The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2018, 05:58 PM   #91
OgSnowflake
Banned

hurricane Irma knocked over the local fedex next to his house n he’s waiting for it to be rebuilt to send it off is the only logical guess here.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 07:40 PM   #92
MonBK
Banned

Six months ago Rik said he stands behind his work even if it takes 3 years.

Now 4 years later it makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to take a step forward (towards the work) and get it done?

After all, how long can you stand behind your work?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 08:52 PM   #93
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

Now 4 years later it makes me wonder if it wouldn't be better to take a step forward (towards the work) and get it done?

He did say "stand" behind his work, not necessarily actually doing it. So technically he could stand there for a couple more years.

In all seriousness I understand the op's frustration. However it seems that this is that particular case where you have stumped the professor for an answer. Riki seems to have a very good reputation and has explained a list of circumstances that have created the delay. If this watch is that particular it seems it would cause issues no matter where it went. In this case I think we're at the make it or brake it point.
Can you or can you not fix it. If fixing it depends on factors beyond your control and the op is not willing to wait any longer, this falls under cannot fix it, return watch immediately.
Otherwise, if the op can confirm that he consulted other watchmakers and they have expressed a complete opposing view of the complexity and rareness of the situation then I would assume you can only wait or just have the watch returned unrepaired.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 09:41 PM   #94
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
This thread should be sold to Hollywood. It has it all. Mystery, betrayal, hurricanes, resolution, false ending, more intrigue.

Already looking forward to the sequel.
Old 6 March 2018, 10:08 PM   #95
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Still waiting...
Why not deal with Rik directly instead of going public here on the forum? Or are you expecting him to read your posts here?
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:10 PM   #96
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 10:20 PM   #97
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
Hi folks so the cats out of the bag. Andrew is correct about his post the watch is a longines caliber 990-1 first and only one I have seen in 32 years of doing what I do. Initially when watch came in it had some moisture issues causing the stem to be rusted In place so trying to extract these parts they of course broke, so tried to source the parts but found out that longine was in the process of being acquired omega and no parts available, I called every supply house I know and no one even heard of this caliber. At that point I told Andrew it would be some time to source parts or even if they were available. So a year goes by still nothing then six months goes by I was talking with Omega and asked them about longine parts at which point they were still trying to integrate them into their new parts system and would be another six months so at that point I finally got the parts I needed problem was it had been so long and this is one of the most convoluted automatics I have ever seen I frankly forgot how to put it back together and told Andrew that I would need to source a schematic to do so but this info wasn't available for download just fax at that time so I got the fax but it was u fortunately illegible now I'm really stuck. So I put it aside showed it to a few fellow watchmakers who also have never seen one so that option was out when Andrew emailed me it was during hurricane Irma and I had no power for a week my office had been moved into the interior of my house and have to be all set up again I got a heads up about the post got on the phone with Omega which took an hour for them to get me too a downloadable version of the schematic at that point I contacted Andrew and told him what was up. The watch is running but hasn't been shipped back although it timed out well it is having intermittent stopping and starting issues so now that is the issue I have to disassemble reclean and that should take care of so now you know and can stop guessing sometimes in this business things aren't so black and white. So if you want to continue to pile on have at it those that know me know I stand behind my work even if it takes 3 years to do and by the way I'm also not charging for the parts or service because of the time issue although most of it was out of my control. Thanx for your indulgence Rik
Full respect to you Sir
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:01 PM   #98
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Why not deal with Rik directly instead of going public here on the forum? Or are you expecting him to read your posts here?
To recap. He went to Rik directly, and Rik didn't communicate for a couple years. In fact, this thread was the trigger that got Rik on the phone. Rik read this thread, apologized, and promised to move things along. Rik's supporters jumped in and said he's a stand up guy and will get things right. Now 6 months later it seems nothing has changed.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Watchout! forum.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 11:04 PM   #99
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
To recap. He went to Rik directly, and Rik didn't communicate for a couple years. In fact, this thread was the trigger that got Rik on the phone. Rik read this thread and apologized and promised to move things along. Rik's supporters jumped n and said he's a stand up guy and will get things right. Now 6 months later it seems nothing has changed.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Watchout! forum.
I think Rik has been real busy doing a total remodel on the inside of his house. Bigger priorities take precedent.
Old 6 March 2018, 11:54 PM   #100
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I can’t believe that this issue is still unresolved.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 12:24 AM   #101
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I think Rik has been real busy doing a total remodel on the inside of his house. Bigger priorities take precedent.
If this was a one off, maybe so. But there are other threads about tardiness and poor communications.

I get that there can be unforeseen obstacles in working on old watches. But failing to communicate is just very poor business execution. Who would tolerate that kind of performance at their job?

I would say that the OP was Kented, except that even Kent came through and got the watch done.
Old 7 March 2018, 01:08 AM   #102
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I just read this thread for the first time and I think it is unacceptable. Obviously, unforeseen circumstances arise, but 4 years and poor communication is crazy.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 01:15 AM   #103
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
If this was a one off, maybe so. But there are other threads about tardiness and poor communications.

I get that there can be unforeseen obstacles in working on old watches. But failing to communicate is just very poor business execution. Who would tolerate that kind of performance at their job?

I would say that the OP was Kented, except that even Kent came through and got the watch done.
Was there another issue with Rik concerning another member of the forum here with one of his watches? Because most of Rik's feedback seems to be very positive from most of the reviews here.
Old 7 March 2018, 01:25 AM   #104
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Was there another issue with Rik concerning another member of the forum here with one of his watches? Because most of Rik's feedback seems to be very positive from most of the reviews here.
There was at least one other thread prior to this one about long delay and no communications.

From the feedback Rik is the best at what he does. No question about quality and craftsmanship. The communications problems and long delays on some projects seem to be the issue. Four years is a long time for a job to hang out there. I’ve seen vintage aircraft restored in less time FWIW.
Old 7 March 2018, 01:57 AM   #105
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
There was at least one other thread prior to this one about long delay and no communications.

From the feedback Rik is the best at what he does. No question about quality and craftsmanship. The communications problems and long delays on some projects seem to be the issue. Four years is a long time for a job to hang out there. I’ve seen vintage aircraft restored in less time FWIW.
I agree. Much too long.
Old 7 March 2018, 02:08 AM   #106
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rik, the floor is yours to keep your stellar reputation in tact. As is always preached to me "It takes years to build your reputation, but can be tarnished in minutes".

Good luck to both parties, sometimes things are out of your control but many are not. Open communication even just a hello due to no updates go a long way.
Old 7 March 2018, 03:13 AM   #107
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
For years,...unsat, I'm starting to view the op's pov a lot more clearer.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 05:17 AM   #108
Emptywrist
"TRF" Member

I know absolutely nothing about watches but it seems like the major issue here is lack of communication from what we can read here

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Emptywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 06:03 AM   #109
Bigblu10
Banned

So 6 months have past since Rik said the watch would be done and communication has gone dark?
Old 7 March 2018, 06:09 AM   #110
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So 6 months have past since Rik said the watch would be done and communication has gone dark?

I have not heard anything from him since shortly after starting this thread. 6 months ago.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 06:15 AM   #111
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
I have not heard anything from him since shortly after starting this thread. 6 months ago.
Hopefully he will notice the revival of the thread within 2018.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 06:51 AM   #112
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This goes way beyond anything that is remotely acceptable.
Without mentioning any names, (tongue firmly in cheek) I know there’s at least one person I will never entrust any of my watches with.
And honestly, I don’t feel like I’m piling on here. The opportunity was there when this first came to light to at least attempt to make amends. Did that happen, no. Just more of the same lack of resolution or communication. Those of you who are supporters can’t possibly make any more excuses or explain things away even if it was the first time something like this happened, which it wasn’t.
I hope for the OP’s sake that he eventually gets his watch back regardless of its condition.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 7 March 2018, 07:45 AM   #113
Floorguy

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Quote:
Have you called him? I’ve never had a problem contacting Rikki...
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 08:12 AM   #114
77T

Rik mentioned the movement wouldn’t run correctly after his first overhaul. By now it may still not be working correctly even after a 2nd try.

Is it perhaps a good idea to source an entire movement whether new or used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:07 AM   #115
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Rik mentioned the movement wouldn’t run correctly after his first overhaul. By now it may still not be working correctly even after a 2nd try.

The movement may be so obscure that is may not be obtainable. Worse case scenario the op gets the watch back just for sentimental reasons if it no longer is functional.
Old 7 March 2018, 09:10 AM   #116
77T

Quote:
The movement may be so obscure that is may not be obtainable. Worse case scenario the op gets the watch back just for sentimental reasons if it no longer is functional.

True - but worth a try. I just sourced an Omega 550 in working order from over 50 years ago.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:30 AM   #117
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Quote:

All good reasons for not accomplishing the work. But the lack of communication remains the fundamental problem. An occasional text saying he's still working it would go along way. But going dark is just the wrong way to treat a customer.

How does Rik resolve the comms issue?
Old 7 March 2018, 10:04 AM   #118
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All good reasons for not accomplishing the work. But the lack of communication remains the fundamental problem. An occasional text saying he's still working it would go along way. But going dark is just the wrong way to treat a customer.

How does Rik resolve the comms issue?

I’d certainly be interested in what he has to say especially after compounding his initial lack of response with yet another six months of no communication.
Somehow I can’t get his initial, and to this point only, response to this thread out of my mind.
And I quote his very first sentence, “Hi folks, so the cats out of the bag”. Indeed it is.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

Old 7 March 2018, 10:18 AM   #119
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
This Ebay seller seems to have a lot of parts for the calibre in question

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Longines...-/191292534717
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 10:21 AM   #120
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
Have you called him? I’ve never had a problem contacting Rikki...
I haven’t talked to him on the phone since he called me up the day I created this thread.

I have no doubt that he would answer my call. I just am unconvinced that yet another phone call would lead to my watch coming back, as none of the prior communications with him did.

Google Longines Cal 990.1, there’s a good bit written about it. This description is a bit too breathlessly written, but it gives useful info about the movement.

http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...ibre-990-1984/
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote