The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 May 2021, 11:20 PM   #61
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
If you sell a TT DJ the AD can sell you another one. Job jobbed!

Doesn’t matter what reference.

Rolex does not like any of its references going directly to the resale market.

To Rolex, there is no such thing as an unpopular model to be bought only to be on-sold for the sake of getting a Pepsi from an AD.

That is unbecoming of the brand.

Contrary to what you think, it is not a win for an AD to find a customer who thinks he
/she can ‘game’ the system this way.

It’s all moot now anyway since there is really no such thing as an unpopular reference.

They’re all flying off the shelves to people who like them or are happy to settle for a Rolex, any Rolex.

And there are so many today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 11:24 PM   #62
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

With new cards where AD isn’t listed, this is no longer an issue. If someone calls a Rolex service center asking for such info that’s next level
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 11:29 PM   #63
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post

To Rolex, there is no such thing as an unpopular model to be bought only to be on-sold for the sake of getting a Pepsi from an AD.

Contrary to what you think, it is not a win for an AD to find a customer who thinks he

It’s all moot now anyway since there is really no such thing as an unpopular reference.

They’re all flying off the shelves to people who like them or are happy to settle for a Rolex, any Rolex.

Great story. Yet one of the big Greys here has a brand new 2021 Explorer. Unworn and still with stickers on…

Looks like the real great win for an AD is selling out the backdoor to Greys

They’re flying out the backdoor
Marcjvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 11:45 PM   #64
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlunn5 View Post
I've heard that Rolex will send their own people to buy back watches from grey dealers. They'll run the serial and find out which AD sold it, and to whom.
A SS Daytona has a build cost of about $800 to Rolex. Buying them back at market really makes no sense. If they want to stop flipping, Rolex can just supply more of them.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 12:01 AM   #65
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francist View Post

True...i wonder how long they can last buying $36k daytona when their profit margin for each one sold is probably only $4-5k
Why are you laughing? Rolex has enough money to keep doing this and not even come close to going bankrupt.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 12:29 AM   #66
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

When I picked up my BLNR a couple months ago my SA was making sure I had all the hang tags and everything saying “that’s money” which seemed to be alluding to the fact I might be reselling it. I guess I’m not sure if she was thinking it would be that day or 10 years from now, but didn’t give the sense that AD had a blacklist.
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 01:09 AM   #67
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
Like others have mentioned, Rolex send out people to buy from greys to find out who flipped or which AD sold to greys directly.

But this usually happens to hot pieces like the SS daytona, gmt, or green subs. I think DJs you are safe.

Or you can always wait a year or 2 to sell it. Not really going to matter on value if you sell it the day after or a year after.
jcdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 09:25 AM   #68
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Just hold the DJ until you get your Pepsi and then there is no issue. Or you could just move it now and go on with it. If they find out, they find out. A lot of front end ifs to be crossed before you get banned.
Best answer I got so far, I will go with that approach. Will have to take a small or loss anyway even if it’s a steel/white gold DJ (not a two tone like many assume)

Seems half the people here think no one cares about a crappy DJ being flipped but many people seem to agree that there’s a chance of getting in trouble. All shady in Rolex land.
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 09:30 AM   #69
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck21 View Post

Indeed, just today I noticed that for an OP with a green dial you have to fork out 10k gbp, insane considering they retail for £4800. Seems like as long as it’s steel people will take literally any model. Who pays 10k for an OP
Old 30 May 2021, 09:54 AM   #70
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
This question leaves itself open to self-serving snarky replies, but the truth is your AD will have no idea (much less care) what you do with your watch once you walk out the door.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 10:06 AM   #71
russ86
"TRF" Member

I dont think Rolex really cares about that. I know for sure though Patek really cares a lot about selling their watches on grey market.
russ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 10:50 AM   #72
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
After my AD got me my Blnr in late 2018 I said with a smile 'this is a keeper'. He obviously knows I'm not a flipper but he did mention If I sell it don't put it on any social media or list the serial mumber.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:28 AM   #73
jssans
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Screw View Post
This question leaves itself open to self-serving snarky replies, but the truth is your AD will have no idea (much less care) what you do with your watch once you walk out the door.

I think this is true for 99% of the ADs. You most likely have spent tens of thousands to get a hot model to begin with. AD is doing the math before you are considered. The house always wins.
jssans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:40 AM   #74
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Been gone for a few months, see nothing has changed

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 07:55 PM   #75
Becweb
Banned

No worries, just sell it and buy some more until you can get access to the model you really want - it's all about the quantities of non-desirable Rolex you buy nowadays, just look at how greys are getting allocations. They buy in big volumes.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 09:28 PM   #76
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
Been gone for a few months, see nothing has changed

steve

Welcome back. The drain swirl has accelerated.
Old 30 May 2021, 09:36 PM   #77
watchmaker
TechXpert

What does it matter how they find out?

It is your prerogative to sell your property just as it is the store's prerogative to blacklist customers they find out are flipping - some people get caught some don't, some ADs will care, some wont. Roll the dice.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 10:50 PM   #78
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlunn5 View Post
I've heard that Rolex will send their own people to buy back watches from grey dealers. They'll run the serial and find out which AD sold it, and to whom.
That sounds like way too much effort. Besides, why would Rolex really care if a customer sold their watch? Think about it. Makes no difference to them.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:13 PM   #79
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
That sounds like way too much effort. Besides, why would Rolex really care if a customer sold their watch? Think about it. Makes no difference to them.
Much like the DEA, they're after the dealer...

If there is reason to suspect that specific dealers are leaking a disproportionate number of hot watches to the grey market, Rolex will want to gather evidence of such.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 08:04 AM   #80
Shaitan
"TRF" Member

All is sorted, sold it to a friend at cost price. Mission accomplished with no AD repercussions :) And my Pepsi I get before my birthday which is soon (so I was told today). Bought 3 entry level pieces now from them in the last month, looks like the eagle is clear to land soon.

————————————————————————-
114060, 116610LV, 116619LB, 116520, 268622
Old 31 May 2021, 08:56 AM   #81
loudmofo
"TRF" Member

my ad bought my dj back
loudmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:55 PM   #82
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Why are you laughing? Rolex has enough money to keep doing this and not even come close to going bankrupt.
How do u know? U their accountant?
I hope u don't run a business otherwise it's going to bankrupt soon with ur way of thinking.

Selling $4k stuffs & buying them back at $36k????
What kinda business can survive doing this over & over?
Damn u should scan ur brain, see if it's still there.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 06:19 PM   #83
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My brother got an email from our AD blacklisting him for selling a Sub that he’d bought 8 months prior. He had it on eBay, the card was visible. A spy reported him.

IT HAPPENS!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 06:27 PM   #84
grimps
"TRF" Member

I posted about this the other day on a different thread

"Flipping was a term used on here for many years but most the time we made a loss on the watch.
I've owned more than 30 Rolexes and a few other brands over the years and it's only the last 2-3 years that selling a Rolex the minute you walk out the store would see you make any profit. I used to get bored after a couple of years and sell a watch to buy another or just fell out of love with a certain model.

I've used the same Authorized dealer for years and could be classed as a VIP with some of the 'hot' models I've been able to purchase and they usually get me anything I've asked for.
I recently took a Yachtmaster which I'd owned for 4 years to a local Grey dealer in a neighboring city as I never wear it and thought I'd just go and see what they'd offer , their offer seemed low so I decided to keep it.
Now ever since then my AD who i was often speaking to on Whatsapp and thought I had a really good relationship with has gone a bit cagey with me and isn't being as helpful.

I also had a guy on here reply to one of my comments on a subject naming my dealer and bigging up the grey dealer I visited , it seemed as if he'd been researching my old comments and I got the feeling he worked for the grey dealer.

I honestly believe that the grey dealer informed my AD that I'd visited and try to sell him a watch from his dealership , maybe they have some history or maybe they just get along and the grey dealer was mischief making but it seems like that's when my relationship with my AD has changed.
I still own 16 Rolex including all the hot models including Daytonas Batmans hulks ect and the John Mayer , if I was a flipper hoping for a quick profit they would have been sold by now.

If what I think turns out to be true then I'll be exposing the grey dealer and recommending to anyone thinking of using them on all the forums and Facebook groups not to take watches to their Dealership to flip
grimps is online now Report Post "
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 08:20 PM   #85
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Your wrist will turn pink and your nose will grow.
lol
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 10:24 PM   #86
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Do something stupid like posting a photo of the older style cards on ebay along with the watch and they could easily find out. Other than that not likely an issue.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:02 AM   #87
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Do something stupid like posting a photo of the older style cards on ebay along with the watch and they could easily find out. Other than that not likely an issue.
They only catch the stupid ones.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:27 AM   #88
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francist View Post
How do u know? U their accountant?
I hope u don't run a business otherwise it's going to bankrupt soon with ur way of thinking.

Selling $4k stuffs & buying them back at $36k????
What kinda business can survive doing this over & over?
Damn u should scan ur brain, see if it's still there.
Perhaps they’re buying them, or perhaps just examining them in-store and recording serial numbers. Either way, I’m sure there’s a large, dedicated fraud investigation budget. Perhaps the AD contract even requires reimbursement, lol.

Of course, they can always go and flip those watches again without taking a loss .

And “over and over again” could easily mean 100 times, which is a lot in this context but nothing when selling 800,000+ watches every year (plus parts and service).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:30 AM   #89
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaitan View Post
I bought a Rolex DJ to build a relationship with my AD. I want to sell the watch to a dealer but after reading a few comments online it seems that a few people got blacklisted by their AD for selling their watch on eBay/chrono24/watch dealers etc.

My question is, how does the AD find out about the sale. It’s not like people post pictures of the serial numbers on the warranty cards? Or do watch dealers contact Rolex to check the serial numbers and that’s how the AD finds out?

Do I have to worry about selling the watch? If my AD finds out all this relationship building was a waste of time.
Thanks
You want a relationship yet are being unfaithful from day one - hardly true love ❤️

Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 01:48 AM   #90
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Who gives a damn. AD is in business to sell product, not play detective. Worrying about what some bozo AD may do after taking your hard earned money is a complete waste of time.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote