The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 6 November 2022, 05:43 AM   #91
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Didn’t intend this but decided to upgrade the bedroom TV now as well. Problem was the wife thought the living room TV was hers too. LOL

Wouldn’t be a problem if we agreed more often as to what we were going to watch. I’m now out there more often with the newer TV and can’t wait to watch what I want to watch.

Anyway it’s currently not working out and the TV in the bedroom was an older smaller non-OLED. Anyhoo, decided to upgrade that one to a C2 65 and that way even if I end up being kicked into the bedroom which is never what happens I’d still be good to go.

Thing is the newer C2 makes this even easier to do because it’s much lighter at it will be fairly easy to put on top of my dresser.
So, what are you doing for audio in the bedroom? Just using the t.v. Speakers or a sound bar there as well?

Thinking about a sound bar for our bedroom but I am not sure it will be overkill.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 08:33 AM   #92
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
So, what are you doing for audio in the bedroom? Just using the t.v. Speakers or a sound bar there as well?

Thinking about a sound bar for our bedroom but I am not sure it will be overkill.
I thought about getting something, but My wife doesn’t want to use anything but the TV.

Since I have the C2 77 with external speakers in the living room it’s not that big of an issue for me. I tried to sell her on the idea, but for now just upgrading to the C2 65 in the bedroom was a huge improvement over LED 48 I had before. The sound coming out of the C2 is about the same if not better than what was coming out of the TV I had in there previously.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 08:35 AM   #93
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Costco?
Everywhere, price is controlled by the manufacturer and not by the retailer. You may want to take a look a few comments above yours in regards to warranties and retailers terms.

Whatever size you decide to purchase I highly suggest you get the largest one you can fit in the room. Don’t buy an undersized OLED. OLEDs excel and really shine when it comes to the smallest of details. But to see the smallest of details you need to have a large enough screen and sit closer rather than further from the TV. The clarity is stunning especially when watching the right content. Newer TVs also upscale content better as well. I sit further than what I would like as my living room is rather long but I often find excuses to get out my chair just to sit closer to my TV especially when watching 4K content.

I just upgraded my 6yr old 65 OLED to a C2 77 and it’s been much more enjoyable. The great news is price difference from 6yrs ago to now for OLED has made that much more easy to do.

Oh, and the C2 77 is a Black Friday Deal everywhere right now as well. The C2 83 is a bit more cost prohibitive or I would have purchased that one.

RTings tv distance calculator although one of many suggested distance vs size is a pretty good guide.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship

Of course you”ll need the space and OLEDs work much better in darker rooms but I’ve never heard anyone wish they got a smaller OLED. The latest version have gotten brighter but still are not the best things for brighter rooms. It also has a fairly reflective screen so lights or direct sunlight don’t work well at all.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 November 2022, 09:57 AM   #94
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post

Quote:
I thought about getting something, but My wife doesn’t want to use anything but the TV.

Since I have the C2 77 with external speakers in the living room it’s not that big of an issue for me. I tried to sell her on the idea, but for now just upgrading to the C2 65 in the bedroom was a huge improvement over LED 48 I had before. The sound coming out of the C2 is about the same if not better than what was coming out of the TV I had in there previously.
Gents you've got to sell it as dialogue clarity to get your significant others on board with the soundbars. I told my wife we can listen at lower volumes and still hear dialogue better. It's not a lie, but not the only reason to upgrade the sound over the TV speakers Then, get the matching subwoofer
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2022, 10:58 AM   #95
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Gents you've got to sell it as dialogue clarity to get your significant others on board with the soundbars. I told my wife we can listen at lower volumes and still hear dialogue better. It's not a lie, but not the only reason to upgrade the sound over the TV speakers Then, get the matching subwoofer
Hey, I sold her on the second TV two weeks after getting the first one. Not that bad if you ask me.

Actually the subwoofer is the one thing she absolutely doesn’t want.

I really can’t complain too much, as I said with the C2 77 with external speakers in the living room and the C2 65 in the bedroom I’m not doing all that bad. It’s not ideal but she will end up watching the bedroom TV more often than I so this is the way I choose to see it.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 6 November 2022, 03:12 PM   #96
austinp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Costco?

Yes. They had lots of different sizes of the C2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 05:37 AM   #97
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
they are, and have been, on sale for sometime now. we're pretty far in the cycle for the c2's and they are probably just working thru the inventory until the c3 comes out of 1st quarter next year.
You’re right same cycles that have been going on for years now. Introductions come at CES In January. New models hit the retailer shelves between April and June typically at full initial msrp. Once football season hits you’ll see maybe 10% discounts. Once Black Friday hits you start to see ~20% of initial MSRP. Those prices hang around more or less until year end. Then a quick month of somewhat high pricing followed by steep discounts leading up to the Super Bowl. Then some small increases again and steady pricing until right when the new models hit retailers and old go back to Super Bowl pricing.

