The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2015, 01:42 AM   #91
Lord
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watch watchers
If this were me I would be in touch with HQ in Switzerland. A professional tool, looked after professionally and failing under professional use in the environment it is designed for should and likely is a highly important matter for Rolex.

I would anticipate the same response you expect and get from Snap-On - immediate replacement with no questions or queries, and a belly-scraping apology!

Good luck OP, keep the faith!!!
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 03:08 AM   #92
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

A real thread about what the watch is designed to do. Hope it gets sorted!
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 03:54 AM   #93
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
Times infinity

Times infinity........
My guess is that Rolex not only needs to know but really WANTs to know about this at the corporate level. I don't think you will have any problems at all getting them to replace your watch with a brand new one. I would also expect that they will dissect yours to find out how and why this happened. You are part of their R&D staff at this point which is hugely valuable to them. They could not ask for a better situation to vet out the situation.
HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
If this were me I would be in touch with HQ in Switzerland. A professional tool, looked after professionally and failing under professional use in the environment it is designed for should and likely is a highly important matter for Rolex.

I would anticipate the same response you expect and get from Snap-On - immediate replacement with no questions or queries, and a belly-scraping apology!

Good luck OP, keep the faith!!!
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 05:56 AM   #94
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear (but glad you shared). Hope it works out and Rolex takes care of it.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2015, 06:20 AM   #95
Cdn328is
Banned

Watch: 114060
Getting fed up with my DSSD.....

I think it's unrealistically optimistic to suggest that Rolex will replace the watch no questions asked. They might service it again under the current 2 year service warranty but I would expect nothing more from them.

99% of their clientele even for dive watches are desk divers. 99% (probably more like 99.999%, realistically) of their dive watches won't ever reach depths bellow the deep end of the pool or a shallow coral reef near the beach on a snorkelling tour in the Caribbean.

The DSSD was designed to withstand the depth it does not for practical reasons but to provide the marketing team with material, nothing more. It's an admirable feat of engineering, but I don't think anyone at Rolex actually thinks that their dive watches are actually used as diving tools, just as their Daytonas aren't used to officially time racing events.

I highly doubt that an emergency response team will be formed at Rolex HQ to navigate this "crisis" once the OP is in contact with them again. As much as I love Rolex watches (and believe me I do!) they are more functional (and durable) theme inspired jewelry than tools used by professionals (dive watches sell on the adventurous nature of divers, Daytonas sell on the spirit of motor sports, explorers on exploration of the most secluded landscapes on earth like Mount Everest, yacht masters sell on the fantasy to own and race a yacht etc.).

I'm not saying that rolexes aren't capable, just that they're seldom depended upon to serve a real purpose in professional functions. They're designed to instil emotions, aspirations even fantasies in the buyer.

That's why I think that they might service it, note the points of failure (most probably a gasket), fix it and return the watch to the OP. I highly doubt that the OPs watch will be examined by a team of engineers for weeks on end...

Question to the OP, do you (and your colleagues) also use a dive computer or other timing/monitoring equipment on your dives or are you solely relying on your DSSD for timekeeping?
Cdn328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2015, 11:32 PM   #96
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn328is View Post
I think it's unrealistically optimistic to suggest that Rolex will replace the watch no questions asked. They might service it again under the current 2 year service warranty but I would expect nothing more from them.

99% of their clientele even for dive watches are desk divers. 99% (probably more like 99.999%, realistically) of their dive watches won't ever reach depths bellow the deep end of the pool or a shallow coral reef near the beach on a snorkelling tour in the Caribbean.

The DSSD was designed to withstand the depth it does not for practical reasons but to provide the marketing team with material, nothing more. It's an admirable feat of engineering, but I don't think anyone at Rolex actually thinks that their dive watches are actually used as diving tools, just as their Daytonas aren't used to officially time racing events.

I highly doubt that an emergency response team will be formed at Rolex HQ to navigate this "crisis" once the OP is in contact with them again. As much as I love Rolex watches (and believe me I do!) they are more functional (and durable) theme inspired jewelry than tools used by professionals (dive watches sell on the adventurous nature of divers, Daytonas sell on the spirit of motor sports, explorers on exploration of the most secluded landscapes on earth like Mount Everest, yacht masters sell on the fantasy to own and race a yacht etc.).

I'm not saying that rolexes aren't capable, just that they're seldom depended upon to serve a real purpose in professional functions. They're designed to instil emotions, aspirations even fantasies in the buyer.

That's why I think that they might service it, note the points of failure (most probably a gasket), fix it and return the watch to the OP. I highly doubt that the OPs watch will be examined by a team of engineers for weeks on end...

Question to the OP, do you (and your colleagues) also use a dive computer or other timing/monitoring equipment on your dives or are you solely relying on your DSSD for timekeeping?

Would be inclined to agree with a couple of points raised here. Rolex are probably well aware that the majority of owners buy on the basis of the marketing promotion and the respective links to exploration, sea, motor sports etc. Relatively few end up being used to extremes in the true sense but their marketing strategy works well for them. Would also agree that a replacement watch seems unlikely here - these have been put through fairly rigorous testing etc from the outset, so a fix in this instance will probably be very apparent to Rolex without having them having to delve too deep into causes etc. A complete replacement seems unrealistic but who knows and for the OPs sake, it would be a very nice touch indeed.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2015, 01:18 AM   #97
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by johneh View Post
This makes no sense. There's no way it would be designed in a way that would allow for less water resistance at depths that 99% of the people wearing them are diving to. Rolex surely understands that nearly everyone wearing a DSSD is not going to hit 30m, let alone 200m. OP probably just got a dud.
I agree. If it was the case that the DSSD was less water resistant at lesser depths than at greater depths, that would be the biggest blunder in Rolex history--maybe even watchmaking history.

Besides, you can't get to greater depths without traversing lesser depths. Well, maybe you can with submersibles.

I can't imagine a watch that is waterproof at 12000 ft. but leaks like a sieve while splashing around in a swimming pool.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 07:43 AM   #98
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 07:53 AM   #99
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
as long as the supervisors clock works ,,, be interested to hear the outcome on this ,
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:33 AM   #100
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
as long as the supervisors clock works ,,, be interested to hear the outcome on this ,
Agreed. We hear so much about we shouldn't worry about little cosmetic defects with Rolex QC (not a view I share personally), but here is apparently a real issue with the exact tool use the watch was intended for. Very much hope the OP can give us an update
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:49 AM   #101
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquanaut View Post
...what to do? Following on from this thread a couple of years ago...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=294847
I sent my Deepsea off to Rolex UK and was hit with a £750 bill on a 3 year old watch. Damage to oscillating weight inside, new bezel and service etc. I phoned Rolex UK and to their credit the head of training the technicians called me back. Had a really good chat with him about the watch and he was interested in the life offshore of a sat diver. He actually travelled round Rolex centres running workshops to the techs so was very interesting to speak to him.
Anyway since I received the watch back it never really run well. Always gaining time. I have put it back to be regulated but it's still the same. I am currently offshore again in saturation and the watch is gaining 2-3 minutes every few days. It has also started steaming up again, after dives, between 2-4 o clock to the centre of the watch. I was told this was normal but it's been fine until the last few dives. Also the other divers ancient seiko has never fogged up!
Anyway, looks like it will have to go back to Rolex again but getting disillusioned with the watch and not sure wether to keep it or not. :(
Quote:
183m is the deepest. Been diving now at 120m but decompressing now. Other divers have also reported fogging in the lens
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Obviously something is not quite right with your DSSD.
According to Rolex, that watch should have no problems on your dives.
From The Last Frontier book...

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2015, 08:58 AM   #102
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

The only difference I can see between Rolex's testing--and even James Cameron's little field test--is that neither involves actually saturating the watch with helium. Perhaps water is getting inside the case during the pressure equalization process. Unlikely, but....
JeremyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 02:11 AM   #103
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Obviously something is not quite right with your DSSD.
According to Rolex, that watch should have no problems on your dives.
From The Last Frontier book...

Well, they dropped it down really far in the ocean, which is kinda useless, and just more of a gimic than anything.
They seem to fail to have tested what it was intended for.
What they should have done was test it in FUNCTIONAL situations such as where divers need to be in saturated enviornments.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:15 AM   #104
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdawg View Post
Did you ever get to the bottom of this?
Not yet.....the local AD could not be more helpful. Watch is at Rolex so will wait to hear from them, hopefully soon.
Due back offshore next week so guess it will be the original sea-dweller back in action!
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:23 AM   #105
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
Quote:
Not yet.....the local AD could not be more helpful. Watch is at Rolex so will wait to hear from them, hopefully soon.
Due back offshore next week so guess it will be the original sea-dweller back in action!
Thanks for the update, keep us posted!
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:26 AM   #106
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklaiss View Post
Would love to see some pictures!!
Don't really have pics but there is some stuff on you tube which is pretty similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rsh33flgI
Old 30 July 2015, 02:34 PM   #107
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Thanks for the update, looking forward to hearing the answer from Rolex.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 04:37 PM   #108
Degas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, never had a problem with it. Wear that when home from offshore now

I knew you can always count on the SD! (although my deepest dive is only for 60M)
Degas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 05:07 PM   #109
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Is a saturation diver in the water while he is transferred to his working depth?

I though not, so that take out the suggestion that a DSSD may not be waterproof at lesser depths.

However 120 meters could be a 'lesser depth' for a watch rated to 3900m.

So where are we now?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2015, 05:29 PM   #110
kudosguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with your DSSD, I love mine, but have never been diving with it. If I were you I would push them to replace it as it doesn't sound right to me. Good luck ��
kudosguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2015, 07:02 PM   #111
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Aquanaut - any updates please ????
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2015, 07:36 PM   #112
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
isnt this a simple case of being sold goods that are not fit for purpose ,,,,,
thats a case for repair replacement or refund.
i think youve been more than reasonable , time for an official letter of complaint to the head of customer service , trouble with big companies is getting the complaint onto the desk of the right person ,,,, i doubt comex would have had the same hassle.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2015, 08:00 PM   #113
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex fan 61 View Post
Aquanaut - any updates please ????
Not as yet, I emailed the local AD yesterday so hopefully hear from them this week. I was a bit delayed sending my watch in so reckon Rolex have had it for a couple of weeks now. I am back offshore in saturation with '95 sea-dweller. Not missed a beat. Timekeeping excellent and no fogging!
Old 16 August 2015, 08:45 PM   #114
Hi-roller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT's,1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
You would have thought Rolex would have swapped it straight away rather than face this negative publicity. It's quite embarrassing really IMO.
Absolutely! Rolex should be extremely concerned. I'm amazed they haven't replaced yours with a new one and asked you to report back to them after use. This brings into question the whole legitimacy of the watch. Have you contacted Rolex Head Office?
Hi-roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2015, 02:55 AM   #115
Shrptharpe
"TRF" Member

Still interested in seeing other similar issues with the DSSD.Not to minimize this one but it could be an isolated incident or another contributor to the incident. Got to be more divers with DSSDs that can share their experiences. Not ready to throw up the red flag yet...
Shrptharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2015, 10:09 PM   #116
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Heard from Rolex via AD....watch will be repaired / serviced under warranty. Will take about 2 weeks. Still waiting to hear to the cause of fogging & erratic timekeeping so hopefully they will get back to me.
Old 21 August 2015, 01:40 AM   #117
trackntrail
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Thanks for the update! Hopefully all should work itself out.
trackntrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 02:43 AM   #118
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Heard from Rolex via AD....watch will be repaired / serviced under warranty. Will take about 2 weeks. Still waiting to hear to the cause of fogging & erratic timekeeping so hopefully they will get back to me.
Great news!
Hope you have no more problems after this.

Thanks for the updates, and would appreciate future postings once you get it back and dive with it. Would be really disappointing if the DSSD can't handle how you use it in your work.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 07:02 AM   #119
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Thanks aqunaut please keep us updated, stay safe ok it's a dangerous profession your in.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2015, 07:11 PM   #120
msfejerskov
"TRF" Member

Hi aquanaut

What strap do you have on your Seadweller when on job?

I assume that the bracelet will not fit over a protection/diving suit even with the extension.
msfejerskov is offline   Reply With Quote