24 November 2010, 12:31 PM   #86
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:
Just my 2cts.
dP

Why do I agree with Dan so often..?..
Old 24 November 2010, 12:44 PM   #87
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

Keep the watch and trade her in...LOL
Old 24 November 2010, 12:45 PM   #88
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
You don't have to live with anyone you are not married to.!!! And theres no way in hell my wife would speak a word regarding any of my Rolex's.

I know my 116400 is not one of her top picks due to the orange lighting bolt but she understands the history behind the watch.

If this is a person whom you are not married to I would rethink my decision. Unless you have kids, a house cars and other costly assets with her now. I can tell you this only a start.

I am on my third. thats right my third. When they start on me regarding my already standing values, morals and views with this new way women idea of "I'll have to whip him into shape" or "We are married now, we need to do this". I send there ass packing!!

I grew up in my Grandparents home. My grandmothers thoughts were always taken into consideration however it was my Grandpa's final decision.

In no way did he ever take advantaged of her or was she ever mistreated but in there day and time it was unheard of for a women to run ahead of a man.

I'm sorry for the rant. and my , but I know way to many guys that say "My wife will not let me do that" or "I will have to ask her"

The same person that will not let you spend 5K on a Rolex will make you spend 6K on a cabinet to put he mothers china in. Keep you'r first Rolex especially if you bought it new in the box and have all the paper to back it.

Every time I see a post thats makes reference to a 5513 I think of the times I spent diving with my first Rolex and how much I miss it. When hear the name Jenny I don't miss my first wife at all!

Bull Crap!!!
Old 24 November 2010, 12:51 PM   #89
Sunshine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-Apple View Post
If you like it , put her on ebay ,and see how much you can get for her
Thats f'en awesome!!!!
Old 24 November 2010, 12:57 PM   #90
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:

With all respect to you and your fiancee, why does she need to prescribe what you needd to wear? If you like the watch it should be enough for her to support you and be happy for you.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Closed Thread