The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 February 2024, 08:26 PM   #61
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorGMT View Post
I find the coal powered cars interesting, but without tax incentives to buyers and manufacturers, they would not exist.

If buyers were educated on where "electricity" comes from, I expect they would be pariahs.

It depends on where you live. Norway’s electricity is about 90% hydroelectric. Here in France, our electricity is mostly nuclear. The UK is gas (much cleaner than coal) at 40% and renewables at 30% with coal only 13%.

If you live in an area relying on coal, then yes, that’s a problem. But it’s a problem that goes much beyond EV cars. The focus should be on changing from coal to natural gas ASAP, not trying to impede electric cars. Plus, locally, EVs will always be cleaner to breathe.

In comparison, hydrocarbons are dirty throughout the chain, from drilling to transporting to refining to more transporting to sometimes spilling to burning in a car.

So, picking on coal as the reason EVs aren’t better than ICE frankly doesn’t make sense.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:01 PM   #62
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Don’t know, but they have almost only EV’s.

I think the article a few posts back stated about 1 in 4 cars in Norway are currently EV. It’s a high percentage relative to other countries but still a relatively small number. I didn’t realize Norway had such a small Population at just over 5 million. I would assume the wealthy people have taken advantage of the tax incentives but the poor still won’t be able to afford an EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 10:32 PM   #63
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t think they drive from Oslo to Vardo very often in their EV’s?
If you live in Oslo, why would you drive to Vardo frequently
The EV charging network is incredibly good in Scandinavia though, so I don't think it would be an issue to do so.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2024, 11:02 PM   #64
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
I think the article a few posts back stated about 1 in 4 cars in Norway are currently EV. It’s a high percentage relative to other countries but still a relatively small number. I didn’t realize Norway had such a small Population at just over 5 million. I would assume the wealthy people have taken advantage of the tax incentives but the poor still won’t be able to afford an EV.

Yeah, it’s always sort of shocking when you realize how tiny some of these European countries are. Norway is half as big as Texas from a square mileage perspective. And Texas also a population six times greater. If Norway was a state, it would be in the bottom half population wise. It’s smaller than Maryland.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:02 AM   #65
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Don’t take my word for it, take the word of the Canadians: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7092003
Do not believe this BS It's nothing but propaganda. I live in Canada and most everyone I know hates their EV, friends, family colleagues etc I speak to are disappointed. They all have range anxiety and claim that if they knew they would have never bought these EV. So, the real-world experience I have around me directs me to "no way" for EV.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:21 AM   #66
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
It depends on where you live. Norway’s electricity is about 90% hydroelectric. Here in France, our electricity is mostly nuclear. The UK is gas (much cleaner than coal) at 40% and renewables at 30% with coal only 13%.

If you live in an area relying on coal, then yes, that’s a problem. But it’s a problem that goes much beyond EV cars. The focus should be on changing from coal to natural gas ASAP, not trying to impede electric cars. Plus, locally, EVs will always be cleaner to breathe.

In comparison, hydrocarbons are dirty throughout the chain, from drilling to transporting to refining to more transporting to sometimes spilling to burning in a car.

So, picking on coal as the reason EVs aren’t better than ICE frankly doesn’t make sense.
Nuclear is dead on arrival in the US. It’s a declining industry. The environmentalists are killing hydroelectric in the US, as the dams disrupt the watersheds and fish migration. Renewables won’t replace fossil fuels in the US in our lifetime.

The lifecycle of battery technology is incredibly damaging to the environment. Add the future of power generation in the US will be fossil fuels for a very long time, and the grid isn’t built to sustain the demand of a large EV fleet, and you get the greatest boondoggle in the history of the USA.

But the OP is getting a new car with a nice color combo. It’s always exciting to buy a new car and we should focus more in this thread on wishing him fun times in his new ride.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2024, 12:50 AM   #67
chappuy1750

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Nuclear is dead on arrival in the US. It’s a declining industry.
I was really surprised to see a $1.5B investment to restart Holtec’s Palisades reactor in Michigan.

https://holtecinternational.com/2023...s-power-plant/
chappuy1750 is offline   Reply With Quote