The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 February 2017, 04:44 AM   #91
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
No
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 04:48 AM   #92
goldfixer21
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My grandfather and I used to fish together every chance we had. He had a very extensive collection of old fishing gear. He always told that one day it would be mine. As he and my grandmother got into their late 70's, it was necessary to move them nearer to my family. As he and I packed his garage, he said it was time for me to have all of it. I told him I'd take good care of it. He said to me," I imagine some of that is worth a lot of money, sell it and pocket some cash". I said I wouldn't do that because it was from him. He smiled and said, "If you need "stuff" to remember me by, I didn't give you very many memories". I no longer hang on to "stuff", and have told my kids the same thing.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 04:56 AM   #93
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichinin View Post
No offense to you but, if my late father has gifted me a watch let alone a Rolex, I would never let it go. Unless you somehow hate your father. Just my 2 cent. At the end it is your watch and you can do whatever you like.
this
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:00 AM   #94
U5512
"TRF" Member

NEVER sell a gifted watch from relatives, especially ones from your own family.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:01 AM   #95
Sculler22
"TRF" Member

'Fraid not, last thing to go.
Sculler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:06 AM   #96
LuisGonzales
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG HEUER
If you were my son and I told you that you would inherit my Rolex watch and you told me you really didn't like my watch....I'd say...okay? then I would Will it to someone more deserving...
I use to have a 1964 El Camino that I restored, bright blue metallic, blue roll tuck interior, crager mags and I told my son this was his when he get the age to drive, he said to me, I really don't like it, years go by then one day I sold it, he asked where's the el camino Dad!! I said I sold it, he says...I thought you were gonna give it to me, I laughed, and said...you never liked it, remember...I bet he ain't gonna say no ever again!
LuisGonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:12 AM   #97
RHJ

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie Bloo View Post
It will have great sentimental value in years to come.

A watch you wouldn't wear today, you probably may wear in the future.

Tastes change over time.
I totally agree with this and would hold it and just wait. Wear it sometimes at home may be with modern straps and test it without showing it to others.
Selling you will regret sooner or later for sure
Old 14 February 2017, 05:13 AM   #98
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I am somewhat pragmatic and there are a million different family, personal, and socio economic situations that life deals out to all. I would never want to but would never say never so as not to become a liar!
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:17 AM   #99
swils8610

No way. Never. You will regret it someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:20 AM   #100
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

My late father gave me his Rolex several years prior to passing. Although it's not my daily, it's my favorite and I will treasure it forever. Not a watch in the world can replace it.

Keep it, one day you will understand.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:20 AM   #101
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I have both my grandfathers watches, and will most likely end up getting my fathers as well. All are priceless to me, and I would NEVER consider selling them.
Old 14 February 2017, 05:23 AM   #102
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I wouldn't because of all the reasons mentioned but especially since there will come the day, unfortunately, when having one thing that was close to him be there as a reminder or connection could mean a great deal to you.

IDK if you have or plan on having children but the possibility of someday being able to hand it over to one of them saying it was their GP's might also mean a great deal to them.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:24 AM   #103
Yurigs
"TRF" Member

wouldn't even cross my mind
Yurigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:27 AM   #104
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Judging from the response, I think this would have been Better to do in a Poll format.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:27 AM   #105
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
No.

Only exception would be for a zombie apocalypse and I needed to trade it for food or weapons.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #106
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
People don't part with watches like Seiko, citizen low priced and outdated watches given by their father and here the OP wants to sell a 'Rolex' just coz its not his style? That is Datejust and there's no one who doesn't like that watch sooner or later! Well, I can't even picture this scenario.. Finally its OP's choice!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:36 AM   #107
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaby2afc View Post
My father has gifted me his two-tone 16013 recently. Whilst, I'm grateful for this gesture, it's a watch that I just cannot see myself wearing and which I expressed to him. He told me to keep it and do whatever I wish with it.

It has crossed the back of my mind to sell it to fund another watch which is more to my liking. Every time I think of that, I just get a dirty and guilty feeling in my gut. If I do, I don't know if I'll come to regret it at a later point. I don't see the DJ appreciating in value anytime soon since it's probably the most popular selling Rolex of all time. I don't think it'll be some rare piece 30 years from now. If I do manage to sell it, it'll be gone forever! I'm not sure what to do.

What would you do?
I don't even know how to answer this... question. No, don't sell it. It's your father's gift to you. Don't sell it. A father's gift of that sort is supposed to be meaningful for a son. But what do I know... I would never sell it and would pass it on to my daughter. I know she would love it.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:45 AM   #108
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I would never part with it. If your tastes don't change and it's something you would never consider wearing, consider passing it on to your own children, if any. Someone in your immediate family will treasure that watch some day. And it may even be you.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:48 AM   #109
Toaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II 1655
If the few thousand dollars is life changing money to you and it enables you to move out of your car or put food on the table, I would do it. Otherwise never.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:52 AM   #110
THC

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
If the few thousand dollars is life changing money to you and it enables you to move out of your car or put food on the table, I would do it. Otherwise never.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:55 AM   #111
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
Judging from the response, I think this would have been Better to do in a Poll format.
I don't!!

I think there is only me and perhaps two others that would consider selling it!
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:56 AM   #112
OgSnowflake
Banned

Depends on if you like your dad, if u have no feelings for him cash is way cooler than a 2 tone datejust you don't even like. If you have even the slightest positive feeling about him never get rid of it or you'll regret it.
OgSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 05:56 AM   #113
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
No. One of the driving factors for me in buying a Rolex was to hand it down to my son. It may mean more to him than you realize or he's letting on.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:06 AM   #114
colpol
"TRF" Member

Sentiments over rated

If your not going to wear it & buy something you will wear - it'll sit in a drawer & someone else down the line will do the selling

Also sounds like your dads still alive & the fact you've expressed the fact it's not for you & he doesn't sound that bothered

( you got any brothers or a son who might appreciate it ???)
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:07 AM   #115
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Nope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:17 AM   #116
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Only if it was to buy food for my children.
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:21 AM   #117
jjhansen
"TRF" Member

Never, ever. When he is gone you will long cherish the memories.
jjhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:25 AM   #118
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfixer21 View Post
My grandfather and I used to fish together every chance we had. He had a very extensive collection of old fishing gear. He always told that one day it would be mine. As he and my grandmother got into their late 70's, it was necessary to move them nearer to my family. As he and I packed his garage, he said it was time for me to have all of it. I told him I'd take good care of it. He said to me," I imagine some of that is worth a lot of money, sell it and pocket some cash". I said I wouldn't do that because it was from him. He smiled and said, "If you need "stuff" to remember me by, I didn't give you very many memories". I no longer hang on to "stuff", and have told my kids the same thing.
Wise words from your Grandfather.

I have my late father 16013 sitting in the safe, and keep thinking about using it and my 16610 Sub as a trade-in for a PM Rolex. My late mother and I shared the cost and bought the 16013 for my Dad when he retired, as he'd always lusted after a Rolex. So, it does have sentimental attachment, but even though it was about the only material thing he treasured, he would also have said the same as your Grandfather. My Dad's family lost everything twice during WW2 when there home was bombed twice, so he had a very unmaterialistic view of possessions for the rest of his life, and wouldn't blink if he knew I would get rid of it, especially for a PM Rolex which was his dream to own. He say go for it.
Last year I had to clear out the old family home after my Mum died, and she kept everything. Took me ages, and it made me realise that you cant take it with you, and someone else might one day just bin your stuff after your gone, so better to do it yourself, and try and find good homes for stuff.
Having said all that, I still can't quite pluck up the courage to get rid of Dad's watch......

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:54 AM   #119
JElvis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would say keep it. Unless your father has 10 watches and just threw it your way and does not care what you do with it. If he was a one watch guy and cherished the watch. Keep it. I work with someone who has his late father's watch on, and he absolutely admires it to the max. tough one. Good luck.
JElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 06:57 AM   #120
dcfella
"TRF" Member

I'd definitely keep it, even if it was just as a sentimental piece for the future. If there's another rolex you prefer, buy it with your own money.
dcfella is offline   Reply With Quote