The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 April 2020, 01:44 PM   #61
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SN13 View Post
What happens when the panic selling starts is this:

The guys with 80 units at an average cost of $20k are F****D.

$1.6M cost (Good times (late 2019) upwards of $400k potential profit @$25k)....

Now they are looking down the barrel of a $13k MSRP and no Demand. A potential $600k liability if it drops to MSRP or below.

No one wants to take $600k hit just to keep YOU feeling good about your $24k overhyped purchase.

The prices will slowly drop. Some pieces will be bought at relative deals "OH I got my white @ $21k!" . . . but those will quickly look like bad deals as 2 weeks later the same pieces are at 20..... people will begin to notice and go "F***!" I need to sell this White for $19.5 before I lose $8k more! ....

Here comes the wave of private sellers trying to cut their losses.

Bam, $18k, $17k, $16k.

Those who bought 3 at retail to make a "10k" profit each begin to panick, "OH NO! I'm Going to Lose money!"

Here come the $14k, $13k sales threads just to be out of it.

Next thing you know you have 200 units on Chrono24 for under $15k....

Not moving. There's no profit in the flip....

When there's no profit, the speculators stop buying, the AD's stock replenishes and no one is paying ABOVE MSRP anymore....

Then you're seeing DaytonaC's at Sub MSRP.

Now, you can pretend that Daytona prices are not flexible and that they will always stay inflated, but unless ROLEX adjusts the MSRP to $20k tomorrow (LOL), you're going to see a painful bubble burst for these greys. The winners will be the ones who discount FIRST as they will be seen as "GOOD DEALS" before the trend sets in.

Once there's blood in the water, it will be a feeding frenzy....

And let the shorting begin!!! All the crazy threads before about how this was what the market demands can now be seen from both vantage points. Looks like we are at the beginning of a new market. If pricing drops and continues to drop on watches I’m all for it.

The fact any of us think that these watches somehow should hold value when they are mass produced is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 April 2020, 01:48 PM   #62
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:

Now they are looking down the barrel of a $13k MSRP and no Demand. A potential $600k liability if it drops to MSRP or below.

No one wants to take $600k hit just to keep YOU feeling good about your $24k overhyped purchase.

The prices will slowly drop. Some pieces will be bought at relative deals "OH I got my white @ $21k!" . . . but those will quickly look like bad deals as 2 weeks later the same pieces are at 20..... people will begin to notice and go "F***!" I need to sell this White for $19.5 before I lose $8k more! ....

Bam, $18k, $17k, $16k.

Those who bought 3 at retail to make a "10k" profit each begin to panick, "OH NO! I'm Going to Lose money!"

When there's no profit, the speculators stop buying, the AD's stock replenishes and no one is paying ABOVE MSRP anymore....

Now, you can pretend that Daytona prices are not flexible and that they will always stay inflated, but unless ROLEX adjusts the MSRP to $20k tomorrow (LOL), you're going to see a painful bubble burst for these greys. The winners will be the ones who discount FIRST as they will be seen as "GOOD DEALS" before the trend sets in.

Too bad we can't short the Rolex market, since Daytonas don't trade on the commodities exchanges. We'll all be very wealthy in a few months, now won't we. By the way, did you short the market a few weeks ago thinking it would be the End of Days?
Old 7 April 2020, 10:27 PM   #63
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Too bad we can't short the Rolex market, since Daytonas don't trade on the commodities exchanges. We'll all be very wealthy in a few months, now won't we. By the way, did you short the market a few weeks ago thinking it would be the End of Days?
LOL. NOPE.

I bought Exxon at $31 and Shell at $25 two weeks ago.

But what do I know. I took my 114060 fund and put it into the market.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
Old 7 April 2020, 10:41 PM   #64
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Softening, market correction, whatever we call it, it is happening.

I see 116500 w/ white dials listed for low $20s.

The 16520 market is also impacted. A reputable US jewelry dealer decreased their complete set A-serial from $30k to $24k in just 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramo View Post
Hi all, I hope everyone is keeping safe, I have been sat at home (UK) bored reading all the excellent post from you all, mainly post regarding prices of watches in the near future,

So I thought I would contact the main grey dealer in the UK to see what they would pay for the following watches 1, 2020 SS Daytona White Dial, 2, 2020 Daytona Yellow Gold Green Dial, I picked these two watches as I know they are hard to get watches and would get a better indication were prices are.

1 2020 SS Daytona White Face had a Estimate of £12500 to £13000

2 2020 Daytona Yellow Gold Green Dial had a Estimate of £22000 to £23000

Being this year watches I will presume older watches would be a less estimate.

I believe the prices have softened and would be interested in all of your thoughts.
Old 7 April 2020, 10:56 PM   #65
Milsub114060
Banned

116520/116500/16520 are all down by thousands and will continue to fall only the vested sellers will deny this
All precious metals and TT Daytona’s even worse crashes but all are heavy don’t let anyone tell you otherwise
Old 7 April 2020, 11:19 PM   #66
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Softening, market correction, whatever we call it, it is happening.

I see 116500 w/ white dials listed for low $20s.

The 16520 market is also impacted. A reputable US jewelry dealer decreased their complete set A-serial from $30k to $24k in just 2 weeks.
16520's... Zenith Daytonas.... they are a reaction to the lack of 116500.

For many WIS it's difficult to imagine cross shopping different models, but the FOMO Social-Media people want what's hot, and they want it now.

Enter 2016. Instagram is on a tear.

New DaytonaC announced. Everyone wants a "Rolex Daytona" but the 116500 is not available. Lists get longer, prices go up, $13k becomes $15k becomes $18k.

Non-WIS are desperate, "I need a DAYTONA! It's popular and hot.!" oh, there's a 16520 used sitting in the window for $12k, and I can have it now? Sweet.

Next thing you know, there's a demand for the "Not quite a 116500 but better than nothing, 16520 / 116520." Those WIS who look for the nuances in every watch say "Oh, Zenith Daytona Going up because: Discontinued" ...

No. This isn't a 60 year old small batch combo daytona worn by a Movie Star God (of his day).

People with New Money / Flashy money want the NEW the HOT the IN.

The demand is for the 116500.

The 116520 and 16520 demand are in response to the lack of 116500.

If you think that the ZENITHS are going to magically stay at $30k.... lol.

Given the choice, would you (or the general pop) spend $30k on a 20 year old Zenith or $13k MSRP on a brand new, AD sourced 116500? The answer to this question is what WILL control the demand in the near future.

Now reverse the question:

Given the choice, would you (or the general pop) spend $25k on a high-demand 116500 or $14k on a barely used 116520? The answer to this question is what DID control the demand of yesterday.

When the 116500 came onto the scene 116520 and 16520 were both around $10-$11k vs $13k MSRP.... They climbed as a result of the 2nd hand market fetching 16-18k early on for the "Reseller" 116500.

--- 1986 DD 18038 --- 1992 YM 16628 --- 2015 116600 SD4K --- SBDX001 MM300 --- 2009 Omega Ploprof White --- 2010 Omega LE LMPO
Old 7 April 2020, 11:26 PM   #67
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
LOL. NOPE.

I bought Exxon at $31 and Shell at $25 two weeks ago.

But what do I know. I took my 114060 fund and put it into the market.
Lol...
Old 7 April 2020, 11:55 PM   #68
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

15,400 USD for the SS Daytona and 27,000 USD for the green dial. You would sell it easily on private sale why even sell to grey lol.
Old 8 April 2020, 12:21 AM   #69
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Rolex Daytona 116519LN White Gold Oysterflex on ebay @ $25999 no papers. BIN with offers. Maybe would take $24500? Likely not intending to sell on ebay so no fees paid. So cash price could be $24500 possibly lower. Lowest price by a wide margin I've seen recently.

Edit: If it did sell on ebay though, fees are 10% I think..? So $2500 in fees and paypal fees are a few %. So could only net $23000 if it sold on ebay at full price??
Old 8 April 2020, 01:26 AM   #70
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Bam, $18k, $17k, $16k.

Wake me up when that happens LOL
No serous gray business paid $20,000 for a Daytona. Some piker speculators maynhave, so there are maybe 8 people worldwide. You'd best pay close attention to them if you want your dream to come true.

When prices were $24,000 (at Grey sellers, and I highly doubt a solid Grey was offering $20k) wasn't selling either of my Daytonas (MSRP purchases) I love to wear them and wouldn't consider selling unless I ever get sick of them (unlikely) no matter what the market price is.

Maybe there are people looking to lquidate because they are desperate, but they won't be selling to people here that predict prices are dropping below MSRP and won't pay asking price no matter how low it might be.

Why? The are desperate and won't play the eBay game of low ballets who won't ever pay anything. Time is of the essNece. Guess where that sale is going? Yup- to a trusted gray that will wire the agreed upon price that same day.

Bargain hunters won't ever obtain a Daytona from a pressured seller. If you see one you really want at a price you think is fair, buy it. If not, don't. I wouldn't bet on bargain basement prices for desired peices.
Old 8 April 2020, 01:35 AM   #71
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:

For many WIS it's difficult to imagine cross shopping different models, but the FOMO Social-Media people want what's hot, and they want it now.

New DaytonaC announced. Everyone wants a "Rolex Daytona" but the 116500 is not available. Lists get longer, prices go up, $13k becomes $15k becomes $18k.

Non-WIS are desperate, "I need a DAYTONA! It's popular and hot.!" oh, there's a 16520 used sitting in the window for $12k, and I can have it now? Sweet.

Next thing you know, there's a demand for the "Not quite a 116500 but better than nothing, 16520 / 116520." Those WIS who look for the nuances in every watch say "Oh, Zenith Daytona Going up because: Discontinued" ...

No. This isn't a 60 year old small batch combo daytona worn by a Movie Star God (of his day).

Given the choice, would you (or the general pop) spend $30k on a 20 year old Zenith or $13k MSRP on a brand new, AD sourced 116500? The answer to this question is what WILL control the demand in the near future.

Given the choice, would you (or the general pop) spend $25k on a high-demand 116500 or $14k on a barely used 116520? The answer to this question is what DID control the demand of yesterday.

When the 116500 came onto the scene 116520 and 16520 were both around $10-$11k vs $13k MSRP.... They climbed as a result of the 2nd hand market fetching 16-18k early on for the "Reseller" 116500.
Good post hope you're right! Been wanting a Zenith and would be happier paying less money then they are now. I held off cause I thought the prices were a bit rich. But lets see what happens, still very early in the game.
Old 8 April 2020, 02:05 AM   #72
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
I have an email from Watchfinder from Nov 12th 2019 offering £20,500-21,000 for a new white Daytona but this had dropped to £17-17,500 Feb 3rd. Corona hadn’t really had an effect on the UK’s buying habits by early Feb IMO so I think they’ve been well over stocked for quite sometime.
If I could get one for 12k I’d probably buy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
No serous gray business paid $20,000 for a Daytona. Some piker speculators maynhave, so there are maybe 8 people worldwide. You'd best pay close attention to them if you want your dream to come true.

When prices were $24,000 (at Grey sellers, and I highly doubt a solid Grey was offering $20k) wasn't selling either of my Daytonas (MSRP purchases) I love to wear them and wouldn't consider selling unless I ever get sick of them (unlikely) no matter what the market price is.

Maybe there are people looking to lquidate because they are desperate, but they won't be selling to people here that predict prices are dropping below MSRP and won't pay asking price no matter how low it might be.

Why? The are desperate and won't play the eBay game of low ballets who won't ever pay anything. Time is of the essNece. Guess where that sale is going? Yup- to a trusted gray that will wire the agreed upon price that same day.

Bargain hunters won't ever obtain a Daytona from a pressured seller. If you see one you really want at a price you think is fair, buy it. If not, don't. I wouldn't bet on bargain basement prices for desired peices.
Watchfinder was buying White Daytonas in Nov 2019 for 20k BRITISH POUNDS! down to 17K in Feb... per the 3Sheets86 above. (That's 24.5k USD and 21k USD respectively)

Now.... Another poster mentioned Watchfinder having 80 units in stock (116500).

Sooooo......

Old 8 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #73
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJuice View Post
Theres another thread that tracks the softening price.
If we do not discuss it hourly we may forget it may happen. Prices no longer skyrocketing upwards was in the cards no matter what. At some point the prices are no longer sustainable. Alternative use of the money overrides.
Old 8 April 2020, 02:15 AM   #74
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

In fact white dial Daytonas got to 24K used and the dealer buy point was about 20K in the US. 4K profit for a quick deal is not bad.
Old 8 April 2020, 02:29 AM   #75
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
^^^^^ This

PLEASE - this is all garbage

100%!!!

This thread resembles the stock market forums I sometimes visit.

Old 8 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #76
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
I'm pretty new but already getting jaded with all this investing stuff
Old 8 April 2020, 02:31 AM   #77
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
"Zenith Daytonas.... they are a reaction to the lack of 116500."

I disagree somewhat. i've been a watch collector for over 10 years (yeah, still a noob compared to more experienced members) but I do my homework.

16520s were in demand even before the 116500s came out... If anything, I think the Zenith movement alone attracts far more people to this Daytona model over the 116520.

plus, both models too entirely diff types of production runs. while the 116520 is a superior built watch in my opinion (mainly bracelet & movement bit not the dial), it was mass produced when compared to 16520s. Zenith couldn't pump out 4030s (& then have Rolex modify them) like rolex did w/ 4130s. Zenith also was selling the El Primero calibre to other manufacturers.

Now with everything I typed, I believe the majority of 16520s were overpriced but we can say that about 99% of watches made since the 1980s.

Quote:

Old 8 April 2020, 03:49 AM   #78
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Those prices quoted are just what they are willing to purchase at today. I think you have to take into account inventory turnover rates and the resellers taking into an account a slow down in purchases at least temporarily. That means less room for new stock. That though alone, imo doesn't mean the SS Daytonas won't just continue on their upward trajectories longer-term. The GMT Masters, however, imo should be much closer in pricing to Subs and Explorer 2 watches and probably will creep down some. The LVc is a bit ridiculous in pricing too imo. But Sky D and Daytona in SS are both long-term allocation items. With the reduction in production due to the shutdown if anything I think we see a V recovery in those while U shaped elsewhere. There will be less buyers of new watches, but also a greater demand for hard assets vs financial or currency assets, so we may see that effect have greater impact imo.
Old 8 April 2020, 04:22 AM   #79
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:

So, because people could not buy the 116500 at 13K from an AD, they turned to second-hand/grey 16520 at 25-30K??? And somehow missed the plethora of grey 116500s at around 20K?
Old 8 April 2020, 04:23 AM   #80
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Why do wishful thinkers think just because someone pays double MSRP that is the acquisition expense? If one is a trader/ flipper it does not necessarily mean you paid that out of pocket. I bought a BNIB BLRO, my acquisition cost was $18k US at the top of market, my out of pocket expense was just $5k. Cashed in a couple other watches at higher prices than I paid to offset my actual cost to acquire. Many people do just that. Any price drops are in USA dollars in most other countries/currencies prices are actually going up at this point. So everything is not as clear cut as some watch warriors think things are. We are currently seeing rebalancing currency trades as opposed to price drops based on lack of demand.
Old 8 April 2020, 05:05 AM   #81
SN13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
So, because people could not buy the 116500 at 13K from an AD, they turned to second-hand/grey 16520 at 25-30K??? And somehow missed the plethora of grey 116500s at around 20K?
That's not what I said, nor, what happened.

First, 16520's were steadily $9-11k between 2009 and summer 2016.

When the First Flips of 116500's started to happen and the prices of a Ceramic daytona Jumped to 16-18k 2nd hand, guess what happened to BOTH The 116520 and the 16520... they climbed up to 16k. They followed the Ceramics up.

As Ceramics climbed to 20, 25, and almost 30k..... the 116520's and 16520's did as well...

FOMO.

Fear of Missing Out.

If I don't buy it now, I won't be able to get one... It drove the Daytona's up across the board.

Old 8 April 2020, 05:57 AM   #82
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
There is a Sky D blue for sale local to me for 21k obo with the stickers still on it. Better starting price than the 24-26k I had been routinely seeing. I have come to realize that I am petty enough to have to have my name on the card. So it looks like AD or nothing for me unfortunately.
Old 8 April 2020, 06:07 AM   #83
Tell44
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 and 116500
This is fascinating discussion. I may be a 116500LN buyer, but looking for a bottom! iI was never going to pay 20k, but if these really fall to 15-16k im in, hope they drop so this enthusiast can finally get one.
Old 8 April 2020, 06:49 AM   #84
JK911
Banned

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
It is true. Bought mine last week from my reputable grey. Brand new unworn piece including everything.. i.e. original boxes & box sleeve, SC tag, Daytona booklet, warranty booklet, AD/SN card. Listed & normally selling around $26k. I was able to get it for $23,750. I bet some used pieces can be had for under $20k right now.

Not saying to take advantage of the rough times our world is going through, but there are deals to be had while they're out there.
Old 8 April 2020, 06:49 AM   #85
JK911
Banned

Watch: 116500LN Daytona
It is true. Bought my white dial 116500LN last week from my reputable grey (JAN 2020 DOP). Brand new unworn piece including everything.. i.e. original boxes & box sleeve, SC tag, Daytona booklet, warranty booklet, AD/SN card, stickers all intact including caseback sticker. Listed & normally selling around $26k. I was able to get it for $23,750. I bet some used pieces can be had for under $20k right now.

Not saying to take advantage of the rough times our world is going through, but there are deals to be had while they're out there.

Last edited by JK911; 8 April 2020 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Fixed
Old 8 April 2020, 06:59 AM   #86
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:

Sorry but you are flat out incorrect. I tested the waters back in December on a brand new but sized/stickers removed Daytona and was offered $20,000 and $20,250 by two of the larger and well known Grays. So I can tell you first hand THEY WERE paying $20k++
Old 8 April 2020, 08:44 AM   #87
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrider View Post
i'm pretty new but already getting jaded with all this investing stuff
+1
Old 8 April 2020, 09:33 AM   #88
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
Sorry but you are flat out incorrect. I tested the waters back in December on a brand new but sized/stickers removed Daytona and was offered $20,000 and $20,250 by two of the larger and well known Grays. So I can tell you first hand THEY WERE paying $20k++

Yeah I could see this happening back then. I mean think about it, if you could flip that watch inside of a week and make 2-3k that’s pretty solid.

Old 8 April 2020, 03:55 PM   #89
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
There is no spoon
Old 8 April 2020, 03:56 PM   #90
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK911 View Post
It is true. Bought my white dial 116500LN last week from my reputable grey (JAN 2020 DOP). Brand new unworn piece including everything.. i.e. original boxes & box sleeve, SC tag, Daytona booklet, warranty booklet, AD/SN card, stickers all intact including caseback sticker. Listed & normally selling around $26k. I was able to get it for $23,750. I bet some used pieces can be had for under $20k right now.

You overpaid and that grey is ecstatic
Closed Thread