The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 December 2020, 09:10 PM   #61
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Maybe find somewhere quiet so you can drink in peace

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 09:39 PM   #62
Goin2drt
Banned

I drink about 1-2 beers and and 3 old fashioned throughout the entire week. Never 2 on any same day. Like many have said above I think it is more about the folks around you and what they feel. If my wife said anything about my drinking I would shut it off and could shut it off easily no problem. I don’t really think I have any habit that I couldn’t do without I just don’t have an addictive personality. Caffeine would be the toughest but I could even do that if I had to.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 09:47 PM   #63
Phil t 32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Lol. Alcohol is designed for one purpose. Some wives don’t mind that other wives do.

The definition of alcoholic is so subjective that even attempting to discuss it is futile.

Until you’ve had a drink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil t 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 10:17 PM   #64
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have not had a drink in 5478 days. Sixteen years, short two days. I did not really like it that much to start with and decided with the second child that I would set it aside. What is funny about drinkers is they do not see the impact of alcohol on them or their relationships. Once I stopped drinking, many of my former drinking friends dropped me from events and hanging out. When I asked them about this several said I was no fun and they did not like being around people that did not drink. Take that for what it is but until you step away for a bit, you will not know. Give up the drinking for 60-90 days and see if you can. If not, you have an issue and it is not just the alcohol. Good luck, you are going to need it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:26 PM   #65
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
How much alcohol do you drink per day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have not had a drink in 5478 days. Sixteen years, short two days. I did not really like it that much to start with and decided with the second child that I would set it aside. What is funny about drinkers is they do not see the impact of alcohol on them or their relationships. Once I stopped drinking, many of my former drinking friends dropped me from events and hanging out. When I asked them about this several said I was no fun and they did not like being around people that did not drink. Take that for what it is but until you step away for a bit, you will not know. Give up the drinking for 60-90 days and see if you can. If not, you have an issue and it is not just the alcohol. Good luck, you are going to need it.

Yep. This is a good approach. Take a break. If you can’t, then re evaluate.

I have a significant amount of experience in the area. And no one thinks it’s a problem, when (many times) it has already become one. They can’t see it. I’m not saying you have a problem. But if you do, I would suggest that you can’t see it, when others can.

And read that book above. Or any book that can give you perspective. We are all unique, so comparing your consumption to others may not be helpful.

I love to see folks drinking and enjoying themselves. I pay the tab to help ensure folks do have a great time at events. I don’t drink, but I know that many people can and do drink successfully, across their entire lives. Hope your are one of that group.
Old 8 December 2020, 11:29 PM   #66
330ci
"TRF" Member

None, didn’t add anything to my life. Don’t miss it a bit.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:33 PM   #67
strikefreedom
"TRF" Member

None, I like the taste of water much more.
strikefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2020, 11:56 PM   #68
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
My wife and I drink about a half bottle of wine with dinner every night.

Every so often when we get crazy, we’ll throw in a couple of Martinis (shocking I know)

EDIT: OP, if your wife thinks you might be drinking too much, then it’s worth exploring ... once the question is asked it’s hard to ignore
That's one glass each. Very much acceptable and "healthy"
Old 9 December 2020, 12:00 AM   #69
Sperry
"TRF" Member

Zero. It was triggering the 'other' want, tobacco.

Plus, 30 years ago, playing 120 gigs a year, I was around enough booze to float a skiff. Taking every extra minute I have, not opening a beer or pouring a J.W. Black, not lighting up, not buying product, not needing extra time in the mornings, I still do not have all the hours in a day to get done what I want to do.

In 10-15 years, after I build my final home in the woods a mile from my business, I'll have a few beers out behind the house. Or maybe not. But right now there's definitely no want nor need.
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:14 AM   #70
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Typically just weekends; an Old Fashion Friday, some of Kentucky's finest on the rocks for Saturday, and a Red Stripe on Sunday.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:16 AM   #71
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Hardly drink at all. Several times a year is all.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:18 AM   #72
Gunna
"TRF" Member

10 years sober...here is my take from what I read. Your consumption is definitely on the higher side. If it increases, try and cut back....

Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:19 AM   #73
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD36
I gave up drinking. Seemed like after 35, I’d just get a hangover even if I only had 1 or 2. That being said... I’ll still have a drink if I’m at a social business function, but only 1 or 2 depending how long it’s going to last. I never even think to buy it. There have been days I’ve thought a whiskey on the rocks sounded great though. I just didn’t have any. If your wife is taking issue with it, then that’s a whole new set of problems. I wouldn’t be willing to have that battle.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:24 AM   #74
Paul7
Banned

None
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:31 AM   #75
Langnam
"TRF" Member

My wife mentioned a time or two that I should cut back, so I did.
Quit cold Turkey, certainly after having drinks every day for years.

That was nearly 1550 days ago. Never looked back, never fell off the wagon.

Drink now? F that!

I thought everything was fine back then, but man oh man, it cannot compare to now!

Take the wife’s advice.

Old 9 December 2020, 12:33 AM   #76
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
In my late 20's / early 30's I was probably drinking around that amount. I'm 35 now and that much booze just makes me move too slow the next day. Mostly brain fog and not mentally firing on all cylinders. Got tired of it and cut back. Now, I usually have a glass of bourbon sometime mid-week while cooking dinner but other than that, only on the weekends. Friday and Saturday nights. Hydrate well on Sunday and I'm fresh for a new week. I feel way better with this routine.

As far as your situation, tough to say... I know plenty of productive people that drink more than you. But I'm also not trying to be the one that defines what's a problem is. If your wife thinks it's too much, you should probably try pulling back. Hell you might like the results. Both in your mood and hers. Worth a shot at least.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:41 AM   #77
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I drink a significant amount more than you but no wine or liquor, simply beer. I never take a “hangover day” or mistreat my family in any way. I simply like “my beer”, some days I will have 0-1 and some days I will have 18. Alcoholism runs in my family though so the second I “needed a beer to function” it would cease to nothing. I’ve done this before when I was younger and quit drinking for almost a year entirely because after a few I couldn’t stop.

I believe your wife probably knows you better than we do and personally if mine ever said anything about my consumption I’d quit the next day. Luckily for myself she has no problems with how I live my life.

Also a quick side note. I’ve got high blood pressure, I was tracking it and one evening after having a few more than I wanted I checked my bp. It was incredibly low for me like 106/67 which with Max dose bp meds I get right at 120/80. I told my doc and she said that certain people alcohol has the opposite effect on and it can relax them to a state their bp goes down. I’ve got a really cool doc that just shakes her head and tells me to be responsible with it, not quit or slow it down.

YMMV but listen to your wife.

Very similar to you but I'm more of a weekend warrior. Occasionally I will have some beer during the week if there is a sporting event on or if I go out to dinner. But when Friday happy hour hits then it's at least a case of beer through the weekend. My father was an alcoholic and quit cold turkey 4 years ago when his liver was beginning to fail. He has since recovered and going strong.

My blood pressure and heart rate have the opposite effect and get higher when drinking. Damn shame.
Old 9 December 2020, 12:49 AM   #78
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Just remembered an incident after reading some of the answers here, I said that I used to drink about 2 bottles of wine some time ago, I went into hospital for some reason and was asked the question of how much alcohol I drank by the nurse, she asked me if I wanted support to stop drinking so much.
Holy moly. That’s a little scary. I remember during a physical probably 15 years ago for the first time they asked as a routine question alcohol consumption. I considered it for a moment and then answered none of your business. All that gets documented forever. It can be used against you in the future for life insurance or even medical insurance. No thanks. Doctors here and even ask you other personal questions about items we are not allowed to discuss here on this forum. That’s also none of their business.

I knew this discussion on alcohol consumption would go exactly as it is going. Peoples opinion on this are always based on their own personal consumption. If you don’t drink then you think people that do drink too much. If you drink moderately (well moderately in your opinion) you think anyone that drinks more than you has a problem. Or if you drink heavily then you think anyone else that drinks heavily does not have a problem. What designates a problem? I’m telling you this is a remarkably subjective opinion because there’s literally dozens of different inputs all depending on an individual‘s own personal consumption. That goes for the opinion of doctors as well. If you really look into it that’s all across the board and there is no actually agreed to amount in the medical community. I can tell you this no one can ever say that anything positive happened in their life from drinking. The best the person can claim is something neutral happened. The rest is all bad. I’m not gonna argue with anyone on this because I’ve seen too much. I can guarantee the world would be better off if there was no such thing as alcohol or other mind altering substances.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 12:52 AM   #79
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Nowadays, rarely. Only drink occasionally.

Before, everyday was an occasion. Maybe half a bottle of whiskey a night. Or one bottle of wine a night. Or a six pack of beer a night. But not everyday. Just almost. I have rest days.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 01:07 AM   #80
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Holy moly. That’s a little scary. I remember during a physical probably 15 years ago for the first time they asked as a routine question alcohol consumption. I considered it for a moment and then answered none of your business. All that gets documented forever. It can be used against you in the future for life insurance or even medical insurance. No thanks. Doctors here and even ask you other personal questions about items we are not allowed to discuss here on this forum. That’s also none of their business.

I knew this discussion on alcohol consumption would go exactly as it is going. Peoples opinion on this are always based on their own personal consumption. If you don’t drink then you think people that do drink too much. If you drink moderately (well moderately in your opinion) you think anyone that drinks more than you has a problem. Or if you drink heavily then you think anyone else that drinks heavily does not have a problem. What designates a problem? I’m telling you this is a remarkably subjective opinion because there’s literally dozens of different inputs all depending on an individual‘s own personal consumption. That goes for the opinion of doctors as well. If you really look into it that’s all across the board and there is no actually agreed to amount in the medical community. I can tell you this no one can ever say that anything positive happened in their life from drinking. The best the person can claim is something neutral happened. The rest is all bad. I’m not gonna argue with anyone on this because I’ve seen too much. I can guarantee the world would be better off if there was no such thing as alcohol or other mind altering substances.
I just noticed. That two bottles of wine was during a week. I missed that bit off. Lol,

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 01:08 AM   #81
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Thank you
Old 9 December 2020, 01:10 AM   #82
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
My wife mentioned a time or two that I should cut back, so I did.
Quit cold Turkey, certainly after having drinks every day for years.

That was nearly 1550 days ago. Never looked back, never fell off the wagon.

Drink now? F that!

I thought everything was fine back then, but man oh man, it cannot compare to now!

Take the wife’s advice.

I went "COLD TURKEY" 4400 Days ago on ALL meat's and also have never looked back. We all have had things that we decided enough is enough and cold turkey it.. I have never felt so fit and good ever since.. Congrats to you too..
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 01:19 AM   #83
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
I knew this discussion on alcohol consumption would go exactly as it is going. Peoples opinion on this are always based on their own personal consumption. If you don’t drink then you think people that do drink too much. If you drink moderately (well moderately in your opinion) you think anyone that drinks more than you has a problem. Or if you drink heavily then you think anyone else that drinks heavily does not have a problem. What designates a problem? I’m telling you this is a remarkably subjective opinion because there’s literally dozens of different inputs all depending on an individual‘s own personal consumption.
I think you're absolutely correct in that this is a completely subjective topic, and that everyone's relationship with alcohol is dependent on them, their family history, whatever switch inside the brain that controls dependency/addiction, etc. But I disagree with the rest. I think this has actually been a good conversation. Multiple people have acted the way you say they would, but I think more are contributing honestly and openly with understanding.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 01:32 AM   #84
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
If she stopped moaning then maybe you wouldn't have to drink as much.
Old 9 December 2020, 01:40 AM   #85
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
I just noticed, that two bottles of wine was during a week. I missed that bit off. Lol,
Either way look at the way they took it. Two bottles of wine a week and they’re asking you if you want counseling. Unreal. I hope you’re doing well my friend. Vaccines coming soon so hopefully life will return to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I think you're absolutely correct in that this is a completely subjective topic, and that everyone's relationship with alcohol is dependent on them, their family history, whatever switch inside the brain that controls dependency/addiction, etc. But I disagree with the rest. I think this has actually been a good conversation. Multiple people have acted the way you say they would, but I think more are contributing honestly and openly with understanding.
Like I said everyone’s opinion is based on their own personal consumption. Since you disagree with the rest of what I said name me something positive that’s happened in your life due to alcohol consumption. I would be interested to hear it. I understand that could be subjective as well like a business deal being closed or a marriage proposal being accepted but I can easily argue that neither of those two decisions should be made while buzzed or drunk. I guess my point is the negative to positive ratio of what alcohol has done to humanity has to be somewhere around 500,000,000 to 1. The amount of lives and families alcohol has destroyed must be incalculable.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 02:05 AM   #86
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Either way look at the way they took it. Two bottles of wine a week and they’re asking you if you want counseling. Unreal. I hope you’re doing well my friend. Vaccines coming soon so hopefully life will return to normal.

Like I said everyone’s opinion is based on their own personal consumption. Since you disagree with the rest of what I said name me something positive that’s happened in your life due to alcohol consumption. I would be interested to hear it. I understand that could be subjective as well like a business deal being closed or a marriage proposal being accepted but I can easily argue that neither of those two decisions should be made while buzzed or drunk. I guess my point is the negative to positive ratio of what alcohol has done to humanity has to be somewhere around 500,000,000 to 1. The amount of lives and families alcohol has destroyed must be incalculable.

Some positives I can say are I tend to bid a lot higher on charity auctions when I’ve had a few more than I should have. It feels good to give to charity and they certainly don’t make you take a breathalyzer before stroking the check so I believe positive for everyone involved.

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 02:15 AM   #87
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Some positives I can say are I tend to bid a lot higher on charity auctions when I’ve had a few more than I should have. It feels good to give to charity and they certainly don’t make you take a breathalyzer before stroking the check so I believe positive for everyone involved.

Alcohol was one of the original disinfectants of the world as well as being a pretty good pain killer in early medical procedures.

Water quality was so bad back in the day, beer was far safer to drink.

Life as a human is weird, not like it’s a huge fight for survival anymore, I really don’t see a problem with people enjoying drugs of their choice. Plenty of time to experiment at this point. Everyone derives pleasure in different ways, I can honestly say it is tougher for me to feel good today without drugs than it was when I consumed them regularly. Now I actually have to be productive to release those feel good chemicals lol overall I’m happier and much healthier though, drugs are but a bandaid in the grand scheme of things.

I’m sure it’s helped humanity in plenty if other ways as well, realizations/advancements that might not have been made sober, etc. definitely far from a black/white topic.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2020, 02:19 AM   #88
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I think what matters more is the way alcohol affects you, not necessarily the quantity consumed. If someone drinks 6 drinks per evening but is under control I don’t think that’s any worse than someone who drinks 2 drinks and loses the ability to do what and think how they would like.

To answer your question though, i usually have 1-2 drinks on a weekday and 2-3 on a weekend.
This idea completely negates a very important piece of over-consumption which is increased tolerance. Therefore, not at all applicable.
Old 9 December 2020, 02:25 AM   #89
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
If she stopped moaning then maybe you wouldn't have to drink as much.
There used to be a saying, something about if you really want to find out if you should marry someone, go on a vacation with them. Or other variations, live with them.

I have a feeling when the Covid thing ends, that there are going to be a lot of divorces. Not saying this has anything to do with the OP, but a lot of people are perhaps finding that this cabin fever thing is not who they thought they signed up with.

Perhaps we weren't intended to spend so much time together. My wife and I are best buds but a lot of our friends situations are totally different.
Old 9 December 2020, 02:33 AM   #90
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
You have a problem and that comes from a lot of experience.
Based on your avatar, yes we ....I mean you do have a lot of experience
donas is offline   Reply With Quote