The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 May 2011, 11:54 AM   #61
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
keep the watch. It is desired and wanted by many.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2011, 01:11 AM   #62
sm70911
"TRF" Member

OK so a bit of an update. My wifes mother has a fired who is a jeweler The 5512 Rolex is a genuine Rolex watch just like you guys said, and so is the other one. He advised a service like you guys did, but he also said its a european 27 jewel movement ? Is that right, i was checking some 5512 posts here im a bit confused.
Anyhow It turns out that my dad kept money and his posessions in some different places. He worked a lot in Europe so we have been pretty busy and had to arrange for the lawyers here to gain access some of his stuff which he kept in banks. Its really a big pain, but we managed it finally. Anyhow my wife is now in Europe (I couldn't get time off work, my boss was being a jerk) Anyhow the reason Im posting here is she says there are some more watches. She says there is a another two rolexs she described it here
"looks the same as the other one but with a date and a big glass that sticks up above the number band, and a huge one with the big glass and an engraved back and a little hole on the left side, it looks like it had another winder that fell off. There is a third watch patek phillipe, i googled it tonight and i think the PP is teh aquanaut model, its a dressier style and big but smaller than the other two.
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find out about this stuff, especailly the Patek phillipe, I googled the aquanaut and its selling for ten grand !. My wife is trying to MMS me some pics. She says there are a bunch of rolex papers like the one from the 5512 which come from rolex in France. She had teh lady from the hotel translate some of the stuff shes going to try and fax it. She said there is another box but its quite beat.
I am assuming one is a submariner, hopefully real, the one with a broken winder and an engraved back ?
I know not to ask (phil) my co worker, but just chatting in the break room he said Patek Phillipe is the watch James Cameron wears to film his underwater movies. Im pretty excited to see the pics and the fax later.
sm70911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2011, 02:23 AM   #63
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm70911 View Post
He advised a service like you guys did, but he also said its a european 27 jewel movement ? Is that right, i was checking some 5512 posts here im a bit confused.
Probably referring to the auto wind and a few other places that Rolex put brass bushings for the US market. The reason Rolex used brass bushings in some places like the auto wind was to avoid higher imports tariffs that would be levied for the higher jewel count.

Quote:
She says there is a another two rolexs she described it here
"looks the same as the other one but with a date and a big glass that sticks up above the number band,
Sounds like it might be a Rolex 1680. Ask if it has red writing on the dial “Submariner”. Could be a nice find.

Quote:

and a huge one with the big glass and an engraved back and a little hole on the left side, it looks like it had another winder that fell off.
Sounds like a Sea Dweller. Ask if the dial has red writing on it. Sounds like he liked vintage watches.
Good luck.
CD
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2011, 03:27 AM   #64
sm70911
"TRF" Member

OK thanks for the feedback. I asked my wife about 'red writing' on the dial she said it is white on both. She said the heavy watch has the outside ring in the same way the other two do. I can not upload the pics right now because I can not link my iphone to my work computer, but i can do that tonight. Its not such good pics. My wife said the dots are much more yellow than on the one we found in the box. She sent a MMS of the box and its a sleave with a picture and a heavy green looking case. There are some papers in french and a guaruntee with a perforated number in the paper.
She said the hotel lady told her there is an assesment from a jeweller in Niece which lists some watches and other stuff. This is where the Patek came from, my wife has the receipt. My wife is trying to get the assement and figure out what is what.
I googled the sub mariner seadweller and emailed my wife the pic. I can see the little dent on the side where the hole is so I'm waiting for her to check that. She said the other submariner watch is heavier, and she said the glass doesnt fit inside the watch, she said its raised about an eight of an inch. and then the is the little bubble glass over the date. My wife said its much more shiney than the one on NY, and the watch is heavier.
There is no way i can send any more stuff to Bob Ridley and I am not even sure if my wife can bring these watches home. I am asking my attorney what is the best route.
Its pretty stressful sorting all this out and has been pretty expensive. I know nice things cost money, but im hopeful someone can advise us what to do. These watches is just a fraction of all the stuff we have to deal with. I got a recommend in from my co workers wifes friends husband who is a photographer, she said he said to take it to London and sell it to a famous Rolex guy in London.
Old 24 May 2011, 03:51 AM   #65
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is no way i can send any more stuff to Bob Ridley
What did you send to Ridley?

Quote:

and I am not even sure if my wife can bring these watches home. I am asking my attorney what is the best route.
It will be interesting what your lawyer has to say about bringing them to the US. From my understanding, a traveler can bring one Rolex on their person into the US without having any potential issues. If there is another coming back with her I don’t think there is any issue with the Rolexes.

Quote:

Its pretty stressful sorting all this out and has been pretty expensive.
Sorry for your stress. I lost my father a few years ago and understand the stress.
Quote:

I know nice things cost money, but im hopeful someone can advise us what to do. These watches is just a fraction of all the stuff we have to deal with. I got a recommend in from my co workers wifes friends husband who is a photographer, she said he said to take it to London and sell it to a famous Rolex guy in London.
What would you like to do with the watches? Keep or sell? Once you identify what you want to do you can get better direction on what to do.

Ha, who is the famous Rolex person in London? Mr. Wood perhaps?
Old 24 May 2011, 04:01 AM   #66
sm70911
"TRF" Member

We are sending the Rolex 5512 and the Rolex date that is my moms. I want both to be working. I'm waiting to send both together because I would like my wife and I to have them. Neither one works and motivating my mom to go to the post office to mail it to us has not been easy. (She kind of is doing a bit of an ostrich on this whole thing)
No idea who the rolex london guy is. I just do not want to get ripped off if the language is not English.
Thanks.
Old 24 May 2011, 04:05 AM   #67
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

If you plan on keeping those two watches then that is a good choice. If you are going to sell them, there might be other options.
Once you find out the names, run them by the folks here and they will be able to help on the integrity of the names you get.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:41 AM   #68
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
SM,

My advice to you is to concentrate on the "process" of sorting out the family details. This is a very trying time and emotions are concentrated. I cannot speak for the rest of the forum, but I'm sure that they would agree with me that right now you should focus on the affairs at hand.

You seem to have come across a small trove of treasures, but to properly invest the time needed to sort those finds out, you should probably take your time. I like to read about the amazing finds in here and live vicariously thorough the results, hoping one day that I may be so fortunate to find a small treasure trove such as yourself. However, sometime I get caught up in the process and forget that there are other people and emotions involved.

With that said, I would focus on the larger issue of getting all of the pieces in your possession. Once you have them, come back to the forum and start the research. We're not going anywhere and love hearing the stories. The most knowledgeable folks on here will gladly give you wonderful advice. Consider it a project that your father would be grateful and proud of you to have undertaken.........a legacy of sorts to carry on.

If you should decide to process the finds as they appear, then please contact Bob Ridley and Andrew Shear. My research over the past 4 months suggest that they are sources that you will be very satisfied with.

Pete
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote