The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2020, 12:14 AM   #61
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRISTROLEX View Post
My Daytona was shipped to me, with all it's stickers still on it. Just this past December. It was clear the watch wasn't changing hands any time soon and the AD knew this.

I peeled them off carefully, placed them on a clear plastic, and now accepting bids!
That would be the death sentence for my poor little AD if they got caught. You are right though had you kept the stickers on and placed it for sale you would’ve gotten 25K for it if it’s a white dial Daytona.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #62
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Yes - Confirm its true.

Each sticker has the serial from the watch imprinted and once received at Rolex HQ, they are cross-checked against AD sales records. This way they can also ensure that sports models are only sold in bundles with PM or to approved greys. Rolex also ensure that the stickers are disposed of in an environmentally friendly way or sold via Ebay to people who think they are more important than the watch itself.

This new and innovative process is expensive and hence the recent price increase.
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #63
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Cannot understand why it would drive you insane if the AD removed the stickers on the watch you was going to buy in front of you.As thats the only way you could really inspect the watch,as for the stickers they throw them in the rubbish bin where they belong after sale of the watch.
Agreed. I assume this sticker removal is to simply make it more difficult for people to sell them on now or later at a larger premium on the grey market, as clearly you'd likely get more money if it's stickered and obviously unused. In that it seems to me like responsible behaviour.

My most recent purchases, a TT SD43 and BLRO late last year both came fully stickered, but I voluntarily removed some myself at the AD and left others on (removed later), but I would've been allowed to walk with them full covered.

However, I'm with Padi, in that if you're going to wear the watch (which is assumedly why you'd buy it) I really don't see the issue of the stickers being removed at the AD, if for no other reason so you can check the finish of the watch in front of them. If I was an AD I'd prefer this to happen to avoid possible issues later.

As for sticking stickers back on, good luck with that!
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:05 AM   #64
mml4
"TRF" Member

Now that the removal of stickers is pretty much universal there appears to be overwhelming acceptance of the practice amongst the end user community. This for the reason there is not much one can do about it.
The only folks seeming to care about the presence of stickers is the predatory grey gouger dealers who have taken to up-charging their already usurious prices another $500 for the stickers. At that price the profit margin with regard to part cost is arguably the highest of the entire watch. Come to think of it Rolex may be using sticker removal as an introduction to a new marketing scheme. Watches will be offered with and without stickers for a premium price. Watches with stickers will be referred to as the "WIS" editions.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #65
Dr.Stu
2024 Pledge Member

Personally, I don’t get this whole controversy. The only sticker I have ever even considered leaving on (& even then it’s just for a few days) is the one on the case back. Otherwise, you could almost view it as a service the AD offers; have you ever tried to get to those half-stickers on the inside edges of the clasp-lock?

Also, with the way Rolex controls its image, you can see why they want the watch leaving in the box all shiny and pristine and not with the finish obscured by the plastic.

Yes, this is probably (definitely) an over-the-top response by Rolex and some of the ADs who want to show Rolex how important their business is to them & how well they take orders from the franchise, but I think it should really only bother those who are going to flip the watch or, I guess, those that are buying the watch to be a safe-queen for potential resale later. In the latter case, I can see it being more of an issue.
Dr.Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:59 AM   #66
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Well you are new here so I suspect this is all new to you. This whole stupid sticker removal thing has only been happening for the past couple years. I’ll tell you what though. You come to a Mayors in Florida, buy a Rolex and walk out with the stickers on and I’ll meet you at Ruth’s Chris steak House and buy you dinner. OK? If not you buy me dinner. Deal? We can talk watches.
Seasubmariner is the same guy who just posted he's afraid to get his Sub wet, which I assume was a joke, so I assume his overreaction to the stickers is a joke too.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:02 AM   #67
athom
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Sounds like he was taking the piss out of you.
agreed.
athom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:20 AM   #68
aurenas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strad View Post
I recently purchased a Submariner from my AD. He left to remove the stickers. When he came back, I jokingly said "Do you have to send those back to ROLEX?" He answered "Yes". I said "Are you kidding?" and he answered "No".

Has anyone heard of this?
Same thing with Harrods Tudor

Instagram watchauren
aurenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:50 AM   #69
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Since it doesn’t seem to be widely done... my guess is the ADs who have been caught doing nefarious things but are too big for Rolex to decommission are the ones having to do the sticker protocol.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:51 AM   #70
larryt
"TRF" Member

Bought a BLRO from my AD in a December. Stickers were removed. He kept the bezel protector as well, but I was not aware it was a thing as this was my first Rolex. In the future I will try to keep that al least.
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #71
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurenas View Post
Same thing with Harrods Tudor
Sounds like the default answer for these AD's (has to be sent back to Rolex)....I mean how can you dispute it, without knowing the deep dark secrets of those behind the screen...

Too funny! Wrapping paper on a machine!

However, one side case sticker did have a series of numbers or markings on it!
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:16 AM   #72
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
No offense but why would a person receiving a gift need stickers.

Because it will look truly new. For me no stickers is no deal. No other reason other than I want to peel them off and size the bracelet in the comfort of my home.
Old 26 January 2020, 03:19 AM   #73
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Rolex policy is to have the AD remove all the stickers at time of sale. They are supposed to be thrown away. I have never heard anyone say Rolex wants the stickers back.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:24 AM   #74
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Because it will look truly new. For me no stickers is no deal. No other reason other than I want to peel them off and size the bracelet in the comfort of my home.
Aren't the new watches now coming with lock tight from the factory. My AD has a machine from Rolex to ease the glue to size the bracelet. I tried to re-size a watch after I got it from the AD and no matter what I did I could not melt the glue. Had to take it back to the AD. I like just tightening the screws and would forgo the lock tight if it were my choice.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 03:24 AM   #75
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadmiral2 View Post
My ad removed side case stickers and said would I like a coffee so of he went and I put stickers back on.
H e noticed that I had put them back on and said he didn’t care it was only for his managers benefit.
Are you being serious? You reapplied the stickers for what reason?
Old 26 January 2020, 04:19 AM   #76
diharv
"TRF" Member

The whole AD song and dance schtick is getting really really stupid.
diharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 04:32 AM   #77
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Why worry about it...you can just buy new ones...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Watch-...oAAOSwEY1dzv-~

In all seriousness, if Rolex cares this much about plastics being removed, then how the hell do these things make it out of their double secret production factory?
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 04:40 AM   #78
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
If they take the stickers, it’s stupid. I’ve never had this happen to me. I’ve had some ADs give me the coffin and leave the stickers on and others remove the stickers and keep the coffin, but the most they’ve ever hung onto was the coffin (also a dumb practice—give the customer paying 10,000+ the stupid piece of foam and plastic).
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:05 AM   #79
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Seasubmariner is the same guy who just posted he's afraid to get his Sub wet, which I assume was a joke, so I assume his overreaction to the stickers is a joke too.
A bit overreact thats right mate. However as you can see from most of the posts nobody likes the leave the stickers the first day at the AD.
It might not be a dealbreaker but like I said it just disadvantage you if you decide to resell the watch just in case, or buy the watch as a gift for someone you love, he or she will not have a chance to see the watch with stickers.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #80
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Rolex policy is to have the AD remove all the stickers at time of sale. They are supposed to be thrown away. I have never heard anyone say Rolex wants the stickers back.

Rolex has more important things to worry about rather than stupid stickers.
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #81
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'm suspecting Rolex is trying to reduce their carbon footprint.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:13 AM   #82
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Bought 2 watches from Rolex Boutique. A Tudor GMT "they took all stickers off" I left the Boutique with it on my wrist.
Second watch was the Sea Dweller 50th Anniversary. Before delivery, the manager had told me that every SS Rolex case back is being engraved before leaving the Boutique also stickers off. He said this is a new Rolex strategy to fight grey flippers.
The watch came in, I went to pick it up worried about how the watch case back will end up looking after putting some letters on it but to my surprise, the manager delivered to me with all stickers on. I said wait, aren't you taking stickers off and engraving the back, he smiled and said yes but not you:-)
Old 26 January 2020, 05:27 AM   #83
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Pure craziness. Had an AD ship me the white dial Daytona with all the stickers on it. Walked out of another AD last month with a fully stickered Hulk. Told a different AD to leave the stickers on the clasp of my Datejust last month, no problem. But then a different AD pulled the stickers off the Daydate this month.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 06:36 AM   #84
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Aren't the new watches now coming with lock tight from the factory. My AD has a machine from Rolex to ease the glue to size the bracelet. I tried to re-size a watch after I got it from the AD and no matter what I did I could not melt the glue. Had to take it back to the AD. I like just tightening the screws and would forgo the lock tight if it were my choice.
Just use a lighter, it get's a bit black with soot but that washes off easy.
It needs to get pretty hot for the loctite to soften up.
Done this for years after messing up several screw pins
Old 26 January 2020, 07:43 AM   #85
rogue828
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
They don't want purchasers to turn around and flip with stickers selling as new?
rogue828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:30 AM   #86
pharma-md
"TRF" Member

The AD removed the stickers, placed them on an index card and asked another sales rep to confirm that all stickers had been removed.
pharma-md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 09:35 AM   #87
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Seriously Rolex is not collecting stickers . Saturday night live skit !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:14 AM   #88
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Hate the stickers and do not want to leave the AD with any of them still on (although we always seem to miss one or two.)

BUT I will be Got Danged if ever again I will let a non-Rolex tech (aka a hamfisted sales person) size my bracelet, damaging the pins and scratching the bracelet as has happened to me. I have had enough of that BS.

No Rolex-trained service person on site - I take the watch home as-is and do it myself, because I know how to do it right and have the proper tools. You HAVE to get that Loctite hot and very soft - that's the key.

I'd advise all buyers to carefully (use a loupe) to insect your watch before leaving the store, especially if a NON-Rolex-certified tech messed with it.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:15 AM   #89
10:10:31 28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116264, 116400GV
It sounds like this is not Rolex policy but the policy of some ADs. They are probably doing it in case Rolex comes to them saying a lot of flipped watches are originating from their store. "We took all the stickers off and took pictures of them along with the filled out warranty card. What else do you want from us?"
10:10:31 28 is offline   Reply With Quote