The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 8 September 2021, 08:21 AM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Well, I may be one of the few that won't "kiss the ring."

I think that stepping out of a Lamborghini, Aston Martin or high end Mercedes is more of a visual statement of wealth than a watch that is on someones wrist, certainly, no one looks at me with my GS and thinks, "look at him, he is so much more wealthy than that tramp with the Aston."

To come on a watch forum and to accuse members of using their passion as a "symbol of wealth" (your words) is a bit rich.

I'm sorry, no flame intended but is this some kind of joke thread?
No joke thread. And your thoughts are valid.

I do think we are looking at this a bit differently. But nevertheless, your feelings on this are justified.

But I’m not a newbie coming into a watch forum and making statements like this. I’ve been a part of this community a long time. I’ve watched it evolve. Clearly, for you and many here, it’s the love of horological pursuits. Me too for that matter.

But many folks here don’t even want to go into the Rolex forum itself. I’m certain you are not looking at all the social media that I do. I’m certain you are not seeing what I see.

I used to be the watch guy in my circles. Now everyone is. But they are buying them for different reasons than I did.

Who am I to judge them? I’m nobody. I’ve no right to judge anyone. I’m simply bringing up a topic I’ve been thinking about on a watch forum.

In regard to cars, the vast majority of my crew simply love cars. They are buying, modding and racing cars. They much prefer to drive them, than stand by them. BUT so so many also do it for the display of wealth. I hear you there.

Again. I get it. I hear you.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:40 AM   #62
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
No joke thread. And your thoughts are valid.

I do think we are looking at this a bit differently. But nevertheless, your feelings on this are justified.

But I’m not a newbie coming into a watch forum and making statements like this. I’ve been a part of this community a long time. I’ve watched it evolve. Clearly, for you and many here, it’s the love of horological pursuits. Me too for that matter.

But many folks here don’t even want to go into the Rolex forum itself. I’m certain you are not looking at all the social media that I do. I’m certain you are not seeing what I see.

I used to be the watch guy in my circles. Now everyone is. But they are buying them for different reasons than I did.

Who am I to judge them? I’m nobody. I’ve no right to judge anyone. I’m simply bringing up a topic I’ve been thinking about on a watch forum.

In regard to cars, the vast majority of my crew simply love cars. They are buying, modding and racing cars. They much prefer to drive them, than stand by them. BUT so so many also do it for the display of wealth. I hear you there.

Again. I get it. I hear you.
Well, I appreciate your quite fabulous reply. I understand more of what you talked about in your OP. You're right, I probably don't see what you are referencing on social media.

I also think that some of the wonderful and unusual watches you show are not in the "showing wealth" category, (Didn't you have one of the Omega Snoopy's?) and, for me, are the watches that will reinvigorate your passion.

I did, like you, lose interest, it lasted about a couple of years, but it came back.

Wealth doesn't bother me, but I love cars and watches and anything technical, I come here because there is little pretentiousness, people show their cars, watches, technology etc because they love it, not because they want to show their wealth, I class you in that group.

Keep showing your wonderful cars and rare, hard to get watches, I will never have them, but it is nice to have a real good daydream.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:45 AM   #63
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Discussed this with a sales rep at AP today. Even he was not wearing a watch. For me it’s mainly social media that has killed it (and I am not even on any platforms). It’s one thing for me to know what a 15407 is and what it’s worth, but it’s quite another for people on the street or subway to know as well. Social media has made the hot watches and their values common knowledge. I am just less comfortable wearing a nautilus or AP out in the city when everybody with an IG account knows it’s worth six figures. And I know the response that 99.9% of people do not notice - but that is changing rapidly. When the fresh direct delivery guy is asking about my watch (or the bartender yesterday!) I think they have become mainstream.
SMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:57 AM   #64
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I didn't get into watches because of hype, social media or signaling wealth...so I'm definitely not going to be driven out by any of those things either.

I have no Facebook, Instagram, tiktok or whatever else is going on today. And I know most will say...oh that guy he's just old or not hip or out of touch...probably still wears Ray-Bans. Well, I may be one or more of those things but I know enough to see what getting deep into social media does to people and no thank you.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:09 AM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Well, I appreciate your quite fabulous reply. I understand more of what you talked about in your OP. You're right, I probably don't see what you are referencing on social media.

I also think that some of the wonderful and unusual watches you show are not in the "showing wealth" category, (Didn't you have one of the Omega Snoopy's?) and, for me, are the watches that will reinvigorate your passion.

I did, like you, lose interest, it lasted about a couple of years, but it came back.

Wealth doesn't bother me, but I love cars and watches and anything technical, I come here because there is little pretentiousness, people show their cars, watches, technology etc because they love it, not because they want to show their wealth, I class you in that group.

Keep showing your wonderful cars and rare, hard to get watches, I will never have them, but it is nice to have a real good daydream.
Have always had tremendous respect for you, Dave.

I might have mentioned in the past, but my greatest regret in life is not joining the military for a time. Two times I spoke to my folks about it. Both times they begged me not to, and I didn’t. I regret it. And I don’t envy money. I do envy accomplishments though. And a life of service, that I envy.

I have been lucky in my career, for sure. And building relationships has always been my thing. I’ve always really liked people. Always wanted to know more about individuals and become friends.

That’s changing for me. I’m getting jaded in general. And this hobby is a part of it. To me, a watch is potentially the greatest invention ever. The ability to track time, developed so long ago, and universally accepted is simply mind blowing to me. Love learning about the ancient cultures that figured it all out.

To be able to track time on your wrist? Mechanically? I can barely wrap my head around it. I love watches.

To see it polluted as it has been, it’s just a turn off. I understand it’s business. I can appreciate that. I’m a believer in capitalism. But its starting to seem less about the money, and more about that status.

I don’t know. I agree with many posters. I’ll be back. I might even collect as they do feel like art to me. But the passion is fading. Not for my love of time. My respect for time. But for the watches I was wearing.

Old 8 September 2021, 09:10 AM   #66
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Discussed this with a sales rep at AP today. Even he was not wearing a watch. For me it’s mainly social media that has killed it (and I am not even on any platforms). It’s one thing for me to know what a 15407 is and what it’s worth, but it’s quite another for people on the street or subway to know as well. Social media has made the hot watches and their values common knowledge. I am just less comfortable wearing a nautilus or AP out in the city when everybody with an IG account knows it’s worth six figures. And I know the response that 99.9% of people do not notice - but that is changing rapidly. When the fresh direct delivery guy is asking about my watch (or the bartender yesterday!) I think they have become mainstream.
You said this so very well. Thank you.

Agree with everything you write.

Old 8 September 2021, 09:38 AM   #67
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I've lost interest significantly. I still own my watches but I would rather wear my g shock casioak or non Rolex.

To me Rolex and the AD game is not something I play. And quite frankly I don't do well with the look at me crowd.

There is always someone with more money than you. Define yourself by money and material things and you will never be fulfilled.

That said I am not calling people out. I rock a gold sub sometimes still so yes I do sometimes like to play into it.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:09 AM   #68
rlj676
"TRF" Member

I never get comments on my stuff, and with no FB or insta etc I guess I’m just completely missing a similar feeling.

I am all for talking watches with someone into them ... must be why no comments to me lol.

I have a blnr, fluted/jubilee Wimbledon and a black Daytona (still new) so not exactly super unrecognizable...
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:19 AM   #69
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I haven’t lost interest in watches or Rolex. In fact, I’ve been in love with all sorts of watches, clocks, whatever tells time for over 50 years.

These days, my interest wanes at the Rolex AD door. If it’s not in stock, I’m out. Really, why bother?

I’m not a chain yanker when I want to buy a Rolex, and I sure don’t need an AD hinting that I need some sort of “ relationship starter “ group buy.

So, I wear my Rolex watches and enjoy them.

Some day, I’ll get another, the old fashioned way. MSRP or better at an AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 September 2021, 10:33 AM   #70
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

It’s cyclic, Seth.
My watches have spent more time in the bank than on my wrist for the last two years.
I’ve been busy with other things
But I haven’t fallen out of love. I’m just preoccupied.
They’ll be back. They are mechanical masterpieces.

All the best
T
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:48 AM   #71
austinp
"TRF" Member

Go vintage. Then it’s like your own little secret.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:48 AM   #72
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I think we all go through various phases of watch collecting. From the constant endless pursuit to taking a breather focusing on life and other important things. But eventually, my true love for watches comes roaring back and I start to remember why I like these silly things in first place.

I do agree though that there is something to be said about rolex fatigue. It is now way too much about hype and obtaining one does not have the same meaning for me anymore that it once did. I still appreciate them for what they are but I much prefer to grab an under the radar lange or patek dress watch and throw it on a casual strap.

I get so much more enjoyment over people NOT knowing what I am wearing!
Old 8 September 2021, 10:50 AM   #73
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
Go vintage. Then it’s like your own little secret.

I have. Particularly Seiko and lesser known Swiss
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 02:05 PM   #74
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I live in Minneapolis, and after the year or so we have had, I am always thinking about how my look or vibe I send affects those around me. Not for concern of crime, just sending one more signal of implied status. I have some pretty under the radar models, and I am glad I do. I don't lust after the more prominent watches any longer. So that set of events has had an impact on me.

The Rolex way of business has dampened my enthusiasm also. I used to like to try watches on and talk about them at the AD. Can't do that any longer. So thinking about acquiring a new OP or Explorer II, for example, doesn't even cross my mind any more. I view Rolex through the prism of what I currently own only. Can't imagine having the chance to buy a model of interest at list price from an AD ever again.

I have enough watch horsepower to get me through the duration. Losing hobbyist interest as my models are discontinued and there is nothing about them that hasn't already been discussed ad nauseam within TRF and by other sources.
Old 8 September 2021, 02:28 PM   #75
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Seth… I want to help
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 04:49 PM   #76
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
I Love the watches I have. I'm not someone who buys all the latest watch releases, wears them, gets bored and sells them. So, I guess by really wanting specific watches and really enjoying them I have not gotten sour on collecting watches. Things have definitely changed but I'm happy with what I have and I don't have another watch I really want right now.

Seth, you might want to let Paul help you.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:24 PM   #77
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I too feel for some time that I have reached what I want in watches. I do not really have anything I desire except for another AP...but the challenges to get this watch have left me on the sidelines and not motivated as I have been in the past. In the past, I would search relentlessly until I found the watch, but I feel at this point in time, too many people are fighting for too little supply of watches. I think it's social media that has propped up the horology. As some of you know, I love cars and follow a bunch of car guys on youtube and they are now always talking and flashing watches of their own(which they never had in the three years I have been watching) and the watches of their groupies. All of a sudden, they are watch people too...this is how it's blowing up.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 08:59 PM   #78
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Fairly jaundiced view of 'watches', but it's how I see it at the mo'.
Geneva is in a boat above this lot...'chumming'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg iu.jpeg (69.6 KB, 151 views)
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:26 PM   #79
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
What's IG?
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:29 PM   #80
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting posts and responses. Sometimes I find that I have to get out of my head and stop overthinking what is going on around me. Not to say I ignore it, I just have to put it in it's space. It has been very trying in the world with the Covid-19 and all of the associated events. Negativity is alive and well and many enjoy embracing it and even spreading it. I acknowledge that the watch game has significantly changed in the last few years but I refuse to let it sour me on a hobby that brings me great pleasure. If you focus on the ability to buy Rolex, PP, VC or AP at retail from an AD when and where you want it you will be disappointed. But I remember a few short years ago that that was the case and all we did was talk about discounts. Social media plays a role but only to the extent we allow it.

Move on in a direction that makes you happy. In the end they are just watches, or cars, or what ever it is. It is not life and death and we choose to be happy or sad within the context of events. Keep your watches, enjoy your family and friends and remember why you are here on TRF. I think that will be knowledge, fellowship and fun.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:51 PM   #81
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
#mid-life crisis.

This feeling and stage is very common. You could replace watches with cars, houses, hobbies, job, etc. I think you might be embarking on a “what is life” journey. If I had to guess, your next thing will be a foundation or non-profit, something to make a lasting impact, a legacy move.

….I could be way off…just going by your posts…
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:55 PM   #82
DavB
Banned

Watch: Rolexes & Others
Not for me as I have ALWAYS love collecting watches, its a hobby that won't die.
DavB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:56 PM   #83
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
Interests change over time. They come and go. The availability of Rolex is now insane. It’s really not fun anymore. I’ll most likely pick up a new Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree. I bought my first Tudor, the GMT a few months ago. I like it alot.
Looking at the GS Four Seasons Collection now. The Spring edition is stunning in person.
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:07 PM   #84
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Don’t make any decisions while feeling emotional.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:47 PM   #85
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
surely my friend you are kidding on the comics bit right?

and likely you are right. this is just what I see on IG and the people I tend to associate with.
Honestly no knowledge of the comic book resurgence.
I recently moved a dozen boxes to storage after I swapped houses.
Old 8 September 2021, 10:51 PM   #86
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
#mid-life crisis.

This feeling and stage is very common. You could replace watches with cars, houses, hobbies, job, etc. I think you might be embarking on a “what is life” journey. If I had to guess, your next thing will be a foundation or non-profit, something to make a lasting impact, a legacy move.

….I could be way off…just going by your posts…
I actually think you are exactly correct.

I am wondering what life is worth at this point.

I am not sure I care about a legacy, per say, but I do want to create something that helps people today.

I am lucky that I have been able to appreciate all the "toys" in life. That and I always flipped one thing to get another, so I have been through a lot.

But things are holding less and less appeal to me. Your post is spot on.

Old 8 September 2021, 10:51 PM   #87
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Honestly no knowledge of the comic book resurgence.
I recently moved a dozen boxes to storage after I swapped houses.
endless comic book movies at this point. endless. It is madness. it is almost as if there is nothing else. and no end in sight.

Old 8 September 2021, 11:41 PM   #88
77T

Losing Interest in Watches

Quote:
endless comic book movies at this point. endless. It is madness. it is almost as if there is nothing else. and no end in sight.
Have to agree

Many of the producers have gone to cutting where the money is spent. Low talent expenses vs big box office names. Lower cost CGI content and soundstage vs live action and on-location sets. So comic books offer that - tradeoff is vacuous storylines.

Plus, there is a gap in pandemic shutdown supply line of new meaningful, ready to launch, content.

2022 may see a return to better work I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 11:57 PM   #89
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Interesting thread and I appreciate all the various opinions. I have collect watches since 2012 and I am still interested in watches. I also share wrist shots on my IG not for showing off but rather for sharing the passion with fellow enthusiast.

That said, like many others, I have definitely grown tired of the acquisition process for watches as everything even remotely "hyped" nowadays requires one to jump thru hoops to get allocated one. I am also tired of seeing empty cases with nothing to try on, hearing BS from sales rep, being told about waitlist, interest list and also the list to get on these two list and endless other "lists" . Which we all know is non-existant and just as sales tactic to further hyped up their wares .

Moving forward, I will stick to some of the brands that can produce quality watches without the artificial marketing hype and the convoluted buying process. The trouble is more and more top brands are all heading towards that direction and if that day comes when everyone of them is like that, perhaps then time to finally say goodbye to the hobby or just enjoy what I have, which is still a lot.
Old 9 September 2021, 12:37 AM   #90
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
I actually think you are exactly correct.

I am wondering what life is worth at this point.

I am not sure I care about a legacy, per say, but I do want to create something that helps people today.

I am lucky that I have been able to appreciate all the "toys" in life. That and I always flipped one thing to get another, so I have been through a lot.

But things are holding less and less appeal to me. Your post is spot on.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote