The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2015, 01:24 AM   #61
myc ritz
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Speedy, Rolex
You don't need to make a lot of money to own a Rolex. Now if the dealer was wearing a 5970, that could get the wheels turning...about how I can work with him!
myc ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 01:24 AM   #62
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
these questions always puzzle me..

I've been wearing Rolex for decades and hardly anybody who isn't a watch fan even knows what a Rolex looks like.

To think that somebody will "respond" to you in any fashion because of the watch on your wrist approaches arrogance
Old 4 July 2015, 02:01 AM   #63
s14roller
"TRF" Member

As with most situations, depends on your attitude. If you're a cool dude, having a new timepiece can only help.

The majority of people walking into a Lexus dealership probably will never notice any watch to begin with (maybe different if it was a TT/Gold watch, and would keep that at home).
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:05 AM   #64
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
what about when the salesman selling you your steel sub is wearing a platinum masterpiece
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:13 AM   #65
SecondAmend
"TRF" Member

Most people don't take note of what watch, if any, is being worn by others.
SecondAmend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:22 AM   #66
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'm in auto sales also and if I have a customer that even knows what my watch is then he would appreciate it and it's conversation topic.
The one or two that would see it as I make to much money then they probably can afford the car im selling anyway.
Most sucessful people appreciate the sucess of others I think. So majority of your clients should appreciate it. Or they won't care.
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:23 AM   #67
Buschy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Also my suunto get noticed and complimented 100 times more then my rolex.
Buschy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 03:13 AM   #68
tedscott3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Some people will care and some won't. I know business owners and sales guys who own really nice watches and don't wear them around customers. It just matters if you care or not that it will turn a certain amount of customers off. I would also think a certain amount would also appreciate the nice watch.
tedscott3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 03:25 AM   #69
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
"We are not rich by what we possess but by what we can do without."
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 03:37 AM   #70
gontomt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdub1776 View Post
I am a Master Certified MB Service Advisor. I started off in the car wash more than a decade ago while in H.S. at the same dealership and worked my way up. Back in the day the dealership use to reward you with a brand new SS Rolex of your choice after 10 years of dedication. Unfortunately they no longer do this. This year I celebrated my 10 year venture and my wife assisted me with picking up my Rolex BLNR that I have wanted ever since its release at Baselworld. I wear it daily with pride and appreciate what it stands for. Hard work and determination really do pay off if you put your mind to it. I have had a few clients notice my watch and have had nothing but nice compliments on it. When I tell them my story, they are delighted they have been part of my success.

I like this story.

Still, unfortunately, not everyone will get to hear the story, and some won't get it even if they did hear it.

A man with two watches never knows what time it is.
gontomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 04:07 AM   #71
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If they can read that tiny little font on your watch, they're sitting too close!
Old 4 July 2015, 04:20 AM   #72
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I can easily see someone like your sales manager who knows what a Rolex looks like and knowing they don't come cheap, assuming others may be put off by a salesperson wearing a Rolex. From the average consumer's perspective who likely can't differentiate between a Rolex and Invicta, they might be more put off by the Invicta just because it is large and yellow so it must be expensive.
Personally, I don't care what the salesperson is wearing. They may be flush with cash or in debt up to their eyeballs to wear whatever they are wearing. I'm willing to pay a certain price for a car or other items based on the market and what they are worth to me. If the seller is happy with the price and I am too, we have a deal.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 04:56 AM   #73
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

If anything, seeing a car salesman with a Rolex makes me feel less guilty about cutting into his commission during the negotiating process.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 04:58 AM   #74
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I use to get this in my job back in the day. I use to tell my clients, hey, I'm single with a small mortgage with no family or crazy bills and then they understood.

I think they were more jealous that I didn't have the crazy responsibilities as they did once I explained it to them.

Wear it in good health and keep on selling.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 05:09 AM   #75
Sausalito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
I wish that was the case. Most of our sales are "Minimum Commission" deals even when we sell a $100k car because of the internet people shop prices so there isn't a huge profit unless you are buying something very rare or exotic.
There is HUGE profit for the dealer. Dealers sing poor all day long, and then drive their $100K car to their 10,000 sq ft mansion. For 10 years I worked for a major vehicle manufacturer and had access to the computer systems for dealers across the USA. Don't let them fool you. Many of these dealers had helicopters, Ferraris, Lambos, and even private jets.
Sausalito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 05:37 AM   #76
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I'm a salesman, it hasn't made any difference, no one notices.
Old 4 July 2015, 05:46 AM   #77
Munch520
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/Cermit/SM300
Does it makes you nervous when a Salesman you are working with wears a Rolex?

A customer would have to be pants-on-head stupid to think that the attire of a salesman has anything to do with the competitiveness, or lack thereof, of your dealership.

By that logic you guys should ditch the marble-clad showroom and sell out of a trailer on a dirt lot. Facility overhead surely has more bearing than your accessories.

Thanks to the Internet, most dealerships I'm aware of are on a pretty level playing field. With maintenance packages, loaner options, etc being the differentiator.

Sent from my iPhone6
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 05:48 AM   #78
adamlea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 216570 Blk
If I worked in sales, and someone took issue with my watch - for whatever reason - I'm not sure I'd want to sell to them anyway.
adamlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 06:00 AM   #79
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

To the extent the watch indicates the salesperson is successful, I'd probably seek out the one that had the Rolex on. Ultimately no one on commission is buying a Rolex because they got me to pay a few hundred more than I may have had to. More likely it's because they move a lot of merchandise, and that is usually because they are good at what they do, including satisfying the customer. Of course there may be exceptions to this. Might not be so receptive to a guy knocking on my door to sell me aluminum siding with a Patek on his wrist. However, that holds true even if he was wearing a Timex.
Old 4 July 2015, 06:01 AM   #80
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I'm a salesman, it hasn't made any difference, no one notices.
Yeah, ultimately, most people don't know a Rolex watch from anything else out there, although, I guess that may not be true at a high end car dealership, but I find that to be the case most of the time.

Oddly enough, it seems that the people that notice my Rolex the most are salespeople when I'm in a store or at a dealership, so, if anything, I'm probably the one that shouldn't be wearing the Rolex.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 06:08 AM   #81
mjm800
"TRF" Member

Seriously. These threads, am I too young, is it safe, what will my boss think, can I met woman.

The only time wearing a Rolex is bad is when your the guy that makes sure everyone knows you're wearing one.
Old 4 July 2015, 08:01 AM   #82
njbeizai
"TRF" Member

When I purchased my Mercedes I had a long conversation with the finance department guy about his Cartier watch and his collection. In my opinion, it can do nothing but positive things.

To whom much is given, much is tested.
njbeizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:02 AM   #83
njbeizai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
Seriously. These threads, am I too young, is it safe, what will my boss think, can I met woman.

The only time wearing a Rolex is bad is when your the guy that makes sure everyone knows you're wearing one.
also, this

To whom much is given, much is tested.
njbeizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:06 AM   #84
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desibaba View Post
Does it makes you nervous when a Salesman you are working with wears a Rolex?
No
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:13 AM   #85
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
Just bought an Audi
The bmw sales rep had a navitimer
The Audi rep had a something or other
In the end I knew what I wanted for a car and a trade
The watch had nothing to do with the deal
Pricing is pretty transparent on cars and hard negotiations lead to mini deals for reps
If a sales professional can still afford a Rolex then that means he moves volume which means getting to the bottom line
I would totally buy from a Rolex guy
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:15 AM   #86
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
Just bought an Audi
The bmw sales rep had a navitimer
The Audi rep had a something or other
In the end I knew what I wanted for a car and a trade
The watch had nothing to do with the deal
Pricing is pretty transparent on cars and hard negotiations lead to mini deals for reps
If a sales professional can still afford a Rolex then that means he moves volume which means getting to the bottom line
I would totally buy from a Rolex guy
Winner!!!!!!
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:17 AM   #87
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

I've been wearing Rolex for decades and hardly anybody who isn't a watch fan even knows what a Rolex looks like.

To think that somebody will "respond" to you in any fashion because of the watch on your wrist approaches arrogance
Gonna go with this !!!
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:39 AM   #88
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Agreed.

Many people judge their own self worth by what they want others to think of them.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 08:52 AM   #89
watchnutty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Yes. The average Lexus customer will see the Rolex in a negative light.

They couldn't care less if you're successful, They just want their reasonably luxurious car at the best price...and they will think you're making too much off of the sale...
this
watchnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 09:07 AM   #90
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I'm in sales. One time a customer noticed a Bretling I was wearing. I shrugged it off as being something I saved for for many years. Bottom line, I didn't get the sale. For those people who are not in sales, believe me when I say that a salesman wants to sell to everyone. Personally I leave my Rolex some where else when I go on a sales call. I have heard customers complain about this other salesman was wearing a Rolex. That guy was probably pretentious and the watch was the icing on the cake. For me, I don't take the chance. I save the nice watch for later.
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote