Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > The Meeting Point

Closed Thread

Old 2 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #991
FinWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Dear all:

I have been reading the comments regarding the gathering in Las Vegas and the incredible desire to have blood in some hands and just kill this. I knew some of you were upset, yet I am astonished at the amount of hate. Hopefully, this can put most of you at ease; as I know some of you still hate me with all you have.

Year after year, I try to put together a reunion for watch enthusiasts in Las Vegas, on top of regional gatherings. As I have explained before, regional, one day gatherings with no NRD have a BIG no show. This creates a big burden on planning. Las Vegas is a different animal. For Vegas, minimums have to be met and everyone, from venues, open bars, restaurants and brands, need precise figures; so NRDs are a must. Every person not showing up costs. A lot.

Every year we have had presentations and private events with some brands and/or AD’s; and my intention to have a grand event is to have everyone together one evening and share our passion. This evening, as most of you have experienced, is surrounded by a certain brand/AD, there is product placement, giveaways, presents…a fantastic evening which unfortunately, leaves me in red year after year. 2018 represented over $800us to me for people who just decided to leave after dinner without paying their bill.

2019 is a special year; as even with the hate and despicable comments from some, it means my fifth year doing this. FIVE years. During the last four years, friday’s dinner had always been an issue; so I needed to find a new formula to solve this.

For ’19, a partnership raised which seemed to be the perfect option. A co-op that would mean very little per pax additional expense. I trusted this alternative and did not share the great news -I wanted to be sure about everything- only to find that nothing was up to MY standards. Bills went higher, gifts were held hostage and we all were presented with a $75/pax bill to pay. Did you see product placement? Presentations? Giveaways? Well, this co-op did not work.

As much as I would like to share the details, there are two very important things I do consider: One, people in organizations change. Blaming a company will close that door FOREVER. Officials will change. I do not want to close shut a door with anyone. Second, some of you have had the initiative to write to the brands and complain about ME. That is a new low. Wow. Even when Friday evening went bad, some will not rest until they KILL this. Yes, I have been contacted by the brands, who fully support me.

The whole concept of Vegas is to SHARE with you contacts, VIP information and/or access to exclusive timepieces. How much does this cost? Just dinner, alone, is in excess of $12,000us (excluding ‘surprises’). Add contributions for drinks (NOT all brands provide ‘free drinks’, this is a co-op! Did you know that one year I had to BUY the champagne glasses AND the champagne for YOU to drink?!). Putting together Las Vegas takes, without personal time, about $25,000us. ‘Oh you can do it cheaper’….well, easy to say; different to make it happen.

‘Transparency’ has been yelled. I agree. I have shared how much dinner was supposed to cost and the unfortunate events that unfolded in an effort to provide a BETTER experience. It failed. But I can not share very single detail as some here are forwarding my words to the brands to blame me. Wow. Your efforts to KILL this is unique. But only a few talk about what did work. And worked like a charm. No one, may I say NO ONE, is asking you for your money at ‘every corner’; yet several of you bought unique timepieces. Why? Because this event gave YOU the opportunity to do so. I get no commission, no freebies; not even my room is paid for. This is all FOR YOU.

Over the last few years, I have shared with you unique contacts that have helped YOU acquire unique timepieces, most of times with substantial discounts. This does not justify the not-to-par performance we had on Friday; yet I do know that you have bought over ONE MILLION us in watches from these contacts. Your savings? Hundreds of thousands and even invites to VIP events. What do I get? Nothing. My only reward is to see you happy and to share people I know. Again, this is no excuse for underperforming; but this was an honest mistake I made by trusting an organization which did not live up to my standard.

What happened on Thursday evening? I trusted another organization. And it went flawless. Perfect. Beyond perfection. And Friday, the unique, this is the FIRST TIME EVER WORLDWIDE, opportunity to buy those watches with years in waiting lists? Pristine! Sadly; it is more important by some to just kill this. It seems it is more important not to let anyone shine; let’s KILL him. First time EVER anyone has this opportunity? It does not matter; let’s KILL it. That $75us/pax mistake is much more important than the EIGHT timepieces we made available.

My mistake was trying to fix something that was broken; only to find that it had only been semi-broken and we were much better in ’18. I trusted a large organization and everything blew up in my hands. I should have invested more time and money to avoid this, bringing the overall expenses way over $25k.

Some have expressed how unfair it is to expect something for a price and have a new price show up last minute; I completely agree and feel very ashamed about how this unfolded. What is the right way to do it? Maybe it is wiping off dinner. Maybe it is rising NRD and including drinks, sorry for those who do not drink. Maybe it is a new co-op with someone who can deliver. Maybe it is something else. I have to continue working to find the right ‘how’.

For all of you haters, you would love to kill this; to see me fail, to put my face down in the mud. It takes a lot of nerve to shake my hand in Las Vegas and then accuse me while sitting behind your computer. You do not like what I am doing? Man up and tell me up front, just as some others did. I can take it. I am a grown man. But taking my hand and then making that post…that is LOW.

For me, I once again apologize for that co-op; it did get out of hand. But for all of those who know me, I can confirm that I am learning from this and looking for ways to share with YOU this amazing passion. As always, I will continue posting watches, travel, food and family; and will strive to comply with this great forum’s rules. I have the highest respect for Steve and ALL moderators, when they have given me a pat in the back and also when they have told me ‘no-no’. As for you, my haters, I hope you find better things to do. I have made some unique friends which I cherish and talk to daily; I do NOT need you nor your hate. E-mailing brands and attacking me after I shook your hand….you are truly LOW.

Thank you all for your time. Today is a holiday and I plan to spend it with my FAMILY. And Thursday, I have another watch gathering. Yes, no deposits, so let’s see how many actually show up. I am sure I will see happy faces and with just one, I will also be happy.

See you soon.

Dear Gerardo,

You are very good sharing your emotions. It is hard to read the facts behind all your emotional reactions. This is not all about you and your emotions.

I tried to talk with you face to face on Friday evening. I expressed myself very clearly and honestly to you and AP manager. You left the situation without saying anything in the middle of my sentence and I didn’t hear from you after that. You refused to answer to my PM’s. Other people tried also to communicate with you, but experienced the same as I did.

BTW: What giftbags? There were many (myself included) who didn’t get any giftbags. Zero.

I am trying to understand you, but I just can’t. It is clear that it’s hard for you to take this negative feedback from the event that you organized. You asked money for organizing this event, please try to take some responsibility.

I would appreciate a lot if you could please share the facts and try to answer our legimitate questions. If you would have answered all the questions asked privately on Friday, we would’nt be her debating.

No-one is trying to kill you, this isn’t that dramatic.

I hope all the best to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #992
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post
Dear Gerardo,

You are very good sharing your emotions. It is hard to read the facts behind all your emotional reactions. This is not all about you and your emotions.
I totally agree here.

Gerardo you have not explained anything in your write up. People want to know where the money went and how much money did AP, and others add to the pot.

These are simple questions + this - that ....
Old 2 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #993
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajurama View Post
The reply OP gave just blew the chance he had to clarify. As hes clearly refusing the need to be transparent. I am guessing his emotions took better control of him while replying.
I notice you are not listed as one of the WISCON 2019 attendees. Is that an oversight or are you picking apart an event you had nothing to do with?
Old 2 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #994
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalf123 View Post
I was one who left before a bill was presented (and the goodie bags). Missed out on some hats and other goodies I guess.
I still haven’t paid but not for lack of trying. G’s initial email said to call the restaurant, then I hear a TRF member paid ,others are saying pay G (not a chance if a TRF member paid already).

So WHO do I pay ? Waiting on an email response from G but if the TRF member who paid would let me know I’m more than happy to reimburse my share.

Like the rest I was shocked at the way we were misled and felt dinner and wine was taken care of by the NRD and AP but happy to pay my share. The member who paid can please DM me if you don’t want to post here.

Tom

Thanks Tom for speaking up, I think this thread needs clarification and I am glad you added your experience. In no way was I trying to label anyone, but there were a lot of answered questions. Thank you for clarifying, even though you don’t need to justify yourself to me.

Old 2 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #995
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
For the past 10 years I have done about
6 corporate trips a year in Vegas with various stakeholder groups of our business. The trips are all 3 to 5 day trips and they have ranged in total cost from $30,000 to a couple that were $500k each. Range in size from 5 to 25 people. We have done it all, a couple of years we even did the week long Wayne Gretzky fantasy camp. I will be honest it is a bit of a head scratcher as to how you were able to do all of the above for $222 a head in Vegas. I should hire you guys in future.

