The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 February 2014, 03:31 AM   #91
couturegirl
Banned

Watch: fav.: YG Daytona
I have had both and would choose the 911 over the sl550 100% of the time. If only Porsche had a hardtop convertible :). If you're even thinking about the SL550 you may as well pony up a bit more cash and go with the Ferrari California if you want the hardtop option. Otherwise, don't think twice and go with the Porsche-- PDK is amazing :)
couturegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 03:58 AM   #92
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturegirl View Post
I have had both and would choose the 911 over the sl550 100% of the time. If only Porsche had a hardtop convertible :). If you're even thinking about the SL550 you may as well pony up a bit more cash and go with the Ferrari California if you want the hardtop option. Otherwise, don't think twice and go with the Porsche-- PDK is amazing :)
I was with you 'til the very end. You lost me at PDK, LOL!

And yes, you're assumption is correct. I'm a dinosaur. I just find a manual integral to the overall driving experience. Get one while you still can.
Old 28 February 2014, 04:00 AM   #93
couturegirl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I was with you 'til the very end. You lost me at PDK, LOL!

And yes, you're assumption is correct. I'm a dinosaur. I just find a manual integral to the overall driving experience. Get one while you still can.
I love driving manual as well, however, the speed at which the PDK/F1/E-gear is much faster than any person can shift. I still have one manual car and enjoy driving it, however, for daily driving, I much prefer the others :)

This reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad told me never to marry a guy who couldn't drive a stick shift, didn't like uni, wasn't well read, didn't like to travel and didn't treat me like a queen. LOL
Old 28 February 2014, 05:31 AM   #94
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if others have touched on this but at the price point of the C4S and SL550, you have an array of options to choose from. So I'm not sure if you are just 100% set on those two models or are just hunting in that price range, but you are in/near the range of a Merc AMG (even though you now have your badass S63), Porsche Turbo/GT3, Audi R8, potentially used Gallardo/F430, Bentley CGT, etc.
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2014, 05:34 AM   #95
couturegirl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyofkahala View Post
I'm not sure if others have touched on this but at the price point of the C4S and SL550, you have an array of options to choose from. So I'm not sure if you are just 100% set on those two models or are just hunting in that price range, but you are in/near the range of a Merc AMG (even though you now have your badass S63), Porsche Turbo/GT3, Audi R8, potentially used Gallardo/F430, Bentley CGT, etc.
The issue with getting a used 430 and non LP560 Lamborghini is that they are now the "old" models. I do like the Porsche Turbo/GT3 compared to an SL63. Not a fan of the R8 -- "poor man's lamborghini".
Old 28 February 2014, 05:42 AM   #96
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The issue with getting a used 430 and non LP560 Lamborghini is that they are now the "old" models. I do like the Porsche Turbo/GT3 compared to an SL63. Not a fan of the R8 -- "poor man's lamborghini".

Lol! But the R8 is Tony Stark's car.... I don't think he's poor??

The performance of the F430 is still astounding and I assumed that he's focused at around the 100-130k price range, but you are right they are "old" models. Some people might like that though.

I'd take an R8 over the Gallardo, but not a Huracan.
Old 28 February 2014, 05:45 AM   #97
couturegirl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyofkahala View Post
Lol! But the R8 is Tony Stark's car.... I don't think he's poor??

The performance of the F430 is still astounding and I assumed that he's focused at around the 100-130k price range, but you are right they are "old" models. Some people might like that though.

I'd take an R8 over the Gallardo, but not a Huracan.
I love the Huracan- adding that sucker to my stable :) I disagree re: the R8 over Gallardo. I have had several Gallardos and driven a friend's R8 and there really is no comparison between an R8 and an LP560. I had a 430 before the 458 came out(that we used to drive to Napa all the time in the summer!) and it is a lovely car, but the 458 is just so much better. If I were him, I would get a California since he obviously likes hard tops and it is a versatile car.
Old 28 February 2014, 05:50 AM   #98
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the Huracan- adding that sucker to my stable :) I disagree re: the R8 over Gallardo. I have had several Gallardos and driven a friend's R8 and there really is no comparison between an R8 and an LP560. I had a 430 before the 458 came out(that we used to drive to Napa all the time in the summer!) and it is a lovely car, but the 458 is just so much better. If I were him, I would get a California since he obviously likes hard tops and it is a versatile car.
You are just on another level, I swear!
Old 28 February 2014, 06:29 AM   #99
FlyinM3
"TRF" Member

All I have to say is that exotics are a lot more affordable in this country

Having said that, I want to get a G6 for our parent company
FlyinM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 06:29 AM   #100
mgent
"TRF" Member

Any discussion about PDK, when comparing a C4S and SL550, is pointless since the merc isn't available in a manual, and the merc transmissions are awful. There is no comparison between PDK and the merc slush boxes...

I would stay away from a LP560, since its getting long in the tooth - We're likely getting rid of ours... Same for 430, and if putting lots of mileage, service will be less fun... Never owned an R8, but always liked them, and I hear their new tranny's are pretty good... I still say Bentley-GT for a GT car, great used prices, and 991 C4S or 997.2 TTS for a sports car, assuming 150k price range...
mgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 09:19 PM   #101
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Porsche 911 C4S or Mercedes SL550

After the problems I had with the Audi A8 4.0, I am completely done with them. R8 looks nice but I have a poor taste from the previous experience.

I like the dependability of the Porsche and the power of a turbo would just about do it.

Always liked Ferrari, the sound, IMO, is spectacular (especially with a tubi exhaust). No need for a radio :)

For me, Lamborghini = doors = Aventador. That's a down the line acquisition.

And for the family, the S63 is the right combination of comfort, safety and ridiculous power.

Leaning Porsche turbo... (w carrera red interior)
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 01:23 AM   #102
couturegirl
Banned

Look at Mclaren as well. Kicks the 458's ass.
Old 2 March 2014, 05:04 AM   #103
VICI
"TRF" Member

Just got a mailing from Mclaren - $3,500/m for 3k miles/yr.

What does you guys do, buy or lease these high end cars?

I like to keep it the inventory rolling as new models/options become available.
Old 2 March 2014, 05:18 AM   #104
couturegirl
Banned

Buy.
Old 2 March 2014, 05:38 AM   #105
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NYC View Post
After the problems I had with the Audi A8 4.0, I am completely done with them. R8 looks nice but I have a poor taste from the previous experience.

I like the dependability of the Porsche and the power of a turbo would just about do it.

Always liked Ferrari, the sound, IMO, is spectacular (especially with a tubi exhaust). No need for a radio :)

For me, Lamborghini = doors = Aventador. That's a down the line acquisition.

And for the family, the S63 is the right combination of comfort, safety and ridiculous power.

Leaning Porsche turbo... (w carrera red interior)
Sorry you had a problem with Audi but I have owned an RS6, RS4, S5 and A8L and all were awesome cars with never an issue. I think you got a bad car and that is a shame. I had a bad Benz before with issue after issue and swore them off and switched to Audi and BMW. My friend had a BMW and had issue after issue with the run flats. I think every brand can have a lemon and when you get one it certainly can sour you on the brand! Hope your new Benz treats you better!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 08:36 AM   #106
VICI
"TRF" Member

Porsche 911 C4S or Mercedes SL550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Sorry you had a problem with Audi but I have owned an RS6, RS4, S5 and A8L and all were awesome cars with never an issue. I think you got a bad car and that is a shame. I had a bad Benz before with issue after issue and swore them off and switched to Audi and BMW. My friend had a BMW and had issue after issue with the run flats. I think every brand can have a lemon and when you get one it certainly can sour you on the brand! Hope your new Benz treats you better!

Totally agreed Connor.

My sour taste is from the customer service which was very poor from both dealerships. Once I explained to the second one that I would consider getting another Audi from them, their tone changed.

I would like believe that Mercedes or Porsche owners wouldn't have experienced such a drawn out repurchase.

I drove an S8 as a possible swap and it had the same screeching noise from the MMI area. For $130k, I find it hard to accept that their engineers couldn't find a remedy.

It's like in any business, the employees can cause a bad experience, but it is up to management to fix the situation.

Funny, when I bought my Panamera 4S, the rear camera didn't work because it was so new - Porsche decided to give a $400 credit towards any Porsche accessory. I liked a leather jacket that was $650. When I pulled the card out to pay the difference, the service manager said not to worry, it is with their compliments.

That is customer service.
Old 2 March 2014, 09:28 AM   #107
couturegirl
Banned

Quote:
Totally agreed Connor.

My sour taste is from the customer service which was very poor from both dealerships. Once I explained to the second one that I would consider getting another Audi from them, their tone changed.

I would like believe that Mercedes or Porsche owners wouldn't have experienced such a drawn out repurchase.

I drove an S8 as a possible swap and it had the same screeching noise from the MMI area. For $130k, I find it hard to accept that their engineers couldn't find a remedy.

It's like in any business, the employees can cause a bad experience, but it is up to management to fix the situation.

Funny, when I bought my Panamera 4S, the rear camera didn't work because it was so new - Porsche decided to give a $400 credit towards any Porsche accessory. I liked a leather jacket that was $650. When I pulled the card out to pay the difference, the service manager said not to worry, it is with their compliments.

Porsche is far superior to Audi in every single way. Porsche is "Hermes" whilst Audi is "Louis Vuitton" (mass produced and generic: trunks/luggage and duffels notwithstanding)

When you get inside an Audi and then get inside a Porsche there really is not comparison. :) As I said before, the only cars that I like aside from exotics (ferrari, lamborghini, Mclaren) are Porsche and RR (and I do like AMG Mercedes) :)
Old 2 March 2014, 09:42 AM   #108
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I had a 997.2 and I was talking to a top dude and semi-pro endurance racer in my company and told him I was going to either get a used Ferrari or a 991. He said I'd hate the Ferrari and love the 991, I haven't looked back. He's here visiting now and has been wearing a Lange 1 Time Zone, great piece!
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 09:49 AM   #109
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wouldn't whatever problems he had be because of the tires and not because his car is a BMW?
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 10:10 AM   #110
couturegirl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Wouldn't whatever problems he had be because of the tires and not because his car is a BMW?
Aside from the 5 series that I got when I was 16, the only BMW that I have liked is the V10 M5-- we had two tanks of nitrous added too

There is nothing "special" to me about BMW and I don't think they can compare in anyway to Porsche. I would even take Mercedes 100% over BMW any day of the week. As far as I am concerned, they are just one notch above Audi.
Old 2 March 2014, 10:22 AM   #111
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aside from the 5 series that I got when I was 16, the only BMW that I have liked is the V10 M5-- we had two tanks of nitrous added too

There is nothing "special" to me about BMW and I don't think they can compare in anyway to Porsche. I would even take Mercedes 100% over BMW any day of the week. As far as I am concerned, they are just one notch above Audi.
Uh, ok? I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
Old 2 March 2014, 12:21 PM   #112
HL65

Quote:
Uh, ok? I'm not even sure how to respond to that.
Don't even bother.

PS. I think I will keep my 650ix coupe as I really like it!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2014, 12:29 PM   #113
HL65

Quote:
Yes but if you go on BMW forum you will see thousands of posts on BMW and their run flats and all problems with them and BMW won't acknowledge. I had a 750li and now the 650ix coupe and simply took them off and put on Conti DWS and love them! Much better than the run flats they use and rides better to IMHO.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2014, 12:30 PM   #114
HL65

Quote:
Totally agreed Connor.

That is a real shame about their poor customer service and I wouldn't ever deal with them again either. Customer service at those prices should be second to none!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2014, 01:05 PM   #115
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't even bother.

PS. I think I will keep my 650ix coupe as I really like it!
No doubt. Beautiful car. Do you have a tune for it? The N63 has lots of potential!
Old 2 March 2014, 01:07 PM   #116
HL65

Quote:
No doubt. Beautiful car. Do you have a tune for it? The N63 has lots of potential!
I don't but bet it would be fun as it is already fun for this old man!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2014, 01:07 PM   #117
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes but if you go on BMW forum you will see thousands of posts on BMW and their run flats and all problems with them and BMW won't acknowledge. I had a 750li and now the 650ix coupe and simply took them off and put on Conti DWS and love them! Much better than the run flats they use and rides better to IMHO.
I've been on a few different BMW forums for years. Yes, I hear lots of complaints about the run flats, but it's mostly about how harsh the ride is or how bad the performance of the tires are. That is the nature of run flats, though. BMW has nothing to do with that. Are you talking about something else?

And yes, traditional tires are sooooo much better. Even cheap tires are an upgrade over run flats.
Old 2 March 2014, 01:11 PM   #118
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't but bet it would be fun as it is already fun for this old man!
Aw, what are you waiting for?!!

A tune alone can add 50hp/70ft lb to the wheels!
Old 2 March 2014, 01:13 PM   #119
HL65

Quote:
I've been on a few different BMW forums for years. Yes, I hear lots of complaints about the run flats, but it's mostly about how harsh the ride is or how bad the performance of the tires are. That is the nature of run flats, though. BMW has nothing to do with that. Are you talking about something else?

And yes, traditional tires are sooooo much better. Even cheap tires are an upgrade over run flats.
The fact that they develop buckle/bubbles and get ruined when they hit even tiny pot hole. My friend had 6 sets in two years replaced. Again I could care less as I took them off and am super happy!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 2 March 2014, 01:25 PM   #120
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The fact that they develop buckle/bubbles and get ruined when they hit even tiny pot hole. My friend had 6 sets in two years replaced. Again I could care less as I took them off and am super happy!
Yup very true. I think part of the problem is that, compared to MB and Audi, BMW uses more of a low profile tire so they're more likely to develop bubbles. The best thing to do is what you did. Replace the run flats with real tires and never look back.