The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26 April 2017, 08:34 AM   #61
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerachrom12 View Post
While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree. In this particular instance, the OP was NOT notified of any Rolex policy regarding the removal of stickers prior to purchase.
He had purchased the watch, and it was his property. The dealer was out of line the way they handled this situation. If it were me, I would have been hostile in a matter of seconds and demanded the watch back into my hands or things would have been ugly. I have been into retail business many years prior to retirement. This is rule;
1. The customer is always right.
2. If the customer is ever wrong, re-read rule #1
This is where we go around in circles.

Everyone in this forum knows that there is an odds on chance that the AD will remove the stickers the moment the deal is agreed. On one side the AD is at fault for not stating that it is a condition of sale, but it is a bit sanctimonious for one of us lot to cry foul. We all know that stickers come off.

What is also wrong is that watches turn up in Grey Dealers with the stickers on, so obviously the AD who sold the watch to the Grey Dealer was acting out of order. We on the other hand can cannot criticise the Grey Dealer for reselling at well over RRP because some here think that leaving stickers on is ok. That is sheer hypocrisy.

Rolex, the ADs and also us lot, need to make our minds up on this issue, come to an agreement and then stick to it.

I favour the removal of stickers because the watch has left the AD with the first owner. Anyone who buys it after then, is the second owner and the watch should at that stage be stickerless.

Regards

Mick
Old 26 April 2017, 08:34 AM   #62
jackiechan1212
"TRF" Member

The AD in Malaysia did the same thing to my New Blue Pelagos after payment successfully made. Haha....
Old 26 April 2017, 08:39 AM   #63
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I just wouldn't have handed the watch back to him, it's not his anymore. I insist on sizing it myself as I'm more careful than most sales staff I've experienced and only then do I remove the case stickers.
Old 26 April 2017, 08:52 AM   #64
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
When I bought my 114060 last Autumn the manager of the UK AD asked whether I wanted the stickers removed or left in place. I left them on and took them off at home later that day. I did appreciate being asked rather than told but I somewhat agree with Mick's point that the watch is now sold and should be 'unwrapped'.

Maybe Rolex could stop covering them in stickers at all?
Old 26 April 2017, 08:59 AM   #65
Cerachrom12
Banned

Watch: ing you!
The nice thing about trusted sellers here on the forum is if you buy a BNIB watch and say you want it fully stickered you will receive it that way. No drama. Heck, they will even send it still packed up in the plastic shipping "coffin" if you so desire. Since these watches originate from ADs, obviously some are more lenient than others. There is no uniform policy.
Old 26 April 2017, 09:02 AM   #66
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
When I bought my 114060 last Autumn the manager of the UK AD asked whether I wanted the stickers removed or left in place. I left them on and took them off at home later that day. I did appreciate being asked rather than told but I somewhat agree with Mick's point that the watch is now sold and should be 'unwrapped'.

Maybe Rolex could stop covering them in stickers at all?
My prefered vendor does the exact same thing
Old 26 April 2017, 09:09 AM   #67
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This AD knew what he was doing. He was chancing it. Don't forget this is the AK which is not that popular at all let alone the sainted D500. If ADs are so adamant in following Rolex's directives then they should be equally adamant and professional about informing their customers BEFORE purchase of a sea-change in the way Rolex are now conducting their sales. We are not mind-readers. This was just a hustle, but they think they can get away with anything now and just expect customers to bend over happily and say thank you. More stories like this and Rolex and ADs will realise, monopoly or no, that they are in the SALES business and have to treat customers with respect, and not behave like a Russian Mafioso Oligarchy.
Old 26 April 2017, 09:27 AM   #68
rolexnub
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

Removing stickers is in everybody's interest and strictly speaking, the ADs should do it regardless.

This forum is stuffed to the gunnels with people complaining that some chancer goes into the AD. buys a SS model, keeps the stickers on and a week later it is on sale at some inflated price as brand new. If the stickers are removed, it is no longer brand new and the rip off price will not be as high.

Also how is the issue of a scratch resolved if the watch is returned with the stickers still on.

My view is simple, if you want to buy a Rolex watch, abide by Rolex principles and rules and if you don't like those rules, buy another make. When I buy a new Rolex, I expect to be the first owner and I also accept that the stickers come off, that is the system, live with it.

Regards

Mick

I agree.
Old 26 April 2017, 10:42 AM   #69
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerachrom12 View Post
with exception of the daytona500, rolex could care less about the stickers on watch. I would have demanded to see the "rolex policy" in black and white. They were full of bs and making up their own rules, imo
+1!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
Old 26 April 2017, 11:13 AM   #70
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
One side of the coin: Once you've paid for your watch, and the warranty papers squared away, it is legally your property; that includes the watch, box, assorted indicia that accompanies said watch and most especially the warranty card with your name on it.

While the sales person is taking off the stickers, and not letting you leave with your property until that's done, s/he is depriving you of your legal property and this is most probably actionable both criminally and civilly. There’s also the fact that while taking the time to take off the stickers, they are taking YOUR time. Time, you may not have if you need to catch public transportation to places elsewhere.

The other side of the coin: It a watch for crying out loud! Let them take off the stickers, tell them you’ll be back to have it sized after it’s gifted, take your watch winder and leave. It isn’t rocket science!
Old 26 April 2017, 11:15 AM   #71
Beauregard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahcivan View Post
I ended up taking the refund and walking out.

Moral of the story..... never buy from an AD with all the brilliant trusted sellers we have on here
Good man, and that's the truth.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:51 AM   #72
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
There seems to be a split amongst USA members and Rest of world, with all but a few USA members agreeing with the OP and all but a few ROW disagreeing with the OP. I agree with the OP fwiw. If they want to remove stickers tell you beforehand. Otherwise its adding clauses to a contract, a bit sleezy to me.
Old 26 April 2017, 11:57 AM   #73
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
One side of the coin: Once you've paid for your watch, and the warranty papers squared away, it is legally your property; that includes the watch, box, assorted indicia that accompanies said watch and most especially the warranty card with your name on it.

While the sales person is taking off the stickers, and not letting you leave with your property until that's done, s/he is depriving you of your legal property and this is most probably actionable both criminally and civilly. There’s also the fact that while taking the time to take off the stickers, they are taking YOUR time. Time, you may not have if you need to catch public transportation to places elsewhere.

The other side of the coin: It a watch for crying out loud! Let them take off the stickers, tell them you’ll be back to have it sized after it’s gifted, take your watch winder and leave. It isn’t rocket science!
Regarding the legalities.
I would like to see how these precious sticker preserving owners go with their high powered lawyers in prosicuting their case regarding their absolute ownership angle.
The results of the court case would be somewhat definitive I should imagine.
Or maybe Judge Judy could do it for the broader community to see.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:00 PM   #74
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Regarding the legalities.
I would like to see how these precious sticker preserving owners go with their high powered lawyers in prosicuting their case regarding their absolute ownership angle.
The results of the court case would be somewhat definitive I should imagine.
Or maybe Judge Judy could do it for the broader community to see.
He got a refund. They knew they did wrong. Fairly certain any cc company refunds and cancels payment for adding clauses. Beyond a simple refund, I doubt any damages. So what happened was right.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:02 PM   #75
And1dre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Unbelievable..glad you got a refund!
Old 26 April 2017, 12:09 PM   #76
bradyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Skip the dealer and buy from a reputable grey market seller online (or face-to-face). Easy and you'll get exactly what you want if you "buy the seller and not the watch". I've never bought a Rolex, Panerai, or any other watch from an AD and won't likely do so in the near future. Lame.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:11 PM   #77
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
There seems to be a split amongst USA members and Rest of world, with all but a few USA members agreeing with the OP and all but a few ROW disagreeing with the OP. I agree with the OP fwiw. If they want to remove stickers tell you beforehand. Otherwise its adding clauses to a contract, a bit sleezy to me.
That's the hell of it.
There's no contract perse.
It's implied, with assumptions woven into it.

Regardless there's a precedence that's been set with regard to pre-delivery processes and the common practice at car dealerships.
Also the many 100's of thousands of happy Rolex purchasers that walk out of the shop with their stickerless watches on their wrist all around the world.
The vast majority of whom have never heard of turf, or could care less about some weird cultural leanings.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:12 PM   #78
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
That's the hell of it.
There's no contract perse.
It's implied, with assumptions woven into it.

Regardless there's a precedence that's been set with regard to pre-delivery processes and the common practice at car dealerships.
Also the many 100's of thousands of happy Rolex purchasers that walk out of the shop with their stickerless watches on their wrist all around the world.
The vast majority of whome have never heard of turf, or could care less about some weird cultural leanings.
There is 100% a contract, after he paid it was his watch. If they didn't tell him the conditions beforehand they aren't part of it and they have no right to add clauses. Perhaps you should ask an attorney. It seems my answers aren't satisfactory but to me adding clauses is unsatisfactory.

I do however think part of this is cultural as seen by response breakdown by region.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:16 PM   #79
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

I would have Choke Slapped the guy. Not because I care about stickers, but because he didn't listen to you when you told him to stop. I bought a SD4k a few weeks afo from an AD in Delaware, the salesman (believe it or not was another Marine like me) took the stickers off, I was glad because I hate those annoying little things and do not have the patience to take them off. Then a few days later I bought a watch for my wife but from an AD out of state. They overnighted me the watch. They filled out the warranty card with my wife's name as I requested and sent me the watch. When it arrived it still had the stickers on. I was glad because it was a gift. In fact when I told the AD it was a birthday gift for my wife they even gift wrapped it (I didn't know they did that until it showed up today). Moral of the my store, if it is a gift I want the warranty card in that persons name and stickers on. If it is for me, I don't really care and they can follow their sticker rules. Rolex corporate must understand that a lot of their watches get bought as gifts and should me some sort of provisions for this. What ever it might be, like card must be filled out in someone's name befoit leaves the store or something... But if it is actually a gift, they must consider that reality and deal with it or someone like me would just buy a different brand as a gift and eventually it would add up to lost revenue. But salesmen that don't listen- Choke Slap....
Sorry for the typos, I have short little fat sausage fingers and my iPhone doesn't like them...

Last edited by dayusmc; 26 April 2017 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: Fat little sausage fingers...
Old 26 April 2017, 12:27 PM   #80
breitlings
Banned

Old 26 April 2017, 12:32 PM   #81
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He got a refund. They knew they did wrong. Fairly certain any cc company refunds and cancels payment for adding clauses. Beyond a simple refund, I doubt any damages. So what happened was right.
I'm not convinced they "knew they did wrong".
They attempted to placate the irrate customer by offering to throw in an expensive watch winder.
The customer was determined to stand his ground no matter what, win loose or draw.

I should imagine they thought they had dodged a bullet and breathed a sigh of relief the OP walked out.

The AD only made a mistake in the implimentation and execution of a policy whether it be justified or not is a matter between Rolex and the retailers to work through.
Retail must be awful sometimes. Especially when a premadona darkens their doorstep.

The matter was resolved to everybodies satisfaction except for the whining and complaining of the OP on the forum which was masked by pitching it to the eternally receptive forum members, as a shining example of how the entitled consumer should be sticking it to the wicked witches of the AD world one AD at a time.

All the OP did was cut their nose off to spite their face, and make work for themselves in continuing the hunt.
Perhaps the OP just likes the idea of endlessly going watch shopping.
And what of this so called gift?
The OP obviously has lots of time to plan such things and I hope the recipient enjoys the new watch when it arrives.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:32 PM   #82
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Funny thing I was looking at a watch and this subject came up and the AD said the same thing, apparently the removal of stickers was a Rolex rule since Basel 16 and the Daytona release.

I showed them a picture of how the AD gave me my Daytona still untouched in its coffin, the branch manager said if Rolex found out they would lose their AD status.

To which I said ok then did they want to let Rolex know as it was another one of thier branches
Ha! What was their response at that?
Old 26 April 2017, 12:39 PM   #83
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is 100% a contract, after he paid it was his watch. If they didn't tell him the conditions beforehand they aren't part of it and they have no right to add clauses. Perhaps you should ask an attorney. It seems my answers aren't satisfactory but to me adding clauses is unsatisfactory.

I do however think part of this is cultural as seen by response breakdown by region.
Please be kind enough to post your copy of the contract.
I'd be delighted to see it.

Thankyou
Old 26 April 2017, 12:42 PM   #84
AdaWit711
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Total right thing. I love removing the stickers! Silly AD lost a sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2017, 12:45 PM   #85
dayusmc
"TRF" Member

To be fair, the Law varies from state to state and from county to county... So that would make a big difference to the legality of it. But morales should be roughly the same- I paid listen to me of feel the wrath. But that is just my point if view and also the reason we (Marines) are used as a show of force.
Old 26 April 2017, 12:45 PM   #86
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Please be kind enough to post your copy of the contract.
I'd be delighted to see it.

Thankyou
are you suggesting contracts are always written?
Old 26 April 2017, 01:22 PM   #87
capacitance
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k, BLNR, PAM233
Good to hear you stood your ground. In reality, its more than just stickers, its principles. You purchased something and then when the transaction was completed they altered the product. Although frowned upon, when dealers raise the prices of certain watches they are increasing their profit due to their principles, it seems their right. As the customer, you are well within your right to receive the product in its entirety. If more customers did what you did, then hopefully dealers would appreciate cutomer service, especially for a high priced item. Cheers!!!
Old 26 April 2017, 01:40 PM   #88
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

It's cut and dry. By not telling you up front that stickers are removed before leaving the premises, they blew it. I'd surmise that they didn't do this until after the sale because they figured there was a chance you'd balk. Post sale, it is unlikely that anyone would go to the lengths that you did, which I wholly applaud.
Old 26 April 2017, 02:19 PM   #89
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I totally agree with you.....however I have an AD and I know the owner well. It's independent.

He confirmed to me that part of the selling process and "Rolex way" is that the watch is fitted and stickers are removed. He says some ADs may not stick to this rule but Rolex actually DO request that stickers are removed as part of the sales/sizing process. This particular AD insist on sticker removal as it is part of the Rolex way. He said I'm welcome to read the guide when next in the AD. I totally believe him on this and if ever there I'll take a photo of it if allowed. This is all to prevent "unworn" stock ending up on the grey market.

However I bought my Air-King from another AD (as the AD I know well didn't have one at the time). This other AD let me take it with stickers on.

Saying that, I'm not sure whether the person you bought the gift for would notice or appreciate the stickers....certainly if I bought a family member or friend a Rolex they wouldn't even expect stickers to be on it. With this in mind it's a shame you walked away from a great watch over stickers. A new Air-King with a free watch winder is a great deal and you may regret walking away from it....but who knows lol
When I got my BLNR from my local AD they sized and removed the stickers, I didnt even question it.

When I bought my Tudor from the same AD it came with everything intact.

I did however ask for the coffin for my BLNR and was given it without question.
Old 26 April 2017, 02:25 PM   #90
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
are you suggesting contracts are always written?
Not necessarily.
There are a number of factors to making a contract binding in a legal sense.
I would suppose a hand shake would suffice as well in some circumstances.

In the case in question I would say there was a clear lack of understanding of the term of the deal.
I would suggest.
This in of itself would preclude making any percieved contract binding on either party.
Closed Thread