At least that’s the pattern I have noticed since 2015 or so. Imo best route is to ignore the newer models coming unless you need increased brightness or a new size. If you don’t mind spending a little more, you can set up a house server/PC and use a RTX NVIDIA card as your display video processor. Imo at least the biggest improvements over the years have been the video processors and not the panels. The panels have always had the infinite contrast, but earlier models had poor video processing. The external GPU made my older B6 no kidding look better than my newer C1 using the onboard processor. I’m running a RTX 4090, driving all the displays in my house, but I think anything 3060 Ampere based or higher will work just as well for basic 4K streaming at 60 fps.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 07:54 AM   #98
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
You’re right same cycles that have been going on for years now. Introductions come at CES In January. New models hit the retailer shelves between April and June typically at full initial msrp. Once football season hits you’ll see maybe 10% discounts. Once Black Friday hits you start to see ~20% of initial MSRP. Those prices hang around more or less until year end. Then a quick month of somewhat high pricing followed by steep discounts leading up to the Super Bowl. Then some small increases again and steady pricing until right when the new models hit retailers and old go back to Super Bowl pricing.

At least that’s the pattern I have noticed since 2015 or so. Imo best route is to ignore the newer models coming unless you need increased brightness or a new size. If you don’t mind spending a little more, you can set up a house server/PC and use a RTX NVIDIA card as your display video processor. Imo at least the biggest improvements over the years have been the video processors and not the panels. The panels have always had the infinite contrast, but earlier models had poor video processing. The external GPU made my older B6 no kidding look better than my newer C1 using the onboard processor. I’m running a RTX 4090, driving all the displays in my house, but I think anything 3060 Ampere based or higher will work just as well for basic 4K streaming at 60 fps.
TV sales patterns according to ratings.com.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/when-to-buy

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 7 December 2022, 09:15 AM   #99
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The only thing I can add to this thread is that I have had my 42” Sony a month now, and I couldn’t be happier
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 11:40 AM   #100
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Finally pulled the trigger on new 77 LG Oled C-2. It took me awhile but I already have a LG OLED 65 B but I really wanted something a bit larger and I was getting really tired of looking at the burn in on my older TV.

Here’s hoping the latest generation handles burn in a bit better but I also plan on doing a bit better or at least trying to avoid more banner watching.

I had considered the TVs less susceptible to burn in but OLED is just to compelling.
Nice! I wouldn't worry too much about burn in, they've gotten a lot better. I have a 65CX that is exclusively used for gaming and no sign of burn in after two years. I guess a banner running for hours every day would do harm after some time.

I recently did an upgrade to a 120 screen for my protector (sits in that black box on the floor).

Not oled quality obviously but 4k HDR and looks pretty great in a dark room.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
Old 7 December 2022, 03:34 PM   #101
SearChart
TechXpert

I bought a LG Oled C2 (42 inch) about a month ago to upgrade our 10+ year old Philips tv. The way our room is setup I can't go over 42 inch.
Love the colours of Oled
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 10:27 PM   #102
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Nice! I wouldn't worry too much about burn in, they've gotten a lot better. I have a 65CX that is exclusively used for gaming and no sign of burn in after two years. I guess a banner running for hours every day would do harm after some time.

I recently did an upgrade to a 120 screen for my protector (sits in that black box on the floor).

Not oled quality obviously but 4k HDR and looks pretty great in a dark room.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks

Nice setup by the way.

Based my experience and what I have read that others have said I have to imagine burn in on OLEDs has more to do with how you use your OLED TV. Besides static elements for extended times it appears many will say that OLED TVs don’t fare so well when used for extended usage on a daily basis either. Many also recommend turning the brightness levels down and making sure the pixel shift (forget the actual term) is turned on as well which should help a bit with those static elements.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 7 December 2022, 10:39 PM   #103
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I bought a LG Oled C2 (42 inch) about a month ago to upgrade our 10+ year old Philips tv. The way our room is setup I can't go over 42 inch.
Love the colours of Oled
Congrats.

I find the more 4K content I watch even the better.

I recently upgraded my 4K Blu Ray player to the Panasonic DP UB820-K and Apple TV 4K 128 trying to ensure I have some of the best devices to provide me with that experience. LGs OS is pretty clunky when it comes to streaming. Many say the 4K Blu Ray is the best content you can watch, unfortunately the number of movies available in that format are still fairly limited.

Many of the streaming services however were offering some fairly decent deals during Black Friday so I took advantage of those as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 7 December 2022, 10:40 PM   #104
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Love the colours of Oled
Exactly the same here Bas, I can’t put a bigger TV where mine is, the 42 is about perfect, and I looked at the LG along with the Sony, they were very very close. Honestly, the deciding factor was a sale at my local store, that cinched it! I agree, the colors are amazing, I am very happy with the purchase
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5E0F1EC3-5EBB-4A96-8542-84369A6AD846.jpeg (205.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 7 December 2022, 10:47 PM   #105
TheVTCGuy
Banned

As long as we are on the subject, I have heard a lot of you using a sound bar, how does it sound compared to a surround system? I am using the Bose… 1000 or something, have been for many many years, six speakers plus the sub. It sounds good to me but I would consider upgrading.
Old 7 December 2022, 11:22 PM   #106
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
As long as we are on the subject, I have heard a lot of you using a sound bar, how does it sound compared to a surround system? I am using the Bose… 1000 or something, have been for many many years, six speakers plus the sub. It sounds good to me but I would consider upgrading.
In my experience, even an average surround system is better than the best soundbar. On the other hand, if you also need to wire the surround system, you may not want to do this, because it's expensive, and even the cables are not easy to hide. Of course, there are also wireless solutions. But in this case, due to the active sound speakers, the mains power will be needed, so the need for cables remains and this in itself represents a huge disadvantage compared to any soundbar. This means in sum that a soundbar can still be better in the overall user experience.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2022, 11:27 PM   #107
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
In my experience, even an average surround system is better than the best soundbar. On the other hand, if you also need to wire the surround system, you may not want to do this, because it's expensive, and even the cables are not easy to hide. Of course, there are also wireless solutions. But in this case, due to the active sound speakers, the mains power will be needed, so the need for cables remains and this in itself represents a huge disadvantage compared to any soundbar. This means in sum that a soundbar can still be better in the overall user experience.
Thanks, that is good to know, I kind of thought this was the case. My speakers are L,R,C, Back L,R,C and sub-woofer. All the speaker wires are through the wall, I did it myself and am happy with the setup (pulls a muscle patting myself on the back)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2BA4008E-EC2F-447D-87CF-6FC0DA3A42E0.jpeg (216.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 8 December 2022, 01:42 AM   #108
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Congrats.

I recently upgraded my 4K Blu Ray player to the Panasonic DP UB820-K and Apple TV 4K 128 trying to ensure I have some of the best devices to provide me with that experience. LGs OS is pretty clunky when it comes to streaming. Many say the 4K Blu Ray is the best content you can watch, unfortunately the number of movies available in that format are still fairly limited.

Many of the streaming services however were offering some fairly decent deals during Black Friday so I took advantage of those as well.
I have two OLEDs. An older B6 and newer C1. No burn on from gaming at all. But what has caused burn in/uneven pixel aging on my older B6 has been:

-Fox News (by far the worst logos that pulse just like Sky News issues). If you have an OLED never watch Fox News with it and their crappy banner and logo designs.

-CNN (not as bad as Fox but their red banners have left some residue)

-YouTube (the red logos and red progress line that shows when pausing)

-Firestick (the Home Screen app logos are awful, never leave this screen on)

-Netflix (same issues as YouTube and Firestick)

-Hulu (idiotic placement of yellow boxes during commercials is by far the worst cause of burn in I have seen. Shame on Hulu)
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 01:49 AM   #109
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks, that is good to know, I kind of thought this was the case. My speakers are L,R,C, Back L,R,C and sub-woofer. All the speaker wires are through the wall, I did it myself and am happy with the setup (pulls a muscle patting myself on the back)
Paul, since you've already got the wiring done, but have ancient speakers and processing, you may benefit from an upgrade. Specifically, you could get 5 new speakers for LCR and side surrounds (new audio codecs don't support back center channels), a new subwoofer, and a new AV receiver. In this scenario, you'd wire all your sources to the AVR via HDMI cables, then one HDMI cable from the AVR to the television. Most midrange AVRs come with software and a microphone that lets you optimize the sound for your space through an automated process, you just move the mic around per the instructions. I've found that this results in much better dialogue clarity at lower volumes for modern content encoded in Dolby 5.1. I love spending other people's money, so if you are interested PM me and give me a budget to work with, assuming I will exceed it
Old 8 December 2022, 01:49 AM   #110
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I have two OLEDs. An older B6 and newer C1. No burn on from gaming at all. But what has caused burn in/uneven pixel aging on my older B6 has been:

-Fox News (by far the worst logos that pulse just like Sky News issues). If you have an OLED never watch Fox News with it and their crappy banner and logo designs.

-CNN (not as bad as Fox but their red banners have left some residue)

-YouTube (the red logos and red progress line that shows when pausing)

-Firestick (the Home Screen app logos are awful, never leave this screen on)

-Netflix (same issues as YouTube and Firestick)

-Hulu (idiotic placement of yellow boxes during commercials is by far the worst cause of burn in I have seen. Shame on Hulu)
I had an older OLED as well and my burn in was from a static banner as well. Only one in particular but that was the channel I used to watch quite a bit which I no longer do. Unfortunately most channels have them now, which I just find annoying in the first place. I’ve been streaming more often so I’ve been avoiding them as much as possible.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2022, 02:34 AM   #111
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Seems like the 4K sets have been out a while and thought the 8K sets would be in stores by now. Not sure if supply chain issues are to blame or 8K content, but curious what the group thinks about this.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 03:06 AM   #112
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Seems like the 4K sets have been out a while and thought the 8K sets would be in stores by now. Not sure if supply chain issues are to blame or 8K content, but curious what the group thinks about this.
At this point 8k is meaningless. There is little if any content that actually can take advantage of the resolution. To be honest, if you stream, the compression is such that you're not getting much better video information than you get from a Blu-Ray disc which is upscaled to 4k in the receiver or display.

That said, at some point the advances we will see with display contrast, brightness, black levels, color gamut, and refresh rate will always first show up in the most advanced displays, soon to be 8k when more come to market. So it may be worth it from that perspective, but 8k itself will make very little difference in and of itself compared to 4k.
Old 8 December 2022, 05:15 AM   #113
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
I did it myself and am happy with the setup (pulls a muscle patting myself on the back)
I'm happy that the pain left and the perfect job remained! As the others have already told, use this installation with a good quality AV receiver, and you will not regret this. No soundbar can make you feel as surrounded by sound and effects like this
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 05:34 AM   #114
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Paul, since you've already got the wiring done, but have ancient speakers and processing, you may benefit from an upgrade. Specifically, you could get 5 new speakers for LCR and side surrounds (new audio codecs don't support back center channels), a new subwoofer, and a new AV receiver. In this scenario, you'd wire all your sources to the AVR via HDMI cables, then one HDMI cable from the AVR to the television. Most midrange AVRs come with software and a microphone that lets you optimize the sound for your space through an automated process, you just move the mic around per the instructions. I've found that this results in much better dialogue clarity at lower volumes for modern content encoded in Dolby 5.1. I love spending other people's money, so if you are interested PM me and give me a budget to work with, assuming I will exceed it
My head just exploded

So right now, I am running light connection from the TV to my (Sony) AVR, it has the microphone setup you mentioned. If I read your post right, I should buy new speakers and SW, can I keep my Sony?
Old 8 December 2022, 09:26 AM   #115
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
We added a Sonos Beam sound bar to our LG Oled C2 77 inch TV. Sounds great. We did not know the Sonos came with “soundtracks.” Nice.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2022, 07:36 PM   #116
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Congrats.

I have a VPN and download all series /movies I want to watch, I'm not going to pay for 5+ different streaming services. 4k on the Oled is indeed incredible.
Old 8 December 2022, 07:37 PM   #117
SearChart
TechXpert

You're all talking about screen burn-in, my LG Oled turns the screensaver on after a minute of static image, is that not sufficient?
Old 8 December 2022, 07:40 PM   #118
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My head just exploded

So right now, I am running light connection from the TV to my (Sony) AVR, it has the microphone setup you mentioned. If I read your post right, I should buy new speakers and SW, can I keep my Sony?
Paul I have Bose speakers that came with a Bose system from over a decade ago so I guess you could say my system is a bit dated.

Anyway just pointing out I am no expert, however if your Sony AV doesn't allow you to connect via a HDMI cable and include the latest technology there really wouldn't be any point in my opinion of replacing speakers without upgrading your Sony AVR as well. My uneducated guess anyway.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2022, 07:43 PM   #119
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You're all talking about screen burn-in, my LG Oled turns the screensaver on after a minute of static image, is that not sufficient?
We're not only talking about avoiding static screens but static elements such as static banners as well. Such as those on channels such as CNN or Fox News for example. Anything that remains as a static element on the screen for long periods of time.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 8 December 2022, 07:46 PM   #120
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a VPN and download all series /movies I want to watch, I'm not going to pay for 5+ different streaming services. 4k on the Oled is indeed incredible.
Excellent Just thought 4K content was a subject worth mentioning.

4K players are also worth considering as many will agree that is where you will get the best 4K resolution.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons