The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 October 2021, 09:23 AM   #61
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
We are strap twins. That’s the one I just put onto my RQ.

Hopefully to haul me over until an TV shows up.

totally naive Q. What's TV?
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 09:32 AM   #62
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
totally naive Q. What's TV?

It is for Tourbillion Vertical from FPJ
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 09:39 AM   #63
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
wow. I see. awesome piece!!
Old 9 October 2021, 10:11 AM   #64
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danicasi2002 View Post
wow. I see. awesome piece!!

Agreed. And fingers crossed that it can become a reality
Old 9 October 2021, 10:12 AM   #65
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post

Edit: an FPJ promotional video from 7 years ago, what does that prove? There are collectors who bought the watches over 2 decades ago, so what? Big discounts and still lost on them when sold. Now go look back at videos to see how many years long Watchbox has been hyping FPJ and controlling the secondhand market in pricing and inventory. Please report back when you find this buildup and control moves the prices and built the hype. Even those within FPJ don’t deny that, but you do?

The simplistic “Instagram hype” line regurgitated all over the Internet doesn’t apply here without missing the actual facts. If you believe this happened to FPJ over organic Instagram hype I have a bridge to sell you.
You seem angry, and I'm not interested in your bridge, nor your narrative. FPJ is not a "hype" brand, he wins top awards for his watches. These awards are nothing to do with Watchbox.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 10:12 AM   #66
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchen42 View Post
Hahaha, found a brother. Let’s take a picture when we meet. Hopefully, at that time, I could get what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone else on this forum with a CO inspired me to get it after I saw the picture. And it turns out just right for me.
Old 9 October 2021, 11:01 AM   #67
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Someone else on this forum with a CO inspired me to get it after I saw the picture. And it turns out just right for me.
The CO is my ultimate grail, and I'm tempted to sell my 5712/1A to get one. Maybe one day.
Old 9 October 2021, 11:25 AM   #68
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Arguably the most important piece for the brand? Historically speaking, the TV is what started it all for FPJ and I would consider it the height of Journe ownership.

What an amazing piece to get. When are you expecting it?
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 11:26 AM   #69
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
Arguably the most important piece for the brand? Historically speaking, the TV is what started it all for FPJ and I would consider it the height of Journe ownership.

What an amazing piece to get. When are you expecting it?

I need my application to be approved first.

Fingers crossed
Old 9 October 2021, 12:55 PM   #70
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I'm a bit surprised that so many would take a CS over an 1815 Chronograph. I've liked Lange since they first re-emerged and Journe from birth but one really should be comparing an 1815 Up Down to the Journe CS. I concede that the Journe has a more attractive case and dial but Lange (and I'm talking about the Up Down here) has far superior movement finishing, although it may not seem as attractive with the three quarter plate. Let's call this one a draw and a matter of preference.

However, now that Journe prices and waitlists, like Rolex, have become ridiculous, the idea that one would take a CS, a watch that I've thought about getting, over an 1815 Chronograph, a watch that I had to have and, likely, the finest chronograph ever made, as well as being a bargain at retail, is insane.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 01:33 PM   #71
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I'm a bit surprised that so many would take a CS over an 1815 Chronograph. I've liked Lange since they first re-emerged and Journe from birth but one really should be comparing an 1815 Up Down to the Journe CS. I concede that the Journe has a more attractive case and dial but Lange (and I'm talking about the Up Down here) has far superior movement finishing, although it may not seem as attractive with the three quarter plate. Let's call this one a draw and a matter of preference.

However, now that Journe prices and waitlists, like Rolex, have become ridiculous, the idea that one would take a CS, a watch that I've thought about getting, over an 1815 Chronograph, a watch that I had to have and, likely, the finest chronograph ever made, as well as being a bargain at retail, is insane.

First of all, I do like lange. The zeitwerk is one of my favorite model. Then, the focus of Journe will never be the very very fine finishing. Their focus is the complicated function and the design of movement.

Well, I don’t agreed with that lange has “far” superior movement finishing. Well, they may do a lot of work on the datograph and zeitwerk but for 1815, IMHO, they are lazy. See the photos for 1815. They will not finish all of the movement if we can not see it.

mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2021, 09:31 PM   #72
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Awesome if you can share some photos of your CO. Thanks
Old 16 October 2021, 09:20 PM   #73
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
You seem angry, and I'm not interested in your bridge, nor your narrative. FPJ is not a "hype" brand, he wins top awards for his watches. These awards are nothing to do with Watchbox.
Why do you say that? Someone that has more information than you and tells the truth makes them angry? I own and have owned Journe, I’m just honest about it.

Is 1000% is a hype brand. The watches were sitting even in 2020 and were sitting forever before that. Hugely discounted. Tough sells. Until Watchbox came along. What do awards have to do with that? Why do are these facts objectionable to you? Because you bought into the hype?

There is no narrative as you put it. Just facts.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2021/08/wat...e-bethune.html

Quote:
In contrast to many of its peers who have long focused on more mainstream names, Watchbox has long been active in selling pre-owned timepieces from independent watchmakers. Notably, Watchbox became a market maker for F.P. Journe starting about five year ago by actively buying and selling the brand’s watches.
https://storage.googleapis.com/pubza...ci_6994271.jpg An earlier version of the article by SJX.

Read between the lines. This is the diplomatic wording. Everyone in the industry knows it’s true because they were there and deep enough in it. Dollars to doughnuts you got in after the hype and don’t want to feel taken for a ride. That’s understandable. In fact most if not all the people who find these facts objectionable are in the same boat. The replies are there. It was obvious llngoc bought one more recently before he said it, just by his reaction.

OP asked, I answered like everyone else, and gave context. So let’s not fool ourselves or try to shut down discussion. You should be happy someone is giving you the straight dope instead of blowing smoke up your you know what.

At the next for the day, it doesn’t matter what you’re interested in, you can’t rewrite facts or history by putting your head in the sand. Educate yourself. And if you don’t want to, others do.
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 12:56 AM   #74
ajw45
"TRF" Member

1815 boutique over the fpj all day for me. Agree that FPJ is a manufactured hype brand but that doesn't mean they make bad watches, just that prices include a hype tax.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 10:07 AM   #75
shafran
"TRF" Member

I know the post has gone ou into tangents, but since I am the op, if any one is interested, I went with a journe al2.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2021, 10:12 AM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
I know the post has gone ou into tangents, but since I am the op, if any one is interested, I went with a journe al2.

Congrats post up some pics and ignore the noise.
Old 17 October 2021, 07:32 PM   #77
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Huge congrats, enjoy it
Old 17 October 2021, 08:46 PM   #78
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
FPJ is an excellent example of what we’ve talked about many times on this forum and that is the generalized hype by certain grey dealers to cause a particular brand/model to increase in value in a short period time. In this case the hype was led by Govberg and they did a fantastic job. It worked. It took about 3-4 years but here we are. Just look at all the new FPJ “enthusiast”. These things crack me up.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 12:53 AM   #79
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
Why do you say that? Someone that has more information than you and tells the truth makes them angry? I own and have owned Journe, I’m just honest about it.

Is 1000% is a hype brand. The watches were sitting even in 2020 and were sitting forever before that. Hugely discounted. Tough sells. Until Watchbox came along. What do awards have to do with that? Why do are these facts objectionable to you? Because you bought into the hype?

There is no narrative as you put it. Just facts.
Look at the seven GPHG gold medals. They were not awarded by Watchbox.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:54 AM   #80
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats, and good health to wear it.
Old 18 October 2021, 01:00 AM   #81
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Congratulations. I own both Lange and Journe. Both great watches but different. I am sure you will eventually circle back to a Lange since this is a never ending rabbit hole
Old 18 October 2021, 02:15 AM   #82
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Look at the seven GPHG gold medals. They were not awarded by Watchbox.
LOL. Tag Heuer has 9 GPHG medals and Patek only has 6. Trade all your FPJ and Patek for Tag asap.

Paiget has 10 and their resale value is toxic, Rolex has none and they are the king of resale. IOW, GPHG wins does not a market make.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 03:36 AM   #83
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
LOL. Tag Heuer has 9 GPHG medals and Patek only has 6. Trade all your FPJ and Patek for Tag asap.

Paiget has 10 and their resale value is toxic, Rolex has none and they are the king of resale. IOW, GPHG wins does not a market make.
What's with the "LOL"?

GPHG wins are a measure of the standard of horology. It has nothing to do with "the market", which is being driven by Instagram "influencers" and watch journalism in general.

I count myself lucky to have heard of FPJ more than ten years ago, and then I found a s/h FPJ at half-retail in 2016. The only thing that's changed since 2016 is a widespread awareness of the brand, driven by videos like the one below, and not by retailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fmjnKGZkY
Old 18 October 2021, 03:39 AM   #84
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I am adding Journe to politics and religion to the list of forbidden subjects at the dinner table now.
Old 18 October 2021, 03:43 AM   #85
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am adding Journe to politics and religion to the forbidden subjects at the dinner table now.
The level of negativity is phenomenal: there's plenty of brands I'm not fond of, but I'm not going to waste my time trashing them online.
Old 18 October 2021, 03:52 AM   #86
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The level of negativity is phenomenal: there's plenty of brands I'm not fond of, but I'm not going to waste my time trashing them online.
Old 18 October 2021, 05:12 AM   #87
shafran
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congratulations. I own both Lange and Journe. Both great watches but different. I am sure you will eventually circle back to a Lange since this is a never ending rabbit hole
I actually have a datograph perpetual.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 05:21 AM   #88
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually have a datograph perpetual.

Interesting. What makes you want to get a 1815 Chronograph when you have a Datograph perpetual?

I am interested because I was at one point trying to decide between a Datograph Perpetual, Datograph and a 1815 chronograph. The 1815 got dropped early on as the one I really want is the boutique edition with the blue numerals but it was not obtainable for me.

So it will be interesting to hear from someone who’s already through this experience.

In this case, I would say you probably made the best choice since you already have a Lange (probably one of the best one too). Now you get to experience a Journe.
Old 18 October 2021, 08:32 AM   #89
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Between these two, the 1815 chrono.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2021, 08:35 AM   #90
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

At the risk of labouring my point, here is a Hodinkee film from 2015, a time when everyone wanted a Rolex Daytona. How times change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6WMenS141A