The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 4 June 2014, 11:31 PM   #61
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Consult with a local attorney. It will be worth the fee. A letter from an attorney to the AD can be very powerful.

I would demand a replacement, assuming facts are as stated. Best of luck.
Old 5 June 2014, 12:03 AM   #62
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd be sending it quickly to RSC or back to the AD. Let us hear what happens. I do think that you photo is out of focus because the bezel is out of focus, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 5 June 2014, 12:20 AM   #63
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
they found one of the gaskets faulty and I'm going on 2 weeks while they decide to send me a brand new one or repair my brand new one.
Who is "they"? It it the AD who is deciding what to do, or RSC? I would think it is RSC.

Did your AD send the watch to Rolex? If they sent it Registered US Mail, it will take a week to get to RSC, and a couple days for them to evaluate the situation.

I understand that it is frustrating to purchase a new watch and have an issue, but the AD could very well be working with Rolex to resolve the issue at the guidance of Rolex.

Personal experience, I had a JLC that failed immediately after receiving int back from a 5 month service, it was hen gone for another 3 months to correct the problem. That was 8 months with no wear!
Old 5 June 2014, 12:35 AM   #64
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
it's been suggested TWICE here, file a dispute with your credit card co.
Old 5 June 2014, 02:51 AM   #65
ufboy73
Banned

no f'ing way i would take a warranty repair on that!
Old 5 June 2014, 02:58 AM   #66
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
What a crummy way to start!

Welcome to TRF; good luck with this...
Old 5 June 2014, 03:02 AM   #67
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
What is happening with the Quality Control of Rolex lately.
Quite some issues nowadays.
I am sure that the AD and/or Rolex will satisfy the OP, can't imagine that they wold like to have bad press for poor customer service.
Old 5 June 2014, 03:33 AM   #68
porschedude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Definitely demand a new watch. Who knows what damage was done inside.
I agree with this, you pay for a watch of this level and quality it should outlast you.
Old 5 June 2014, 03:34 AM   #69
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Yea...How does a defective this dectable get past final quality control on a diving watch???? Its so pathetic its almost like they don't pressure test all their watches....???
This is like buying a new high performance car that blows up at 30mph yet the car was suppose to be rigorously tested on a track at 160mph. Its impossible for it to happen if it were checked by quality control.

All do respect, Rolex quality seems more like dealership hype these days yet they keep raising the prices of their watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
What is happening with the Quality Control of Rolex lately.
Quite some issues nowadays.
I am sure that the AD and/or Rolex will satisfy the OP, can't imagine that they wold like to have bad press for poor customer service.
Old 5 June 2014, 04:18 AM   #70
g-boac

Jimmy - there is a very narrow window in most states; three days in Texas, where the buyer has the right to cancel the transaction for any reason and the seller must comply. I suggest you exercise that prerogative immediately before your opportunity lapses.

Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of your AD willing to refund (or even exchange, or repair the watch). This includes whatever limited scope of repair they perform (for example, only partially disassembling and repairing your movement), and, they will do this on their schedule. A watch repair could take months. Additionally, at any point, they could choose to attribute fault for the water incursion to you, even if it wasn't your fault, and zero out your watch warranty. There was a post on this forum this year where a member stated his wife's watch failed under no circumstances other than normal daily wear, and Rolex elected not to honor the warranty, stating that it was "abuse" versus a defect. His post indicated the offered no proof of their assertion, yet he had no way of refuting it.

This is an unacceptable mess you should NOT have to deal with - but the cleanest and quickest way is for you to demand and receive a full refund, then try again at another AD.

Tim's post a few back was outstanding.

Good luck!
Old 5 June 2014, 04:36 AM   #71
Piloto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 & 116710BLNR
Sorry about this. With ANY product, this will happen rarely. Now, lets do something.

Tell the AD you insist on a NEW WATCH. This one will never be the same.

If they refuse...

1. OK, Mr. AD, I'm going to post your business name and practice all over The Rolex Forum, AND any other watch forum out there that I can find. I'll also tell all my friends and everyone at work about your lack of customer service. Word will spread quickly. When this is over, they will have heard your name in Siberia.

2. I'm going to dispute the charge on my credit card. I DO NOT want the old wet watch back. You keep it, I'll keep my money.

3. If you DO take care of me and give me a new watch AS YOU SHOULD, I'll post on the watch forums about YOUR GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, and that you stand by your product.

Your choice Mr. AD. Payment or not, bad publicity or good... It's up to you.

Do not let this get you down about Rolex. ANY brand will have issues from time to time.
Old 5 June 2014, 04:40 AM   #72
Explorador
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710LN,PO 8900
How are the chances of getting the money back, in case they deny a new watch?
Old 5 June 2014, 04:52 AM   #73
Quackers
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'm not (yet) a Rolex owner and I'm not in the U.S..
It's very sad that this has happened, for sure and I would not expect this of a brand like Rolex.
I appreciate that there is huge disappointment for the OP.
However, to say that the watch will never be the same again because it's got wet is utter nonsense.
I'm sure Rolex would replace any item that shows sign of deterioration due to water damage (or could deteriorate in the future) thus making the watch "brand new" again.
I'm also sure that a full service would be / could be insisted upon (if that wasn't going to be done anyway).

All in all it's a disappointing turn of events but it isn't unfixable.
Obviously you would have a case for some compensation for your inconvenience or at least a discount off any future purchase.

Very upsetting, but not insurmountable.

What's more upsetting (if I'm reading this correctly) is the AD's delay in making a decision - 2 weeks I think the OP said, which is ridiculous if, as stated, it's the AD's decision rather than Rolex's.

Just my 2 cents worth and I hope they step up and sort this out for you - soon!
Old 5 June 2014, 04:54 AM   #74
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Sorry to hear that but sh!t happens! I certainly would demand a new watch immediately and some chocolate !!

My AD has 30 day no questions asked return policy
Old 5 June 2014, 04:55 AM   #75
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yea...How does a defective this dectable get past final quality control on a diving watch???? Its so pathetic its almost like they don't pressure test all their watches....???
This is like buying a new high performance car that blows up at 30mph yet the car was suppose to be rigorously tested on a track at 160mph. Its impossible for it to happen if it were checked by quality control.

All do respect, Rolex quality seems more like dealership hype these days yet they keep raising the prices of their watches.
You have absolutely NO idea what may or may not have happened between Rolex producing this watch and the failure described, nor are you certain that the story is even true. The watch may have been sold, opened, returned to the dealer and then resold, or this whole thread may be bogus...or any number of situations. Condemning Rolex based on the contents of this thread is ridiculous.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:01 AM   #76
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

What a horrible way to start off with a new watch. I agree with everyone's sentiments on here.

New watch from them should be in your cards.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:13 AM   #77
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Icon6

If the A.D. does not replace your watch with a new one, I question their integrity! They really need to be "outted" if a new watch is not offered in exchange for one you purchased!
Old 5 June 2014, 05:36 AM   #78
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
You have absolutely NO idea what may or may not have happened between Rolex producing this watch and the failure described, nor are you certain that the story is even true. The watch may have been sold, opened, returned to the dealer and then resold, or this whole thread may be bogus...or any number of situations. Condemning Rolex based on the contents of this thread is ridiculous.
That's true to some extent. On the other hand, it's also a bit ridiculous to become a brand warrior and jump to the defense of Rolex at the first sign that they might have produced a defective watch.

These are mass produced watches. It's not unreasonable to assume that some are defective when they leave the factory.

We see dozens of "incoming" threads every week with people and their perfect new watches. We get one thread about a defective watch and the defense force is in full effect.

I know this is the Rolex forum, but the defenders of the holy brand are a bit much sometimes.

OP, you should get a new watch. You know you won't be satisfied with that one if they repair it.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:39 AM   #79
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Completely unacceptable, sorry you are going through this and I would demand a new piece as well.
Old 5 June 2014, 05:51 AM   #80
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would demand a new watch. No repairs.
100% correct - new watch, no discussion!
Old 5 June 2014, 05:51 AM   #81
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
You make a good point. What is more likely:

1) that a brand new Sub has a bad crown?

2) OR that the AD set the time/date for the customer and did not screw the crown back in all the way?

We don't know and may never know.

Quote:
Old 5 June 2014, 05:54 AM   #82
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
That just plain sucks, these watches are designed to be highly water resistant which this was not.

I hope you are able to get a new watch, good luck!
Old 5 June 2014, 05:58 AM   #83
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
For myself, I always use my AmEx to purchase watches...they are like a starving pit bull in front of raw meat if you're unhappy. I once bought a watch from a grey dealer and it turned put to be a franken-watch....AmEx refunded my money immediately after my call and let the merchant know they could either take the watch back or not, but no payment would be made by them for the goods!! Yaaaay AmEx!
Old 5 June 2014, 06:11 AM   #84
onesixeight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 6263
Let me ask: So with the triple lock system, even if the crown was unscrewed, it should have stopped any water getting inside at say 2ft as in the OP's situation?

He deserves a new watch!
Old 5 June 2014, 06:14 AM   #85
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Terrible. Settle for nothing less than a brand new watch.
Old 5 June 2014, 06:26 AM   #86
postalworker
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Doesn't the Rolex company test the watch for leaks before they ship it to the dealer network?
Old 5 June 2014, 06:35 AM   #87
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
That's true to some extent. On the other hand, it's also a bit ridiculous to become a brand warrior and jump to the defense of Rolex at the first sign that they might have produced a defective watch.

These are mass produced watches. It's not unreasonable to assume that some are defective when they leave the factory.

We see dozens of "incoming" threads every week with people and their perfect new watches. We get one thread about a defective watch and the defense force is in full effect.

I know this is the Rolex forum, but the defenders of the holy brand are a bit much sometimes.

OP, you should get a new watch. You know you won't be satisfied with that one if they repair it.
I'm no part of a brand defense force. This is the internet. Be aware that you should nit believe everything you read.
Old 5 June 2014, 06:37 AM   #88
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Let me ask: So with the triple lock system, even if the crown was unscrewed, it should have stopped any water getting inside at say 2ft as in the OP's situation?

He deserves a new watch!
Why do you assume that the crown/tube assembly is the point of failure and ingress? How did you reach this conclusion?
Old 5 June 2014, 06:42 AM   #89
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Ask the AD for a new watch. If he says no, ask for a full refund(the watch is defective) and buy it somewhere else.
Old 5 June 2014, 06:43 AM   #90
onesixeight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona 6263
Quote:
Why do you assume that the crown/tube assembly is the point of failure and ingress? How did you reach this conclusion?
I don't know. BTW, I'm just asking because I saw someone mention earlier in the thread that even though the crown was unscrewed it should have still prevented water ingress due to the triple lock system

I have no knowledge of watch resistance in watches :-)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Closed Thread