The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2012, 09:55 AM   #91
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Only on TRF would someone equate the cost of a wedding to the cost of a Rolex! What a wonderful place.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 10:11 AM   #92
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Are you asking whether to do a wedding (the ceremony/party) or to get married?

If your style is to have a low-key wedding, with a few relatives, instead of a big ceremony, then go for it. We had about 110 people at our wedding, and it was a nice way to celebrate this milestone. But, I know others who were just as happy with a small event.

If your girlfriend wants the big ceremony (as many women do) then I don't see why not...over time she'll be doing things and going to events for you that she would prefer not to (hosting Thanksgiving dinner for her in-laws, for example! )

If budget is an issue then of course don't go insane with a wedding. We had a daytime wedding to cut down on costs (not as much alcohol consumed), and used a DJ instead of a live band.

As to marriage itself, after almost 21 years of marriage, I am so happy to be sharing life with a partner. It is definitely worth it to be married to the right person.

Congratulations!
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 01:43 PM   #93
rolio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Birdies
You only NEED 4 things: a Great girlfriend, who you can see from time to time; a nice Weber; a good dog; and something to watch the game on. (I'm easy to please.) After 33 years of marriage, and only one, I've carved it down to only the most important 4. The list used to be longer. Now if you want kids, that's different.

Rolex~By way of an extraordinary life,
and all the simple pleasures it has to offer
~
rolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 02:59 PM   #94
patek.wis
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Sky
Do whatever you want, but do yourself a favor and get an iron clad prenup.
Make sure that all your investments and assets are protected - see a lawyer.

:)
patek.wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 05:39 PM   #95
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Puffs,

Married for 43 years (3 wives, 8 kids, 12 grandkids) and my ex-wives are still sort of friends with me.

I highly recommend you marry this lady as you seem to care for her very much.
That is all that really matters in the long run.
PM me when you name the day. I'll see you in Sydney for a few ales.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 08:57 PM   #96
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys

It's the circus I don't want and already half the females in her family are pestering me

My offer of a fully expensed week in Barbados still stand

re assets, don't worry they're safe, a wedding outside my country of citizenship is not legally binding so in a worst case scenario can't be touched

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 9 June 2012, 09:01 PM   #97
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi Puffs,

Married for 43 years (3 wives, 8 kids, 12 grandkids) and my ex-wives are still sort of friends with me.

I highly recommend you marry this lady as you seem to care for her very much.
That is all that really matters in the long run.
PM me when you name the day. I'll see you in Sydney for a few ales.
Eddie you're like some African chief or Italian Don!!!
Like it
Thanks for offer of ales, always keen on those

Old 9 June 2012, 09:54 PM   #98
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolio View Post
You only NEED 4 things: a Great girlfriend, who you can see from time to time; a nice Weber; a good dog; and something to watch the game on. (I'm easy to please.) After 33 years of marriage, and only one, I've carved it down to only the most important 4. The list used to be longer. Now if you want kids, that's different.
Boy you got that list just perfect.

Only thing I would modify is Girlfriend(s) plural.
And substitute a Big Green Egg for Weber
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2012, 10:03 PM   #99
Linzjnr

Watch: My bank balance!
Best thing I ever did, if you love her it will be awesome and make her (and you) happy. Before I got married I used to laugh and say how can a ring and piece of paper make any difference when we're already happy...trust me it makes a difference. Just go with it, it might cost two SkyDwellers but it is an investment of a different kind and if you love her then it will pay interest. Good luck.
Old 9 June 2012, 11:20 PM   #100
speedo
"TRF" Member

Watch: dj 16234, 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Nowadays spending $75-125k on a wedding isn't that unusual.
we definitely live in two very different worlds....

btw, i am very much pro marriage but i do hate weddings. had ours with just the very close family (we could order a la carte...) no special dress, no anything just our favourite song and a very short ceremony and i could not be happier.
stag parties rock however!

instagram: modus_horologicus
speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:34 AM   #101
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
Thanks guys

It's the circus I don't want and already half the females in her family are pestering me

My offer of a fully expensed week in Barbados still stand

re assets, don't worry they're safe, a wedding outside my country of citizenship is not legally binding so in a worst case scenario can't be touched

Puffy if you're girfriend doesn't want to take the all-expenses paid trip to Barbados I could get away for a week!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:39 AM   #102
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Like it

Indeed, what would we do without our mentor!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:51 AM   #103
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I'm confused.... you ask about "Marriage"... but you're really asking about the wedding?

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 01:24 AM   #104
MoBe
"TRF" Member

I know it`s already been said but let me reiterate;is this really the place for this kind of advice?
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 01:49 AM   #105
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post

I know it`s already been said but let me reiterate;is this really the place for this kind of advice?
Yeah...ya think?
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 02:23 AM   #106
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post

....Puff must be desperate
Old 10 June 2012, 03:51 AM   #107
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
Quote:
So I'm no longer able to stall what my girlfriend really wants: getting married

To me the whole thing is a lot of hassle that will take up people's time and run into the cost of two SkyDwellers.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Should I agree to over a year of unnecessary stress and fights over utter nonsense?
Been there, done that, and done it again. Its just a piece of paper for me. What matters is the commitment. If she truely wants to spend the rest of her life with you, why pressure you into marriage if you are not ready? You live together, blah blah.... Marriage has its plus and Minuses. Like if one of you goes first and there are a huge estate to be transferred etc....

this is really simple for me. The mere fact you are asking the question means you are not totally sure. But like what my dad says when he was teaching me about the birds and the bees to always use protection. So if you are getting married DO NOT SKIP THE PRE-NUP!!! you will thank me later. Even if you believe its not going to happen. An ounce of prevention is better than an ton of cure...

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:18 AM   #108
lavaman
Banned

Watch: what happens next
pre nups dont mean squat and 48/50 states are community property, so what you had before is yours and what you aquire is joint, period.

pre nups are just a way for one group of fam attorneys to earn some fees up front and for the rest of us divorce attorneys to punch holes in them and earn our fees later, which we do.

save yourself the cash.
lavaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:36 AM   #109
Sarajevo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600371701
I think weddings should be like cancer surgery - do it once and do it right. Forget about the cost, if you have been told by a person with whom you cannot argue that it is necessary, just get it done and spend the rest of your life enjoying the benefits.
Sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 09:54 AM   #110
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_V View Post
I'm confused.... you ask about "Marriage"... but you're really asking about the wedding?
Spot on Joe...

Anders....As you are undoubtably aware, no one here can give you advice on whether to marry. That would be absurd and based on their narrow and very personal experience. Unlike watches this does not translate unless there's an intimate knowledge of who you and your partner are.

So...as we are really talking about the wedding...

We had a small affair...about 50 guests and an intimate ceremony. Amazing party and celebration with the people we really wanted there. It was a wonderful day.

That was what my wife and I wanted. That's what we had.

There was never any doubt in my mind about marrying Alison. If there was I would not have done it.

Weddings come and go mate.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:02 AM   #111
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Over the course of a marriage, you may find that actually planning a wedding is far from a truly big decisions. If you can't compromise and figure out a solution that works, you shouldn't get married. Your future home, children, day to day financial decisions...pfft...a wedding day is nothing.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:03 AM   #112
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Tip View Post
Only on TRF would someone equate the cost of a wedding to the cost of a Rolex! What a wonderful place.

Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:11 AM   #113
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Do what YOU feel is right, and when it is right to do it. I hope it all gets worked by you and your GF.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:15 AM   #114
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
How I came to get married. It was all very logical.

It all started because, at first, I wanted to have a dog. In order to get a dog, I needed a yard. In order to get a yard, I needed a house. In order to get the house I wanted, I needed a second income. In order to get a second income I had to get a girl friend. In order to get a girlfriend, I needed to go out on dates, and in order to go out on a lot of dates. In order to go out on a lot of dates, I needed to be out almost every night of the week. In order to go out every night of the week, I was usually out all night. In order to be to all night, I could not be home to walk a dog. In order to be home to walk a dog, I needed the girlfriend to be home with me more than I was out. In order to have the girlfriend be home, 7 nights and 7 mornings a week, I needed the girlfriend to come live with me. In order to get the girlfriend to come live with me, I needed to get married. In order to get married I had to buy a huge diamond ring, and another Rolex (for her) and have a huge wedding ceremony (that's what she wanted). This was a lot of trouble to go to get a dog. But it was worth it.

Because I got the dog.

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:18 AM   #115
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

With the right person, it is wonderful. With the wrong person, it is living hell.
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 10:55 AM   #116
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmbeauleap View Post
I like being married but marriage and the wedding are two different things. If we could do it over again we would have skipped the whole ceremony monstrosity and just go on a nice trip. Maybe throw a party when we get back.
That's exactly what happened with me. We were already on a cruise in Alaska so we just planned ahead and got married during our stop in Juneau.

Now the party is next month. No stress involved. Good luck.

Cheers,

David
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:38 AM   #117
RolexPete32
"TRF" Member

Watch: You know... Rolex
Cost alot of money yes but if you do it right you can make money. I did and here was how.
Work for a food business then hit up your suppliers, be your own chef. Get your company to give you a nice location. They own or rent enough places. Then take in the presents but put the word out you really need cash as gifts. All your suppliers such as flower companies hit them up as well. Get deals discontinued wine etc. In the end we paid about 1000 bucks and recived close to 10,000 in gifts.

We waited years to set this up. It took years to plan but being a young couple we did not want to spend 20 to 40 thousand bucks while paying rent and not yet having a car etc... now wedding rings and honeymoon not much a deal on that. Custom work was worth it for the rings.
RolexPete32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:44 AM   #118
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewithabob View Post
How I came to get married. It was all very logical.

It all started because, at first, I wanted to have a dog. In order to get a dog, I needed a yard. In order to get a yard, I needed a house. In order to get the house I wanted, I needed a second income. In order to get a second income I had to get a girl friend. In order to get a girlfriend, I needed to go out on dates, and in order to go out on a lot of dates. In order to go out on a lot of dates, I needed to be out almost every night of the week. In order to go out every night of the week, I was usually out all night. In order to be to all night, I could not be home to walk a dog. In order to be home to walk a dog, I needed the girlfriend to be home with me more than I was out. In order to have the girlfriend be home, 7 nights and 7 mornings a week, I needed the girlfriend to come live with me. In order to get the girlfriend to come live with me, I needed to get married. In order to get married I had to buy a huge diamond ring, and another Rolex (for her) and have a huge wedding ceremony (that's what she wanted). This was a lot of trouble to go to get a dog. But it was worth it.

Because I got the dog.
The best answer yet.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 11:55 AM   #119
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Like it

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2012, 12:16 PM   #120
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
So I'm no longer able to stall what my girlfriend really wants: getting married

To me the whole thing is a lot of hassle that will take up people's time and run into the cost of two SkyDwellers.

Anyone else been in this situation?

Should I agree to over a year of unnecessary stress and fights over utter nonsense?
Do NOT get married if you are not 100% sure.....otherwise you will just end up divorced.