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube
You need better sponsors. The sponsors covered expenses for the event. And it appears that there wouldn ‘t have been any issues if the event was limited to 50 people, as expected by the dinner sponsor. It likely could have been offered for free, the NRD just used as a place holder.
Old 2 May 2019, 02:44 AM   #996
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey View Post
I totally agree here.

Gerardo you have not explained anything in your write up. People want to know where the money went and how much money did AP, and others add to the pot.

These are simple questions + this - that ....
Duey, I notice you are not listed as one of the WISCON 2019 attendees. Is that an oversight or are you picking apart an event you had nothing to do with?
Old 2 May 2019, 02:48 AM   #997
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinWatch View Post

BTW: What giftbags? There were many (myself included) who didn’t get any giftbags. Zero.
How could you miss them if you were there? I suddenly saw people with bags and asked "what's that" got pointed where to go. I found the bars doing the same thing. I wonder if some of you guys are already in such tight clicks that you didn't branch out and find anything new. Like the goodie bags, a good time was there to be found. You just had to open yourself to the idea.
Old 2 May 2019, 02:49 AM   #998
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I notice you are not listed as one of the WISCON 2019 attendees. Is that an oversight or are you picking apart an event you had nothing to do with?
I am part of the TRF where this being discussed and till now have posted nothing to escalate or bring down anything related to the event. Please feel free to go through all my posts since 2008. I am not here for popcorn. I am hopeful that this issue which is raised gets sorted. Period.

I was very keen to join 2020 gathering as per the initial reviews.

Sent from my Z2121 using Tapatalk
Old 2 May 2019, 02:54 AM   #999
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
[QUOTE=RTG;9594013]Duey, I notice you are not listed as one of the WISCON 2019 attendees. Is that an oversight or are you picking apart an event you had nothing to do with?[/QUOTE

I too am part of the TRF where this being discussed and till now have posted nothing to escalate or bring down anything related to the event. Please feel free to go through all my posts since 2011. I am not here for popcorn. I am hopeful that this issue which is raised gets sorted. Period.
Old 2 May 2019, 02:55 AM   #1000
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Duey, I notice you are not listed as one of the WISCON 2019 attendees. Is that an oversight or are you picking apart an event you had nothing to do with?
Are you Gerardo’s attorney or business manager? If not, how about you let him explain the finances.

Maybe getting this in the open will solve the issue for next year. Because keeping it in the dark the last three years clearly hasn’t improved the experience.

As for standing, I paid $300 NRD for the event. Had I been there, the dinner fiasco would have ruined the trip for me. I would still be livid. Travel, hotels, and vacation days burnt on the Event have value, just as the NRD does. This should be resolved before the 2020 contracts are let.
Old 2 May 2019, 03:21 AM   #1001
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I don’t think you had to be at the event to be concerned about the issue raised. It affects anyone who is potentially interested in future events. Hopefully we can have a civil discussion about this.
Old 2 May 2019, 03:31 AM   #1002
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
*F*I*F*T*H***Anniversary VEGAS 2*0*1*9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I don’t think you had to be at the event to be concerned about the issue raised. It affects anyone who is potentially interested in future events. Hopefully we can have a civil discussion about this.
I Agree Mike.

This Discussion is not about KILLING the GTG or HATING The Organizer, It Is About Making Future GTG's BETTER!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 2 May 2019, 03:37 AM   #1003
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
I Agree Mike.

This Discussion is not about KILLING the GTG or HATING The Organizer, It Is About Making Future GTG's BETTER!
That's what I'm looking for. I'm interested in 2020 so I can see all the great watches!
Old 2 May 2019, 03:40 AM   #1004
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
I see these posts demanding no NRD. I assume many of them are from people who didn't attend and have no bone in this fight.

But for those who did attend: How many of you think this event should be organized for free? If you do, what do you expect to get for free and who do you expect to organize it for free? You guys are blowing my mind. I would never ask a human to work for free. I also would not do the amount of work Gerardo did for 12K in deposits.

Shows at the Wynn, Palazzo, Bellagio (where our events were hosted) routinely cost over $300 per ticket and a single drink will set you back 15-25 dollars. We got a ton for our money. The only issue I see is lack of communication before the dinner. That needs to change. But is it really worth blowing this whole thing up?
Couldn't agree more.
I sure as hell wouldn't do it. Not even if I cashed all the NRDs.
I am sure all of that was not organized via email either and required at least one flight and stay in LV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
RobearH - Why did you bring my token of sincere appreciation to Gerardo into this? You used my gift to Gerardo as a prop jab against him in my humble opinion. What significance did it lend to the discussion here? Gerardo thanked others and me out of being polite and grateful for receiving those items.

Did you know what it was for? Well....how could you? I wasn't there.

I would appreciate an apology, and as well to Gerardo, because these personal presents are outside the realm of the dinner discussion. DM
Well said, DM.
Some are just too desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
So when is 2020 event?
No idea, but I had a blast and already signed up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosbevok View Post
For the past 10 years I have done about
6 corporate trips a year in Vegas with various stakeholder groups of our business. The trips are all 3 to 5 day trips and they have ranged in total cost from $30,000 to a couple that were $500k each. Range in size from 5 to 25 people. We have done it all, a couple of years we even did the week long Wayne Gretzky fantasy camp. I will be honest it is a bit of a head scratcher as to how you were able to do all of the above for $222 a head in Vegas. I should hire you guys in future.

See me at Bosbevok on YouTube

People don't get it though. Everybody holds their palms open when they want.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
Old 2 May 2019, 03:54 AM   #1005
RTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Are you Gerardo’s attorney or business manager? If not, how about you let him explain the finances.

Maybe getting this in the open will solve the issue for next year. Because keeping it in the dark the last three years clearly hasn’t improved the experience.

As for standing, I paid $300 NRD for the event. Had I been there, the dinner fiasco would have ruined the trip for me. I would still be livid. Travel, hotels, and vacation days burnt on the Event have value, just as the NRD does. This should be resolved before the 2020 contracts are let.
Lets build from what we have in common. I also paid $300 NRD for myself and a +1. That said, i would never let anything ruin a trip to Vegas. I love Vegas far to much to be brought down by $70. Would you really let a whole trip to Vegas be ruined by $70? That seems extreme.

I don't represent Gerardo but I feel like I should. I never met him prior to Thursday at the Wynn Parasol bar. In fact, I struggle to spell his name right (Gerardo Geraldo, then remembering the G is an H, this is beyond me). Despite that, I feel the urge to defend what was a fun, interesting set of events. I enjoyed Wiscon tremendously, learned a ton and met very intelligent people. I got to hold and wear watches I may never have seen in my life. All this was well worth the NRD and a little hassle.

To help with 2020 I would be willing to custom craft black/white, bullet point emails for scheduling reasons. This might help us left-side brained people. Gerardo's emails need to be read, I prefer to look or glance. I would even let my wife spell check so the rest of you know what the heck I meant to say.
  • Thursday 5PM: Breguet @ Ballagio: Get buzzed, buy watch and ask for goodie bag!
  • Friday 3PM: Rolex @ Wynn: Bring luck, drink champagne served by a beautiful lady
  • Friday 6PM: Bring money to Lavo @ Palazzo. Eat, drink and chat. Leave $100 on the table or be savagely beaten.

I get that the dinner bill was an unexpected bomb to many. But did $70 really ruin entire trips to Vegas? I can't see this. To me this whole thread has been blown out of proportion.
Old 2 May 2019, 03:58 AM   #1006
djhiram
Banned

Watch: 16600 Sea Dweller
I was not an attendee so I can’t comment on what transpired but I will say this. Sometimes sponsorhips require non disclosure agreements to be signed prior to. I am not saying this is the case here, but maybe that would explain why specific numbers can’t be discussed.

“The first rule of fight club is we do not talk about fight club.”
Old 2 May 2019, 03:58 AM   #1007
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

I lean on the “I don’t care” side but people do have a legitimate right to ask how their money was spent especially when things don’t add up. G states, in his response, that dinner cost $12k and the event itself was $25k. The NRD collected came out to $12k. So even without a failed sponsorship, why was there $75 extra for dinner? The NRD should have been able to cover it all. As for the failed sponsorship, having been to many AP events I find it inexplicable that AP would have dropped the ball this badly plus some are stating that AP did cover dinner/drinks for 50 people. I’m no accountant but generally things should balance out. And if the event cost $25k (assuming $12k is dinner), why did G have to burden himself with $13k in added cost? NRD should be much more.
Old 2 May 2019, 04:00 AM   #1008
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
first let me just say that I did not attend. I am registered for 2020. I have read every post here. I have met G. I have ate lunch with G. I have no dog in this fight either way. But this is not the first time this issue has arisen. In fact in 2017 (July) there was a post by G himself related to some disgruntled people inquiring about the GTG earlier in April. I even did a write up on G. I really dont care how my NRD is spent FWIW. For the events alone, no dinner, I am good with the $150.

There were 73 registered guests here plus the organizer. we heard 85-90 were there. here is the post: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=380

I have no idea what happened with the dinner sponsor but if they were told 50 and 90 showed up that is a problem because at least 73 people were slated to go.

What is confusing is the cost of the food and the reservation cost of the venue, if any.

In reading G's response the cost of the dinner food was $12,000 without the additional food charge on Friday of $850 per table (per prior posts). It is unclear how much extra food was charged.

If the cost is $75 per person why did G state the dinner cost was $12,000? $75 x 90 is $6,750. Perhaps there was a charge for the room which would make sense. If there was no room charge then according to G the cost was $12,000 plus another $2,550 ($850 x 3 tables). This is $14,550 for 90 people or $161 per person without tax. Perhaps the disconnect is the cost associated with the rental of the room. Or perhaps the dinner cost that much for food in Vegas. I do not know Vegas but I know it is not cheap.

The sponsor had limited gift bags. It appears for only 50 people. Why would this be if we all know there were at least 73 people registered without the "quite a few 'private' #!!!!" being unaccounted for? Obviously the sponsor had no idea more than XYZ amount of people were showing up. I do not think them pulling gift bags had anything to do with finances. Perhaps I am wrong. It makes more sense they didn't want people to be left out and look like they dropped the ball.

What would make sense to me is the sponsor paying $75 pax x 50 people. The additional charge being for the 35-40 people the sponsor did not know about. But here is the thing, without knowing the ultimate cost of the dinner including the room reservation the numbers make little sense. Usually these things are pre-paid, in part or full, with groups this large.

If the sponsor committed to paying for 50 and paid for 50 it is not unreasonable for them to say no more when on the day of the event nearly double the number of people showed up. Unless of course one person said no problem and then when it came to the actual dollars portion another person said no way.

I think clarity is in order here.

Eliot

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 2 May 2019, 04:41 AM   #1009
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
[QUOTE=SG56;9594171]Couldn't agree more.
Well said, DM.

People don't get it though. QUOTE]

Sorry maam, we never had the pleasure of meeting during the event...so please do not assume to know my motivation!

Actually it looks like some people are only on a singular side and not open to both which clearly shows they don't get it as well.

P.S. If any respected members want to call me and hear in my own words as to why I am so bothered about Friday PM me for my #...I will pick one to reply too.
Old 2 May 2019, 05:02 AM   #1010
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Well said, DM.

People don't get it though.

Sorry maam, we never had the pleasure of meeting during the event...so please do not assume to know my motivation!

Actually it looks like some people are only on a singular side and not open to both which clearly shows they don't get it as well.
Hm, I don't get it. What do G's socks have to do with it?

Maybe we auction the socks to cover the cost?

Anyhow, I'm out of this discussion.

People want to know where their money went?
I'd start with 1 + 1 and continue.

I'm good!

I wish you all peace and content. Enjoy life. Don't sweat the little things.

Tea
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
Old 2 May 2019, 05:08 AM   #1011
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex

Full disclosure, I registered for ‘18 and had a business conflict. I am already registered for ‘20 and plan to attend.

My assistant plans events this size and larger for me all the time. She has done it for years. It’s still stressful, challenging, and surprises still sometimes happen.

Gerardo, to my knowledge, is not a professional event organizer. It’s clear that this has grown both larger and more complicated than I believe he originally expected.

Asking for clarification of why he advertised dinner included and it was not fully included makes sense to me.

Making suggestions for how to improve the logistics and financial management of the event would likely be a helpful and productive conversation if Gerardo is open to the help.

