The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 October 2008, 02:40 AM   #61
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the LV!!!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 02:53 AM   #62
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Wait a moment. We want to see some photos of that new LV !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun89 View Post
Thanks to everyone whom had replied. I have finally got the Submariner Date. I decided to get the 50th Anniversary. Thanks to everyone ! =)
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:04 AM   #63
shun89

Erm .. I am not sure how to upload the pictures. Can anyone help ?
shun89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:08 AM   #64
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Quote:
Thanks to everyone whom had replied. I have finally got the Submariner Date. I decided to get the 50th Anniversary. Thanks to everyone ! =)

Great! Hope you will be showing pics soon.

Tim
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:15 AM   #65
adr
"TRF" Member

Congrats !!
adr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:38 AM   #66
356 speedster
"TRF" Member

Gongrats,wear it in good health.
356 speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:42 AM   #67
shun89

Thanks. I have a question. There are plastic covers around the back case of the watch and at the side. Is it better for me to remove it ?
Old 30 October 2008, 03:53 AM   #68
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
nice choice! :) i am also in the same boat as you, my next watch is either sub no date or LV sub.

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 03:54 AM   #69
shun89

Thanks SirLoki. Oh .. Why is it call LV Sub ? Sorry. I dont know much alot Rolex.
Old 30 October 2008, 03:58 AM   #70
shun89

Upload Pic

Hi .. I managed to attached the picture. It is not very clear. Sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30102008211.jpg (53.7 KB, 334 views)
Old 30 October 2008, 04:20 AM   #71
Ken Cox
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
I consider the no date Submariner the most beautiful of all watches.

In the early and mid-1960's, the Marine Corps created a very small organization intended to combine the functions of the Marine Parachute Battalion - Marine Raiders of the late 1930's with the later development of the Navy's Underwater Demolition Team (UDT).

The Marine Corps called this organization Force Reconnaissance, or Force Recon.

The Navy created its own version of this organization, with slightly different duties and missions, which we know today as the SEAL's.

In the mid-1960's, I served with Force Recon and worked off of the Special Operations submarine Tunny, a WWII diesel-electric submarine converted to the mission of delivering Special Operations teams to various locations around the world.

During those days, and nights, we spent many, many hours in the water and those of us who could afford a watch capable of withstanding constant immersion in the ocean invariably chose the Rolex Submariner.

I could not afford such a watch at the time, or, I should say, I did not discipline myself to save up the money for such a watch, but I remember admiring this watch on the wrists of my fellow Marines and SEAL's and envying them.

Several of the British Commandos of the time, our Royal Marine Special Boat Service counterparts, also wore this watch.

Ian Fleming wrote most of his James Bond novels prior to and during this period, and, had James Bond really existed, he would probably have come out of the Royal Marine Special Boat Service, and he would have worn this watch.

The Submariner of that time did not have a date function, and it looked identical, to the untrained eye of my memory, to the present day no-date Submariner.

If I could put a present day no-date Submariner on my wrist, I have no doubt it would transport me back to the 1960's and the Special Operations submarine Tunny.

I can almost feel the darkened Tunny rolling on the surface, now, engines at full stop.

=====

(When I wrote the above, I did not know Shun89 had already made his choice. Congratulations on a stunningly beautiful watch.)
Ken Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 04:31 AM   #72
shun89

Hello Ken Cox ! Thank you for the valuable comment you gave ! =)
Old 30 October 2008, 05:03 AM   #73
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
An Excellent choice. I love the maxi-dial and if you decide to a black insert can be inserted.

Well done.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 05:04 AM   #74
shun89

Thank you. =)
Old 30 October 2008, 05:44 AM   #75
mretzloff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
Good job! Congrats

"M" 16610 Submariner
"M" 16570w Explorer II
mretzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2008, 06:44 AM   #76
shun89

=D

Last edited by shun89; 30 October 2008 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: wrong emotion
Old 11 January 2013, 03:04 PM   #77
Spooky88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello , I like the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner very much. However, i am not sure if i should get the one with date or without date. Hm , i would like to ask if it is true that Rolex started to produce Rolex Submariner 14060M which were COSC certified for a few months, than discontinued production of the watch ? And the watch is not producing now ? I would appreciate very much if anyone can offer me their advices. I am really quite new to Rolex watches. Thank you very much.
Hi Shun... I realize 5 years have past since you posted your confusion between getting the Sub No Date and the Sub Date. So, did you ever make a choice and, if so, which Sub did you get? The reason I'm responding now is because I find myself in the same situation as you were and went searching on the forum for answers where I found your post. As everyone knows, the new Subs are available, introduced in 2010, and I for one like the changes. However, the problem for me still remains, "Date or No Date?", that is the question. Perhaps there are some fresh thoughts out there in TRF land that can help...? Here's where I'm at: The price difference of approx $1000 is not an issue; I like the clean look and balance of the no date dial; I appreciate the date with cyclops as being iconic and a true indicator of Rolex history; I don't really need a date function but have been told I'd learn to appreciate and love it; Most conversations I've had with Sub wearers say "go date", mind you they were all wearing a Sub Date; I'm concerned that the date version is very popular and that most Rolex wearers own this watch, so it's not unusual; I'm also concerned that the no date will be seen/considered as a "lesser" Sub compared to the date version. I know I shouldn't care what others think about this but do appreciate any feedback from fellow TRF members who have experienced my dilemma with getting the Sub Date or the Sub No Date. BTW, this will be my first Rolex. Thanks everyone! James
Spooky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2013, 04:07 AM   #78
Cutterjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky88 View Post
Hi Shun... I realize 5 years have past since you posted your confusion between getting the Sub No Date and the Sub Date. So, did you ever make a choice and, if so, which Sub did you get? The reason I'm responding now is because I find myself in the same situation as you were and went searching on the forum for answers where I found your post. As everyone knows, the new Subs are available, introduced in 2010, and I for one like the changes. However, the problem for me still remains, "Date or No Date?", that is the question. Perhaps there are some fresh thoughts out there in TRF land that can help...? Here's where I'm at: The price difference of approx $1000 is not an issue; I like the clean look and balance of the no date dial; I appreciate the date with cyclops as being iconic and a true indicator of Rolex history; I don't really need a date function but have been told I'd learn to appreciate and love it; Most conversations I've had with Sub wearers say "go date", mind you they were all wearing a Sub Date; I'm concerned that the date version is very popular and that most Rolex wearers own this watch, so it's not unusual; I'm also concerned that the no date will be seen/considered as a "lesser" Sub compared to the date version. I know I shouldn't care what others think about this but do appreciate any feedback from fellow TRF members who have experienced my dilemma with getting the Sub Date or the Sub No Date. BTW, this will be my first Rolex. Thanks everyone! James
Spooky88, I just picked up my second Rolex Submariner two weeks ago (a Christmas present from my significant other). As I'd asked for---practically begged, really---it's one of the new stainless steel no-date Subs (114060). I didn't want the date for several reasons:

- You are spot on about how common the Sub-date is; the "true" Sub is both iconic and, in my mind, more distinctive
- If I need the date or day I look at my cell phone or a calendar
- Since this watch only shows the time, I may only have to use the crown to make adjustments two times a year---for Daylight Savings Time changes
- Fewer adjustments may mean less wear and tear (yes, that's a stretch)
- Fewer adjustments, less messing with it, make this my default, solid as a rock, wear-almost-every-single-day-for-the-rest-of-my-life watch.

While the Sub-date is beautiful in its own right, I honestly didn't even consider it once. And don't regret it for a second.
Cutterjack is offline   Reply With Quote