The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2020, 02:17 PM   #91
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Look, it’s obvious that have spent some time contemplating what watch you want and had set out for a Submariner. The GMT has an additional complication and is a TT. Not something you can compare.

I agree that the GMT is very nice and not as flashy as you might think. In person it’s a very nice watch.

Don’t let the pressure of building a relationship with an AD deviate you from your plans. If you do so, you will always feel that you were taken.

If you like the GMT in its own merit and you will wear it, then go for it. TT in general is less popular than SS or solid PM watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 02:18 PM   #92
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you do like the CHNR, not called the rootbeer - there is already that model, then I'd buy it, no different to the others, then you can build a relationship with AD.

Exactly. No drinks here. CHNR

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 05:43 PM   #93
jamescarter2a
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mostly Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
Thank you. I'm going to go in tomorrow and try it on again and see if I have the same reaction now that I'm better prepared and have the same reaction. If it "sings" to me, I'll pull the trigger.

Thank you everyone for your help!
You said in your first post "However, I kind of fell in love with (the) watch".
That's something.

Indeed if you feel something when putting the Rootbeer on and not with the Submariner, get the Rootbeer (if you can afford it and if you are comfortable wearing a TT watch on a daily basis, of course).

It's a stunning piece.
jamescarter2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 06:08 PM   #94
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
AD is just trying to pull you in...imho...as a beginner i would go with the SS Sub and see how you like it
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:31 PM   #95
nevergiveup
Banned

Slow down, wait for the sub please !
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:40 PM   #96
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
GMT and Sub are different but I may say "equally respected" (using your words).
I think it is more about your feelings than building a relationship with your AD.

If you love the watch, go for it. If not, wait for your Sub as your first Rolex watch.
To me, buying a watch is an emotional act, you need to get this adrenaline and more important, you need to love it, otherwise, you will not wear it as you have to.
I had a couple of Rolex from vintage to modern, and other brands, but the one I bought three years ago (a modest OP39 114300 Dark Rhodium) is maybe my favorite emotional purchase. Over the 16710 Coke that I love, the 1603 Wide Boy or the 16570 Polar. I just walked by Bucherer Geneva one day after work, I was tired and just looking at this watch : whoa ! Get inside, ask to wear it and booom ! On my wrist.
I love wearing it time to time.
So pull the trigger on the one you want, the one you'll wear proudly, and the one which celebrate his important milestone o n your life, because we live only once !
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 07:44 PM   #97
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:02 PM   #98
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I have both and love them for different reasons. Both get wear and I’m glad to have them too.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

If you pass it will show your AD that you are serious about getting what you want and I think it’s likely they will get you a sub.

However .... if you want to build a collection over time. I’d get this one now and wait for the sub. Passing this time for the sub might mean you never get offered the CHNR again.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:11 PM   #99
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Respect Does anybody "respect" a Sub any more?

2. It has gold parts, it's going to cost more.

3. Any Rolex will hold it's own - no need to try and compare it to something else

4. It's a good looking watch.

Get a watch that you want to wear and have been looking forward to. Only you can decide if you want a TT vs. a SS, or whatever.

/thread
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:43 PM   #100
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Two-tones can be quite a refreshing sight to behold in a sea of SS. Maybe yes.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 10:55 PM   #101
jpcwon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, Lg Reverso
In my opinion, you're at least doing it right by jumping in head first and acquiring a desirable piece that will stay in demand for a long time. I can't tell you how many thousands I lost by buying cheapo "beginner" watches that you'll be basically stuck with if you ever decide to sell them.

Ultimately you should buy what you like, but there's something to be said for going straight for the good stuff IMO ;)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2020, 11:41 PM   #102
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1. Respect Does anybody "respect" a Sub any more?

2. It has gold parts, it's going to cost more.

3. Any Rolex will hold it's own - no need to try and compare it to something else

4. It's a good looking watch.

Get a watch that you want to wear and have been looking forward to. Only you can decide if you want a TT vs. a SS, or whatever.
This

I will add go for the TT Chnr, and still keep your name for a sub. If they call, and you still want the sub that's good. If you don't want it just tell them to put you on another SS Sports list, and this time pick a harder one to get.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:02 AM   #103
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Make sure it absolutely sings to you!

If you think you are settling even if it is 1%, don't do it. You will regret the decision to not wait for what you really want.
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #104
Podmornica
Banned

If you are willing to stretch that much for an CHNR, why not consider the 126710BLRO or BLNR on the gray market or sale section of the forum?

They are not to be found "everywhere" like the Submariners and are very easy to team with formal to casual attire.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:36 AM   #105
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Go take a look at it....try it on and see if it moves you. If not...wait for what you want ....exactly what you want. There is no rush.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:39 AM   #106
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Wait for the sub.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 12:43 AM   #107
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

For me it has to be love at first sight or I am just not doing it. With that being said, there are some "historic" pieces I do want in my collection but they tend to be shoved down the list.

As others have mentioned, don't buy it "just because it's available" as you will probably regret it and have to deal with the hassle of flipping it. "I should have gotten..."
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 01:01 AM   #108
mas12
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
I think it's possible you would have researched and loved any watch they would have offered you... just because you know how hard it is to get a SS sports model nowadays.

I thought I wanted a BLNR first back in late 2016, had an offer to buy one in 2017 from AD but wasn't ready to pull the trigger. Gave myself a few months to think about what I truly wanted and actually settled on a Sub. I expressed interest in mid-2018 and purchased in Nov 2018. Don't regret choosing the Sub over BLNR as my first one bit.

I also had an opportunity to buy a DSSD that I turned down.

Bottom line is do not rush into it and do not buy just cause you have the opportunity to do so. Follow your gut!

Rolex SubC 116610LN
mas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #109
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
well....did you buy it?
i bet he did!
hard to let a watch like that go!
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 03:48 AM   #110
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Again, I clearly mentioned you could be none of those and was in no way trying to be snobby. If anything you’re lending a hand to that stereotype though, as you literally said you want to buy a watch to try and ‘flex’ on other people and look better than them?

Anyhow good luck
I wouldn't take your comments as snobby in any way. Quite honestly, if the OP needs to ask others which watch to get rather than make the decision on his own then he isn't ready to purchase anyway. OP seems to be in it for the wrong reasons, at least imo.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:09 AM   #111
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I wouldn't take your comments as snobby in any way. Quite honestly, if the OP needs to ask others which watch to get rather than make the decision on his own then he isn't ready to purchase anyway. OP seems to be in it for the wrong reasons, at least imo.
There's nothing wrong with a little advice along the way!
i'm pretty new to this game and i find this site and the knowledge of some of the guys on here amazing!
lately i spend more time reading on here than i do with the misses!
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #112
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like that TT better than a sub soo yes, take it
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 04:42 AM   #113
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesium137 View Post
It’s not about watch enthusiasts being snobs. It’s about men having the fortitude to make their own decisions. My advice, don’t buy a Rolex. You’re not ready
Aside from being rather harsh, I don't think it's appropriate. "Not ready?" It's a freakin' watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
AD is just trying to pull you in...imho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas12 View Post
Bottom line is do not rush into it and do not buy just cause you have the opportunity to do so. Follow your gut!
Another upwards facing thumb.

My 2 cents: TT is lovely, but it's flashy and not everyone wants that. The iconic sub is about as low key as you can get with a stainless steel Swiss watch.

$17K is an awful lot of money to spend on a whim. Heck, so is $10K. Even in Loonies.

Take your time. You're young, there is no hurry.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:25 AM   #114
m3tek44
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: this
Just like yourself I am newbie to watches. I narrowed down to two model (Batman/Explore) and picked up Batman 116710BLNR. Love it. End of the day your going to wear it so go with what YOU LIKE.
m3tek44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:28 AM   #115
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooey View Post
There's nothing wrong with a little advice along the way!
i'm pretty new to this game and i find this site and the knowledge of some of the guys on here amazing!
lately i spend more time reading on here than i do with the misses!
That may be a good way to get a veto on the next purchase jk

But the forums are great to learn how watches work and specifics to each model. Just my perspective but if you need to ask others which watch to get, that is just asking for a regrettable purchase. You need to come to terms on your own with which watch you want to get, otherwise you will never truly be happy.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:36 AM   #116
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
That may be a good way to get a veto on the next purchase jk

But the forums are great to learn how watches work and specifics to each model. Just my perspective but if you need to ask others which watch to get, that is just asking for a regrettable purchase. You need to come to terms on your own with which watch you want to get, otherwise you will never truly be happy.
So, researching, making my choice, and buying before finding this site was OK?

I really wished that I'd come here first but the minute a tried on a Daytona I knew. As you boys often refer to "IT SANG TO ME"! Such a lovely song!

Let's hear from this OP!
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 05:53 AM   #117
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
OP, did you buy the TT CHNR???
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 06:58 AM   #118
nr1416
"TRF" Member

Came back to this thread today to see the outcome.....

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:08 AM   #119
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

UPDATE:

Hey all, thanks so much for all of the help everyone provided me. I took the perspectives raised here, along with my own, to my AD today.

He was very open and honest with me. He didn't pressure me. We talked for 45 minutes about all things Rolex before looking at the watch. He told me to only buy it if I love it.

When I tried it on again today, I still felt it was a stunner. It suited me very well, more than a sub would. To be honest, the only other Rolex I've looked in at awe has been the white dial Daytona. As much as I'd like a sub, Hulk, Pepsi or batman: I'm just in it for the hype with those watches, I don't find them particularly good looking. So with all that being said. I followed my heart and made the purchase.

This was a roller coaster of an experience filled with confusion, but for my first Rolex I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm now looking back on it all with a smile, what an experience. I think she's a beauty and I'm proud to have her on my wrist. Thank you all again for your help and I look to be an active member on this forum!

Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2020, 08:10 AM   #120
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapraxis View Post
UPDATE:

Hey all, thanks so much for all of the help everyone provided me. I took the perspectives raised here, along with my own, to my AD today.

He was very open and honest with me. He didn't pressure me. We talked for 45 minutes about all things Rolex before looking at the watch. He told me to only buy it if I love it.

When I tried it on again today, I still felt it was a stunner. It suited me very well, more than a sub would. To be honest, the only other Rolex I've looked in at awe has been the white dial Daytona. As much as I'd like a sub, Hulk, Pepsi or batman: I'm just in it for the hype with those watches, I don't find them particularly good looking. So with all that being said. I followed my heart and made the purchase.

This was a roller coaster of an experience filled with confusion, but for my first Rolex I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm now looking it back on it all with a smile, what an experience. I think she's a beauty and I'm proud to have her on my wrist. Thank you all again for your help and I look to be an active member on this forum!
Whoa whoa whoa ...... we need pictures!!!!! And Congratulations! Sounds like you were able to put all the noise aside and pick what you like - well done!
logo is offline   Reply With Quote