Leaping to allegations of theft, fraud, etc seem way out of hand. Gerardo is very clearly passionate about this and interested in the long term future of the events. He’s not getting rich on some “leftover” portion of the $15k in deposits.

If his note is true that people are bad mouthing him or the event to Rolex, AP, Breguet, Cartier, etc, they’re really only hurting those who might like to attend future events. It also harms TRF’s reputation. As a business operator, I’d be very unlikely to get involved with hosting or sponsoring anything for “those crazy people” who can’t resolve their own internal issues.

Finally, while the overall frustration is understandable in principle, the level of heat being generated over $100 or $150 in the grand scheme of the event seems way out of proportion.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in Vegas next year.
Old 2 May 2019, 05:18 AM   #1012
edyu

Thank you Gerardo for organizing the event despite the hiccups. I was glad to have met some cool people and some old friends from last year.

1. I feel that some has strong feelings whether Gerardo made anything extra out of this. Why would it be so sinful if he does? (He probably didn't from what he said which I do believe deserve the benefit of the doubt.) Organizing events like this especially coordinating with different brands is not easy and unless he lives in Vegas could be very expensive. Someone has to pay.
2. Yes the dinner was ridiculously expensive and they should have done what was done last year where people get individual drink checks. And for a large group gratuity should have been included in the check anyways so should be factored in in the NRD. But hey in the overall scheme of things $85 - $100 each for our table is expensive but acceptable. I normally don't drink so I personally hate having drinks included in meals.
3. I don't know why anything extra such as $100 is such a big deal. I paid for drinks for that small group gathering at Parasol earlier and I believe Deetee from last year paid way more generously during that last day gathering. We all frigging wear Rolexes and $100 is really not a big deal.

I do think next year we should just do the buffet and each individual can order his/her own drink ticket when we go in.
And those who have not paid you can simply pay Gerardo and he should pass it along to whoever that individual is. Doesn't matter how rich he/she is, it's our responsibility not his/hers. I'm sure Gerardo will pass the money to that generous individual.

Anyways, I understand the frustration and I think that dinner was too expensive (and I enjoyed Capital Grille better) but still that's due to the restaurant not because of Gerardo so don't blame him.
Old 2 May 2019, 05:45 AM   #1013
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
What do G's socks have to do with it?
Shouldn't we be discussing G-Shocks rather than G's socks?

I was not there, but think it would be fun to be there. I haven’t read all 33 pages of the pre-planning, the event, and the post-event issues, but have read some of the last few days of posts.

My comments and suggestions are:

1) Gerardo, or anyone else, would have to put in a LOT of time to make this event happen, especially when he doesn’t live in Las Vegas. I don’t know where the 1,000 hours comes from, but if anyone is spending a half year of full-time hours putting together a weekend in Vegas something is wrong.

2) If Gerardo, or anyone else, endeavors to put this together and be paid for their efforts, that is their prerogative. But any fees charged should be communicated beforehand so that people can make their own decision as to whether they want to be part of a “professionally planned” watch get together or not.

3) The Friday dinner costs and experience appear to be the main issue. And it sounds like it’s a problem every year. Why not just have an optional pay-as-you-go happy hour meet at a bar on Friday followed by an optional buffet dinner somewhere so people can pay for themselves and get what they want? I have spent a little time but not much in LV, and $200 pp buys a much better experience than this restaurant provided. After a few get togethers, Friday night could also easily split off into small, more manageable groups with each deciding what they want to do.

4) Instead of AP or someone sponsoring the dinner and I guess making a presentation, why not just do it at their boutique or wherever they want to and not have it be a major meal?

Then the NRD could be for incidentals, expenses, badges, whatever.

That’s my 2 cents…
Old 2 May 2019, 05:51 AM   #1014
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Full disclosure, I registered for ‘18 and had a business conflict. I am already registered for ‘20 and plan to attend.

My assistant plans events this size and larger for me all the time. She has done it for years. It’s still stressful, challenging, and surprises still sometimes happen.

Gerardo, to my knowledge, is not a professional event organizer. It’s clear that this has grown both larger and more complicated than I believe he originally expected.

Asking for clarification of why he advertised dinner included and it was not fully included makes sense to me.

Making suggestions for how to improve the logistics and financial management of the event would likely be a helpful and productive conversation if Gerardo is open to the help.

Leaping to allegations of theft, fraud, etc seem way out of hand. Gerardo is very clearly passionate about this and interested in the long term future of the events. He’s not getting rich on some “leftover” portion of the $15k in deposits.

If his note is true that people are bad mouthing him or the event to Rolex, AP, Breguet, Cartier, etc, they’re really only hurting those who might like to attend future events. It also harms TRF’s reputation. As a business operator, I’d be very unlikely to get involved with hosting or sponsoring anything for “those crazy people” who can’t resolve their own internal issues.

Finally, while the overall frustration is understandable in principle, the level of heat being generated over $100 or $150 in the grand scheme of the event seems way out of proportion.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in Vegas next year.
I've stayed out of this because of how heated the discussion became. I share Bob's feelings. This was my fourth time coming to the Vegas GTG and always had an incredible time. And, it is true the dinners never work out smoothly. Trying to get people to pay after a bill has been dropped on a large table is like herding cats. Especially when a large bill isn't expected. I do want to focus on one specific comment from Bob. Complaining to the watch brands isn't good for anyone. It only hurts. AP was the co-sponsor for dinner. Not Rolex. Not Cartier. Not Breitling. You get the point. This only hurts future GTG's. Personally, I've made a lot of good friends here that I meet up with throughout the year. I WILL be in Vegas next year to hang out with all my watch buddies. I am positive this will get resolved. Emotions are high right now and I get it. I would like to ask those who are extremely upset to not bring in parties like Rolex, etc that had nothing to do with the dinner. That is where the anger is focused. Every other event was fabulous.
Old 2 May 2019, 06:10 AM   #1015
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It also harms TRF’s reputation.
I think we need to be crystal clear on this point: these are not TRF sanctioned or affiliated events. This was discussed many times in the past and it was made clear that TRF was not to be associated with this.
Old 2 May 2019, 06:14 AM   #1016
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think we need to be crystal clear on this point: these are not TRF sanctioned or affiliated events. This was discussed many times in the past and it was made clear that TRF was not to be associated with this.

Breguet CEO: Very cool group of watch enthusiasts you have here. How did you all meet?

WIS-CON attendee: We’re all active on the TRF website... etc.

I’m quite sure that the opportunity to get 50 or 100 expensive watch buyers who are active on “social media” together is a part of what makes brands willing to sponsor events for this type of gathering.

Official or not, it’s naive to believe that TRF would avoid mention.
Old 2 May 2019, 06:14 AM   #1017
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Thank you very much! This is exactly the issue. Anyone who thinks these questions are not necessary are simply burying their heads in the sand. It is NOT an issue that has occurred just this year. It has happened for three years in a row, always with an excuse.

The AboutLife organization's website clearly states they take responsibility for the events planned. This is all we are asking for.
Old 2 May 2019, 06:28 AM   #1018
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Breguet CEO: Very cool group of watch enthusiasts you have here. How did you all meet?

WIS-CON attendee: We’re all active on the TRF website... etc.

I’m quite sure that the opportunity to get 50 or 100 expensive watch buyers who are active on “social media” together is a part of what makes brands willing to sponsor events for this type of gathering.

Official or not, it’s naive to believe that TRF would avoid mention.
Bob,
I’m not disagreeing with you but TRF management was explicit that they didn’t want any association with these events as a condition of letting G promote them on TRF. I’m just repeating what we were told.

Mike
Old 2 May 2019, 06:37 AM   #1019
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Bob,

I’m not disagreeing with you but TRF management was explicit that they didn’t want any association with these events as a condition of letting G promote them on TRF. I’m just repeating what we were told.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I remember those discussions. It wasn’t my intent to imply any direct association or endorsement by TRF. Mea culpa.
Old 2 May 2019, 06:41 AM   #1020
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX

Quote:
Bob,

Mike
Kind of Right Mike but TRF has supported this GTG & AboutLife or it would not be able to do it?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=635693

(i) LINKS TO REPLICA, PERSONAL OR COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE WEBSITES or BLOGS, UNLESS WITH FULL PRIOR ADMIN PERMISSION,USING TRF FOR GROUP BUYS IS PROHIBITED,AND ANY FORM OF SELLING WHATSOEVER UNLESS WITH FULL ADMIN PERMISSION AND IN FOR-SALE FORUM ONLY..

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Closed Thread