The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2014, 06:53 AM   #61
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Anyone looking to sell their Rolexes at 70% off now before they plummet to 80% off, PM me. I'm a buyer.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:57 AM   #62
14060m
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 , 16233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

The man is a fool and should stick to talking about what he knows.

Most of us have a mobile phone, a tablet and a home PC when in reality we could make do with one.

We only really need one Rolex but many people have a dozen.

All that will happen is that we will buy his product as well as wearing a mechanical watch.

You did not buy your Rolex to tell the time, or swim in, or explore jungles etc, you bought it because it is a piece of mechanical art and that will continue.

Regards

Mick
agreed
Old 10 September 2014, 07:08 AM   #63
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
While I'm a bit underwhelmed after following Tim's presentation, the wrist is some pretty valuable real estate. Not too shabby for a "first generation" device as far as a more practical solution (versus pulling your phone out of your pocket every time there's a buzz). The ability to pay for stuff and serve as a bio metric capture device is also interesting when looking at the numbers of folks wearing fuel bands, up bands and the like.

I suspect that within a few years and two or three more revisions, a significant % of smart phone using folks will be finding this concept as appealing
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 07:55 AM   #64
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Ask any person who doesn't wear a watch why and they'll say "because I can just check my iPhone." How does this same logic not play out here? Everything the apple watch does my iPhone will do as well, and much more conveniently I'm willing to bet
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:23 AM   #65
carreramay
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschneid View Post
Ask any person who doesn't wear a watch why and they'll say "because I can just check my iPhone." How does this same logic not play out here? Everything the apple watch does my iPhone will do as well, and much more conveniently I'm willing to bet
Not only the above, but since you have to have an iPhone with you for the thing to work, the convenience of the watch is even less. Now you have to carry your iPhone for your watch to work.
carreramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:25 AM   #66
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
This subject has been beat to death. The truth is that smartwatches have a completely different appeal than mechanical watches. Thus, the two types can coexist and our friends in Switzerland, Japan and Germany can sleep well. Anybody who believes otherwise should help himself to a book on business strategies.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:37 AM   #67
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

The pebble design is very "1st gen-ish". Will certainly pass on it.

IMO, most of the concepts trumps it, especially this:

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:45 AM   #68
Danex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Seems the apple device we is not a watch in the sense that I think of it. Instead it is a wearable computing device worn on the wrist, and oh by the way it can tell time. Honestly don't see any reason to talk about it on this section of TRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

116520 Cosmograph Daytona
116622 & 16622 Yacht-Master
114060 & 14060 Submariner
Danex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:49 AM   #69
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Tethering (requiring an iphone) makes it no longer a watch, but an iphone accessory
(like a bluetooth headset). Totally different market.
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 10:29 AM   #70
petee1997
"TRF" Member

What is the point of the iwatch if it needs the iPhone to operate. I was under the impression it could replace my iPhone. Just lost interest.
petee1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 10:40 AM   #71
mkw
"TRF" Member

Watch: RB GMT II 3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
What is the point of the iwatch if it needs the iPhone to operate. I was under the impression it could replace my iPhone....
that's next , later in the decade ...but in the mean time , the consumer first needs to get conditioned to using wrist devices ( albeit tethered )
mkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 10:49 AM   #72
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkw View Post
that's next ...but the consumer needs to get conditioned using wrist device first ..you know, you have to learn to walk before you learn to run ...all about product roll outs over as long a period of time to keep them coming back

I don't see consumers accepting the watch as a replacement for the phone. Screens not big enough, can't easily hold it up to your ear and talk at the same time, can't operate a keyboard with two hands when it's on the wrist of one, and given its limited size it will never pack the processing punch that can be crammed into your phone. Besides the fitness app (which already exists) I don't see much in it that won't just be a convenient way to monitor what's happening with your phone, like when you're driving or something.

One other thing - did Apple make any sort of claim about the battery life of this new device? Interesting that I've not heard this being addressed.
Old 10 September 2014, 10:50 AM   #73
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
Oh, PUHLEEZE! Those "things" will fail ultimately to attract even non-WIS types. It's a fad, but a redundant one since most of the folks comprising the potential market have time sources on their phones and tablets. Moreover, the watches themselves are too small for any meaningful use; IMHO, they will not be able to compete with existing devices. Fortunately for we TRFers, the whole concept is a moot point ... Thank the good Lord.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 11:28 AM   #74
josephvman
Banned

I don't think it's a fad, but I can't see it putting a dent in the high-end wristwatch segment. I can however see one of the major watch brands jumping in with Apple to produce something that appeals to tech geeks and WIS's. If you can't use it as a phone without actually carrying a phone around with you, then I'm not sure it's much more than a glorified workout monitor. Even with a phone, you either need headphones or you have to walk around talking on the speakerphone, which annoys me to no end when I see it.

I do admire the styling and the thought that they put into the strap system and straps they're offering, and the "crown" interface is quite well done. The one thing that could get me to buy one just to play with it would be if someone offered apps that would recreate the dials of classic watches. You have to admit it would be pretty cool to switch between a Paul Newman Daytona dial to a Patek Nautilus or a vintage Panerai!

I suspect a lot of the success will ultimately depend on pricing. The carrier contracts subsidize a large part of the iPhone pricing structure, and the Watch will have to stand on it's own as far as price. The younger generation who doesn't wear a watch now probably isn't going to spend $400-500 for one of these, in addition to the $300-400 that most everyone ends up spending every few years for a new phone. The Android-based "smart watches" have pretty much bombed in the marketplace, in spite of the fact that the Android operating system has made huge gains agains Apple iOS. The wild-card is that this thing is Apple, and that brand is capable of getting consumers to part with ridiculous amounts of money for products that more or less do what competitive products that sell for significantly less do, and that is practically magic.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 11:30 AM   #75
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
No way!
Old 10 September 2014, 11:35 AM   #76
Vetteman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
This will be the most popular dial..... You can show everyone Uranus

114210 M Serial Blue 3-6-9 Sticks
115200/210 M Serial Black / White Dial Stick Markers
Vetteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 11:42 AM   #77
josephvman
Banned

I believe the term is "iLostinterest".

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
What is the point of the iwatch if it needs the iPhone to operate. I was under the impression it could replace my iPhone. Just lost interest.
Old 10 September 2014, 11:42 AM   #78
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Does anyone know what time it is? I'm charging my rolex

Said no one ever
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 11:52 AM   #79
josephvman
Banned

i kind of feel the same way about real breasts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Submariner View Post
A woman I know said to me recently that her and her friends are secretly leery of any man who wears plastic devices on their wrist. She said there is nothing sexier on a man than a real watch......

I'll go with that...
Old 10 September 2014, 11:53 AM   #80
flv112
"TRF" Member

Utmost redundancy to have an iPhone and an Apple Watch. Having an iPhone (or any smart phone) on hand, and a Rolex on your wrist is still the best combo, IMHO.
flv112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 02:11 PM   #81
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I phone in my pocket, MacBook Pro on my desk.....Rolex or Panerai on my wrist.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 02:22 PM   #82
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
My Pocket is for the Phone and my Wrist is for the Watch.
Old 10 September 2014, 03:29 PM   #83
sigguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller
Entry level is $349 in US. Bet the straps and bracelets are extra, as will be the
fancier models (gold plated!) Probably get to $600-700 easily. No indication of
battery life yet; that's been a drawback for the other entries in the market.

Minute repeater would be a fun app to write.
sigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 05:25 PM   #84
second time
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Just another piece of disposable junk, with built in obsolescence. Pretty soon the gadgets will be using us.
Old 10 September 2014, 05:38 PM   #85
Degas
"TRF" Member

"Apple Watch: Much ado about nothing"

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/a...about-nothing/
Degas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:19 PM   #86
xjeeunitx
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah right... I would never get one of those smart watches.
xjeeunitx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:31 PM   #87
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Those smart watches are a mess. Why would I want to spend time tapping at my wrist all day. And if I want to know what the weather is doing I'll just look out of the window.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 06:50 PM   #88
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

http://tumblr.hodinkee.com/post/9707...t-flint-center hmm, my watch does feel a little old fashioned today :) I'm sure I'll get over it. There is something to be said for simplicity. A lot of fear and denial around the various forums and blogs today, quite amusing.
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 08:11 PM   #89
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
1st Gen Iwatch no way to soon to jump on that band wagon, get rid of my Rolex watches, not in this lifetime. Is the smart watch the future yes.

The aps (possibilities) are endless. Medical aps to monitor your health, detect disease in early stages, alarm aps to arm your home alarm systems, keyless aps to start your car, monitor car issues, repairs , track your kids with their watches, there is some serious money to be made here. Why not?

What worries me are the future generations, if they don't see a use for mechanical watches or if they are viewed as obsolete then Rolex must adapt or die. We are Rolex buyers for the next 30 years, as we start to die off, or have limited incomes (retired not working) we will not be buyers for Rolex.

Besides who knows if a SS Sub is $17,000 in the next 20 to 30 years Rolex will have put themselves out of business. IMHO
Old 10 September 2014, 08:33 PM   #90
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Being in my twenties I have to say real watches aren't going anywhere. I have more and more friends doing what I did 4 yrs ago and getting rid of their TVs. I don't mean canceling cable but actually selling their TVs. We keep internet and smart phones but but buck tv and such. We are slowly leading more active lifestyles. Smart watches are not built for that. They are not as robust as a sub or GSAR etc. I think you will see a sub-set of us with them but the bulk will retain a regular watch even if only a Timex

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote