The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 December 2009, 07:25 AM   #91
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by b rodgers View Post
where i shop for for my watches i am treated very nice. a glass or wine or maybe a cup of tea. i sit in a comfortable chair. and can discuss topics that pretain to rolexes as well as other watches. I look at this way. I can go to the local ymca to exercise or I can go to a spa either way I get to to exercise. When I am shopping for luxury items I would prefer it not where I buy diapers!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you care more about the buying experience than the actual watch. IMO, the experience comes & goes in a matter of minutes (maybe hours), but the item purchased is all that really matters.

Personally, I would rather save considerable money buying at the location that gave me the best price & with the extra cash saved I can buy a whole case of fine wine, tea, ect which is to my taste, not the stores. Not to mention, I would rather enjoy my new purchase in the comfort of my own home (which btw has a lot more comfortable furniture than what I've seen at any AD store).

Call me crazy, but I don't really care about hanging out w/ a bunch of stranger sales people that only want to butter me up in the hopes that I'll purchase more stuff from them at hyper-inflated prices. It's false 'friendship' and something I could do without (then again, I'll take hanging out at home w/ my wife & dogs any day over time spent in stores and shopping ...if I never had to shop for another item at a store in my life it would be fine by me).
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 07:31 AM   #92
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Call me crazy
OK, you're crazy.

Quote:
I don't really care about hanging out w/ a bunch of stranger sales people that only want to butter me up in the hopes that I'll purchase more stuff from them at hyper-inflated prices.

X2. Its the watch I'm after, not the spa.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 07:41 AM   #93
Flash Gordon

Quote:
Sounds like you care more about the buying experience than the actual watch. IMO, the experience comes & goes in a matter of minutes (maybe hours), but the item purchased is all that really matters.

Personally, I would rather save considerable money buying at the location that gave me the best price & with the extra cash saved I can buy a whole case of fine wine, tea, ect which is to my taste, not the stores. Not to mention, I would rather enjoy my new purchase in the comfort of my own home (which btw has a lot more comfortable furniture than what I've seen at any AD store).

Call me crazy, but I don't really care about hanging out w/ a bunch of stranger sales people that only want to butter me up in the hopes that I'll purchase more stuff from them at hyper-inflated prices. It's false 'friendship' and something I could do without (then again, I'll take hanging out at home w/ my wife & dogs any day over time spent in stores and shopping ...if I never had to shop for another item at a store in my life it would be fine by me).
I could not agree with you more! I don't need some one to suck up to me when I buy something because I know from experience, I will be paying more for it. Just like my local Mercedes dealer who gives out capuccinos, pastries, and flat screen for you to watch, heck it even has a pool table too. I never buy any cars from them (test drive maybe), only take my car there for warranty service because it's location is convenient for me.
Flash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 07:42 AM   #94
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Watch: the 4Sale section!
Quote:
where i shop for for my watches i am treated very nice. a glass or wine or maybe a cup of tea. i sit in a comfortable chair. and can discuss topics that pretain to rolexes as well as other watches. I look at this way. I can go to the local ymca to exercise or I can go to a spa either way I get to to exercise. When I am shopping for luxury items I would prefer it not where I buy diapers!!!!!!!!
I assume you are the same guy who buys a Lexus because they give you donuts and CNN in the waiting room? (Not that there's anything wrong with Lexuses).

I recently found out from an ex-AD that Rolex dealers average a 40-45% markup on every watch they sell at MSR... I hope you enjoy that cup of tea!
Playdrv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 08:32 AM   #95
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

It doesn't do well for resale prices. If this continue and Rolex are sold at such places, yes sure you will pick them up cheap, but what you have now will not be worth much either.
In my opinion if you are not content with the prices of Rolex then why not look at Tudors, they are the cheaper branch of Rolex. But I agree with others here, and feel it is ruining the prestige of the brand.
Old 29 December 2009, 08:58 AM   #96
Playdrv4me
"TRF" Member

Watch: the 4Sale section!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullyterrier View Post
It doesn't do well for resale prices. If this continue and Rolex are sold at such places, yes sure you will pick them up cheap, but what you have now will not be worth much either.
In my opinion if you are not content with the prices of Rolex then why not look at Tudors, they are the cheaper branch of Rolex. But I agree with others here, and feel it is ruining the prestige of the brand.
The point everyone seems to be missing however is that this is NOT Rolex's fault, nor is it anywhere within their control... just like it is not within their control to regulate the sale of their timepieces on Bernardwatch, Demesy, JomaShop or any of those other internet peddlers. The resale Rolex industry has been around since the beginning of Rolex, and it hasn't hurt Rolex one bit. If anything, it spurs interest as more people are able to enjoy them.
Playdrv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:01 AM   #97
Speed
"TRF" Member

Trying to imagine Turdneau serving wine....there is no place to sit. Just counterspace / bonehead sales reps.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:07 AM   #98
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Trying to imagine Turdneau serving wine....there is no place to sit. Just counterspace / bonehead sales reps.
I hate when they sometimes think, oh you're just a kid, you can't afford anything in this room. But it's kind of ironic when the salesman is wearing a 10 year old Tag Formula Quartz and I'm wearing a Rolex Explorer...
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:17 AM   #99
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
I hate when they sometimes think, oh you're just a kid, you can't afford anything in this room. But it's kind of ironic when the salesman is wearing a 10 year old Tag Formula Quartz and I'm wearing a Rolex Explorer...
HAHAHHAHA... good one Kyle. You would a store - esp one like Turdneau - would "lend" each sales person a top-drawer watch. This would at least give the illusion that the rep is a WIS.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:19 AM   #100
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Quote:
Originally Posted by masugu View Post
HAHAHHAHA... good one Kyle. You would a store - esp one like Turdneau - would "lend" each sales person a top-drawer watch. This would at least give the illusion that the rep is a WIS.
I guess not. I think buying at costco would probably be better compared to Tourneau. Now that's sad.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:25 PM   #101
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Cannot understand why especially if its the same watch at a far cheaper price,its still a Rolex no matter where you buy it.IMHO Rolex has had a strangle hold over its parts/watches supply especially in the USA far to long.If you buy a car and want a part for that car,you can buy it from the dealership.Then you can fit that part yourself or have it fitted by the mechanic of your choice.And to a good watchmaker a Rolex is no more difficult to service than any other movement if he has access to parts.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 01:24 AM   #102
psv
2024 Pledge Member

My local Costco always carry high-end watches like Breitling, Cartier, even an IWC as of late, however, I have yet to see any Rolexes there.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2010, 06:56 PM   #103
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1point4 View Post
My local Costco always carry high-end watches like Breitling, Cartier, even an IWC as of late, however, I have yet to see any Rolexes there.
X2. I've visited 3 Costco's in SoCal (Long Beach, Burbank & Palm Springs) during the past year...never seen a Rolex.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2010, 11:47 PM   #104
WWIIBuff

Watch: JLC Master Moon
I once caught a Patek @ my local costco for sale, so nothing shocks me at costco.
WWIIBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2010, 02:39 PM   #105
flatpat

That ain't nothin'. Costco sold a few Pateks thru their website a year a two ago.
flatpat is offline   Reply With Quote