The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2020, 03:35 PM   #61
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
2X amen

With 24K I wi get just something high horology (PP, AP, VC) there some many high end watches just not a simple SS Daytona

Links please.
Old 21 January 2020, 05:08 PM   #62
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
A white Daytona isn't "worth" $24k to me. It is simply not at a level of horology commanding that price. Just because relatively few people are willing to pay that doesn't make it worth that to me, and I daresay I am not alone.

In fact, were the Daytonas plentiful at AD's far fewer people would want one.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:26 PM   #63
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
If I can't walk into a Rolex AD in my city (5mil + pop) and get anything I want at MRSP there is a shortage/issue with supply/scam - whatever you want to call it.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:48 PM   #64
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I agree with all of the above except for the items i have highlighted.
I’m beginning to think you have a crush on me. Your age is definitely showing as literally nobody finds you humorous, it’s as if you talk to yourself
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:00 PM   #65
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The OP has some valid points and the constant talk of price and availability does, at times, get tiresome. As stated earlier, I believe we confuse cost with value, and that maybe a personal decision. And some do not give a lot of space to others with a different view point. It is indicative of the watch times we live in for Rolex and PP so like many on here I wait for better times and different topics. It will happen, it is just a matter of when.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:40 PM   #66
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
It's called discretionary spending, no one HAS to have a Rolex. It's up to each individual as to what they want to pay for any Rolex if and when they want to buy one.

The market price is what someone is willing to pay you. Therefore what grays are paying you for a watch is the wholesale market value and what you pay a grey is the retail market value.

If in fact grays have stopped buying certain hot models means to me there is no wholesale value. If there's no bid for an item there's no market. The retail market value may hold up for a while as people continue to buy at retail market prices. But at some point it will change either up or down, I don't think anyone one really knows. Just too many factors are involved.

It seems to me the market is at a stalemate. Greys unwilling to buy your watch at wholesale prices but unwilling to drop their retail prices. Yes there are exceptions, a grey here and there may offer a low ball figure to get your watch below the current wholesale market value and some grey may offer somebody a great deal to off load some of their bloated inventory. But for the most part it's a stalemate. Which way it breaks, we just have to wait and see.

When the grays control more inventory than ADs and by defacto even Rolex, they control the value of the product. What an AD sells a watch for and what Rolex sells the watch to the AD for is not the market value.

So at your discretion you can pay the retail market value whatever it is at the moment, you can wait and pay under retail market value till your AD gets you one for MSRP or you can even wait for market value to get closer to MSRP. All up to you and all very simple really. No sense complaining about it, it is what it is.

The market will fluctuate as it has always has, it's up to you to determine when the market for the watch you want is right for you.

Don't look for Rolex to fix the situation either because they won't. As the head of PP once said when asked why don't you increase production on the Nautilus to meet demand, he said increasing the supply of the Nautilus would destroy everything. If you think Rolex isn't thinking the same you're not paying attention.

Like many have said here before as soon as something becomes readily available it somehow and suddenly no longer is as desirable. It's that discretionary spending thing I would guess.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:52 PM   #67
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
I swear this thread must be a wind-up...?
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:59 PM   #68
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Agreed.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:41 PM   #69
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
2X amen

With 24K I wi get just something high horology (PP, AP, VC) there some many high end watches just not a simple SS Daytona

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #70
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
It's called discretionary spending, no one HAS to have a Rolex. It's up to each individual as to what they want to pay for any Rolex if and when they want to buy one.

The market price is what someone is willing to pay you. Therefore what grays are paying you for a watch is the wholesale market value and what you pay a grey is the retail market value.

If in fact grays have stopped buying certain hot models means to me there is no wholesale value. If there's no bid for an item there's no market. The retail market value may hold up for a while as people continue to buy at retail market prices. But at some point it will change either up or down, I don't think anyone one really knows. Just too many factors are involved.

It seems to me the market is at a stalemate. Greys unwilling to buy your watch at wholesale prices but unwilling to drop their retail prices. Yes there are exceptions, a grey here and there may offer a low ball figure to get your watch below the current wholesale market value and some grey may offer somebody a great deal to off load some of their bloated inventory. But for the most part it's a stalemate. Which way it breaks, we just have to wait and see.

When the grays control more inventory than ADs and by defacto even Rolex, they control the value of the product. What an AD sells a watch for and what Rolex sells the watch to the AD for is not the market value.

So at your discretion you can pay the retail market value whatever it is at the moment, you can wait and pay under retail market value till your AD gets you one for MSRP or you can even wait for market value to get closer to MSRP. All up to you and all very simple really. No sense complaining about it, it is what it is.

The market will fluctuate as it has always has, it's up to you to determine when the market for the watch you want is right for you.

Don't look for Rolex to fix the situation either because they won't. As the head of PP once said when asked why don't you increase production on the Nautilus to meet demand, he said increasing the supply of the Nautilus would destroy everything. If you think Rolex isn't thinking the same you're not paying attention.

Like many have said here before as soon as something becomes readily available it somehow and suddenly no longer is as desirable. It's that discretionary spending thing I would guess.

Well said.
Andrew NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:51 AM   #71
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
MSRP stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. Key word in this case being suggestion. These watches ARE selling for market value.
Yeah, no.

This 'suggestion' you are talking about isn't really a suggestion. Otherwise AD's would be selling submariners to real wait-list customers out the front door for the so called market price you are talking about. They won't because then they could lose their AD status.

Rolex doesn't appreciate the grey market and has taken steps to stamp it out. All watch luxury watch brands do this.

Richemont even went as far as buying back stock and destroying it.

Come to think of it, I remember Panerai being just as hot during the turn of the century as Rolex is right now. Didn't end that well.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:52 AM   #72
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
You can buy a JLC SS PC for under $20k MSRP. Beautiful movement, advanced complication.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:54 AM   #73
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I’m beginning to think you have a crush on me. Your age is definitely showing as literally nobody finds you humorous, it’s as if you talk to yourself
I had to take him off the ignore list just to take a peek. Wasn't worth it.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #74
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
Yeah, no.

This 'suggestion' you are talking about isn't really a suggestion. Otherwise AD's would be selling submariners to real wait-list customers out the front door for the so called market price you are talking about. They won't because then they could lose their AD status.

Rolex doesn't appreciate the grey market and has taken steps to stamp it out. All watch luxury watch brands do this.

Richemont even went as far as buying back stock and destroying it.

Come to think of it, I remember Panerai being just as hot during the turn of the century as Rolex is right now. Didn't end that well.
Good point. As a car dealer I can tell you that many dealers mark up some hot models above MSRP. I am guessing Rolex wont allow this. For example I remember in 1996 Chevrolet was discontinuing the old full frame rear wheel drive V8 Impalas. The Impala SS model had an MSRP of around $26K. MANY if not all dealers who had SS models in stock (by the way SS in this case stands for Super Sport, not Stainless Steel) at any rate, dealers put on their own stickers right next to Chevrolet's MSRP for a price bump of up to $10,000.00 and called it "Market Adjustment" If Rolex let the dealers do that it would eliminate the grays overnight. BUT, The whining and belly aching on here would be aimed at the dealers so we would still have that.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:05 AM   #75
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

Rolex is no fun nowadays and I try to only do fun things.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:13 AM   #76
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:43 AM   #77
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
It’s unbelievable this watch is fetching that price.
I concur. You know, not that anyone cares what I think.

Quote:
(sig) Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Ha! I did enjoy that, thank you.

Reminds me of fable or allegory or whatev:

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:57 AM   #78
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
I 100% agree with you. I don't see the value there either...however as the market goes we are both wrong.

This

Look at the prices of Daytona’s from 1980.

Is it worth it or not ? You never know if the value of the Daytona we have today is 24k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:40 PM   #79
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had to take him off the ignore list just to take a peek. Wasn't worth it.
Right? He’s really weird, gets on kicks and will just comment on multiple posts with juvenile statements. I might just add him to ignore too, good call.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:19 PM   #80
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The only shortage is in one's wallet

Quote:
This whole idea if SS Rolex shortage is complete BS. They are everywhere selling at market value. If you want one, you can get one TODAY....no wait. The only issue I see if folks don't want to come off the hip..

For WIS, fairly true.

I think you miss the point that the vast majority of SS Rolex buyers do not want to deal with unauthorized sellers. They aren’t reading this - they are just switching to other Rolex models. And they are buying from ADs.

For WIS who don’t mind the secondary market, your supposition May be closer to true. But even among the WIS, many have a principle of not feeding the frenzy of growing price disparity vis a vis MSRP. And some have had disappointing experiences with sellers who are less than trustworthy.

Inside the walls of any AD, the average buyer is seeing a shortage of the SS models they want. Whales can get them, Greys can get them, the ADs Cousin Vinny can get them. But don’t delude yourself with nonsense - the vast majority of retail buyers who walk through the door can’t.

I shed no crocodile tears over this - their lives will go on - they can make better use of the $thousands that wasn’t spent on a Sub or GMT.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 02:00 PM   #81
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

I shed no crocodile tears over this - their lives will go on - they can make better use of the $thousands that wasn’t spent on a Sub or GMT.

True that. Anyone that thinks only Rolex can fill his wrists is most probably brainwashed by social media and the fixed scarcity at ADs. On the positive side of things, it gives these potential buyers the opportunity to finally look at other brands, or other hobbies.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote