The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13 June 2014, 06:43 PM   #61
LBHQ

Watch: 116520
I think most people dont notice who are wearing what?
Watch lovers would care about other's watches, but not necessarily Rolex.
Rolex wearer tend to know if others are having a Rolex too, but not always the case since many just know the only Rolex on their wrist.
We TRF are the ones caring the most about who's wearing a Rolex and what model
Old 13 June 2014, 06:48 PM   #62
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
What I think is that the responses one gets to this topic are often based solely on what the owners want to believe.....

Just my two cents.
This. This is really what I was curious to see what people believe. From the responses there were several that stated a fact that their SS Rolex watch was commented on a handful of times over the course of decades. Others truly believe their watch is being noticed with frequency, citing a couple if incidents in the past year and adding that many more are seeing it but just not saying anything. Others have added that they see a lot of Rolexes so by association, many must be seeing theirs. Others have identified that clearly people see their watches because Rolex is such an iconic brand and the watch designs are unmistakeable.

It is real interesting to see the strength of the Rolex brand on 'true believers', shaping what we believe. The $100M's spent on marketing over the decades by Rolex to have owners and to-be owners believe we become more visible and become part of an elite crowd by wearing a piece of stainless steel on our wrist that is clearly more differentiated, unmistakeable and special when viewed from 3'+ away than the next guy's piece of stainless steel. Obviously TRF would be a central hub of where advocates congregate but was not sure how people assembled their facts and logic and in what ratios on this subject. Quite informative.

Don't get me wrong , I'm a believer as well. I think Rolex is a fantastic watch and incredibly constructed and I just happen to believe for most people, especially non-watch enthusiasts, it is darn near impossible to tell one watch from another from a few feet away. I know I have this issue and I have at least a little bit of both watch knowledge and watch interest. As a result, I think very few know the watch on our wrist is a Rolex... but this is just what I believe and that is fine for me because I'm less interested in what Rolex projects of my stature in life. I wish I had access to watch company consumer research to find the true insights.
Old 13 June 2014, 08:22 PM   #63
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
I think the only people who might notice are those who are interested in watches (i.e. salespeople, enthusiasts, thiefs). I don't believe that most people even know what a Rolex looks like, or could spot one on someone's wrist (even if they were familiar with them).
Old 13 June 2014, 08:31 PM   #64
duffman
"TRF" Member

Ye people notice, but not always in a good way. As I am quite young to own diamond day dates, the cops love to notice and stop me in airports :(
Old 13 June 2014, 08:32 PM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivek View Post
Many more people notice than comment....
Exactly.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 13 June 2014, 09:08 PM   #66
duffman
"TRF" Member

Another point that came to mind, you shouldnt wear a watch for people to notice but for yourself and it sings to you
Old 13 June 2014, 09:18 PM   #67
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
What I think is that the responses one gets to this topic are often based solely on what the owners want to believe.

Well mostly Victoria Secret models notice. It actually gets a bit annoying when they keep on ogling my wrist and making cat calls toward my Explorer 1. Even had a few of them give me their number because they thought my Rolex was so kewl and shiny and thought I was super kewl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2014, 09:42 PM   #68
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
I don't believe that most people either notice or care about the watch you are wearing. The only ones who care are the crazy people like us.
Old 13 June 2014, 09:48 PM   #69
buckwheat
Banned

I think people buy Rolex watches for different reasons. I only buy Rolex for a standard of quality and perfection that is second to none. It will last me a lifetime and never go out of style. I have never owned anything other than a Rolex since I was 18 years old. I don't follow other watch brands and really dont care to know about them. I guess having a Rolex for over 28 years makes you feel that way. I like trying different models and this forum has been a huge help in learning more about the best watch in the world.

bw
Old 13 June 2014, 10:54 PM   #70
Rogdogg
2024 Pledge Member

Any time I have commented on people "noticing" my watch I am not saying that I believe they know it's a Rolex but they do notice the shiney sparkly thing on my wrist. A lot probably have no idea it's a Rolex but it catches their eye. I think it also depends on where you are in the world. When I am in Ireland or US I don't think people care less, however in some Asian countries, where image and showing what one has, is a big deal, things are noticed much more and I do believe much more people know what actual brand they are looking at. I onky have my blnr a short time but already I can see many more people looking at it than I ever did with my ExpII. Brand recognition is huge here in Thailand amongst people who can afford to buy it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Old 13 June 2014, 11:02 PM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I remember back to when I wasn't into watches and if someone had been wearing a big fat gold President with diamonds and rubies I wouldn't have noticed, so I imagine that is how it is for most people.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:15 PM   #72
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I wore my first Rolex an Explorer II, every day for twenty three years and was only questioned on two occasions both times by Explorer owners. Others might have noticed but I doubt it.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
Old 13 June 2014, 11:20 PM   #73
rustyduck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Ugh, this again. It depends which model - The Sub or GMT (pepsi) will be noticed more. The older ones that is, and this is down to years of popularity, great marketing and the fact that pretty much everyone has seen or been offered fake ones when abroad. The new ones are nowhere near as well known and will likely fly under the radar as another 'big diving watch' to the lay person. The chances that anyone will know it's a Rolex when rocking a GMT2C, for example are very slim - It has lost its likeness to the ones that were marketed for years and thrust under the noses of thousands, millions by the greasy man in Egypt chanting; "rolex rolex rolex".
I think this statement mirrors my experience. Most who have not been around the Rolex line couldn't tell you what you're wearing. They'll recognize the tell tale signs of a pepsi gmt II, submariner and DJ (two tone) with the cyclops but they won't necessarily know anything about the watch. they know what celebrity wore the same one and they saw one of the models advertised a lot over the years. they know it costs more than the watch they're wearing (assuming that they have one) and they have never priced one out because they'd "never spend that much on a watch ever". But because the Rolex is so subtle in may ways, it flies under the radar unless it's out of place with what the wearer is wearing or has been modified. I was at a function last month and one of the people I know was wearing one of the last couple years pepsi GMT II (no holes). the pepsi colors stood out because the event was a little more formal (not black tie but an all black bezel would have worked better) with what he had on but the only reason it would have been recognized as a Rolex was because of the well-known classic look of a pepsi gmt that has been advertised for years and worn by celebrities. If it had been an Air King, Explorer I, sub no-date or a Milgauss, the lack of cyclops, color and flash may have allowed the watch to blend in alot easier.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:28 PM   #74
michel33

People definitely do notice imho, but most of them won't comment.
Nowadays is a total new era, expensive watches mean something different to the average joe, nothing compared with what they used to represent only a few years ago.
And Rolex is a very, very peculiar brand….. with a very, very specific image…..

My two cents….
Old 13 June 2014, 11:36 PM   #75
skeen
"TRF" Member

I've noticed that since getting my sub, people tend to keep their distance a little more. I mean, literally - walking through a crowded Oxford St. people literally form a circle around me as I walk through.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:41 PM   #76
00Seven
"TRF" Member

I don't want people to notice unless they're "watch people".
Old 13 June 2014, 11:42 PM   #77
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
I've noticed that since getting my sub, people tend to keep their distance a little more. I mean, literally - walking through a crowded Oxford St. people literally form a circle around me as I walk through.
Agreed. The clouds tend to part and let the sun beam down as well.
Old 13 June 2014, 11:48 PM   #78
Mack Bolan
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Everyone notices...they just don't say anything...

Thats why forums like this exist. People together who can afford watches like this communicating with other like minded folks...

Heres a story: Recently I was with a bunch of people and everyone started looking at each others watches...They were wearing typical cheap fashion watches and were comlimenting one another. When they got to mine (Sub C TT Bluesy) they didn't say anything..they kinda looked up at me and nervously turned to the next person....Rolex makes a lot of people uncomfortable. It reminds them that of what they have and have not.
Old 14 June 2014, 12:52 AM   #79
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

The simple answering is that your environment probably decides more than anything else whether or not your watch gets noticed.

When I am in the UK, I always wear the 39mm Explorer which just fades into the background.

I wear a Sub when in Spain and at first I did worry if it would be noticed. Fortunately for me, Spain is a relatively poor country and the men buy big flash gaudy watches just to impress the ladies and my Sub is smaller and more restrained than almost every watch in Spain.

Had I wore the Sub in the office before I retired, It would have been noticed in days. One old colleague wore a pepsi and he had at least one comment on it every week, usually a joke that he was paid too much.

Regards

Mick
Old 14 June 2014, 01:08 AM   #80
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
gents try to be more inner-directed as opposed to outer-directed. you'll be much better off. (outer-directed means placing very high importance on how other people see you. it's basically self-inflicted, harmful slavery)
Old 14 June 2014, 03:44 AM   #81
Docar
"TRF" Member

Icon6

This thread needs to be followed with one asking:

"Do you think it's okay for me to wear my Rolex on the job?"

Or, the always popular:

"What will people think if I wear my a Rolex in public?"
Old 14 June 2014, 04:02 AM   #82
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Vast majority of people won't notice. Most people don't care about watches.
Old 14 June 2014, 04:07 AM   #83
submariner123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen View Post
loll
Old 14 June 2014, 04:14 AM   #84
novan3
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I'm an incredibly attractive man, not trying to be arrogant, but anything I wear usually gets noticed. It's annoying.
Old 14 June 2014, 04:44 AM   #85
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
As for others noticing my watch I imagine some do and keep it to themselves. As in over 7 1/2 years I have only had two people ask me about my watch. Now as for me, I have enjoyed watches for over 50 years and have checked the wrists of others for many years to see what they are wearing. Most of the time I too keep it to myself unless they see me looking at their wrist and then if they ask me what I am doing I tell them I am admiring their watch. This usually puts most people at ease because I always compliment them on their choice of watches regardless of what they are wearing.....

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Old 14 June 2014, 05:50 AM   #86
rustyduck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion View Post
As for others noticing my watch I imagine some do and keep it to themselves. As in over 7 1/2 years I have only had two people ask me about my watch. Now as for me, I have enjoyed watches for over 50 years and have checked the wrists of others for many years to see what they are wearing. Most of the time I too keep it to myself unless they see me looking at their wrist and then if they ask me what I am doing I tell them I am admiring their watch. This usually puts most people at ease because I always compliment them on their choice of watches regardless of what they are wearing.....
This has been my approach but not for 50 years.
Old 14 June 2014, 05:51 AM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novan3 View Post
I'm an incredibly attractive man, not trying to be arrogant, but anything I wear usually gets noticed. It's annoying.
awww, poor baby.....my heart bleeds for you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 14 June 2014, 05:56 AM   #88
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Sub goes pretty much under radar...had a few people comment to how shiny a SS daytona is
Old 14 June 2014, 06:17 AM   #89
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
"wrong" according to who... if I buy a Rolex because I want to show off then that is the right reason for me?

Personally I don't like people to notice, when I had a very expensive sports car, I was actually uncomfortable with all the attention I got.

No wrong reasons to own a Rolex.
You don't really wear a Rolex to show off? Do you?
I don't know anyone who would think that was a good reason.
I we just travel in different circles.
Old 14 June 2014, 07:41 AM   #90
bparone
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, DJII, Smstr
Most do not notice. However, you'd be surprised at how many people have a rudimentary knowledge of watches, in particular Rolex.

I was in Luzern a few times in the last couple of weeks and visited the Omega, JLC, and Rolex boutiques because they're all within throwing distance of each other on the high street (Bucherer for Rolex), along with Tag, Hublot, and literally any other manufacturer worth, or not worth, mentioning. The Rolex boutique said that by far the most requested watch, not the highest volume seller, was the Sub LVc. In Luzern, all the boutiques provide Japanese/Cantonese/English/European signage/language because it's mostly a global market there due to the tourists. The point is that many many many people around the world know what an LVc is, and the Rolex boutique is by far the busiest so, people do have a rudimentary knowledge in order to care (exhibited by visiting) or to know what an LVc is. It's still a smaller percentage who are 'in the know', to even a smallest extent, but it may be more than one realises.
Closed Thread