The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2023, 10:44 PM   #91
mulberry083
"TRF" Member

You could still get the Watch at the AD and flip it. I’d think you’d at least get your retail cost back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mulberry083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:48 PM   #92
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I doubt they receive a Sub, of any variety in each shipment. I am sure the store has gotten a shipment within the last six weeks, but shipments are not automatically regular, some are missed. I would reach out to other ADs and express your interest and it may happen sooner. My sense of it is, at the moment the SS Sub and Subdate are the most requested watches in the entire lineup. It is the most iconic watch and the demand at ADs well exceeds supply.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 10:56 PM   #93
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I doubt they receive a Sub, of any variety in each shipment. I am sure the store has gotten a shipment within the last six weeks, but shipments are not automatically regular, some are missed. I would reach out to other ADs and express your interest and it may happen sooner. My sense of it is, at the moment the SS Sub and Subdate are the most requested watches in the entire lineup. It is the most iconic watch and the demand at ADs well exceeds supply.

That’s kind of what my AD said. There was a person ahead of me when I requested this watch in March. He finally got his watch in August no idea how long his wait was.

The AD said the next watch that comes in is mine, which will take 2-4 months.

I’ve tried other ADs but most said I don’t have a chance. The reason this AD is making it happen is because I bought an engagement ring in 2019.

Nads786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:37 PM   #94
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
they aren't too good after all.

you are a fool if you believe them.
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 11:41 PM   #95
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
at this point, just go grey since price has come down close to retail
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:55 AM   #96
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nads786 View Post
Yeah it’s frustrating since this is the Sub Date not even the Sub. I’m reluctant to go grey for two reasons:

1) I want this to be a in person experience so there is a memory associated with it rather than another internet purchase

2) Massive sunk cost fallacy - I would be irate if I bought grey and then get the call.

Those are weak excuses. You could be wearing that watch tomorrow night and that is a tangible smile inducing thing.
Old 20 October 2023, 01:07 AM   #97
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Quote:
That’s kind of what my AD said. There was a person ahead of me when I requested this watch in March. He finally got his watch in August no idea how long his wait was.

The AD said the next watch that comes in is mine, which will take 2-4 months.

I’ve tried other ADs but most said I don’t have a chance. The reason this AD is making it happen is because I bought an engagement ring in 2019.

Good because otherwise they are spinning you a tall tale. That being said I don’t believe they are only getting one every 2-4 months

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:36 AM   #98
BKScripto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy/BLNR
Quote:
What leverage do you have by pressing firmly? What will they lose exactly from me? A maybe jewelry purchase in the future? There are probably people spending money on jewelry today who want the watch.

You’re looking at yourself as completely powerless. And we kind of are, unless you’re willing to sacrifice the “relationship”. But if they’re never going to allocate you a watch, who cares.

Personally I would give them every chance to quit lying to you, by going to management and asking them to be straight. Express your dissatisfaction. Ask for another REAL ETA. If they continue to lie to you and never allocate you a watch - there are ways to get their attention publicly as a lowly consumer… it could either work, or burn the bridge. This paragraph comes from personal experience.

Sadly this is all for a black sub. Great watch, don’t get me wrong — but one you can get from a grey for not much over retail. Purchasing at an AD is over-rated. They offer you a drink before they swipe your credit card. It’s nothing glamorous.

I would also consider buying your black sub from a grey dealer (maybe find a brick and mortar grey to get your “in-person” feeling?)… and then tell the AD you want to change your list to something different, say a GMT or some other model you like. And keep checking in with them every now and then to see if you get lucky …
BKScripto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:41 AM   #99
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Those are weak excuses. You could be wearing that watch tomorrow night and that is a tangible smile inducing thing.
I'm not debating this point. This will be my first Rolex so I'm truly not sure if it's worth the experience or not. The milestone has significance to me as well.
Old 20 October 2023, 04:42 AM   #100
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKScripto View Post
You’re looking at yourself as completely powerless. And we kind of are, unless you’re willing to sacrifice the “relationship”. But if they’re never going to allocate you a watch, who cares.

Personally I would give them every chance to quit lying to you, by going to management and asking them to be straight. Express your dissatisfaction. Ask for another REAL ETA. If they continue to lie to you and never allocate you a watch - there are ways to get their attention publicly as a lowly consumer… it could either work, or burn the bridge. This paragraph comes from personal experience.

Sadly this is all for a black sub. Great watch, don’t get me wrong — but one you can get from a grey for not much over retail. Purchasing at an AD is over-rated. They offer you a drink before they swipe your credit card. It’s nothing glamorous.

I would also consider buying your black sub from a grey dealer (maybe find a brick and mortar grey to get your “in-person” feeling?)… and then tell the AD you want to change your list to something different, say a GMT or some other model you like. And keep checking in with them every now and then to see if you get lucky …
So I'm working with the owner / manager so there isn't another person above him. I could "burn" a non-existent relationship but I would guess he would continue to just say "sorry I just can't give you a specific timeline."

Me destroying the relationship would not get me the watch I don't believe.
Old 20 October 2023, 04:48 AM   #101
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
Good because otherwise they are spinning you a tall tale. That being said I don’t believe they are only getting one every 2-4 months

I don't really believe it either. It's definitely frustrating. It's especially frustrating when I don't receive a text back after a day.
Old 20 October 2023, 08:57 AM   #102
Goupax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not debating this point. This will be my first Rolex so I'm truly not sure if it's worth the experience or not. The milestone has significance to me as well.
It's really not worth the aggravation now that several months have passed since your first inquiry, they just keep stringing you along in the hopes you buy high margins jewellery or other watch brands sitting in their cases for weeks on end.

As far as I am concerned, the buying experience can be resumed to a bottle of mineral water and watching the well dressed sales associate swipe your credit card. The reward is that you purchase a brand new Rolex watch at MSRP, which these days can be a hit or miss depending on what model you purchase. But they sure still don't feel obligated to butter you up real good like those other non Rolex watch boutiques that don't discount a cent. They will give you the gentle white glove treatment, the champagne and goodies to make you forget that you are likely to lose 50% of what you paid for once you exit their doors.

And by the way, the whole mystique of rewarding yourself with a Rolex for an achievement or milestone doesn't make much sense anymore when there is no stock for sale you can pick up right away, nor have any concrete timeline when you will receive an allocation. If you strongly feel about celebrating your birthday with a Rolex, the more reason to go on the secondary market. Or you can just pray on your knees for the AD to come through and be disappointed, again. Good luck.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 09:28 AM   #103
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
^ 100% agree. That dose of treating yourself wears off after a few months. Plus the kindling of keeping in touch with 3 different AD's. Its not worth it at this moment. Im also waiting to get allocated a Rolex. Im losing that feeling of reward and contemplating if I really need it. Save your money, till you need it.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 10:35 AM   #104
Speedlives
"TRF" Member

To me the experience of buying the watch in the Rolex Boutique was worth it over going grey and having a package sent to my house. Since you need the watch for a special occasion that could take precedence. Theres also the relationship aspect if you want other models in the future.
Speedlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 10:40 AM   #105
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
they know!
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 10:52 AM   #106
OSU1989
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Just get it from a credible gray dealer. Treat yourself.

I lasted a couple weeks after registering my interest at two local ADs until I went gray. I figured I can always sell and/or trade it in when, and if, I get a call. Sure, I paid maybe ~10% over MSRP, but I was wasting so much time perusing listings and forums, both at work and while at home. I don’t know if you’re like this, but you should attribute some value to your time, productivity, and the amount of time you’ll actually be afforded with the watch.

To me, the AD “experience” is overrated, at best they’ll give you a cap or a tie and spend some time speaking with you, maybe a beverage. If this is how they’re treating you now, what will your post-purchase experience look like? Regarding the relationship, I doubt your single $12k purchase will bump you up substantially on this AD’s totem pole.

Now that I have a Rolex to hold me over (make no mistake, I have a ton of other great pieces), future wait times don’t matter.
OSU1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 11:29 AM   #107
Sauzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snoopy
Just go grey. The real “prize” is the watch. Who cares about some SA that the only reason you’re talking to them is to spend YOUR money. I refuse to kiss keester for the chance to spend my money. I got a grey dealer by me that I have bought a fair number of Rolex from. He even calls me when they get in something I like. They just got in a 2023 white daytona but I passed as Daytonas never really turned my crank plus paying 30k for a 15k watch just seems ludicrous. For that cash, I could get a “holy trinity” brand.
Sauzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 11:42 AM   #108
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
Just go grey. The real “prize” is the watch. Who cares about some SA that the only reason you’re talking to them is to spend YOUR money. I refuse to kiss keester for the chance to spend my money. I got a grey dealer by me that I have bought a fair number of Rolex from. He even calls me when they get in something I like. They just got in a 2023 white daytona but I passed as Daytonas never really turned my crank plus paying 30k for a 15k watch just seems ludicrous. For that cash, I could get a “holy trinity” brand.

You act like he’s performing a service for you by offering to sell you a watch at twice retail.
bluestreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 07:30 PM   #109
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

Which dealer has new Daytona for only $30k? Asking for a friend
Old 20 October 2023, 08:39 PM   #110
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
For me personally it’s simply time vs $$$. I don’t have much patience, I certainly won’t buy jewelry or watches I don’t want to “maybe” get on a “list”, and I don’t NEED the AD experience.
Now that prices have dropped, and competition amongst trusted sellers is once again in play….paying a bit more, or in some cases now, a bit less than msrp, and getting a NIB watch to enjoy NOW, is the route I take. YMMV
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:49 PM   #111
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
For me personally it’s simply time vs $$$. I don’t have much patience, I certainly won’t buy jewelry or watches I don’t want to “maybe” get on a “list”, and I don’t NEED the AD experience.
Now that prices have dropped, and competition amongst trusted sellers is once again in play….paying a bit more, or in some cases now, a bit less than msrp, and getting a NIB watch to enjoy NOW, is the route I take. YMMV
I did exactly this not long ago for my top 2 choices. Now I'm willing to wait a bit to see if my long standing AD really does appreciate my business over the last 15 yrs.
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 09:04 PM   #112
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yep. I have a good relationship at AD and still do this. Bought a stickered white Daytona recently.
Old 21 October 2023, 02:18 AM   #113
zi464
"TRF" Member

You really belive that BS from ADs ?
They just don't wanna sell to you and also want you to spend more on others.
zi464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2023, 03:27 AM   #114
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zi464 View Post
You really belive that BS from ADs ?
They just don't wanna sell to you and also want you to spend more on others.
No I don't really believe it. I'm just trying to understand if his 2-4 months is legit or more BS. The two month window is here so I'd feel like an idiot if I bought it grey and then I get a call the next week.

Now if it's December and still not watch we're out of the 4 month window and then at that point I have to assume my AD is a flake and go grey.
Old 21 October 2023, 03:28 AM   #115
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heavily considering this approach. If I waited an extra 8 months for a 5 minute in person transaction, I think I would be left disappointed.
Old 21 October 2023, 03:30 AM   #116
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU1989 View Post
Just get it from a credible gray dealer. Treat yourself.

I lasted a couple weeks after registering my interest at two local ADs until I went gray. I figured I can always sell and/or trade it in when, and if, I get a call. Sure, I paid maybe ~10% over MSRP, but I was wasting so much time perusing listings and forums, both at work and while at home. I don’t know if you’re like this, but you should attribute some value to your time, productivity, and the amount of time you’ll actually be afforded with the watch.

To me, the AD “experience” is overrated, at best they’ll give you a cap or a tie and spend some time speaking with you, maybe a beverage. If this is how they’re treating you now, what will your post-purchase experience look like? Regarding the relationship, I doubt your single $12k purchase will bump you up substantially on this AD’s totem pole.

Now that I have a Rolex to hold me over (make no mistake, I have a ton of other great pieces), future wait times don’t matter.
I was like this from March to July. I travel a lot for work so I would waste a lot of time going to ADs trying to "get lucky." I could of been wearing the watch I wanted and saved the headache of running around Nashville or Las Vegas with nothing to show for it.
Old 21 October 2023, 11:25 AM   #117
OSU1989
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
I was like this from March to July. I travel a lot for work so I would waste a lot of time going to ADs trying to "get lucky." I could of been wearing the watch I wanted and saved the headache of running around Nashville or Las Vegas with nothing to show for it.

I wish my time-wasting was limited to only AD visits. It’s the internet access, that’s always available in the palm of your hand, that did me in. Vicious cycle of forums, Reddit, YouTube, Chrono24, WatchRecon - over and over.

OSU1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2023, 12:04 PM   #118
Nads786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSU1989 View Post
I wish my time-wasting was limited to only AD visits. It’s the internet access, that’s always available in the palm of your hand, that did me in. Vicious cycle of forums, Reddit, YouTube, Chrono24, WatchRecon - over and over.

I had the same problem earlier in my journey. I know the watches I want now so no real point in looking at SM.

Old 23 October 2023, 04:00 AM   #119
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
at this point, just go grey since price has come down close to retail
I agree, for a Sub they are only around $2K above retail right now so I wouldn't wait.
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2023, 04:34 AM   #120
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarexplorerii View Post
I agree, for a Sub they are only around $2K above retail right now so I wouldn't wait.

And that’s without negotiating. With a little negotiating you’re getting them close at retail plus tax

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote