The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2023, 01:21 AM   #61
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Hey guys and gals, remember the old days? We could walk into a Rolex store, look at, handle, try on, play with any old watch in there, and if we liked it, negotiate a 10% discount (maybe more) and take it home. I don't remember all of the teeth gnashing and crying about how it's been "used" and touched and is no longer virginal.

Now, granted, the scenario that Steve describes is just weird, especially with that small pickup window, and it has me puzzled.

But if that were the only way I could get my blue SD, then I'd probably say yes, quite frankly. But I know all of the people at my AD, and I know they'd be careful with it.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:26 AM   #62
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It really stinks when you think about it, but it is the current Rolex policy of requiring ADs to have watches in house for display purposes. It is the wait that would bug me. Having people try it on is no big deal to me as that was the case forever where watches sat in cases for months, even years then being sold as new with no concern about it. It is what the stickers are for.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:39 AM   #63
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Hey guys and gals, remember the old days? We could walk into a Rolex store, look at, handle, try on, play with any old watch in there, and if we liked it, negotiate a 10% discount (maybe more) and take it home. I don't remember all of the teeth gnashing and crying about how it's been "used" and touched and is no longer virginal.

Now, granted, the scenario that Steve describes is just weird, especially with that small pickup window, and it has me puzzled.

But if that were the only way I could get my blue SD, then I'd probably say yes, quite frankly. But I know all of the people at my AD, and I know they'd be careful with it.
So in other words, in the "old days" a watch was handled by likely far fewer people and you received a discount for it, compared to today where tens of people may handle it every day for a month and OP has to pay full price?

The reality is that when watches sat in cases, they sat there because nobody was interested and very few people were probably actually trying them on; those who did try them on more often than not were probably bringing them home. A handful of people may have tried on a watch over several months before finding a buyer. That's a lot different than today's market where multiple people all day long are trying on the watch they want but can't buy, and OP gets to pay full price for the "privilege".

Comparisons to the "old days" are anything but.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 01:44 AM   #64
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

The sad thing is someone else will except the deal because of the way things are right now with Rolex. Bravo! In sticking to your guns and saying, NO. I would have done the same.
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 02:35 AM   #65
youneswatches
Banned

Watch: 124060
You made the right call.
youneswatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 02:43 AM   #66
wjgoretsky
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: DD-118238-(73208)
When I placed my order for my 118238 Day Date, I requested to be present before they broke the seal on the shipping box and they were happy to comply. They actually invited me to open the case and be the first person to touch it.

It was a truly exhilarating experience.

Sadly, Rolex have pulled their account with this AD and assigned it to a retailer who behaves in this new “exhibition” style of marketing.

So disappointed to see this trend. Not impressed at all.

Winston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wjgoretsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:10 AM   #67
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Honestly, if I were offered a green sub with this stipulation I'd do it. We seem to forget at one point all of our watches were "display watches". Sure, the pay now pick up later would bother me a little but I wouldn't let that deter me from getting a watch at retail especially if they're trading over retail in the secondary market. I don't follow the Explorer pricing so I don't know.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:10 AM   #68
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
tell your ad to go pound sand
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:13 AM   #69
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
So in other words, in the "old days" a watch was handled by likely far fewer people and you received a discount for it, compared to today where tens of people may handle it every day for a month and OP has to pay full price?

The reality is that when watches sat in cases, they sat there because nobody was interested and very few people were probably actually trying them on; those who did try them on more often than not were probably bringing them home. A handful of people may have tried on a watch over several months before finding a buyer. That's a lot different than today's market where multiple people all day long are trying on the watch they want but can't buy, and OP gets to pay full price for the "privilege".

Also consider the Explorer was designed for expeditions, I doubt Rolex engineered it to be touched by ten people a day, it will probably fall apart.

Also, there does seem to be an increase in the number of I got the call but declined threads recently. I note that it always seems to be the watches that now trade below list but I assume that is just a coincidence.
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:30 AM   #70
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Pay in full now and retrieve from the exhibition case next month? Sounds like the AD has a cash flow problem.
Is the AD named Anthony F. by chance?
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:32 AM   #71
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Art Suzy View Post
It's like he's asking you to put it on layaway but only to pay 100% up front. Weird.
Once you pay 100% of something and receive a receipt, it contractually becomes yours.

This is ridiculous.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 03:55 AM   #72
puma1552
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK888 View Post
Also consider the Explorer was designed for expeditions, I doubt Rolex engineered it to be touched by ten people a day, it will probably fall apart.
If only that were the point.
puma1552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:35 AM   #73
shipitfresh
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
I wandered into an AD at an upscale mall nearby and noticed several high demand Rolex in their display cases. When I asked about their availability, I was told the watches were for "customers to experience" and not for sale. It struck me as odd until I read this thread.
shipitfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 04:37 AM   #74
LC23
"TRF" Member

would've declined too. never even heard of that.
Old 22 August 2023, 04:54 AM   #75
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Not a deal I’d have been comfortable with, or agreed to either Steve.
A shame really, that things have come down to this, especially from an AD.

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:41 AM   #76
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Good call. I wouldn’t be philosophically opposed to buying a watch that had been in the case but only if I examined and was satisfied with its condition AND I could walk out that day with it after payment.
The pay in full, wait thirty days, and narrow window for pickup are just weird.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:50 AM   #77
Michael T
2024 Pledge Member

I would have asked them: "If when you bought your last new car, they told you it would be a demo for a month, would you buy it?"
Michael T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 05:51 AM   #78
drrd
"TRF" Member

I’d also be uncomfortable with this offer, but OP are you sure you wanted this one?

Would everyone respond the same if this was say a 126500LN?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:05 AM   #79
alllexandru

That’s not a new watch anymore, well declined.
Bad manners and doing business
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:11 AM   #80
rmagoo57

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Is the AD named Anthony F. by chance?
It is Marketing Genius. NOT!!!

Glad you told them where to shove it.
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 06:14 AM   #81
RCorsa
"TRF" Member

If you want that model/watch who cares if it’s on display. It would be no different that in the past where you could walk into an AD and buy a watch on display. Have to assume tons of people tried it on before you? As long as no damage I don’t see a problem ?
RCorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:03 AM   #82
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I agree with passing on that situation. Makes no sense to pay for a watch and have it as a play thing for customers for a month. If you pay for it and they have it then it should be yours only. If you can't pick it up then it should go into a safe. I bought a Sub a year ago and it was placed in a safe until I picked up, no exhibition.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:16 AM   #83
aftereffector
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t mind buying an exhibition watch if I walked in and it was offered. I wouldn’t mind either if my AD called one day and said “we’ve got an exhibition piece that we can offer to you”. But if I’m swiping my card in full, I’m leaving with that item in my possession that day.
aftereffector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:23 AM   #84
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

The display model part doesn't bother me, as pretty much EVERY Rolex used to e a display model and receive handling before you bought it. I would balk at paying fully in advance. A deposit of a couple thousand, I'd probably be OK with.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 07:25 AM   #85
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
ls this the new AD level of service?
It is for your AD.

I have bought ex display watches (not Rolex) that were unmarked, stickered, tagged and not yet registered for warranty. The difference is that I always got discounts on them. Paying and waiting a month for a watch in stock and on display isn't an option I would generally be happy about, although it would depend on the watch.

In your situation I'd pass but it might suit the next person in the queue and if it does, then more power to them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:22 AM   #86
Ontime
Banned

This would have been a pass for me.
Ontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:42 AM   #87
watchnoobie212
"TRF" Member

I work at an known AD, thats shady business. Never heard of that being done. Good thing u didnt go forward with it
watchnoobie212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 08:47 AM   #88
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

Pretty outrageous. Basically a non-certified pre-owned watch by the time you collect it.

I wouldn't say no to buying a watch that had previously been on display/exhibition, so long as I could inspect it immediately prior to committing to purchase and making payment.

One of the last exhibition watches I was handed in a boutique (226570) had a huge dent in the side of the case - the salesperson said that a customer had dropped it on the ceramic floor when handling it, but they were still keeping it on the shop floor to show customers. If that watch had been offered to me for sale, I wouldn't have bought it, even if I had been in the market for that watch. But what if I had bought (paid for) that watch a few weeks earlier and given consent for the AD to let customers view it before I was allowed to collect it, and that happened (or something similar)?
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:24 AM   #89
Barrier25
"TRF" Member

As mentioned numerous times above; in regards to it being and “exhibition watch”, this is how it typically works with all new watches from all brands (and Rolex in the past), aside from some special orders. If the AD would have agreed to partial down payment, more flexible terms for pickup and stickers were to remain on, I would be fine with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barrier25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2023, 09:28 AM   #90
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

Well, I don't know about all that.
Being old with plenty of time on my hands I have made the odd casual observation or two.

With the diversity of peoples preferences, some days I have noticed how few people actually go into a dealer.
Also how many go in to try a watch on and how many are dropping off a watch to be serviced or picking up a serviced watch, not to mention picking up a new watch.
Walk ins and try ons are not as numerous as one would imagine and with the different references in store it's unlikely a watch will necessary be handled other than to be put out on display and put away again at the end of the day, even for highly sought after references.

To imply that there are potentially line ups of people waiting to try on your deeply desired reference is fanciful on a regular trading day.
The only time I have seen a number of people waiting to handle any particular reference was at the reveal of new watch references where watches were literally on tour from one boutique to another boutique after the traditional Basel fair.
I had the pleasure of being behind and waiting for someone else to finish trying on the 126600 in Milan, Italy early in the the first morning of the reveal there in 2017.
Naturally I can't speak to how many people went through the boutique over the following week, but I was invited along to attend the reveal the day before while visiting the boutique as a random walk in with my wife. At the time we were there, we were the only people to be in the place. To add to that. Other than the 126600 on that day I never tried on any other watches including being invited to a special function at the Panerai boutique in Florence while we were visiting Italy for the whole month and going to just about every noteable retailer in our wanderings.
It's not like we were discouraged from trying watches on either
I have attended a number of functions at watch retailers with a large gathering of enthusiasts but it's not like there are watches being tried on willy nilly.
Granted they are handled and tried on occassionally on a normal trading day and in a more controlled manner, but it's not like some shopping mall where there is high foot traffic and people waltzing in trying on the occassional Seiko or two.
I urge you to keep tabs on your favourite watch of desire across a number of settings when you get the time and I think you will see just how little any watch will be handled on a regular day.
Also try observing how many Rolex watches are running in total while on display and factor in their ultra modern 72 hour power reserve. I know it's imprecise, but I wind them up and set the time when I'm playing with them and two or three days later they're stopped while on display so there aren't many people following suit or proceeding me either.
In a modern day Rolex Boutique setting, people have had to book a time or had entry denied or restricted. This limits the traffic through the doors as well and is a factor that needs to be considered on a location by location basis.

Just saying.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote