The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 September 2023, 10:29 AM   #931
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
no one has even mentioned the Alyx x AP releases - glad offset from migos and drake can get another watch matching their clothes :)

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...h/apxalyx.html
I have seen a lot of coverage of those releases. For instance:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/an...liams-just-lau

https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...e-specs-price/
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 01:28 PM   #932
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post
Nice. I personally prefer the burgundy Jumbo to the discontinued green dial one (not that it matters much).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 01:33 PM   #933
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Nice. I personally prefer the burgundy Jumbo to the discontinued green dial one (not that it matters much).
Are you going to throw your hat in for the burgundy dial jumbo ?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 01:43 PM   #934
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiesh View Post
Are you going to throw your hat in for the burgundy dial jumbo ?
My favorite is still the YG Jumbo, 16202BA. I'll stick with that - my reading of the tea leaves is that it may be possible to get one, even if it takes a year or two.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 6 September 2023, 04:41 PM   #935
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
My favorite is still the YG Jumbo, 16202BA. I'll stick with that - my reading of the tea leaves is that it may be possible to get one, even if it takes a year or two.

I am in the same boat as you, but with the 16202OR! Glad that we are nog competing between each other… haha
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2023, 09:22 PM   #936
PT_91
"TRF" Member

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/d...1223BC.02.html

Another one for the Kevin Harts and Lebron James' of this world :-)
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 03:05 PM   #937
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Almost end of the year and still no ladies codes yet….
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 05:21 PM   #938
SRG89
"TRF" Member

I'd like to buy an Offshore within the next month or so. Not sure whether to wait and see what else they come out with or bite the bullet and go for what is available now.
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2023, 10:35 PM   #939
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
I'd like to buy an Offshore within the next month or so. Not sure whether to wait and see what else they come out with or bite the bullet and go for what is available now.
Go for it!
Old 8 September 2023, 05:19 AM   #940
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post
Almost end of the year and still no ladies codes yet….
I was told September 3 more weeks to go.
Old 12 September 2023, 08:11 PM   #941
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Watches and wonders in Shanghai is this week. AP is not in attendance but perhaps they will still drop a few things to piggyback on some of the press
Old 12 September 2023, 11:05 PM   #942
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Out of interest how does everybody feel about this slow evolution by brands to opt for multi-year releases?

At first I was all for it but with hindsight I can see the benefit of 'one and done' model year release event.
At least with one event a year you can plan purchases etc.
Like I mentioned previously, I'm in the market for an ROO - I'd prefer a 42mm which I feel they're seriously lacking in options in the catalogue and feel like they could release new models any day so makes me hesitant to commit to current catalogue
Old 13 September 2023, 03:48 PM   #943
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Multi year releases are to keep the momentum and interest in the brands going.
In the case of AP, it's the same watches released in different metals or colors, with some exceptions sometimes. Nothing exciting if you ask me.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2023, 03:53 PM   #944
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
In the case of AP, it's the same watches released in different metals or colors, with some exceptions sometimes. Nothing exciting if you ask me.

You seem to have a genuine distaste for AP from all of your posts. Why spend so much time trolling ithe AP sub forum?
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 06:40 AM   #945
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
You seem to have a genuine distaste for AP from all of your posts. Why spend so much time trolling ithe AP sub forum?
Well said Micky

Bit like old Mr Montgomery too…..has an axe/agenda to grind tirelessly on the forum..
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 08:01 AM   #946
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What would you like them to do?
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 08:11 AM   #947
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He’s probably a bored boomer who recently got his first iPhone and discovered how to use the internet to share his thoughts
Old 14 September 2023, 08:20 AM   #948
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Well said Micky

Bit like old Mr Montgomery too…..has an axe/agenda to grind tirelessly on the forum..

Out of curiosity, I went and looked at his posts. Seems to be a fan of the 36mm Explorer, 31mm DJ, and PP 5235 and that's pretty much it. Just about bashes every other brand. H. Mosers are ugly, Mings are ugly, BM&F's are ugly, AP's are ugly, and on and on. Which is fine as it's his prerogative. If he doesn't like these brands, why waste time trolling those sub forums and topics? What value are you bringing to the conversation?

Here he says anything smaller than a 39mm RO is for women and always has been? What makes a smaller RO different from any other watch in smaller sizes? It's ok to rock a 31mm DJ as a man, but not ok to wear a 37mm RO? Really??

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...7#post12917057

He just purchased a 31mm DJ and 36mm Explorer? Only RO's under 39 are for women and other watches in those sizes are for men?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...7#post12902707

I thought he didn't like AP, but only buys independents like Rolex, PP, and AP? I also saw an IWC, Breitling, Cartier, and what looks like a Seiko in his collection photo. Which is it? Only independents or not?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...6#post12901116

I normally don't call out folks or get confrontational on TRF, but I just couldn't help myself with this guy. Which is it? If you dislike AP so much, why do you still own a 15400?
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 14 September 2023, 03:42 PM   #949
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I went and looked at his posts. Seems to be a fan of the 36mm Explorer, 31mm DJ, and PP 5235 and that's pretty much it. Just about bashes every other brand. H. Mosers are ugly, Mings are ugly, BM&F's are ugly, AP's are ugly, and on and on. Which is fine as it's his prerogative. If he doesn't like these brands, why waste time trolling those sub forums and topics? What value are you bringing to the conversation?

Here he says anything smaller than a 39mm RO is for women and always has been? What makes a smaller RO different from any other watch in smaller sizes? It's ok to rock a 31mm DJ as a man, but not ok to wear a 37mm RO? Really??

He just purchased a 31mm DJ and 36mm Explorer? Only RO's under 39 are for women and other watches in those sizes are for men?

I thought he didn't like AP, but only buys independents like Rolex, PP, and AP? I also saw an IWC, Breitling, Cartier, and what looks like a Seiko in his collection photo. Which is it? Only independents or not?

I normally don't call out folks or get confrontational on TRF, but I just couldn't help myself with this guy. Which is it? If you dislike AP so much, why do you still own a 15400?
To respond specifically to your posts.

1) I like watches and enjoy reading people's opinions + staying updated on releases across the board. Doesn't mean i have to love (or hate all watches). I like many brands and models but would not purchase them anymore simply because i don't roll on gold - value retention is important for me.

2) The 31mm datejust is for my wife not me.

3) The explorer 1 36mm was purchased so my wife could wear it. It's mostly for her but i enjoy wearing it from time to time.

4) IWC was the engagement gift from my wife, Breitling was my parent's graduation gift back in the days, Cartier was my father's back in the 80s which he gave me, the Seiko SKX007 was an impulse purchase like 7 years ago.

5) I still own the 15400 because i got married in it. Holds sentimental value, and I happen to really love it.

So to summarize, there's no ambiguity in what I do when it comes to watch collecting. My taste has changed drastically in recent years. I am not touching any new AP as the direction the brand is taking is not to my liking at all. Independents were nobodies before COVID / BITCOIN and no one liked them except for specific collectors. Now every so called watch aficionado wants to feel special and get recognition by getting "independents" watches because they don't have access to the hot models from the big brands, while everyone was spitting on them before.

To each his own, but i don't care about your "independents" that actually if you look closely have zero innovation in what they are producing movement wise (MB&F or others). Different ways of organizing a movement yes, but no technical prowess.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2023, 04:11 PM   #950
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To respond specifically to your posts.

1) I like watches and enjoy reading people's opinions + staying updated on releases across the board. Doesn't mean i have to love (or hate all watches). I like many brands and models but would not purchase them anymore simply because i don't roll on gold - value retention is important for me.

2) The 31mm datejust is for my wife not me.

3) The explorer 1 36mm was purchased so my wife could wear it. It's mostly for her but i enjoy wearing it from time to time.

4) IWC was the engagement gift from my wife, Breitling was my parent's graduation gift back in the days, Cartier was my father's back in the 80s which he gave me, the Seiko SKX007 was an impulse purchase like 7 years ago.

5) I still own the 15400 because i got married in it. Holds sentimental value, and I happen to really love it.

So to summarize, there's no ambiguity in what I do when it comes to watch collecting. My taste has changed drastically in recent years. I am not touching any new AP as the direction the brand is taking is not to my liking at all. Independents were nobodies before COVID / BITCOIN and no one liked them except for specific collectors. Now every so called watch aficionado wants to feel special and get recognition by getting "independents" watches because they don't have access to the hot models from the big brands, while everyone was spitting on them before.

To each his own, but i don't care about your "independents" that actually if you look closely have zero innovation in what they are producing movement wise (MB&F or others). Different ways of organizing a movement yes, but no technical prowess.

Fair enough and points well taken. Only if your other posts were this genuine, I wouldn't have responded to your previous post.

We can agree to disagree on your view on some independents.
Old 17 September 2023, 08:01 AM   #951
edo
"TRF" Member

Any live pictures of gray gold Lebron 43mm? Black/blue ceramic already being delivered to customers and didn't saw even one live pic of the gray gold one...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2023, 09:49 PM   #952
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Any live pictures of gray gold Lebron 43mm? Black/blue ceramic already being delivered to customers and didn't saw even one live pic of the gray gold one...

I can help you there! Tried it on yesterday

It’a rather muted for being a gold offshore - overall I still felt it’s too much for everyday, I’m probably going to go for one of the titanium 43’s.

Beautiful watch though, think it would have worked better with a grey ceramic bezel as opposed to Ti

Also I wasn't a fan of the strap - I think it would get dirty very quickly - looked as if it was a well used strap even new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 September 2023, 01:22 AM   #953
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’a rather muted for being a gold offshore - overall I still felt it’s too much for everyday, I’m probably going to go for one of the titanium 43’s.

Beautiful watch though, think it would have worked better with a grey ceramic bezel as opposed to Ti

Also I wasn't a fan of the strap - I think it would get dirty very quickly - looked as if it was a well used strap even new.

Very nice release, but I agree with all your points (based on what I can tell from pics). I do like the grey dial very much, and I wonder if it’s the same as the grey/blue ROO 43. A grey ceramic bezel would have indeed been nice.
Thanks for sharing these pics.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 02:15 AM   #954
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
Very nice release, but I agree with all your points (based on what I can tell from pics). I do like the grey dial very much, and I wonder if it’s the same as the grey/blue ROO 43. A grey ceramic bezel would have indeed been nice.
Thanks for sharing these pics.
I'm not entirely sure if it's the same dial as the grey/blue - it did appear to be lighter, almost a more washed out colour - this is down to the materials used for case and bezel.

I've asked for the grey/blue today - obviously, it isn't available readily so will have to wait for the call in X number of days
Old 19 September 2023, 02:24 AM   #955
edo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. Looks great on your wrist. Agree about bezel, said the same thing about Japan Diver back then, but the thing that would work even better on this color scheme than ceramic would be a ceremet bezel from Trulli edition. No contest best material AP ever used for bezel.
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 05:28 AM   #956
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Thanks. Looks great on your wrist. Agree about bezel, said the same thing about Japan Diver back then, but the thing that would work even better on this color scheme than ceramic would be a ceremet bezel from Trulli edition. No contest best material AP ever used for bezel.
The Grey Gold AP looks good to me, but yes the cermet bezel, and with the Schumi screws, is my fave bezel of all.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2023, 10:09 AM   #957
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! Interesting. Too bad about all the plastic - would probably pop a bit more without the bezel protector. Need to see one IRL.
Old 20 September 2023, 01:51 PM   #958
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
I am really hoping they bring back the dual-time in the RO. Would go right to my number one on the wish list.
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 02:55 PM   #959
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_haverford View Post
I am really hoping they bring back the dual-time in the RO. Would go right to my number one on the wish list.
Agreed! Literally one of my favorite complications on ROs. Love the neo-vintage ones
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2023, 04:32 PM   #960
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha you tell him, detective
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote