The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 March 2020, 06:25 PM   #61
Hotrod297
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
It's an obsession...LOL
Old 7 March 2020, 06:56 PM   #62
Kirsty87
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 36mm
Of course "gotta have it" is part of the problem. But why? Because we are social beings with an evolutionary drive that ensures we care about status/competition. We crave acceptance. We fear being ostracised. Our egos are fragile.

A Rolex is a non-essential item, that none of us would lust after if we were the last person on the planet.

Frequent buyers of luxury (and even non-luxury) items are addicted to the rush of the purchase. Others are looking to fill a "void" with material goods. There is an abundance of individual reasons for desiring such items, but it all boils down to evolution and our monkey brains.
Kirsty87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 08:26 PM   #63
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It's true some people just buy any crap. One Christmas I saw a lady walking through my local town centre carrying shopping bags and a brightly coloured plastic bucket with a Santa belt around it. She just had to have it I assumed.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 08:31 PM   #64
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I don't get all the abuse hurled at Rolex for being so successful! Would that I could run my business as successfully as they do.

The gotta-have-it mentality is pervasive and driven by many factors. Social media has a moronic obsession with "keeping up", flippers drive it, Youtube is just a joke, and the noise goes on and on....

What I have also noticed, and it seems to be increasing, is that not only watch sellers, but now even makers of accessories for storing, winding, working on watches, etc. have stopped talking about horology, tradition, beauty, aesthetics, technology, and started droning on about investment investment investment, and profit profit profit.

It will pass. It always does. It's getting so stupid that the "Emperor's New Clothes" point is hurtling towards us at increasing speed, but who know how far we still have to go?
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2020, 08:55 PM   #65
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I don’t get why people believe they know better than Rolex and question their practices. It’s astonishing. Buy or don’t buy, they don’t care, because if you don’t then someone else will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is online now   Reply With Quote